Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 07-05-2008, 02:05 AM   #51
Olga_NYC

Olga_NYC can now change their title

lol I feel sorry for the OP, I'm not American and sometimes can have trouble with subtleties such as crush/squash.

I used to have a professor who had a knack for introducing synonyms (or words with a VERY similar meaning) into quizzes, and I thought that was so unfair because it wasn't a Language class, it was Abnormal Psychology!

I distinctly remember one episode where she asked something like: What reduces the risk of divorce?

1- Intimacy.
2- Connectedness.
3- Money.
4- Traveling.

Well, I knew the answer was basically "closeness". BUT, that wonderful woman gave me both "intimacy" AND "connectedness"

Of course I had to mark one randomly because I see no substantial difference between Intimacy and connectedness!! lol

And I actually went up to her and asked "Um... I feel these two are synonyms" and she said "nope" and didn't even explain why they weren't synonyms.

So she was basically testing our vocabulary while on a completely different subject exam!

What pisses me the most is I knew the answer! LOL

I'm sure I wasn't the only foreigner who got that one wrong.

But really, it wasn't me since I used to get As on my actual English classes! She just enjoyed those similar-meaning words!

Grrrr

Only professor who did that LOL
Olga_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #52
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Olga, that's a good point to bring up. I've always considered intimacy and connectedness to be different. Sorry your professor didn't explain. To me you can be connected to a person by an event or an object, place, another person, ect - something you have in common and still not know each other very well, moreover, that thing that connects you to someone could be the vehicle thru which intimacy can happen. For example, you could meet someone who likes, say a comic book you like and every time you're in the comic book shop and you see the person you stop and say hi and talk, but your friendship doesn't go any further. The comic books connect you and even tho you know each other, you still aren't intimate. Conversely you could be intimate with someone and still not be connected in many ways. For example, having a lover that you never really get to know very well for whatever reasons but still do things like have sex and cuddle afterwards or have secret signs or some such that you don't have with anyone else. You may like that kind of intimacy with that person, but not have much else in common.

I wonder what the equivalent words would be for these concepts in your native language whatever that is.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote