Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 03-18-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
Buffie
KittyBuffieKat

Location: Kansas City, MO (Most of KC is in Missouri and not Kansas, just FYI.)
Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default 54th Street Bar and Grill... FA owned and operated?

Anybody been to one of these? It's like someone took an Applebee's, tripled the portions, raised the prices 10% and put a little bit of crack in every meal. It's nuts!

Tacos.... ohmigawd, the tacos. But that's not all! Chicken fried chicken, fried shrimp, burgers, steak, fries, chips and salsa... These things called Tequila Wrappers that are like Southwest eggrolls only BETTER, super yummy munchies, no matter what your food mood is.

Here's what I found curious... Part of their gimmick seems to be the huge portions. They're very unapologetic about it, which RAWKS. The 'healthy selection' area of the menu is the size of a postage stamp. I'm not saying the rest of their food is un-healthy, but they're certainly not going for the low-carb demographic.

If there's one in your area, and you've got a group who can't decide between American fare, Mexican, steak, pasta or seafood... give 54th Street a try. It's a wee bit pricey. But if you consider that you'll probably be taking home enough left-overs for another meal, it's really not bad.

More than anything, IT'S DELICIOUS!!! Yum yum yum yum yum yum!

Hear the Twitter Patter of Little Tweets.
http://bit.ly/BuffieTweets
Buffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
SquishieGurl

SquishieGurl has said some nice things
Default damn

damn gurl.....these places rock. you are so right on. i went to one when i was on a business trip to kansas city, and i had some kind of fries and i think taquitos, and seriously i am never full.....and they did the job! supersized portions for sure!
SquishieGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:58 AM   #3
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

This is why I go to Claim Jumper with my favorite BHM, we really put it away when we go there, and we still have to split a dessert because there is so much food.
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

sweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by missaf
This is why I go to Claim Jumper with my favorite BHM, we really put it away when we go there, and we still have to split a dessert because there is so much food.
I had no idea Claim Jumper was an actual place!
I love their pot pies, they're awesome!!!!!!

- J. Garcia
- R. Hunter
sweetnnekked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ohhh I went to a Claim Jumpers in CA a couple of years back, it was soooo fun and the food was pretty good. I remember my dessert in particular... was this huge ice cream pie but the ice cream was toffee flavored, it was DAMN good.

Yum!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg claimjumppie.jpg (77.6 KB, 421 views)

Last edited by AnnMarie; 03-22-2006 at 06:46 PM. Reason: found a pic of the pie!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
Pannetoni

Pannetoni has said some nice things

Oh god I am overcome. There is such a feeling of, I don't know, comfort when you sit down at a restaurant and you know you're going to leave there totally, happily, gloriously full. I am so glad we don't live in the 90s anymore when everything was little plates of three shrimps and a carrot curl. LOL.
Pannetoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
Buffie
KittyBuffieKat

Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Guess who got wacky on tacos, chips and gringo dip this week! Guess!!! Buuuuuurp! LOL

Claim Jumper... hmmm.... We do not have these in KC. But that desert looks goooooooooood.

SquishieGurl, glad you got to experience 54th Street's tasty abundant goodness!

Old 03-23-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
JerseyBigBoy

Buffie, you ever go to Arthur Bryant's? Heard it was overrated.

Last edited by JerseyBigBoy; 03-23-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:02 PM   #9
Buffie
KittyBuffieKat

I have lived in KC for over 3 years now and have not heard a SINGLE good thing about Arthur Bryants, therefore, I've never gone. I heard it's more like Memphis style BBQ, which isn't my preference anyway.

For KC BBQ, I recommend:

1- Rosedale BBQ (Kansas side) Not only is it the BEST, the prices RULE!

2- Gates (several locations) KC classic, pretty good stuff. A little expensive.

3- LC's BBQ (Missouri side) Messy delicious yummyness! Amazing fries!

4- BB's Lawnside BBQ (Missouri side) Live music and great BBQ, primo combo!

Old 03-24-2006, 02:23 AM   #10
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

http://claimjumper.com/

I totally insist that you all try one at least once in your life!
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:13 AM   #11
MLadyJ

MLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot pics

My hubby and I were passing through KC a few months ago and I had heard about Arthur Bryant's on the Food Network (Bless their hearts!!) so we decided to stop for dinner. I really liked their food. Everyone there was super nice and the food was very good! They have this stuff called "burnt tips" which are pork rib tips that have gotton sort of charred ..they chop 'em up and served them with lot's of BBQ sauce..MMMMMM good. All in all our experience was very positive and we would definely go back given the chance.
MLadyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:05 PM   #12
Buffie
KittyBuffieKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by missaf
http://claimjumper.com/

I totally insist that you all try one at least once in your life!
Droooooling... Consider your advice very much taken! Thanks!

Old 03-24-2006, 07:09 PM   #13
Buffie
KittyBuffieKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLadyJ
My hubby and I were passing through KC a few months ago and I had heard about Arthur Bryant's on the Food Network (Bless their hearts!!) so we decided to stop for dinner. I really liked their food. Everyone there was super nice and the food was very good! They have this stuff called "burnt tips" which are pork rib tips that have gotton sort of charred ..they chop 'em up and served them with lot's of BBQ sauce..MMMMMM good. All in all our experience was very positive and we would definely go back given the chance.
First good thing I've heard from someone who's eaten there. Burnt ends are awwwwesome. They've got all the flavor of ribs and then some and chewing them is the most satisfying experience. Never had Bryant's burnt ends, but Rosedale certainly does em right.

Was it Memphis style, like I've heard? Or was it KC BBQ? That is something I've yet to determine.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:09 PM   #14
RedHead
Tom Selleck's Bride

RedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffie
First good thing I've heard from someone who's eaten there. Burnt ends are awwwwesome. They've got all the flavor of ribs and then some and chewing them is the most satisfying experience. Never had Bryant's burnt ends, but Rosedale certainly does em right.

Was it Memphis style, like I've heard? Or was it KC BBQ? That is something I've yet to determine.
Buffie....as lame as this may sound...what is the difference?

"Yawn and the world yawns with you. Snore and you sleep alone."

Anonymous
RedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:15 PM   #15
Buffie
KittyBuffieKat

Memphis style is smoked without sauce and the sauce itself tends to be, to me, bland.

KC style is smoked with sauce and the sauce is typically sweet and/or spicy hot.

Texas style is done both ways, but they also sometimes boil the meat before smoking it and more often do brisket instead of ribs.

Everyone likes what they like and that's cool... I'm just not keen on Memphis style BBQ.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:19 AM   #16
Ericthonius
Unrepentant

Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffie
Memphis style is smoked without sauce and the sauce itself tends to be, to me, bland.

KC style is smoked with sauce and the sauce is typically sweet and/or spicy hot.

Texas style is done both ways, but they also sometimes boil the meat before smoking it and more often do brisket instead of ribs.
That's one of the best and most concise descriptions of the differences in BBQ's without someone gettin' fancy about it. I wish you worked on that there Foodnetworkchannelthingie, yer' a nacherel,you iz.

(Only thing you left out was Carolina style: Smoked BBQ pig / ribs and their sauce is mustard and/or vinegar based and thin instead of tomato-based and thick.)
Old 03-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #17
Buffie
KittyBuffieKat

~Blush~ What flattering words! Thank you!

If I worked for the Food Network, they'd probably have to change the name to the Taco Channel. Hee hee!!

Carolina style, that's a new one to me. Sounds interesting. I'm thinking I need to head east and try it.

Mmmmm.... meat!

Old 03-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #18
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

okay, after seeing that picture of the desert from claim jumpers, i'm going to go there next month when i'm near one for my weekend getaway with the family. My mom said they had good food when she lived in So. Cal.

Roseville is the nearest one to me and that's 90 miles away.
HottiMegan is offline   Reply With Quote