Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 03-18-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Recipes from the food pics thread.

Since we all often want recipes from various pics posted in the Everyday Food thread, I thought I'd start one.

This recipe is for Chili Stacks (pictures here) and it's a hella pot full because I either freeze half the sauce for next time or make two and share one with friends. I also usually make the sauce a day or two ahead of time because it's easier to put together when the sauce isn't bubbling hot. This will make two 4 or 5 quart casseroles.

Sauce:

Oil for pan. I use my 10 qt soup pot.
2 onions, chopped
Minced garlic (you know how much you like, I like lots.)
1 lb spicy ground pork (or use plain and adjust seasonings a little)
2 lbs lean ground beef
3 15 oz cans good diced tomatoes
2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
1 6 oz can tomato paste
Chili powder, 3 Tbsp or more
Cumun, 1 ˝ Tbsp or more
Red pepper flakes to taste
Oregano, 1 Tbsp
Basil 1 Tbsp
Salt to taste

Grated medium to sharp cheddar, Tillamook is a good choice if you have it.
1 c grated Mozzaralla
Tortillas, flour ones work best as corn ones don't really get soft enough.

Heat the oil in your big soup pot on medium, throw in onions and saute a bit, then add garlic and saute until onions start to color a bit. Crumble in your sausage and let it brown off a little before adding hamburger. (I use my Mom's old squiggly potato masher to make sure it's all broken up and well combined. It's a lot easier than a spoon with that much meat in a deep pot). When all the meat has lost it's pink, dump in all the tomato products plus a couple 15 oz cans of water. Stir it all up, lower the heat a little and let it simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally. Now start seasoning. I was a little vague because I'm a dumper, not a measurer. Start with what was listed and after it's simmered for about an hour more, taste and add what ever you think it needs more of. Cumin can be bitter if you overdo, so add in tsp increments after the first Tbsp. The hubby likes it spicy but if you don't leave out the pepper flakes.

I let the sauce cool overnight for ease of layering so the next day I set up my assembly line. Two large casseroles, several cups of pre-grated cheddar in the bag, a stack of tortillas that I've trimmed to fit the straight sided casseroles I have (save the trimmings). Put a little sauce in the bottom of each dish. Lay on a tortilla, filling large open spaces with more torn up tortilla if necessary. Add a thin layer of sauce and sprinkle with shredded cheddar. Add another tortilla layer and press a little to get the air out. Sauce, cheese, tortilla, press. repeat ending with sauce until the dishes are nearly full. Then I use the trimmed tortilla scraps (or make scraps) to scatter on top and add a last layer of cheddar and the mozzarella because it looks so pretty. At this point you can bake at 350° until hot, bubbly and golden on top or cover and refrigerate (or even freeze). You cook at the same temp from the fridge but I would let it thaw first if it's frozen.

When you bake it the stack should stand for about 15 minutes after it comes out of the oven or it won't cut worth a dang.

Last edited by AnnMarie; 03-18-2007 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added pics link to post
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Friday, maybe we should post a link to our post with the picture of the meal so if someone happens upon this thread they can find it in the other?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

Great idea AM. Can you go back and do that since my edit time is up (and I don't know how ). And please add that the Stack should stand for about 15 minutes after it comes out of the oven or it won't cut worth a dang.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Started making this tonight. It's cooling on the stove now!

I took step-by-step pics for that thread. Will post tomorrow.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

ok, I just put it in the oven. Should I cover it?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 03-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm one of those who will cover with foil for the most of baking, and then uncover and broil to get the cheese right.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #7
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'm one of those who will cover with foil for the most of baking, and then uncover and broil to get the cheese right.
I agree..so the sauce doesn't have a burned taste to it.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

hmmm...too late. lol.

It is still baking...it's been 35 mins so far. It is starting to bubble on the edges. I want the cheese on top to bubble a little.

I can't broil it because it is in my convection oven.

I have way too many pics of this thing.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My oven has both, regular and convection. Its just a matter of turning the convection mode on/off.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:07 PM   #10
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
My oven has both, regular and convection. Its just a matter of turning the convection mode on/off.
Mine is a microwave/convection. It is 22 yrs old!
Old 03-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #11
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Mine is a microwave/convection. It is 22 yrs old!
Who do you work for? NASA?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #12
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Who do you work for? NASA?
LOL!! cute
Old 03-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #13
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

I only recently purchased my Maytag dual-oven range and I thought I had state-of-the-art, and here's SVS with her convection MICROWAVE that's a whole generation older than mine... It had to be NASA, or you're in bed with James Bond.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #14
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

If I make a huge pan SVS I cover it with foil for the first 45 minutes or so and then take it off to let it crisp and turn golden bubbly. With a smaller pan I just bake it uncovered.

So how did it turn out?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
cactopus
Baconator

cactopus does more than just post hot picscactopus does more than just post hot picscactopus does more than just post hot picscactopus does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
I only recently purchased my Maytag dual-oven range and I thought I had state-of-the-art, and here's SVS with her convection MICROWAVE that's a whole generation older than mine... It had to be NASA, or you're in bed with James Bond.
It could be an Amana Radarange. Coolest microwave I've ever seen. GI's used to throw foil wrapped sandwiches in em while eating on base I've been told and they'd spark away until the sandwich was cooked without any damage to the microwave. They have better door shielding than today's microwaves. They were first released in 1967.

Photos here:
http://www.eldocountry.com/radarange/radar.html
Old 03-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #16
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Mine's a Sharp Carousel Microwave/Convection. A workhorse! That and every other appliance in my house is 22 yrs old. Well, that's because my house is 22 yrs old.

I have replaced the fridge tho.

Seems like every week something else breaks down. *sigh*
Old 03-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #17
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
If I make a huge pan SVS I cover it with foil for the first 45 minutes or so and then take it off to let it crisp and turn golden bubbly. With a smaller pan I just bake it uncovered.

So how did it turn out?
I didn't answer you last night - I am glad I waited till tonight! I ate WAY too much of it last night and was uncomfortable and queasy for hours. I didn't know if it was the way I made it (too much cheese, which I didn't know was possible) or if it was how much I ate.

Tonight I heated some up and YUM. VERY GOOD!!!!! I took pics and will be posting them in the step-by-step thread (giving you credit for the recipe, of course!)
Old 03-21-2007, 08:40 PM   #18
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Give credit to my MiL Patsy. With 4 teenage boys (all born within in 3 1/2 years ) she had to have fast, easy and filling. It was kind of like feeding time at the zoo from the stories she tells.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #19
Michelle
Member Schmember

Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Sweet and Sour Meatballs Per Request

One package of frozen Swedish meatballs, thawed (my brand is Kroger, 12 oz. bag)

Small can (8 oz.) of pineapple tidbits or chunks, drained, juice reserved (I prefer the tidbits but chunks is all I had for the pictures)

One-half cup packed brown sugar (my tastes have changed and the original recipe is too sweet for me now - next time
I’m going to try 1/3 or 1/4 cup – I use the Splenda mix)

One-third cup apple cider vinegar

One tablespoon soy sauce (or to taste)

Two tablespoons cornstarch

One small onion, chopped

One large bell pepper, chopped to what size you want

Optional – 1/2 small can of sliced water chestnuts, drained (not pictured because I didn’t have any)

Cooked rice (I usually use Success Rice, brown, two boiling bags)

Mix the sugar and cornstarch together and then add the pineapple juice, vinegar and soy sauce. Cook over medium heat until it bubbles up and thickens. Cook one minute longer. Add the meatballs and cover well, cooking until they’re warmed up. Add veggies (peppers, onion, and any optional items) and toss until covered with sauce. Serve over rice.

Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 AM   #20
panhype
Apréslist

panhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging in

Mucho thanks for the recipe, Michelle.

Had to look up the 'Swedish Meatballs', no such product here. But according to what i've found these are meatballs how it would make them anyway, just minus the herbs and they're smaller. And i love preparing meatballs myself. Still undecided what do to with the apple cider vinegar. Not worth buying that only for this recipe, i just have red Balsamico which i expect to be stronger and less sweet. Maybe it will just add a slightly different but still good flavor. Any ideas?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #21
panhype
Apréslist

panhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Oyako Donburi

Michelle, here's your Oyako Donburi

This might be one of the easiest ways to prepare one Japanese tasting (at least for me) dish.

Recipe is for one person

1 boneless chicken breast, sliced in bite-sized pieces
2 eggs
1/4 - 1/3 cup of chicken stock
2 tablespoons soy sauce (Kikkoman "all-purpose")
1 tablespoon mirin / great replacement is dry sherry what i am using
3 green onions, chopped
salt

Heat up chicken stock, soy sauce and sherry in a pot. Add the chicken pieces and 3/4 of the green onions. Let it simmer in the covered pot, should take 6 mins aprox. Finetune the seasoning by adding soy sauce, sherry + salt to your liking.

Beat the eggs and pour them gently into the pot - heat should be at minimum now and - IMPORTANT - without any stirring !! Keep the pot covered. After a few more minutes you can serve your Oyako Donburi with rice. Strew the remaining green onions over it. Done !!

PLZ note: I did use too much chicken stock this time i took the pic. It should look less watery. But this is only an optical thing, its taste was supreme nonetheless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3310384_edSW.jpg (92.5 KB, 749 views)
Old 05-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #22
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Bumped so Michelle can find it for her Cabbage and Chicken dish!
Old 05-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #23
Michelle
Member Schmember

Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Chicken and Cabbage

Friday Thanks for bumping the thread. I would have never found it. Okay - there's really not a whole lotta recipe here because it's my own.

I have a wok-like frying pan. I heat up sesame oil and while that's heating, I slice up a boneless chicken breast and three cloves of garlic (mince it) - I like it very garlicy. You could use less if you're not a huge garlic fan. Just be sure it's fresh.

I throw the garlic in the sesame oil for a minute and then put in the chicken and stir fry it until the pink is gone. I then turn down the heat to low, cover the pan and let the chicken simmer in its own juices for awhile (today was about 30 minutes) so it will be tender.

Then I take the chicken out with a slated thingamabob and set it aside in a dish and put the juices in a measuring dealie. Into the juices I stir a couple or three tablespoons of corn starch and pour in a little extra water and some low sodium soy sauce to taste and set aside.

In the fry pan I add a little more sesame oil. I then stir fry my extra veggies (this time it was broccoli and scallions - I've also put in zuchini, cauliflower, green peppers and just about anything but tomatos) until they're tender crisp. I then added 3/4 of a medium onion chopped up and a half a head of cabbage chopped up (I usually add fresh mushrooms too but I didn't have any) and stir fry those with the other veggies until they're once again crisp-tender. I toss in some course ground pepper during the stir fry stage. Then I add back in my chicken and pour the juices with the corn starch over it and stir until the sauce thickens.

I take it out and plate it and toss some lightly salted whole cashews over the top and it's done. It's really very easy to make, tasty and pretty good for you too.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #24
Michelle
Member Schmember

Oops - forgot to add the picture.

Last edited by Michelle; 07-10-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:18 PM   #25
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Default Fuzzy's Enchiladas

Prep:
Preheat oven to 350. Heat 1/3 to 1/2 cup oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Using tongs, place a corn tortilla in the hot oil for 15-20 seconds or until soft and lightly browned. Place on paper towels and allow to cool before handling.

Beef:
Brown 1 lb hamburger with 1 medium onion (chopped). Spice to taste. (Mrs Fuzzy likes NO seasoning, I like to add a little chili powder, cumin, and oregano.) Pour enough red enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 7x11 baking pan to cover. Put 1/4 cup meat in the center of a tortilla, roll and place seam side down in the baking pan. Pour remaining red sauce over the top, and sprinkle with shredded cheese ( I like to use colby jack )

Chicken:
Prep 2 chicken breasts and slice into long peices. Pan fry with a little oil. Place chicken peices in a mixing bowl, and knead in 1 package cream cheese. (add one small can of diced chiles if desired)
In seperate mixing bowl, combine 1 can chili verde with 1 can cream of chicken soup and 1/2 can of milk. Blend well, and pour just enough on bottom of 7x11 pan to cover. Put approx 1/4 cup chicken mixture in the center of tortilla, roll and place seam side down in pan. Pour remaining sauce over the top, and sprinkle with shredded cheese.

Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes.