Welcome to the Dimensions Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
ThatIsThat

ThatIsThat does more than just post hot picsThatIsThat does more than just post hot picsThatIsThat does more than just post hot pics
Default What a strange cartoon...

Thoughts?

ThatIsThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
Rowan
wickedly delicious

Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

obviously just another fat hater. Hopefully in the cartoon one fell on him!

פפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפ

~*~And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
~*~
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
Weirdo890
Master Member

Weirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Not just another fat hater, but another lousy cartoonist. Horribly drawn, and a lousy joke. I'm ashamed of him.

"Conquer all, but one escapes
Govern all, but one dissents
Embark on genocide, and one shall rise to damn you."
- Jack Kirby "Hunger Dogs"

My YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU24ty301nY
Weirdo890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
CausticSodaPop

CausticSodaPop can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Erm, I'm not quite sure what to make of that. Was it just a random thought on the part of the cartoonist, or was it intended to illustrate a point? If the latter, then I think he/she has probably failed.
CausticSodaPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
kayrae
doot doot doot

kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!

I actually think it's funny.
kayrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:39 AM   #6
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

I don't know if it's actually fat hate or not, but I never understand cartoons so I'm the wrong person to ask.

I did notice that many of the rocks and mushrooms are awfully phallic.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:02 AM   #7
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.
FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think it plays on the fear society has of big people: Fear of being seen with one, fear of becoming one.

The fact that there is a sign warning people is what did it for me. The notion that 'fatties' are this dangerous thing that could fall from the sky and destroy civilization mark this as absurdist parody for me. Kind of 'Chicken Little', in its way.

Not absurdist parody at its best, but pretty clever.

The unattractiveness of the falling fatties, as well as the stereotypes attributed to them (the bikini-clad woman with the ice cream and fries, the guy with the sleeveless tee drinking a beer, the bad skin on the kid with the KISS hat) appear to have been included to mock the views of those (like the book-reading character in the comic) who view fat people as a threat.

Think of this situation in real life: A place where fat people are known to be has a warning posted, to protect folks from coming into contact with them. That's not too far removed from reality. Then, because it's a comic, crank up the preposterousness of the idea to show what a ludicrous concept it is in the first place.

One of the things I do like about it is that the falling fatties seem to come from all walks of life (along with the poorly-dressed are at least one man in a suit and another with shirt and tie).

Also, the fact that this walking guy was blissfully in his own little world before encountering this situation, and is so stressed once it starts happening, speaks volumes.

The little guy, to me, represents mainstream media: All wrapped up in himself, unaware of anything that exists outside of his cocoon. Suddenly, fat people become his biggest problem.

Fat people. Not war, the economy, world hunger, poverty, disease, or environmental concerns.

Isn't that what we've seen on the covers of tabloid magazines for decades now?

So, yeah. I think it's parody, mocking the small-mindedness of those whose biggest fear is fat people.
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
Pixelpops
Oh, The Hazards of Love.

Pixelpops has super-sized repPixelpops has super-sized repPixelpops has super-sized rep

Possibly I'm being dim.. I don't get it :s

But I have to disagree with weird890, I think it is quite well drawn..
Pixelpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:17 AM   #9
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.
FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post

blah, blah, blah...
Or, more succinctly, this poor schmuck is just there reading, when he is suddenly quite literally bombarded with the threat of fat people.

"ZOMG FATTIES, AND THEY'RE NEAR ME!!!111!!"
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
disconnectedsmile
RATING: AWESOME

disconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions community

FreeThinker, if i could rep you twice, i would.

so, maybe this cartoon qualifies as art?
it's open to interpretation. it is what you make of it.
some will say it's hateful. some will say it's insightful. some will say it looks wonderfully surreal. some will say it looks poorly drawn.

i think it's a good piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Snackbar View Post
"I'M A ZEBRA, I'M A ZEBRA, FUCK YOU, I'M A ZEBRA!"
disconnectedsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
CausticSodaPop

CausticSodaPop can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Having given it a second glance, I wonder if it's a reference to the "obesity is a greater risk than terrorism" farce...
CausticSodaPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #12
RobitusinZ

RobitusinZ has super-sized repRobitusinZ has super-sized repRobitusinZ has super-sized rep

I dunno...fat people are falling from the sky?

Uh, yeah, we're everywhere...

Eh, a little too obtuse for me.

"Character is higher than intellect... A great soul will be strong to live, as well as to think."
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
"Don't waste yourself in rejection, nor bark against the bad, but chant the beauty of the good."
"Every sweet has its sour; every evil its good."
"Give all to love; obey thy heart."

...and finally...

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
RobitusinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #13
Sugar Magnolia
vmilwa :)

Sugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticedSugar Magnolia never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy girl View Post
I don't know if it's actually fat hate or not, but I never understand cartoons so I'm the wrong person to ask.

I did notice that many of the rocks and mushrooms are awfully phallic.
Whew. I thought I was just being a perv. Thanks, Goofy girl.
I noticed the phallic rocks as well. Especially that last frame with the big hand.

"If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more."
~J. Austen's Emma
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #14
shin_moyseku
Long live to the Fat

shin_moyseku can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

i dont think its fat-hate, its just a cartoon, but i would prefer that the main character dies crushed by a fattie LMAO.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #15
JoeFA
Aspiring young genius....

JoeFA can now change their title

It doesn't make any sense really, he just goes up to a sign labelled 'fatties', and one falls down and almost hits him.

I know it's a cartoon, but come on cartoon artist man!

Though i'd much prefer it if the sign read SSBBW's, though maybe thats just me!
JoeFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:17 AM   #16
AndyAllen

AndyAllen has said some nice things
Thumbs up What a strange cartoon...

Hi

i think it's a good piece its good
AndyAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:10 AM   #17
SparklingBBW
What's new pussycat?

SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Obviously the artist hasn't had any FORMAL cartoon training.

Everybody knows that when fatties fall from the sky, they don't go splat with all that mess. They BOUNCE! Duh!

Gena
Department of Cartoon Physics

SparklingBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:12 AM   #18
Lady at Large

Lady at Large has super-sized repLady at Large has super-sized repLady at Large has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genarose54 View Post
Obviously the artist hasn't had any FORMAL cartoon training.

Everybody knows that when fatties fall from the sky, they don't go splat with all that mess. They BOUNCE! Duh!

Gena
Department of Cartoon Physics

Seriously, some people and their lack of ACME training it bewilders the mind!

Truthfully though sometimes art is like poetry, up for interpretation and we give the artist either too much or too little credit. I was never good at poetry and my art pretty much says what it says..."Fat girls are hot, the end".

"I used to be a tater farmer, but the truth is the taters farmed me!"
Grandpa Simpson
Lady at Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #19
LalaCity
Master Member

LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!

My interpretation of the cartoon --

Life is difficult for thin, hip, smart people. You're just walking along, reading your book, and before you know it some freak weather system has sucked all the fatties out of the trailer park and is raining them down on your head. You'll probably die.

Lesson? Stay away from fat people because, aside from having no reason to exist other than as the butt of mean yet HI-larious jokes and, of course, being the cause of global warming, they will likely crush you.
LalaCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:01 PM   #20
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

What I got?

"If you can catch 'em you can have 'em!"

Have at it!
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:30 PM   #21
Zoom
Rogue

Zoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions communityZoom is a pillar of the Dimensions community

What was that Monty Python moment?

Kid 1: "I'd like to have... I'd like to have Racquel Welch dropped on top of me."

Interviewer: "You'd like to have Racquel Welch... dropped on top of you?"

Kid 1: "Yeah, not climbing."

Kid 2: "She's got a big bottom."
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #22
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Well, the cartoon certainly is provacative. I guess it could be interpreted in any way. My first thought was it was a commentary about Americans specifically because one had on a Kiss hat, another had on a t-shirt that said Jackass, and I almost read it as "readneck." Then there was the guy in the business suit that made me think greedy american capitalist scum...Then the landscape is a desert, which I took to represent american culture as a wasteland. Why the little man is walking thru it, I'm not certain. I'm not sure if the little man is supposed to represent a european or an "atypical" american. Eh.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #23
Fascinita
Jeez, we're blessed!

Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I took a look around the guy's website and I'm still as flummoxed about it as I was ten minutes ago.

I do like the art, though.

Just don't get what he's saying.
Fascinita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #24
Alison

Alison can now change their title

I thought it was a little amusing! Notice once the guy reads the sign he looks around. It's like we are an urban legend, we've heard of the elusive fattie, but haven't been able to catch one on film! Maybe he is making the point that the main stream media can't hide us away forever. I love the KISS hat.
Alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #25
bellyjelly

bellyjelly can now change their title

Free Thinker seems to have the depth and breadth of it.

All I could see was a prophecy; a plague of fatties will destoy your peace of mind and all you have to protect yourself is knowledge (represented by the book).
bellyjelly is offline   Reply With Quote