Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
SummerG
summer.bigcuties.com

SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Talking Holiday Food Pictures

AM suggested a turkey day food pic thread, so since it looks like i'm the 1st with pics... here it is! I figured by calling it "Holiday Food Pics" we could also post pics from holiday party foods, and also the feasts to come with the "other" holidays.

The "starters" chocolates (nuts & chewies), nuts, olives, and pickles

The turkey... sort of fell apart... but it was tender & moist

Buttery mashed potatoes

Gravy...mmmmmm

meat stuffing

mashed turnip

croissant (burnt on the bottom *eep*)

Jellied Cranberry Sauce (I love it! to that real cranberry stuff i say PAH!)

more to follow....

Spoil Me! http://amzn.com/w/2KHXXPNUCN9EC

Last edited by SummerG; 11-23-2006 at 02:33 PM.
SummerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
SummerG
summer.bigcuties.com

SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SummerG has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

the table (not terribly fancy... but a nice spread )

my plate... out of all the food... i like 4 things... turkey, potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce (which i eat last so it doesn't touch the rest)

a special turkey skin pic... this was the first taste i had of the bird... and thought of SVS!

now we are too full, but soon i will take pictures of our desserts.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default We're still at it...

Thought I'd post a few pics of how our T-meal is shaping up. Here's our Weber smoker smokin' away...

My husband has the makings of a real pitmaster. He just needs a few more years under his smokin' belt. He is picky about the charcoal he uses, only lump wood charcoal, no starter fluid, no petroleum products, no chemical additives... just 100% natural charcoal. With big chunks of smokin' wood. Today we're using the apple wood and the smoke smells awesome !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize2.jpg (24.8 KB, 962 views)

Last edited by Risible; 11-23-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Post #2

Here's a close-up on the bird. It's looking good... real good. I'm starvin'. We tried a new preparation method this year, following directions from the food section of the Los Angeles Times last week. Instead of brining or marinating we rubbed salt directly on the bird and let it sit overnight. We should have done this a couple of days ago, to allow the salt to soak in over a three-day period, but the bird was still too frozen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize1.jpg (50.3 KB, 947 views)
Old 11-23-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
Risible
Monkey Daze

Default Dessert!

Made a pumpkin cream cheese roll to top everything off. With extra cream cheese frosting .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize3.jpg (56.1 KB, 942 views)
Old 11-23-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

OMG Summer and Risible...I am so jealous!! I did have a lovely meal but there are pangs of disappointment that it wasn't a traditional Thanksgiving.

The meal was not disappointing, however. Just a little fussy. My roomie, Nancy, and I went to local Restaurant David Drakes for dinner.

I chose Pumpkin Gnocchi and Braised Pork Belly with fuji apple, rosemary foam, six spice; Slow Roasted Organic Turkey with homemade brioche-herb stuffing, natural gravy, cranberry sauce and I chose 2 sides - brussels sprout and wild rice; and bread pudding with vanilla carmelized fruit and olive oil chocolate mousse. I am telling you the menu before showing the pics because I want you to be surprised when you see the interpretations of the above dishes.

Some were as expected, others...not so much. But everything was delicious.

If anyone saw Top Chef last night, I thought this meal would have fit into their challenge (a Thanksgiving meal with the flavors of the holiday but "cutting edge".)

The pics are not great, not well composed since I pulled out the camera and took one quick snap for each. It was a little embarrassing.

Here we go:

07 Cider.jpg
The amuse bouche - compliments of the chef - a tiny cup of hot mulled cider. Perfect! We were seated by the window, so it was chilly - and we asked if we could order some. The waiter brought us 2 steaming full sized cups.

08 pkblypnkngnocchi.jpg
Yes, this was the pumpkin gnocchi with pork belly. We were expecting mostly gnocchi and a bit of pork belly. It was the other way around. I found the pork belly to be heavenly. Melt-in-your-mouth delicious. The rosemary foam was...whimsical? Well, it added some nice extra flavor. The pork belly was sitting on matchsticks of fuji apple.

09 turkey dinner.jpg
Dinner! The turkey was moist and tender, and sitting on a good size portion of delicious moist herb stuffing. The cranberry was pretty tart. The brussels sprout perfectly cooked, and the wild rice cruchy and nutty tasting. Nancy got the same thing but got winter squash instead of wild rice.

10 applepie.jpg
Nancy's dessert: Individual Hot Apple Pie, tender calvados soaked prunes, cinnamon ice cream. She liked it very much.

11 bread pudding.jpg
My dessert. Yes, this was the bread pudding. I laughed. Truthfully, I was glad, since I was so full - and this was so delicious. The chocolate mousse was amazing. One of the best bites of the day. The fruit was layered in the bread pudding cubes, and was really tasty.

It looks small but it was the perfect amount at the end of the meal.

The sauces on the plate were mint, citrus and chocolate.

To end the meal I got "Monk's Mead" tea (a soft, fragrant herb tea with Apple, Mango and Chamomile).

It was a lovely dinner. But where are my leftovers? How will I make a turkey sandwich tomorrow?? I guess it's time to go to the grocery store
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #7
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I only have the one pic of my dinner plate (I only had one, got really full, haven't even had any dessert yet...) Yeah, I got a couple of sideways glances from my parents when I whipped the camera out. LOL

On the plate: perfectly cooked crescent rolls (a first, usually burned like Summer's), green bean casserole, whipped mashed potatoes, turkey, corn, pork/beef bread stuffing, and a gravy covering for just about everything.

I'll be eating all of this again.... maybe before the night is out...we had dinner around 2ish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010186_sm.jpg (41.2 KB, 831 views)
Old 11-23-2006, 07:12 PM   #8
Risible
Monkey Daze

Default A Plateful

SVS,

I actually love to sample different tastes and textures like that. Everything looks fantastic (except for the rosemary foam. I guess I'm not a big foam fan). No leftovers, that's a drag, but hey- no dishes to wash !

Summer and AnnMarie,

Your dinners looked scrumptious. There's nothing like a homecooked meal that takes all day (sometimes a couple of days!) to prepare.

Here's a pic of our dinner: smoked turkey (it came out moist and absolutely delicious!!), mashed potatoes with sour cream, cream cheese, onions, buttermilk and butter, left to cook all day in the crockpot, sausage/apple stuffing, homemade cranberries, roasted kabocha squash glazed with maple syrup with browned butter sauce and pecans and gravy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize4.jpg (55.5 KB, 804 views)
Old 11-23-2006, 07:20 PM   #9
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risible
SVS,

I actually love to sample different tastes and textures like that. Everything looks fantastic (except for the rosemary foam. I guess I'm not a big foam fan). No leftovers, that's a drag, but hey- no dishes to wash !

Summer and AnnMarie,

Your dinners looked scrumptious. There's nothing like a homecooked meal that takes all day (sometimes a couple of days!) to prepare.

Here's a pic of our dinner: smoked turkey (it came out moist and absolutely delicious!!), mashed potatoes with sour cream, cream cheese, onions, buttermilk and butter, left to cook all day in the crockpot, sausage/apple stuffing, homemade cranberries, roasted kabocha squash glazed with maple syrup with browned butter sauce and pecans and gravy.

Wow. That's all I can say about that. WOW!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 11-23-2006, 08:16 PM   #10
Kimberleigh
gardening, mostly.

Kimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Just a couple of general shots, I didn't get good closeup pics of individual dishes

That's broccoli cranberry salad in the foreground, with the turkey behind and the chestnut soup off to the right. I brined the turkey for 24 hours, and it was moist and deeelish. We had apple stuffing, roasted yams, mashed potatoes and homemade gravy, homemade cranberry relish (in the Grey Poupon jar) and rolls to go with.

We were all stuffed, so the desserts are still untouched lol

Dang! I am definitely having a do-over tomorrow. I need a real feast like this!

Last edited by SoVerySoft; 11-23-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Kimberleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:35 PM   #11
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I was all prepared to do some photos.. however, I caught some weird form of Thanksgiving Flu and I've spent my day in bed, and in the bathroom.

Old 11-24-2006, 12:50 AM   #12
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh Fuzzy, what a drag!! I hope it's just a 24 hour thing and that you wake up feeling fine.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #13
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy
I was all prepared to do some photos.. however, I caught some weird form of Thanksgiving Flu and I've spent my day in bed, and in the bathroom.

noooooooooo! what lousy timing!! Hope you are better today!!
Old 11-24-2006, 11:16 AM   #14
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh Fuzzy, that sucks... I hope if you didn't get to eat you're planning a do-over when you're feeling up to it!!

I'm sick too, but head cold, not a flu thing... thank goodness. I'm planning to hit the leftovers any time now.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #15
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Thankyou everyone for posting these gorgeous Thanksgiving food pics - I love something in every one of them!! SVS your dinner was exquisite looking - but the rosemary foam ....I'm a little scared! The smoked turkey looked fantastic, so burnished and shiny! I think I'll have to become American next year and join in with you all! Thanks again and I hope you all had a great time.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:46 PM   #16
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

I just keep coming back to this thread to droooool... yum.
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:48 PM   #17
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Ha ha ha, I always find the post I'm looking for after I make a thread. Isn't that just how it works?

These photos are delicious.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 AM   #18
SummerG
summer.bigcuties.com

hah! i'm reviving my old thread.. because i'm super late to share my holiday food pics... but i still wanted to post them. yay! we had lasagna for christmas eve (looks kinda messy, heh) and ham for dinner... and lots of snacks

Old 01-08-2007, 06:27 AM   #19
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Better late than never!!

Is that a Mrs. Prindables apple I see?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:00 PM   #20
SummerG
summer.bigcuties.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Better late than never!!

Is that a Mrs. Prindables apple I see?
It is indeed... a christmas tradition for about 5 years now... they are soooo yummy!

Old 01-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #21
Risible
Monkey Daze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerG View Post
It is indeed... a christmas tradition for about 5 years now... they are soooo yummy!
Are those the ones you can get through QVC? Because we were gifted a box of them for Christmas- One of my favorite gifts !

Old 01-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #22
SummerG
summer.bigcuties.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risible View Post
Are those the ones you can get through QVC? Because we were gifted a box of them for Christmas- One of my favorite gifts !
I just checked with my sister.. and she said she bought it at "Home Goods" which I believe is related to TJ Maxx & Marshalls. She said though that you can indeed get them from QVC. Years ago, I remember them at Filenes. This one had walnuts on it.. and even though I'm not a fan of walnuts, I still couldn't resist.. the apples are always sooo tasty!