Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 02-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
10centporkchop

10centporkchop has said some nice things
Default All You Can Eat Chinese Buffet

I love Chinese food. I spend almost all of my disposable income on Chinese food and most of that goes to my local all you can eat Chinese Buffet. Lately I've been hooked on something they call "salt and pepper chicken" which is fried chicken wings cut into small bite size pieces. It has a spicey taste, I think they use ginger and curry. I love their fried shrimp, fish, egg drop soup, crab ragoons.....I could go on and on. I usually stuff myself at the lunch buffet because prices are lower at lunch time and then I am full the rest of the day. I wonder if the Chinese servers get to keep their tips or if they are basicly being kept as slaves and have to turn all their tips over to the big boss. Funny you never see these Chinese people on the streets, in the stores or anywhere. They are always working, - expect they are illegal immigrants. They used to have something they called "peanut chicken" which was fried chicken breast strips in a wonderful peanut flavored grease. Do not confuse peanut chicken with Kung Pow Chicken. Anyone ever tried peanut chicken? It's to die for.
10centporkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #2
Paul Delacroix

Paul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going on

There's a SUPERB Chinese Buffet called "Summer Palace" in Waco, Texas.

If you're ever passing through, you must stop there. :-)
Paul Delacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:01 AM   #3
olly5764

olly5764 can now change their title

There is an all you can eat Indian Buffet in Bilston, near Wolverhampton, England
olly5764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

i'm envious of you guys who can go to such a buffet. being a vegetarian for religious reasons, I get afraid of cross contamination with meat and stuff. I LOVE chinese food!!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I LOVE Chinese buffets! I really love salt and pepper ribs, and even more, salt and pepper king prawn... they don't do the prawn one at the buffet though! They're my fave chinese dishes. The last chinese buffet I went to, in December had salt and pepper calamari rings, they were out of this world. I went to back up for more, but a line of tiny Chinese ladies were around it, and took the lot! They obviously had inside info! I also really enjoy the crispy seaweed, if its available at a buffet I'll pile it on my plate since its too expensive to buy little packs of it at the supermarket, I don't know why it's so expensive, as its basically deep fried spring cabbage! I love chicken satay skewers if they are made on the premises - so juicy and flavoursome, I don't like the little kind of moulded looking ones that supermarkets sell. I had a lovely glazed salmon dish at a buffet not long ago that was very good too. I prefer beef or seafood to chicken, and I enjoy beef in black bean sauce, with green pepper. Im not so keen on the black pepper sauce though, just too peppery, it overwhelms the food.

I usually have about two and a half plates of food, I take VERY little rice, noodles, and no fries, as they fill me up too much and I want to take advantage of the meat, fish etc . I don't reckon much profit is had from my visits. I don't bother with soup either. If I feel very full up before I want to stop eating I will take a couple of cold slices of melon, which seem to refresh me, then Im ready for dessert. I'll have a slice of gateau (mandarin if they have it), ice cream, some profiteroles (cream puffs with chocolate sauce) and a tiny slice of cheesecake if there is a lemon or blackcurrant one (wouldn't want to appear greedy now...).

Okay enough... I love buffets!

And we have lots of Indian buffets here in Scotland too, but I find Indian food fills me up very quickly indeed, so I prefer to buy takeaway Indian food before 7pm when its cheaper, and then I can go back to it again and again.

Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
altered states
señor member

altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10centporkchop View Post
I wonder if the Chinese servers get to keep their tips or if they are basicly being kept as slaves and have to turn all their tips over to the big boss. Funny you never see these Chinese people on the streets, in the stores or anywhere. They are always working, - expect they are illegal immigrants.
You are actually eating the waiters who ask for their tips.
altered states is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love Chinese food, but I don't care for Chinese food buffets. I find it especially appalling when they also offer pizza and hot dogs on said buffet. I guess I'm just picky, but the quality of the food is just, well, not up to snuff for me. Chinese food is meant to be served immediately after cooking...not to be sitting around in steam baths. Occassionally I've found certain items / restaurants to be good but generally not.

Which reminds me, there was one which we used to frequent near my workplace...found a screw in the food once...and then another time a cigar butt. Never went back. The screw I could rationalize as having fallen off some of the kitchen equipment, but not the cigar butt. All I'm saying...is check your food!
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
Neen
Free Spirit

Neen can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesNeen can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesNeen can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Which reminds me, there was one which we used to frequent near my workplace...found a screw in the food once...and then another time a cigar butt. Never went back. The screw I could rationalize as having fallen off some of the kitchen equipment, but not the cigar butt. All I'm saying...is check your food![/QUOTE]

eww!! That is so gross..and scary!!
Old 02-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

that's gross Neen. We had a chinese buffet place get shut down multiple times for health code violations.. it was out of buisness for several years and a different chinese buffet company bought the building.. it went under because of lack of business..
Old 02-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #10
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The buffet I go to is always really busy, so the staff are constantly bringing out new trays of food. nothing sits long enough to lose its crispness or freshness. they don't put huge amounts out at the one time either, again it means its constantly refreshed. I definitely wouldnt like if it had been lying around congealing in the bain maries and under the heat lamps!
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #11
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics

Yes, I love Chinese food but am wary of the buffets. Either they serve less than first quality food (think Airport food courts style cuisine) or they get closed down for health violations. If I want Chinese food I go to New York City or a few of the local Asian fusion spots.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

There is a Chinese buffet on the South Shore that Eric and I love to go to and they have these wonderful dumplings with delicious peanut sauce that I just can't get enough of. I also love their tempura veggies and the general tao chicken. Those dumplings, though...

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #13
bmann0413
PLAYER ONE READY! START!

bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Okay, that's it... I'm going to the Chinese buffet that's near campus... you people have made me hungry... lol
Old 02-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #14
wistful

wistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by lypeaches View Post
I love Chinese food, but I don't care for Chinese food buffets. I find it especially appalling when they also offer pizza and hot dogs on said buffet. I guess I'm just picky, but the quality of the food is just, well, not up to snuff for me!

I have to agree with this.While I'll gladly admit to enjoying less-than-authentic Chinese food on many an occasion over the years, I have never,ever managed to find a truly decent chinese buffet.While I know they must exist, I've only eaten at ones that at *best* could be described as "tasty enough".

I once heard a comedian say, in regards to a restaurant chain that is well known for its' huge portions, "It's a whole lot of food but not a whole lot of yummy" and yeah...that pretty much sums up my Chinese buffet experiences.

"Look at that. Look how she moves. That's just like jell-o on springs. She must have some sort of built-in motor or something. I tell you, it's a whole different sex.”
wistful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #15
LJ Rock

LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Yeah, I agree with wistful, jcas50 and lypeaches; I absolutely love Chinese food, but not too crazy about most of the buffets. I think for the most part, when I go out to eat I want to go to a nice place where you are seated, choose what you want from an actual menu (with writing on it, not just pictures of food, lol) and you are served freshly cooked food that is prepared just for you with care (or, I guess at least the illusion that it is.)

As much as I love to eat, and the idea of eating "all you can" sounds appealing in theory, I can't help sometimes but feel like so much cattle when I am prodding and elbowing my way down the buffet-line (or what semblance of a "line" there is) making my way up to the trough to graze. lol Not to mention the utter lack of ambiance in most of those places; I'd much prefer someplace small and intimate, as opposed to something that resembles a cafeteria or boot-camp mess hall.

There is always the issue of sanitation and cleanliness, but then I find that can be an issue at any type of restaurant you might frequent. That's all about management, and how much they care to take care of such things. A dirty joint is a dirty joint!

I also imagine there must be an exponentially greater amount of food waste that occurs in a place like that as opposed to a regular sit-down-and-serve type spot. I mean, I know that food waste is a sad part of the restaurant business as a whole, but when you think about how many people go up and get plate after plate full of food, only to eat a few bites of each and leave the rest to be discarded, it's kind of disgusting. Frankly, I don't know how many of those places can even stay in business as long as they do.

Well, to each their own I suppose. Don't want to take anything away from anyone's enjoyment of such. And it's not that I wouldn't go to one ever, just that if I had my choice in the matter I would opt for someplace else. The Chinese buffet seems to have grown in popularity immensely in recent years, I just hope that it never fully replaces the traditional sit-down (or even take-out) Chinese restaurants.

Even if they did... I have come to realize lately that I can make at home just about anything on the typical Chinese restaurant menu at home, with a few simple ingredients at nearly half the cost of eating out!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #16
Saxphon

Saxphon knows EXACTLY what's going onSaxphon knows EXACTLY what's going onSaxphon knows EXACTLY what's going onSaxphon knows EXACTLY what's going onSaxphon knows EXACTLY what's going onSaxphon knows EXACTLY what's going on

Ok, I smelled the word 'buffet', here on the computer when I was across the room, and so I had to check in and leave a post ......

First, here is a suggestion about buffets. Go to a restaurant that is busy and go during dinner hours. If they are busy, there is a quicker turn-around for that food that is being kept warm. Therefore, it is fresher.

Second, there is a Chinese restaurant locally, but they do not offer a buffet. They DO offer a Mongolian BBQ most nights, and THAT is all you can eat! Talk about fresh! And you put in the selections that they cook for you. Yum, yum! I usually do only 4 bowls, but that also comes with soup, egg rolls and tea.

Would be fun sometime if there was someone to enjoy that BBQ with me .........

Saxphon
Saxphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:25 PM   #17
gaffo
On Timeout

gaffo can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesgaffo can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Buffet and good never mix - esp WRT to Chinese.

there are a few decent Indian buffets here, but only 2 or so out of 20.

As for Chinese, way way back in the 70's in the big cities where there were "Chinatowns" you could find authentic restuarants where all the customers where Orientals and the menus had no english on them.

I go to a place like this near my work - but it is in "little saigon" and it is Vietmamese not chinese.

SO FAR Veitnamese remains authetic and is not yet "americanized" (ie hot-spice removed and fried grease and corn syrip injected noodles imposed).

In such places the menus are in Vietnamese - and sometime French. All the customers are Orientals (90+ percentage), all the food is spicy and there is nothing sweet on the menu. Usually vermichelli(sp) bowl with hot peppers/cucumbers/fish oil/ bbq pork/ shrimp/ and Tye-basil (plant that tastes like licorice(sp) is the best thing on the menu.

Curry Checken is good too.

of course good Indian food is good and spicy - with all the things americans hate - like curry/ hot pepper/ cardiman/ tumaric/ and any and all spices that are not sugars.
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:11 AM   #18
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo View Post

of course good Indian food is good and spicy - with all the things americans hate - like curry/ hot pepper/ cardiman/ tumaric/ and any and all spices that are not sugars.
OK Gaffo, seriously, there are at least SOME Americans who love those things!!!
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #19
Raqui

Raqui does more than just post hot picsRaqui does more than just post hot picsRaqui does more than just post hot picsRaqui does more than just post hot pics
Default When I was in Atlantic city

I dont like chinese food much myself but when I was in atlantic city there was a restaurant PC Changs The mongolian beef is fantasic. So were the friend dumplings A big on the high priced side but the quality is marvelous.

Raqui
Raqui is offline   Reply With Quote