Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-05-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
Cat
Gone baby gone

Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Good Cold Weather Eats -- Chili Blanco

We had our first frost last night. It's about time to break out the cold weather food. One of my favs:

Chili Blanco

1-1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced, pressed or sliced
3 Chicken breasts cooked and chopped
2 cans chopped mild chiles
1 to 2 tbsp diced jalapenos (more or less)
1-1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. oregano flakes (or equivalent fresh)
1 can condensed chicken broth
1 soup can water
1 16 oz. can of Great Northern Beans (if you're ambitious, cook up dried beans)
Salt to Taste
2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
1/2 c sour cream

Directions:
Heat the oil in large saucepan. Add onions and garlic. Cook until translucent. Add chicken, chiles, jalapenos, cumin, oregano, broth, water, beans and salt (if desired). Stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Immediately prior to serving, add cheese and sour cream. Cook just until cheese is melted. This recipe reheats very well too! In fact, I think it gets better!
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:22 AM   #2
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Beef Stew!!

Anybody here have a kickass beef stew recipe? That's the kind of thing to warm the cockles of the heart on a cold winter's day.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
Renaissance Man
Popping in to say hello

Renaissance Man can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW
Anybody here have a kickass beef stew recipe? That's the kind of thing to warm the cockles of the heart on a cold winter's day.
Oh, dear lord, Lilly, your tagline is hysterical! I love it!

[Desperately trying to find a great stew....let's see...."Kickass"....hmmmm....]

As far as possible, without surrender,
Be on good terms with all persons . . .
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. ~ Desiderata

Renaissance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
I make it similarly the way I make pot roast. You should really invest in a crockpot, even the most inexperienced of cooks have success with it.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:37 PM   #5
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles
I make it similarly the way I make pot roast. You should really invest in a crockpot, even the most inexperienced of cooks have success with it.
Methinks the iron boot of home heating costs along with a strong distaste for my own cooking may force me to get one soon. I'm thinking a crockpot and a good bread maker might be life changing for me this winter.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

@~;~~
Old 10-06-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
Cat
Gone baby gone

Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Bread....

Quote:
Methinks the iron boot of home heating costs along with a strong distaste for my own cooking may force me to get one soon. I'm thinking a crockpot and a good bread maker might be life changing for me this winter.
I would suggest you don't get a bread maker. I haven't had any luck at all with those. The bread isn't as good as making it by hand. It smells really good while it's cooking, but the loaves are always rock hard on the outside, often lopsided and oddly shaped.
Instead, invest in a Kitchenaid Mixer or the like if you don't have one already. You can mix and knead the dough with those in ~10 minutes or less *and* you can use it to make all sorts of other nummies.

Here's a recipe that gets rave reviews every time I make it. It's super simple when using the kitchenaid:

Parker House Rolls

6 cups bread flour
2 packages yeast
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 sticks/cubes butter
2 cups hot water
1 egg

Directions:
Using a large heavy duty stand mixer with the dough hook installed, combine 3 cups of flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Add a stick/cube of butter that has been melted. Add the water as you turn on the mixer. Add the egg. Keep mixing on medium speed for about 5 minutes. (Helps to activate the gluten in the flour!) On low speed, add the remaining three cups of flour, one cup at a time. At this point, I let the mixer do the kneading for several minutes. If your mixer can't handle the load, remove the dough and hand-knead the dough until the flour is incorporated and the dough has a good texture. Put the kneaded dough into lightly greased bowl. Cover with either plastic wrap or a moistened towel. Let rise until double. Punch the dough down. Take the remaining butter (1 stick/cube) and melt into a 13x9 or larger baking pan. Form into rolls (use your imagination, there are LOTS of shapes to make!). Dip each roll into the butter, flip it over and set into the pan of melted butter. Bake at 400 degrees for ~18 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Delicious!

-----------
Roll for roll, the Parker House recipe is more expensive than the following recipe due to the high butter content. Not to mention higher in calories. Here's the other fool proof option:

http://bread.allrecipes.com/az/FblsFrnchLvs.asp
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:22 AM   #7
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
I would suggest you don't get a bread maker. I haven't had any luck at all with those. The bread isn't as good as making it by hand. It smells really good while it's cooking, but the loaves are always rock hard on the outside, often lopsided and oddly shaped.
Instead, invest in a Kitchenaid Mixer or the like
Thanks for the tip Cat. I've wanted a bread maker for a long time and the reason I'm having such a hard time buying one is because most of them have very mixed reviews. I used to make them by hand all the time but that takes hours and is extremely messy so I was looking for an easy way out. I'll research the mixer. Thanks again for the tip!

@~;~~
Old 10-08-2005, 10:32 PM   #8
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

While I'm sure there are lots of good beef stew recipes out there, one tip I have for anybody is to never ever buy the "beef for stew" that your supermarket butcher will put in the meat case. It will be the toughest cut of meat on the planet. Go ahead and buy a nice steak cut instead, that you can cube up at home. It will not be nearly as tough.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:31 AM   #9
Michelle
Member Schmember

Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
We had our first frost last night. It's about time to break out the cold weather food.
I'm doing my first cold weather dinner today and I just can't wait until it's done. I oven roast a chuck roast with garlic and onions for about three hours in water so that the beef is super tender and fall apart. Then I take out the beef and make a nice, thick, rich flour gravy. I add a package of frozen corn and get the mixture hot and bubbling and then add some light and fluffy bisquick dumplings to it. I serve the gravy over the dumplings with a hunk of the tender roast beef beside it. Yuuumm!
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:48 AM   #10
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
I'm doing my first cold weather dinner today and I just can't wait until it's done. I oven roast a chuck roast with garlic and onions for about three hours in water so that the beef is super tender and fall apart. Then I take out the beef and make a nice, thick, rich flour gravy. I add a package of frozen corn and get the mixture hot and bubbling and then add some light and fluffy bisquick dumplings to it. I serve the gravy over the dumplings with a hunk of the tender roast beef beside it. Yuuumm!

OK, that sounds damn good! What time is dinner? We'll bring dessert! (who's bringing the wine?)
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:56 AM   #11
Michelle
Member Schmember

Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft
OK, that sounds damn good! What time is dinner? We'll bring dessert! (who's bringing the wine?)
Dinner is at 1:00. Think you can make it to Michigan by then?

You don't have to bring dessert. I bought some pumpkin bread yesterday that's more like cake and I'm going to serve it with french vanilla ice cream.

By the way, this has quickly become my favorite board here. Great idea, Randi.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #12
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
Dinner is at 1:00. Think you can make it to Michigan by then?

You don't have to bring dessert. I bought some pumpkin bread yesterday that's more like cake and I'm going to serve it with french vanilla ice cream.

By the way, this has quickly become my favorite board here. Great idea, Randi.

Yeah, it's a fun board. I am enjoying it too!

And no, didn't make it to Michigan by 1. *pout*

Dessert sounds great too! Great fall meal.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:07 PM   #13
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Sandie and I made a prety good batch of stew a few weeks ago.

Instead of using stew meat, I got a bonless chuck roast (around 3 pounds) at Safeway and cut it up into cubes. We coated the beef cubes in flour, and browned them in olive oil in a large stock pot. We then added several Yukon Gold potatoes (cut in to cubes), some carrots (cut in to inch-thick slices), a large onion (chopped), several cloves of garlic, two boxes of Swanson Organic Beef Broth and two large cans of diced tomatoes.

Let it come to a boil, then cover and let it simmer on a low heat for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. The longer you let it simmer, the more tender the meet gets.