Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 01-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Nigella's Coca Cola Ham!

I just had to share this recipe, as it is so good. I do realise that the basis of this recipe is from the US (the south), so apologies if you all have tried it!

Some years ago I saw Nigella Lawson make coca cola ham on TV. I thought then that it looked amazing and always fancied trying it. However with just my son and myself at home it wasn't really justifiable to buy a ham. However, I had the opportunity this Christmas, at my mum's. I boiled the ham in the two litres of coke then let it sit overnight. The next afternoon I did the rest of the recipe, and WOW!! All five of us couldn't believe how good it was. I have NEVER tasted better, more tender, sweet ham in my life. The best bit of it for me, was the delicious edge of crisped fat, with its sweet, spicy aroma and wonderful flavour, heaven! That 2kg (4.4lbs) ham was eaten completely in one sitting! And ohhh the gravy it made from the cooking liquor! I have frozen most of the liquor and will use it for a casserole. Next week I plan to buy a couple of racks of ham ribs from the butcher and cook them the same way, I'll post when I have, and let you know if it is good!

Here is the recipe, and apologies for no picture with my post - we had eaten the entire ham before I thought!

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/recipe.asp?article=149

p.s. black treacle - molasses
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Sounds yummy. My MIL would bake one of those canned hams in beer every year for Christmas. I'm generally not a big fan of potted meat, but this ham is very good prepared this way! MIL passed away this year, so I prepared the traditional canned ham for hubby and stepdaughter. "Just like Mom's!" he said. There's something about the carbonation, I guess.
Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risible View Post
Sounds yummy. My MIL would bake one of those canned hams in beer every year for Christmas. I'm generally not a big fan of potted meat, but this ham is very good prepared this way! MIL passed away this year, so I prepared the traditional canned ham for hubby and stepdaughter. "Just like Mom's!" he said. There's something about the carbonation, I guess.
Wow I've never heard of cooking canned ham! that sounds bizarre, but I believe you that it's good! I once made a beef and bean casserole with guinness, followed the recipe exactly. But it was too beery, I didnt like it, ugh.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Well, the ham is precooked, comes that way, but it is kinda tasty in an oversalted, comfort-food way. It's good for sandwiches, too, the next day. I used most of the leftovers for split pea soup and that was good, too.

Next time I buy a real ham, though, I'd like to try Nigella's recipe. It sounds awesome.
Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #5
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

On a related note, I recall seeing a recipe for Dr. Pepper glazed ham. I have also heard of using Dr. Pepper as a marinade for steak.
ScreamingChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
JeanC
Fat chick with a gun

JeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this board

I like to take a city ham and pour some kind of soda over it to bake. Usually 7UP or maybe oragne soda. Has to be the sugared soda, the sugarfree doesn't work.Last time I used a cherry cola and it was yummy.
JeanC is offline   Reply With Quote