Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 09-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Foodee Songs

What are some of your favorite songs about food?

Here's Texas singer/songwriter Guy Clark with Homegrown Tomatoes.

Another Guy Clark song, here he is with Texas Cookin'.

Moving up to Canada, Stompin' Tom Connors has The Ketchup Song (AKA "Ketchup Loves Potatoes").

The good Dr. Connors just may have some kind of potato fixation. Here he is again with Bud The Spud.

What food-related songs do you like?

(This could be fun! )
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

What a cool topic!! Of course, I need to think about this...I can't think of anything off the top of my head!

fun fun!!

p.s. How about "On Top of Spaghetti"? (the parody for "On Top of Old Smokey"?)
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
What a cool topic!! Of course, I need to think about this...I can't think of anything off the top of my head!

fun fun!!

Just off the top of my head, there's also "Shoo-Fly Pie", "Catfish And Collard Greens" (Junior Brown), "Tiger Love And Turnip Greens" (Duane Eddy, instrumental), and "Green Onions" (Booker T and the MGs, instrumental).

And, of course, who could forget Cheeseburger In Paradise, by Jimmy Buffett?

I'm sure you'll come up with something...
Old 09-27-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

OK...

How about Food Glorious Food from Oliver!

And...Sugar Sugar (the Archies) or Yummy Yummy Yummy (the Ohio Express) or Does your chewing gum lose its flavor? (Lonnie Donegan)

Do those 3 count as food?

oooh Punky's Dilemma! (Simon and Garfunkle) "wish I was a Kellogg's cornflake..."
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 09-27-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
DeniseW
Fat don't crack!!

DeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post

fun fun!!

lol...that was the first song I learned as a little girl and I never forgot the lyrics...

On top of spaghetti
All covered with cheese
I lost my poor meatball
When somebody sneezed
It rolled off the table
and onto the floor
and then my poor meatball
rolled out of the door
DeniseW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseW View Post
lol...that was the first song I learned as a little girl and I never forgot the lyrics...

On top of spaghetti
All covered with cheese
I lost my poor meatball
When somebody sneezed
It rolled off the table
and onto the floor
and then my poor meatball
rolled out of the door
...It rolled in the garden
And under a bush
And then my poor meatball
Was nothing but mush! lol
Old 09-27-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

Addicted to Spuds by Weird Al Yankovic

Scarborough Fair by Simon and Garfunkel (...parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme...)

Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard ( okay, it's a stretch )

Cheeseburger in Paradise by Jimmy Buffet
ScreamingChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:30 PM   #8
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

We sing a slightly mixed up version..

On top of Spaghetti
All covered with snow
I lost my poor sweeeeeeetie
When somebody sneezed.

She rolled off the table
and onto the floor
and then my poor sweeeeeetie
rolled right out the door

She rolled in the garden
and under a bush
and then my poor sweeeeetie
was nothing but mush.

So when you have spaghetti
all covered with snow
remember my sweeeetie
and cover your sneeze.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:45 PM   #9
FreeThinker

That was beautiful, Fuzzy. *sniff*

Not a song, this time, but a poem:

Hep me, fodder, hep me mudder
Ma muf iv duck wif beenud budder

Thank you.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #10
mango
Mustachio Nut

mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!
Arrow

Animal Crackers - Shirley Temple

Eat It - Wierd Al Yankovic

I Wish Lunch Could Last Forever - Jimmy Buffet

Tossed Salad and Scrambled Eggs - Kelsey Grammar

500 Songs About Food!!
http://www.mixedup.com/foodsongs.htm

mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:09 AM   #11
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Anyone ever sing the kids camp song, "Fried Ham"?

Fried ham, fried ham, cheese and baloney,
after the macaroni we'll eat onions,
pickles and ketchup and then we'll eat some more fried ham,
fried ham, fried ham!

Second verse same as the first, baby voice (opera, okie, drunk, etc.) couldn't be worse!

And then it's repeated over and over in various accents and voices.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:52 AM   #12
DeniseW
Fat don't crack!!

DeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

How about the song "Bread and Butter" made popular in the movie 9 1/2 Weeks. "I like bread and butter, I like toast and jam"
DeniseW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post

Not a song, this time, but a poem:

Hep me, fodder, hep me mudder
Ma muf iv duck wif beenud budder
Which reminds me of..."Peanut Butter" by the Marathons.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #14
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

sweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
Which reminds me of..."Peanut Butter" by the Marathons.
I like peanut butter
chunky peanut butter
creamy peanut butter, too!!

- J. Garcia
- R. Hunter
sweetnnekked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #15
FreeThinker

Not really a 'Foodee Song', but Guy Clark often seems to talk about food in his songs.

In Black Diamond Strings, he states "Black Diamond strings are like white flour and grits: You play Black Diamond strings 'cause it's all you can get."

My girlfriend had to explain this to me. Apparently, if you're low on grits, you can stretch it out a bit with white flour.

So, presumably, Black Diamond is not the preferred brand of guitar string.

But the main reason I posted this comes from another reference in the song's chorus: "Drinkin' 1 W Harper..."

What's he singing about there? Was that a brand of whiskey or soda pop that would have been sold in Texas?

(Uh...it seems I've once again linked to a video that has Emmylou Harris in it. Funny how often that happens, innit?)
Old 10-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #16
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Dear Heavens, I cannot believe no one has mentioned

I Want Candy by BowWowWow

or

Peaches by The Presidents of the United States of America
CrankySpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #17
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

Really love your peaches wanna shake your tree.........Steve Miller Band
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #18
FreeThinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Really love your peaches wanna shake your tree.........Steve Miller Band
"You squeeze my lemons 'til the juice runs down my leg" -- Willie Dixon.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #19
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

A friend introduced me to this song. More of a feeder song than a foodee one, but it's still about food.

Everybody Eats When They Come To My House
From Cab Calloway and His Orchestra

Have a banana, Hannah,
Try the salami, Tommy,
Give with the gravy, Davy,
Everybody eats when they come to my house!

Try a tomato, Plato,
Here's cacciatore, Dorie,
Taste the baloney, Tony,

I fix your favorite dishes,
Hopin' this good food fills ya!
Work my hands to the bone in the kitchen alone,
You better eat if it kills ya!

Pass me a pancake, Mandrake,
Have an hors-d'oeuvre-y, Irvy,
Look in the fendel (?), Mendel,

Hannah! Davy! Tommy! Dora! Mandrake!

Pastafazoola, Talullah!
Oh, do have a bagel, Fagel,
Now, don't be so bashful, Nashville,

Hey, this is a party, Marty,
Here, you get the cherry, Jerry,
Now, look, don't be so picky, Micky,
'Cause everybody eats when they come to my house!

All of my friends are welcome,
Don't make me coax you, moax you,
Eat the tables, the chairs, the napkins, who cares?
You gotta eat if it chokes you!

Oh, do have a knish, Nishia,
Pass me the latke, Macky,
Chile con carne for Barney,

Face! Buster! Chair! Chops! Fump!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #20
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth View Post
A friend introduced me to this song. More of a feeder song than a foodee one, but it's still about food.

Have a banana, Hannah,
Try the salami, Tommy,

Try a tomato, Plato,
Taste the baloney, Tony,

Pastafazoola, Talullah!

Did anyone else read this with the hope of seeing your own name?? Oh well, mine's not there but I'm sure I'd get candy at that house.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #21
CandySmooch

CandySmooch can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesCandySmooch can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I Love Rocky Road - Weird Al

Whats that one song...chorus goes...peaches for you, peaches for me....its not the other peach song mentioned above.
CandySmooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #22
FreeThinker

"Bob's Dogs And Burgs" -- Fred Eaglesmith

(Sorry, couldn't find an example online)
Old 11-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #23
Baba Fats

Baba Fats can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBaba Fats can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Lightbulb 500 Songs About Food (plus three)

Now here's a topic I can really get my teeth into (so to speak). I dare you to find a great food song that isn't already included in this Top 500 list:

Offhand, I can think of three more favorites that somehow got left out - "Long Tall Glasses" by Leo Sayer, "Burger God" by Big Daddy Graham (note to Randi: he also recorded the Garden State anthem "Viva New Jersey," though I think Uncle Floyd did it first), and "Fifty Cents," a true classic by Billy Mortimer and Dan Lewis, which dates all the way back to 1881:

http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?thr...71&messages=21

Those who share my aural fixation might also enjoy this food song thread:

http://talk.livedaily.com/archive/in.../t-409769.html

which includes yet another version of "On Top of Spaghetti."
Baba Fats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:06 PM   #24
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Fats View Post
Now here's a topic I can really get my teeth into (so to speak). I dare you to find a great food song that isn't already included in this Top 500 list:

Offhand, I can think of three more favorites that somehow got left out - "Long Tall Glasses" by Leo Sayer, "Burger God" by Big Daddy Graham (note to Randi: he also recorded the Garden State anthem "Viva New Jersey," though I think Uncle Floyd did it first), and "Fifty Cents," a true classic by Billy Mortimer and Dan Lewis, which dates all the way back to 1881:

http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?thr...71&messages=21

Those who share my aural fixation might also enjoy this food song thread:

http://talk.livedaily.com/archive/in.../t-409769.html

which includes yet another version of "On Top of Spaghetti."
Baba!! You are finally here on the Foodee Board. Please keep posting! You'd have so much to offer.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #25
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth View Post

Have a banana, Hannah,
Try the salami, Tommy,

Try a tomato, Plato,
Taste the baloney, Tony,

Pastafazoola, Talullah!

Longtime listeners of Faith Middleton's Food Shmooze know this as her theme song. Her radio show is on Connecticut NPR stations from 3-4pm on Wednesdays. Her show is actually Monday-Friday but every Wednesday is all about food. She gets famous chefs to talk about food topics, and she gets food purveyors as well. It is a delight.