Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 04-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
JoyJoy

JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default 'Shrooms!

I haven't seen a thread here for this subject, so I thought I'd start one. If there's another, Mods, please do add this to it!

I confess I don't know a lot about mushrooms - how to cook them, info about different kinds, etc. I hated them up until a few years ago, but it was that childhood kind of hate, since I had never really given them a shot. Now I find myself standing in front of them at the grocery store, wondering at all the different kinds, perplexed at what to buy...and usually just end up with the most common variety. Last week, though, I saw these (called white beech mushrooms in my store) and couldn't resist.

I wasn't sure how I was going to use them, but I just had to get them. They sat in my fridge for almost a week, because I was still at a loss, but I feared they would spoil, so tonight I took the plunge and experimented a bit. The outcome was quite delicious.

When I took them out of the package, they were all still joined at the root, as one compact grouping. I debated on cutting off the bottom part, but chose to lightly rinse the entire thing, breaking it up gently with my fingers. I heated approx. 1 tbsp of olive oil, one clove of garlic, and a healthy sprinkling of rosemary in a frying pan, then added the mushrooms and let them saute while I sliced two small yellow squash and two zucchini, which I then added to the pan and put on a med-low heat with a lid. While that was cooking, I opened a can of cream of chicken soup with herbs and added one can of milk to the pot, heating it to a simmer. When the squash was still slightly crunchy, I spooned approx. 3/4-1 cup of the soup into the veggies, then let it simmer about 5 more minutes. At the store, I had also gotten a package of Uncle Ben's garlic butter "Ready Rice" to try, so I had cooked that and spooned a healthy portion of the veggies over it.

I have to say, my little experiment was pretty successful. The mushrooms have a slightly rubbery texture (I'm wondering if that might have to do with the way I cooked them or how long they stayed in my fridge?) but the flavor is very pleasant...nutty and just slightly sweet. They were a nice blend with the squash, and the soup enhanced all of the flavors. It also went very well with the garlic-butter rice. Definitely something I'll be trying again!

JoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
fatgirlflyin
needs a vacation

fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!

I dont know much about mushrooms either but whenever I grill steak I get a big basket of the regular ole mushrooms and a couple of sweet onions and sautee them in a pan with some butter. Delicious! Even my 8 year old daughter loves them.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
MsGreenLantern
Keanu Drakula The Centaur

MsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticed

My favorite way to make mushrooms...hmm Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced down, tossed with extra virgin olive oil, onion, baby spinach, fresh garlic, and bread crumbs! It's really delicious, but not overly attractive to look at.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

Haven't seen that kind yet Joy, I'll have to try them. Love 'shrooms. Sauteed in a little garlic butter I can just sit and eat a bowl, kind of hobbitlike. I usually get the crimini (brown) rather than white buttons. They seem to have more flavor. Add a little cream and a small shot of sherry to a pan full of sauteed mushrooms and you can put the result on nearly anything...rice, pasta, seafood, chicken...

OK, now I've got to go fix dinner...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I love mushrooms, and none better than morels! Last week my local cheese store had three small sacks of fresh morels, and I took one home. And last night I sauteed the last three morels and had them on a pizza. I've never done that before, but you can bet I'll do it again...next year...when it's morel time again (sigh).
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

It's morel time here in Chicago, they are very popular and people are extremely secretive about their best hunting grounds. I have never had them, so I really can't say if all the hoo-hah is worth it. Are they really THAT good? And why?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Morel mushrooms .... hand picked, cleaned & dried ... then dipped in an egg/milk mixture, coated with salted flour & deep fried until golden brown. Heaven on a (paper) plate!
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:02 AM   #8
LoveBHMS
default title

LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!

Regular white/button mushrooms sliced raw in spinach salad.

Grilled portobello perfectly plain. Can't have any sort of dressing or spread or cheese.

Sauteed any type of mushrooms in sherry. Can be eaten plain or added to eggs or pasta.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
Kimberleigh
gardening, mostly.

Kimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I adore mushrooms, and yes, morels are worth every penny and every hour spent hunting them down!

I like them sauteed with garlic and a shot of vermouth, add a bit of butter, swirl them all around and plumped down on a nice fresh roasted chicken breast or a grilled steak.

I also stuff the bigger mushrooms with either ground beef or crabmeat mixture (breadcrumbs, an egg, seasonings plus the protein), then bake those and top with either red sauce for the beef or a cream type sauce with lemon and dill for the crabmeat. yummmmmmmy
Kimberleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
sunnie1653
Happiest. Mommy. Ever. :)

sunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I freakin love mushrooms. I'll eat them straight out of the fridge if I have them. My favorite way to eat mushrooms... take a huge portabella cap, clean it, etc.. put it on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, put salt/pepper/garlic/spices/whatever you want, on it, and broil it for about 2-3 mins, until it starts to give off its mushroomy juice and browns up a bit (you could do this in a skillet, too.)

Then melt cheese on it and use the mushroom cap as a burger. Holymotherofgod. Its amazing.

And Joy - next time you make your mushroom concoction, try browning the mushrooms completely first before adding things in. That will get rid of the rubbery texture.
sunnie1653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #11
TearInYourHand
Mistress Member

TearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Mushrooms are one of my absolute favorite foods, and I don't think I've ever had one I don't like. I always get them on my pizza!

I think my favorite mushroom recipe is as follows:

Mushroom and asparagus risotto

2-3 packages of assorted mushrooms (I like button, crimini, shitaki, oyster...)
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
1 bunch asparagus
2-3 cans chicken broth
1 cup arborio rice
salt, pepper
olive oil
splash of red wine

1. Cut off ends of asparagus (the tough part) and toss with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast at 400 degrees until desired doneness (still a bit crisp). Set aside. I usually do this while starting step 2.

2. Chop onion and garlic, sautee in olive oil. Add mushrooms, sautee for 5-7 more minutes. Add rice, toss to coat in oil and veggies.

3. Add ladle by ladle of heated chicken broth (or veggie) and let cook into/absorb into the rice. Add broth until rice is done. Frequently stir this, and let it get creamy. At some point, add the splash of red wine, of which you will of course be drinking a glass of by now (can you tell I'm an imprecise cook!)

4. Stir in the chopped, roasted asparagus. You can add cheese or cream to the risotto, but I like it as is, with lots of crushed black pepper, and a salad!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Big mushroom lover here, though I'm the only one in my family. I often put them in spaghetti sauce, sauteed with onions for steak, and of course in beef stroganoff. I just leave them in big pieces so the Mister and Kid can pick them out and give them to me.

I also make stuffed mushrooms a lot for potlucks and they get rave reviews. They're really simple and stuffed only with shredded mushroom stems, butter, green onion, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce and cheddar, but people LOVE them.

I don't really care for raw mushrooms, though. They really have to be cooked well for me to enjoy them.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #13
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Hmmm....raw mushrooms are ok, but I'm not a fan of the cooked mushroom. Well, they're ok on a pizza or in a sauce (but not loads!), but I don't like them sauteed at all.

Quite partial to the "magic" variety on occasion!
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin

Last edited by Gingembre; 04-22-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
Say Hello to the Angels
DORMANT

Say Hello to the Angels is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySay Hello to the Angels is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySay Hello to the Angels is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySay Hello to the Angels is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySay Hello to the Angels is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySay Hello to the Angels is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySay Hello to the Angels is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySay Hello to the Angels is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySay Hello to the Angels is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySay Hello to the Angels is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySay Hello to the Angels is a pillar of the Dimensions community

So subscribing to this one.

I love oyster mushrooms after I've sauteed them. The root ball I tear up into big chunks and boil in vegetable broth.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #15
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Big mushroom lover here, though I'm the only one in my family.
Ha! They just think they don't like them while they're enjoying the lovely rich taste they give to that stroganoff. I think it's the texture that puts off some people. I had an ex who swore that eating a single bite of 'shroom would make him puke. When I made chicken and dumplings I'd mince them fine in the food processor and they just melt in to the gravy. That man had no clue how many pounds of mushrooms he ate while we were together.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #16
CAMellie
Gabriel Spencer

CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Here in NorCal we recently had a glut of the largest button mushrooms I had ever seen! Easily close to portobella size!
Wiped them off, removed the stems, sauteed them in olive oil, butter, and a HUGE amount of garlic (at least 6 cloves minced finely) until they were browned. Then stuffed them with some provolone, popped them under the broiler until the cheese melted and bubbled.
Pure heaven!

*No stems were wasted in the making of the mushrooms. They were put in the stuffing later*
CAMellie is offline   Reply With Quote