Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board > Weight Gain

Old 09-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
TheNowhereMan
Rambling Rover

TheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this board
Default A real weight gain powder.

I was browsing the internet and found this
http://www.suplimednutrients.com/sto...p?CategoryID=1
Has anyone herd of it? Is it legit or just a scam?
Anyone actually tried it?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNowhereMan View Post
Hey, how's it goin'.

I work in the nutritional supplement industry. I've never heard of this particular product, but generally "weight gainers" are higher calorie/protein meal replacements. You can get them at just about any health/vitamin store. Most will contain enough vitamins and minerals to simulate a small meal. They're handy for people with fast metabolisms who are eating as much as they can and aren't gaining weight or muscle, whatever their goal is, and need an additional source of calories.

For the purposes of this particular board, they can definitely be used to gain body fat if used in addition to whatever food one may be eating throughout the day. Since they're usually smaller servings despite the calorie content, sometimes no more than about 12oz, they are very easy to use to supplement ones "diet". It technically would be a lot healthier to use one of these than consuming too many empty calories, but you couldn't live off it, nor would it be as fun...

To make a short story long, they can be used to gain weight. Just don't expect miracles overnight, it won't work that way...Don't believe any company that makes outlandish claims of results too, there are too many factors involved to guarantee results.

Sorry for the long winded answer, I hope this helps...
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
newlylarge

newlylarge has said some nice things
Default They Do Work

I can affirm, based upon personal experience, what MattB said. Of course, these powders are intended to provide the calories and nutrients required for heavy-weight lifting with the goal of building muscle mass. I have long used weight-lifting as my primary form of exercise and I have used such, so called, "weight-gain" powders in the past. Usually, they are also protein powders.

I can say that I have found such supplements to be an effective means of gaining muscle mass and that using more than is required can result in "fat gains" as well. Of course, as MattB noted, this is not their intended purpose, but they should certainly be effective for people who seek to intentionally gain fat as well.

In my case, many years ago and long before my recent weight gain from "fat mass," I was lifting weights "aggressively" and using one of these types of supplements. I found that it was very effective in promoting muscle gains and I slowing increased the amount of the supplement I was using in order to get the benefits of "more of a good thing." However, I reached a point where the number of calories I was consuming from the use of this type of supplement exceeded that which was required to support my weight-lifting and I began to gain a bit of fat as well as muscle. In that instance, fat-gaining was not my goal, so I backed-off on the amount I was using and lost the fat that I had gained. But if you ARE looking to gain fat, it seems likely that the use of such supplements would be very effective.

As MattB said, I am not familiar with this particular brand, but places like GNC certainly have plenty of reputable brands of "weight-gain" or protein supplements that can be relied upon as safe and effective. As Matt also noted, they are likely a safer alternative to simply eating Big Macs insofar as, at least, they tend to provide calories from protein and low-fat sources. Many focus on protein calories such as whey protein. Who knows, if you combine it with weight-lifting, you may gain some weight from muscle too.
newlylarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
TheNowhereMan
Rambling Rover

TheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this board

well if oyu go to the siteand read more about it it's acctually ment strictly for gaining fat, not muscle. It was designed for people with eating disorders, not weight lifters.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Hey, how's it goin'.
It's going well.....and since I noticed that this is your first post, I just wanted to say welcome to posting, and what a helpful first post! I hope we hear more from you :-)

Regards;

-Ed
Old 09-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
squurp

squurp does more than just post hot picssquurp does more than just post hot picssquurp does more than just post hot picssquurp does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Based on the salt content, I'd say you would gain weight right away. Water weight. . . just be careful your ankles don't rupture from edema. The ingredients look very similar to any other weight gain mix I've investigated.
squurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
well if oyu go to the siteand read more about it it's acctually ment strictly for gaining fat, not muscle. It was designed for people with eating disorders, not weight lifters.

Yeah, I just did read more about it. You're right, it is being promoted as strictly a weight gain product, but the content is virtually identical to sports/muscle related supplements. My first instinct is usually to go straight for the nutritional facts and figure it out from there.

I still don't know the quality of the product, or the company, but after poking around their site for a while...I have to say, a lot of the information is very similar to what one would read on this board. I highly recommend reading the "How to Gain Weight" article. It's actually pretty good! I particularly enjoyed the part about grocery shopping and finding "surprise calories". It could totally have been written by someone into feeding.

The quote at the end is brilliant too...

"Remember, weight gain is a process, not an event."

Nice!
Old 09-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
MattB

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx View Post
It's going well.....and since I noticed that this is your first post, I just wanted to say welcome to posting, and what a helpful first post! I hope we hear more from you :-)

Regards;

-Ed
Thanks Ed. I've been lurking these boards for far too long without posting, so I was a little self-conscious about finally taking the plunge. Given the subject matter and my profession I had to comment.

The irony of it all is that I'm an FA, and most people I deal with in my industry are looking to lose weight. (Most are fairly lean to begin with.) To each their own, everyone has their goal in life. I try to help them as best I can in the healthiest way possible. Only once in 10 years have I ever been asked by someone to help them gain weight, and she wasn't concerned about muscle... Man, did she ask the right guy! I gave her as much advice as I could without sounding too enthusiastic. I never heard back from her how it went, but I wish I would be asked more often!

Getting back to the subject, squurp is right too. Watch the sodium content on some of the gainers. I firmly believe you can be fat and healthy, but too much sugar and sodium (even though results would be quicker) is not a good idea long term. Just enjoy eating, whatever it is you like to eat, and supplement wisely.

Matt
Old 09-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
Morgue

Morgue has said some nice things

There's no need to buy pre-mixed weight gain powders - as has already been said, they are formulated to feed muscle growth.

Some carb-based weight gain supplements contain maltodextrin, a common, complex chain carbohydrate. (Don't be fooled into thinking this is a GI-safe carb - it will put a strain on your insulin much like refined sugar therefore be sensible....)

It's used in small quantities in food and beverage manufacture mainly for its "Mouthfeel". It's not very sweet but is loaded with calories (around 400kc per 100g). You can find it in most health food shops and can add it to most drinks and many foods without impairing their flavour!
Morgue is offline   Reply With Quote