Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 09-30-2005, 08:50 AM   #1
Boteroesque Babe
All cookies cleared!

Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Feast !

I love that picture, Foosh. Conjures images of white city-girl gloves, patent leather handbags, and Max Hess seductions.

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/member.php?u=67

Absolutely gorgeous.
"If you stand on a soapbox and trade rhetoric with a dictator you never win. That's what they do so well; they seduce people. But if you ridicule them, bring them down with laughter, they can't win." ~ Mel Brooks

"The country is run by extremists, 'cause moderates have shit to do." ~ Jon Stewart

"And she doesn't wear polyester except when she's kidding."~ Egbert Souse
Boteroesque Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
FEast
Bountifulicious!

Location: 18-53 College Point Blvd, Ste 14DJ, Flushing, NY 11356
FEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticed
Red face Thank you SO much, Bo!

I'm glad somebody noticed. It was taken by a gorgeous African-American BBW photographer for the book, MAKING IT BIG, by Jean DuCoffe and Sherry Suib-Cohen (Sherry really did all the work, but Jean's name was better known in those days). It's a wonderful, uplifting treatise, which gave a lot of inspiration to fat women in those days. Sadly, I suspect it's out of print. That photo appears in a chapter entitled, "Big Women Who've Made It Big."

Those were the whirlwind days for me (I think it was back in 1979). On NAAFA's behalf, I'd appeared on so many tv and radio shows and been featured in so many newspapers (even made the front cover of the WASHINGTON POST SUNDAY MAGAZINE, which is something I'll always cherish), magazines, and books, that it all became a bit heady. I wore a gorgeous turquoise gown, in which the fotog had me swirling all around the room. Wish I could remember her name, so I could give her proper credit here, but my copy of the book is safely tucked away where I can't get at it easily.

She was kind enough to give me the proofs, and I went crazy trying to choose my faves, as there were so many pix, and each one was better than the last. Although I wasn't allowed to decide which photos would be in the book, they actually wound up choosing my two favorites, which was another plus.

I break out in smiles nowadays when I see the younger generation coming up and getting involved like I did back then. Every time I see a fat woman positively featured in the media, it gives me hope.

It was rare that I received negative coverage. It seemed to me that most journalists who came to interview me had one agenda, but by the time I finished with them, they'd change their tune and write from an enlightened perspective. It was very gratifying, and I always felt that if even one other fat woman was made to feel better about herself by my words, it was all worth it.

It felt so good to give back in some small way for the amazing turnabout my life had made when I discovered the size acceptance movement. Every now and then I'd receive a letter or phone call from a woman whose life had been changed for the better due to some appearance I'd made, and hearing from them were some of the most rewarding experiences of my life.~L&H, Foosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boteroesque Babe
I love that picture, Foosh. Conjures images of white city-girl gloves, patent leather handbags, and Max Hess seductions.

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/member.php?u=67

Absolutely gorgeous.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." :bow: ~Eleanor Roosevelt
FEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:07 PM   #3
Boteroesque Babe
All cookies cleared!

Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default I'm SO half-dot-comming that book.

I love hearing about the old days of SA. Someone should be compiling a history.
"If you stand on a soapbox and trade rhetoric with a dictator you never win. That's what they do so well; they seduce people. But if you ridicule them, bring them down with laughter, they can't win." ~ Mel Brooks

"The country is run by extremists, 'cause moderates have shit to do." ~ Jon Stewart

"And she doesn't wear polyester except when she's kidding."~ Egbert Souse
Boteroesque Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:26 PM   #4
FEast
Bountifulicious!

Location: 18-53 College Point Blvd, Ste 14DJ, Flushing, NY 11356
FEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticed
Red face The "old days"

I've been told many times I should write a book about those years, but I'd never have the patience. I probably should keep copies of everything I write on this subject, as I do tend to get carried away about it from time to time, but if I did, it'd just be another project sitting on the back burner, begging for attention and making me feel guilty.~L&H, Foosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boteroesque Babe
I love hearing about the old days of SA. Someone should be compiling a history.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." :bow: ~Eleanor Roosevelt
FEast is offline   Reply With Quote