Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #26
panhype
Apréslist

panhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieQ View Post
marry me?

or adopt me, i don't care, as long as i have access to your cooking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Ripples View Post
Hey! Get in the queue, there are at least twenty of us in front of you!

You girls are too sweet
Old 07-22-2007, 07:35 PM   #27
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

It's true, though. Is there a woman here who doesn't want pan to cook for her? Pan, you don't have a table large enough for us all to sit around, or a kitchen big enough to hold all of the food that would be required to cook enough food to feed us all.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:38 AM   #28
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Comfort food at its most carb-iest, msg filled, beefy delightifulness. Sloppy joe on a soft kaiser roll with tater tots. My tots were freezer burned and I barely ate any! The sandwich was tasty at lest.
MissToodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #29
prickly

prickly is a member of the 500 clubprickly is a member of the 500 clubprickly is a member of the 500 clubprickly is a member of the 500 clubprickly is a member of the 500 clubprickly is a member of the 500 club
Default ok a question.........

.......i've noticed in the pics here and also from spending a lot of time in the US that there seems to be a high proportion of tinned vegetables used compared to fresh (or even frozen), particularly green beans, carrots and peas. why is this? convenience? cost? i don't particularly dislike them, can even enjoy them at times (even if they are loaded with salt and sugar, although on the rare occassion when i buy them i try to stick to no sugar/salt)
prickly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:10 AM   #30
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I prefer fresh vegetables but when cost is prohibitive or they're out of season, I'll stick to frozen. Usually frozen are more expensive than canned, but local chains have great sales and at times, they end up cheaper. For me, I rather spend a little extra and have something with better taste and texture.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #31
prickly

prickly is a member of the 500 clubprickly is a member of the 500 clubprickly is a member of the 500 clubprickly is a member of the 500 clubprickly is a member of the 500 clubprickly is a member of the 500 club
Default yep.........

........i rarely buy anything other than fresh veg, although frozen peas are a year-round exception. i much prefer to pay more, and this year i'm trying to avoid veg that isn't seasonal or comes from the other side of the world. of course, one can't stick to this rigidly, but it's amazing how much variety there is in seasonal and local (dunno why i'm surprised about this really).
prickly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:19 PM   #32
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I am all about the fresh produce, but, sometimes frozen can be more nutritious because so often the product is near or right on the property of the processing plant. Unless you are getting produce directly from the grower, or know that the stuff is spending a very short time in transit..and storage..many times, 'fresh' produce is not all that fresh.

And...I can't stand things when things are overcooked..ack.
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #33
Red

Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

*shivering at the thought of chewy broccoli*
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #34
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prickly View Post
.......i've noticed in the pics here and also from spending a lot of time in the US that there seems to be a high proportion of tinned vegetables used compared to fresh (or even frozen), particularly green beans, carrots and peas. why is this? convenience? cost? i don't particularly dislike them, can even enjoy them at times (even if they are loaded with salt and sugar, although on the rare occassion when i buy them i try to stick to no sugar/salt)
Prickly, here is a thread on canned veggies where we discuss who likes 'em and who doesn't
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #35
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles View Post

ham egg and cheese sandwich

his delicious fresh mozzarella and prosciutto sandwich. It came with a side of antipasto salad. mmmm magical piggy goodness.
Is that Vitamin Water I see with your ham, egg and cheese sandwich??

And I want that mozz/proscuitto sandwich something fierce!!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 07-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #36
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The usual, I-don't-feel-like-cooking-inside meal: Grilled chicken, pasta salad, corn (I forgot to get fresh on the cob...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chicken.jpg (46.3 KB, 856 views)
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #37
MissToodles
dead peasant

Yep, it's vitamin water. Regular juice gives me heartburn, but since v.w. is so dilluted, I can drink it with ease. I think I had the orange flavor. My favorite supermarket, Fairway, has a new location on the Brooklyn waterfront. You can go to their cafe and eat right out on the water. And they're not terribly expensive. You can get a meal for the same price as any fast food chain, but it's infintely fresh and tastier.

And I had a bite of the prosciutto/mozz sammie. Oh my heaven, it is wonderful stuff. I love Mike's Deli (in the Belmont section aka "Little Italy" in the Bronx)
Old 07-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #38
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles View Post

Comfort food at its most carb-iest, msg filled, beefy delightifulness. Sloppy joe on a soft kaiser roll with tater tots. My tots were freezer burned and I barely ate any! The sandwich was tasty at lest.
Oh boy, I think that may have just brought on either a sloppy joe or chili night in my future.

Yum.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:00 PM   #39
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I remember a commercial once.. (or it was a dream..) from the makers of the Manwich sauce, showing what else you could make instead of just sloppy joes.. and one of the serving suggestions was Manwich sauce (and ground beef) over spaghetti... I'm so tempted to try that one..
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:11 PM   #40
cute_obese_girl
Herbivore

cute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I remember a commercial once.. (or it was a dream..) from the makers of the Manwich sauce, showing what else you could make instead of just sloppy joes.. and one of the serving suggestions was Manwich sauce (and ground beef) over spaghetti... I'm so tempted to try that one..
Cincinatti Chili! Well, sort of. Its chili served over spaghetti. Cheese and onions optional.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."-Albert Pine
cute_obese_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:12 AM   #41
liz (di-va)

liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Syrian Lentils in a Spicy Tomato Sauce

1 cup dried red or brown lentils, rinsed
4 cups water
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28oz) can peeled tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the lentils are tender but still retain their shape, about 30 minutes. Do not drain.

In another saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are golden. Add the lentils and cooking liquid.
Run a knife throught the can of tomatoes to chop and add without draining, to the lentils along with the tomato paste. Add the cumin, allspice, coriander, and paprika. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
(shown in picture: over rice, couscous, and steamed veggies. )
That looks rrealllllly good...I love stewy lentil dishes. Will try!!
liz (di-va) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:12 AM   #42
liz (di-va)

liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Ripples View Post
Hey! Get in the queue, there are at least twenty of us in front of you!
I was gettin ready to ask the same thing! There's room for everybody, yes?
liz (di-va) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:31 AM   #43
MissToodles
dead peasant

Quote:
I mixed leftovers with rice, added peas and sprinked cheddar on top. Pasta would work well!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:21 AM   #44
panhype
Apréslist

panhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging in
Default (What they call in Spain) Tortilla ... 'n thing

Again i hadn't watched the clock and missed the closing time of the regular shops, here at 8 pm So i had to deal with the little that was left. Ok, chicken breasts (usually i have some in the freezer) .. but then? There were potatoes, eggs and mushrooms... giving me the idea finally to make my first attempt on the Spanish tortilla. Turned out quite well actually , despite normally it would contain onions (didn't have any left) instead of mushrooms.

BTW i ran Google Images and on most pics there the tortilla looked more like a pie rather than a scrambled eggs-like dish. But years ago i had roommates from Madrid who made Tortilla almost every day and i took the inspiration from their version
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tortilla-n-chicken-breasts.jpg (91.1 KB, 686 views)
Old 07-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #45
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhype View Post
Again i hadn't watched the clock and missed the closing time of the regular shops, here at 8 pm So i had to deal with the little that was left. Ok, chicken breasts (usually i have some in the freezer) .. but then? There were potatoes, eggs and mushrooms... giving me the idea finally to make my first attempt on the Spanish tortilla. Turned out quite well actually , despite normally it would contain onions (didn't have any left) instead of mushrooms.

BTW i ran Google Images and on most pics there the tortilla looked more like a pie rather than a scrambled eggs-like dish. But years ago i had roommates from Madrid who made Tortilla almost every day and i took the inspiration from their version
Yummy it looks great! The tortilla I had in Spain and that I make is just like a thick omelette with potatoes in it. You can cut it into slices like pie. It just looks similar to yours but more in one piece.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #46
Theatrmuse/Kara
Warrior Momma

Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Oh Geeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz! I am SOOOOOOOOO hungry!!!!!!!!!!
LOL, Kara

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other. ~Mother Teresa
Theatrmuse/Kara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #47
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Life has gotten in the way of good food lately.

So I was inspired to make the effort today.... Late dinner eaten propped up on pillows in bed...

Cold shrimp salad with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, olive oil, salt, red pepper flakes, pepper, oregano, and a little garlic

Served with slices of fresh baguette, provolone, salami, and cappicola

EvilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #48
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPrincess View Post
Life has gotten in the way of good food lately.

So I was inspired to make the effort today.... Late dinner eaten propped up on pillows in bed...

Cold shrimp salad with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, olive oil, salt, red pepper flakes, pepper, oregano, and a little garlic

Served with slices of fresh baguette, provolone, salami, and cappicola

Sorry, but this is more food porn than "everyday food".

I'm just sayin'.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #49
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

and P.S. I can't stop staring at that shrimp.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #50
MLadyJ

MLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot pics

E.P. if that shrimp thingy is a recipe of yours..PUUULLLZZZEE post it. I am slobbering (that is worse that a drool) all over my keyboard..

Tags
food, pictures