Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 02-12-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
1300 Class
Pam Poovey's Stunt Double

1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Husband eats 50-year-old chicken

A man celebrated his golden wedding anniversary by eating a 50-year-old tin of chicken.

Quote:
Les and Beryl Lailey, of Denton, Gtr Manchester, were given the chicken in a hamper on their wedding day in 1956.

The Buxted Chicken tin remained in their kitchen cupboard until the couple marked 50 years together this month.

"We kept it safe, and I always said 'on my 50th wedding anniversary I'm going to eat that chicken' - so I did," said former soldier, Mr Lailey, aged 73.

"When we got married I'd just come out of the Army and we had very little money, so we did our own buffet.

"We got a hamper as a present and included in it was this whole chicken in a tin. We didn't use it and packed it away and kept it."

Tight vacuum

Mr Lailey, a former soldier, said he had not felt ill since eating the chicken.

The couple were given the chicken on their wedding day

The pair met at an Irish pub in Hulme, Manchester.

"I had to go back to the Army almost straight after we met, but we kept in touch by writing letters. I came home and we got married," Mr Lailey added.

Prof Eunice Taylor, a food safety expert at the University of Salford, said: "Canned food can last indefinitely if it has been sealed properly, although the normal shelf life is about six months.

"If it's done at high temperatures and under high pressure, then the process should create a tight vacuum.

"If anyone is going to eat old canned food, I would suggest they heat it thoroughly first of all, just in case to be extra safe."
1300 Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
fatlane
Starting Arvist

fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Wow. He survived.

Just remember that acceptance is 71.4% of size acceptance.
fatlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

And he didn't share it with his wife??

btw, it says it was a whole chicken in that can. Bones and all??

I know, that's not the point. I can't even imagine 50 yr old chicken. I did notice that the photo was not of the man eating the chicken, but of the can, unopened.

hmmmm.....

Where was this story, anyhow? The National Enquirer??

Thanks for posting, AL. Coincidentally I was already a little queasy after watching Lynette on Desperate Housewives eat a pound of raw bacon. So this seemed tame.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:18 PM   #4
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think he was looking for a way out.

Poor ol' chap. It didn't work.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
fatlane
Starting Arvist

fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

War, 50 years of marriage, antique chicken... the guy's built to last.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlane
War, 50 years of marriage, antique chicken... the guy's built to last.
He should go hunting with Cheney.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Reminds me of C-Rations and Canned bread, that I found in my grandfather's basement, from WWII.

No, I didn't even bother to open them.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:02 AM   #8
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Is the husband the one on the left or the right?
Old 02-13-2006, 02:21 AM   #9
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Once my Grandpa too ate some 50 year old chicken...

He calls it my Grandma though...
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:50 AM   #10
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Allright, in college, we had this tin of Civil Air Defense biscuits (the shit they made in the 60s, to keep down in your air raid/bomb cellar). They were atop the fridge and the metal lid was slightly bent, so the tin didn't close.

We don't know how they got there. They might still be there, in fact.

but we were poor and we were desperate and we ate them. Oh yes, we ate them. They sort of tasted like a cross between a saltine and a graham cracker. They must've been loaded with preservatives (they certainly never tasted stale even though the box didn't close).

hmmn.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:16 AM   #11
Isa
In search of....

Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
I think he was looking for a way out.

Poor ol' chap. It didn't work.
LOL! Here's hoping they have many more years together.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:10 PM   #12
fatlane
Starting Arvist

I once ate M&Ms that were 3 years old.

I have not eaten many M&Ms since. That taste is always in the back of my mouth...

Old 02-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #13
Jane
Photo (c) Fatlane

Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!

Along with Fuzzy Chicklets.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:33 PM   #14
1300 Class
Pam Poovey's Stunt Double

1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Its from the BBC.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/4693520.stm
1300 Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:15 PM   #15
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

If he REALLY wants to take a chance he should try the food at White Castle.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:03 PM   #16
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

So the key to a long and successful marriage is eating extremely rancid food.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:21 PM   #17
RedHead
Tom Selleck's Bride

RedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this board

First thought....EWWWWWWW it's in a can, it's a whole chicken and well the visuals are just not pretty!

But I have to say I just picked up a moose on the road kill list - helped gut it and clean it...(remember it was hit by a vehicle...not pretty) had a shoulder that we hung for a week outside to age...gave it to a customer as a treat.

It's not like I don't have a strong stomach...but that's just gross!

"Yawn and the world yawns with you. Snore and you sleep alone."

Anonymous
RedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:50 AM   #18
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHead
I just picked up a moose on the road kill list
Okay, if no one else is going to ask, I am! Is this like some kind of public service? "Annoucement, I just knocked over a moose. Come and get him, folks!" (Something tells me the answer is going to be yes.)
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:54 AM   #19
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft
btw, it says it was a whole chicken in that can. Bones and all??
My grandma used to make a casserole that called for chicken in a can. The can's about the size of one of those big family-size juice cans. The chicken is whole--no bones, no skin. When you plop it out there's a disgusting gel all over everything though. I assume you can still buy them.

Other than that one ingredient, grandma was a great cook. Honest.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #20
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday
My grandma used to make a casserole that called for chicken in a can. The can's about the size of one of those big family-size juice cans. The chicken is whole--no bones, no skin. When you plop it out there's a disgusting gel all over everything though. I assume you can still buy them.

OMG that sounds so gross!!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 02-21-2006, 06:00 PM   #21
Santaclear
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday
When you plop it out there's a disgusting gel all over everything though. I assume you can still buy them.

Is there a way I can order it without the chicken and just get the disgusting gel?
Old 02-22-2006, 08:33 AM   #22
rainyday
Departed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaclear
Is there a way I can order it without the chicken and just get the disgusting gel?
Dunno about that, but cat eye boogers seem about the same consistency, if you can harvest them in bulk. Either that or generic winter cold snot thickened with cornstarch.

(Yeah, you all want to eat now, don't you?)

P.S. Only you Santaclear LOL
Old 02-22-2006, 10:31 AM   #23
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaclear
Rainy's idea works - or buy gefilte fish - that comes with LOTS of disgusting gel. But it's fish gel not chicken gel.

yum yum