Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 01-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Homemade salad dressing recipes

I am trying my hand at having no processed foods to bring my body to better health and I will be eating a lot of salads for the next 8 weeks (cleansing diet) well i noticed how many calories and salt are in commercial salad dressings. So i thought i might ask you guys who are all into cooking and experimenting who might have some salad dressings that they enjoyed making. I have a couple but they're going to get old really quick

balsamic cilantro dressing:
1/2 c balsamic vinegar
1/4 c water
juice of 3 limes
1 c chopped fresh cilantro
1tbs minced garlic (not the dried stuff)

I do a variation of the above and use 1 lemon and italian seasoning and omit the limes and cilantro

So, any of you have some yummy flavorful dressing recipes? I will still use my ginger seseme dressing because its only 35 cals per serving and its like crack for me.. i LOVE it
Old 01-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

I've always liked the avocado salsa at El Pollo Loco, which is a chain of grilled chicken restaurants here in California. I wasn't able to find nutritional info on it, but I had read somewhere that it had 50 calories/tablespoon. Here's the recipe.
Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have never been to their restaurants since i'm a vegetarian but i think i'm going to try that recipe with my friday taco salad dinner. The higher calories are most likely due to the avocado. i love avocados. thanks for the recipe

I have been scouring online for home made dressings. i found a few that i'm going to try. I really want to keep this as new and exciting as i can so i dont stop it before the 8 weeks is up.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

Here is one I really like, a little bit sweet and sour.

1/4 cup canola oil
3-4 tablespoons pear infused white balsamic vinegar
pinch fleur de sel or other good salt
1/4 tsp or so fresh ground white pepper
very finely sliced or minced white of one scallion
a few drops of honey

I like to use this one with mixed greens. Sometimes I use raspberry vinegar and use it on fresh sliced beets. Sometimes I use plain vinegar and no honey and use it on cucumbers.

Tracy
Old 01-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

Duuuh.... just read that you're vegetarian, Megan.

If you want to make a sweet/sour viniagrette like I posted just substitute a pinch of cane sugar (the rich brown unrefined kind) for the honey. The balsamic vinegar is sweet on its own, but a teensy bit of sweetness added really brings out the fruity notes.

Also, here is one I make all the time. It involves dairy though. I get the good multiple active cultures organic plain yogurt, and add a packet of the herbal dip mix like you get in Whole Foods. I use it as a dipping sauce or thin it a bit with milk and have dressing. I think it's a healthier alternative to packaged dips and ranch dressing. I also like to dip chicken into it, coat in breadcrumbs and bake.

I am making the balsamic cilantro dressing asap. If something has cilantro in it, and limes too? I am ALL OVER it! I bet it would be an amazing marinade too.

Tracy
Old 01-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyarts View Post
Duuuh.... just read that you're vegetarian, Megan.

If you want to make a sweet/sour viniagrette like I posted just substitute a pinch of cane sugar (the rich brown unrefined kind) for the honey. The balsamic vinegar is sweet on its own, but a teensy bit of sweetness added really brings out the fruity notes.

Also, here is one I make all the time. It involves dairy though. I get the good multiple active cultures organic plain yogurt, and add a packet of the herbal dip mix like you get in Whole Foods. I use it as a dipping sauce or thin it a bit with milk and have dressing. I think it's a healthier alternative to packaged dips and ranch dressing. I also like to dip chicken into it, coat in breadcrumbs and bake.

I am making the balsamic cilantro dressing asap. If something has cilantro in it, and limes too? I am ALL OVER it! I bet it would be an amazing marinade too.

Tracy
I'll try my hand at your recipe.. it might be good on my salad that i put some fruit in (the sweet of the fruit could mean omitting the honey or sugar)

The cilantro dressing is yummy and flavorful. i have actually made salads with primarily cilantro and romaine lettuce with tomatillos, black olives, avocado and that dressing without the cilantro. Most people poo poo the idea of cilantro as a lettuce type substitute in a salad but they always LOVE my salad

so far I'm doing well with salads for my main course. I'm coming down from my sugar addiction though.. i still crave mac n cheese big time but that will pass with time too.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
cnk2cav

cnk2cav does more than just post hot picscnk2cav does more than just post hot picscnk2cav does more than just post hot picscnk2cav does more than just post hot pics

never really tried many, but rachael ray seems to make a new salad dressing every time I watch her show and the things i've tried from her are great; hope this helps
cnk2cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

When we were in Victoria last summer we went to this place that was recommended to us for fish and chips (deservedly). It came with a tossed green salad that had a yummy dressing. When we asked if we could buy it the waitress told uss how to make it.

Fresh minced garlic
2 parts fresh lemon juice
1 part good extra virgin olive oil

Whisk together until emulsified, add salt and pepper to taste. It's pretty darn good on steamed asparagus too.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Hi Megan

I found this site which has several nice dressing recipes. My favourite is the classic balsamic one, I tend to make that at home all the time, although I do like honey and mustard, which is weird as normally I like neither honey nor mustard! They also have nice salad ideas here too.

Good luck

http://www.bringonthesalads.com/reci...-recipes.shtml
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #10
GoddessNoir
Milkmaid

GoddessNoir knows EXACTLY what's going onGoddessNoir knows EXACTLY what's going onGoddessNoir knows EXACTLY what's going onGoddessNoir knows EXACTLY what's going onGoddessNoir knows EXACTLY what's going onGoddessNoir knows EXACTLY what's going on

I don't measure, sorry.

olive oil
balsamic vinegar
orange juice white wine
lawry's garlice salt

hummmm

Ecstasy is uncut forests and the smell of fresh baked bread. - Arvuyeda
GoddessNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #11
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

OOOOOOOO good topic!
I remember my mom used to always make her own dressing when I was a kid- I thought it was called "Russian dressing" but she told me recently that it was home version of Catalina. I can't remember all the ingredients anymore but seems like it was only three..... mayo, lemon juice and something else...

Also, in this area, there are a lot of farms so the farmer's markets always have homemade dressings for sale. Some good stuff!

***All the recipes I read here seem to be "vinegarette" or vinegar and oil type of dressings
Does anyone have any for creamy type dressings?

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote