Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-13-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
Gordo Mejor

Gordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesGordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Just Like Mom Used to Make

Mother knows best

Did your Mom have special ingredients that made the foods she served specially good?

My Mom was a grad student for most of my life. The eternal student, she was it. But she still had time to develop a few secret ingredients.

Oatmeal instead of crumbs for Meatloaf. Even my (pre-ex)wife had to admit that was the way to go.

Macaroni boiled in milk for the macaroni and cheese. She also cooked it for a couple of hours in the double boiler. My own recipe for M&C is a complete rejection of hers, but hey, her's was what got me to love Mac and Cheese in the first place. lol
Gordo Mejor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:05 PM   #2
LurkingBBW
Foodee extraordinaire

LurkingBBW can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesLurkingBBW can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Tuna Casserole

My grandmother made a tuna casserole with Ritz cracker crumbs on top - topped with a lot of butter. Yummy! Only problem is I don't have the tuna casserole recipe. It was made with Campbells Cream of Mushroom soup and noodles but, I don't know how much or what else was in there. So, if anyone can give me that recipe or a different one that they make I would appreciate it! That topping would also be great for Macaroni and Cheese.
LurkingBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
Redhotphatgirl
Summer time summer time

Redhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

Raspberry pie...pie in general but raspberry is my favorite. I get a whole pie for me when i go home.

Corn bread...my mom makes the best corn bread
Home made pickled beets...no one else compares.
fried chicken....
chocolate gravy....i can not do it.
biscuits....
can you tell my mama is southern....
THE SOUTH MIGHT NOT RISE AGAIN BUT ONCE YOU EAT THERE YOU WILL BE A CONFEDERATE PRISONER heheheheheh
Redhotphatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Uhm... grease noodles. I can't find anyone else who has ever had these. My granny made egg noodles which were basically rolled out and cut dumplings. She boiled them and then one batch had melted butter on it, and the other batch had hot grease from where they had fried the chicken. I know they sound gross... but honestly, I would give a lot to have them again.

That and the bourbon in the jam cake and the extra bourbon in the balls and oh yeah the bourbon in the egg nog, fruitcake, sweet potato casserole.

Last edited by jamie; 10-14-2005 at 07:17 AM.
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:37 PM   #5
Sandie S-R

Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkingBBW
My grandmother made a tuna casserole with Ritz cracker crumbs on top - topped with a lot of butter. Yummy! Only problem is I don't have the tuna casserole recipe. It was made with Campbells Cream of Mushroom soup and noodles but, I don't know how much or what else was in there. So, if anyone can give me that recipe or a different one that they make I would appreciate it! That topping would also be great for Macaroni and Cheese.

Ahhhh yes, I know that recipe....here is a basic that you can play with:

1 - package of pasta (elbows, rotinis, shells, whatever you want).
2 - 6oz cans to tuna (I prefer the albacore in water)
1 - regular can of Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 - small can of petite peas
1 - cup of crumbled Ritz crackers
butter
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375% for 15 minutes
Lightly grease a glass baking dish on bottom and sides with butter.
Boil package of noodles/pasta as per the package directions, drain.
Combine drained pasta, drained tuna, drained peas, salt & pepper and Cream of Mushroom in a mixing bowl. Stir with large spoon until well mixed. Spoon mixture into greased baking dish. Sprinkle top with crumbled Ritz crackers. Dot top of cracker mixture with butter, and palce uncovered dish in oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until bubbley, and crackers are slightly brown and crispy.

Enjoy!!
Sandie S-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 03:39 AM   #6
Korota

Korota can now change their title

My mom makes awesome turkey meatballs using a can of cream of mushroom soup instead of regular gravy.

And my dad makes some amazing chicken using potato flakes instead of normal breading! =P
Korota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:39 AM   #7
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default the old country

My mom isn't much for cooking. She cooked every day while I was growing up, don't get me wrong, but she was very upfront about it not being a hobby and her not being very creative. When I look back, I wish I'd helped more (and the rest of my family, too). I just assumed Moms do that kind of thing. Now I know she was a person (with likes and dislikes) first, a mom second!

but one thing she makes that I LOVE is called: griesmeel met bessensap (...farina with berry sauce). The sauce makes it come alive, but the heart of the 'pudding' (which is really just farina) is so very, very bland, and for some reason, i LOVE it. I've always liked bland food! And in our house, we call this 'cement pudding' (you can stick a knife in it and it'll stand upright for hours!) and I ask her to make it now and then when I visit. Generally, when I visit and ask for something special, it's always Dutch food.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:25 AM   #8
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

My mom is and never was a spectacular cook. She only had a few dishes that she could make well, and we had them over and over and over when I was a kid. Fried chicken, pot roast, king ranch casserole, "pepper steak" beef tips over rice. Simple homestyle stuff. Her saving grace in the kitchen was that she knew how to prepare garden or produce market fresh vegetables and fruits in a simple manner that didn't mask or ruin the texture and flavor.

She can make really good bananna pudding though, she makes her pudding from scratch with milk, vanilla, sugar, cornstarch, and egg yolks maybe? I've never helped her make it, just watched her. So, she makes the pudding, strains it, and layers it with sliced banannas and vanilla wafers and then chills the whole thing. It's very good. Much better than the kind made with jello pudding. You can really taste a difference between homemade pudding and box pudding.

Tracy
Tracyarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #9
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I remember my paternal grandmother making the most excellent chopped liver. She would cook the onions in schmaltz (chicken fat) and added griebens which is the crispy stuff left over from the fried fat. Added was hard boiled eggs. It was delicious and creamy. I cannot find storebought that compares. She also made a mean mock version, too.

My maternal grandma who can't cook in the same capacity because of health issues was always an excellent cook. She would gives us lectures about our weight but in the same breath serve us these grand meals. For breakfast at times she would make matzo brei: that's just plain matzo crackers dipped briefly under hot water until soft. They you cover them in egg and fry them up. You can either eat them sweet(like my dad's family) or with salt. I like a combination of the two. She also knew how to make a mean macaroni and cheese or something as simple as a fried egg sandwich. She also could whip up batches of soup and made the most excellent dressing and giblet gravy at thanksgiving.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:40 AM   #10
HeatherBBW
Nerd-like.

HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Eek seen your post and am dying because I haven't had any lunch yet.

My mom does magic with her food. I swear it has to be... everything she makes is so yummy.

I always thought it was funny that she would give me shit about being so fat and getting fatter when I was growing up and she fed me like a small horse.

Go figure!
HeatherBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:20 AM   #11
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

Growing up my mom was the best cook I ever knew. She is 100% Italian but she also learned how to cook German for my dad. Her Spaghetti Sauce is still the best I have ever had. Her meatballs are to die for and her lasagna is enough to make a grown man cry. But also her pork and Sauerkraut with potato dumplings and Sauerfleisch and potato pancakes are unbelievable.

Mom's home cookin - there aint nothing like it.
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:37 PM   #12
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

sweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default Reuben Casserole

My Mom used to make this awesome reuben casserole!!

Pre-heat oven to 350 - In a casserole: spray with non-stick spray, add a jar of drained, rinsed sauerkraut, two large cans of corned beef hash, a cup of thousand island dressing, and as much swiss cheese as you please. Mix bisquick according to their drop-biscuit recipe and add caraway seeds to the mixture (if desired). Bake casserole in oven until heated through (about 30 min.) Then layer the entire top with the Bisquick batter and continue baking about 20 min. or until the top is golden brown. Serve.

This next one sounds really odd but Mom made this on Friday's knowing full well that some of her babies didn't like fish.
Simple: For two - Hard boil 6 eggs, make a pot of white rice, heat a can of tomato sauce. Place rice on a plate, top with 3 eggs, sliced and cover all with tomato sauce and chow down.
Like I said, it sounds odd but is still a favorite comfort food to this day!!!
sweetnnekked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:21 PM   #13
LurkingBBW
Foodee extraordinaire

LurkingBBW can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesLurkingBBW can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Thank you Sandie. That's it!

I knew that one of the foodees on this board would be able to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie S-R
Ahhhh yes, I know that recipe....here is a basic that you can play with:

1 - package of pasta (elbows, rotinis, shells, whatever you want).
2 - 6oz cans to tuna (I prefer the albacore in water)
1 - regular can of Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 - small can of petite peas
1 - cup of crumbled Ritz crackers
butter
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375% for 15 minutes
Lightly grease a glass baking dish on bottom and sides with butter.
Boil package of noodles/pasta as per the package directions, drain.
Combine drained pasta, drained tuna, drained peas, salt & pepper and Cream of Mushroom in a mixing bowl. Stir with large spoon until well mixed. Spoon mixture into greased baking dish. Sprinkle top with crumbled Ritz crackers. Dot top of cracker mixture with butter, and palce uncovered dish in oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until bubbley, and crackers are slightly brown and crispy.

Enjoy!!
LurkingBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:14 PM   #14
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

My late mother's secret ingredient was the loose-leaf Betty Crocker Cookbook she got in the early '50s. They reprinted it a few years ago, and I saw them for sale at Barnes & Noble.

The one dish of hers that I remember the most was her Macaroni & Cheese. SHe made it with whole mils and lots of American Cheese. (The real stuff - none of that "cheese food" stuff.) Witha layer of cheese slices on top that made a nice crust as it baked in the oven....

We had that a lot when I was a kid, because I grew up Catholic and back then Catholics couldn't eat meat on Fridays.