Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 11-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
iamaJenny

iamaJenny can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesiamaJenny can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Question Favorite/Least Favorite slang word

I have a really silly and utterly random question but I'm going to ask it anyway.
What is your favorite/least favorite slang word? Or what is a phrase that you say a lot or hear other people say that is either really amusing or really annoying?

My least favorite slang word is: bootylicious (and every other ridiculous word that people modify with the icious ending, i.e girlicious, curvalicious ect)
It annoys the crap out of me and I silenty curse Beyonce' everyday for creating it.

My favorite slang word is redonculous(redundant + ridiculous). Technically it is just as bad as bootylicious but it amuses me nonetheless.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
DitzyBrunette
"I'll never be sorry."

DitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I don't know if it's considered slang but I think it is? I hate the word Holla. I despise that word. When I hear a grown man saying the word Holla, my skin crawls. When a grown man tries it on me.. no. Just no. I hate that word. It just sounds so utterly ridiculous.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

A slang word that tickles me is "whateves." Whether it's used as an insult or as a joke it amuses me.

A word that just irks me is when young guys call other guys "son."

I also hate when someone uses the word "like" a little too much. If like you know like, every other word that like comes out of you mouth is like you know like or whatever then it's like just so like irksome and junk. LOL
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
iamaJenny

iamaJenny can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesiamaJenny can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitzyBrunette View Post
I don't know if it's considered slang but I think it is? I hate the word Holla. I despise that word. When I hear a grown man saying the word Holla, my skin crawls. When a grown man tries it on me.. no. Just no. I hate that word. It just sounds so utterly ridiculous.
Yes!! I forgot all about Holla.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
iamaJenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
A slang word that tickles me is "whateves." Whether it's used as an insult or as a joke it amuses me.

A word that just irks me is when young guys call other guys "son."

I also hate when someone uses the word "like" a little too much. If like you know like, every other word that like comes out of you mouth is like you know like or whatever then it's like just so like irksome and junk. LOL
I also hate when strange men that you don't know call you ma. I will be walking down the street and here some guy say something along the lines of
"Let me holla at you ma."

Ma? You are not my offspring. I did not birth you and considering the fact that we are the same age, if I had it would be a medical miracle.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
DitzyBrunette
"I'll never be sorry."

DitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaJenny View Post
I also hate when strange men that you don't know call you ma. I will be walking down the street and here some guy say something along the lines of
"Let me holla at you ma."

Ma? You are not my offspring. I did not birth you and considering the fact that we are the same age, if I had it would be a medical miracle.
LOL! Yes! I hate "Ma"! I either give them a disgusted look or say I have one child and you are not him!

I like you already
Old 11-25-2009, 02:22 AM   #7
littlefairywren
Chi Chi

littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!

A typically Aussie slang word that makes me cringe is "crikey". It grates on my nerves
For anyone who loved Steve Irwin (The Crocodile Hunter), you will know what I mean.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:29 AM   #8
KHayes666
Go away

KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Not exactly a slang word, but I can't stand it when people do that thing with their lips. I see my co-workers do it all the time before saying something I can't repeat here and it drives me nuts for some reason.

Guess my least favorite slang "word" so to speak is Shorty...or "shawty". Is it supposed to imply the girl is short? Unless there's a slang for tall girls like Giant or Tally....doesn't make sense to me, my opinion anyway.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #9
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

In gaming, many people use the word "rape" to indicate a powerful win over an opponent. I absolutely despise this. I find it so incredibly offensive and disgusting and insensitive, I can't even begin to put into words how much I hate it. It repulses me. It makes me think far less of the person using the word. To apply such a horrific and terrifying experience so casually is just absolutely revolting.

My favorite slang term is "true dat". I probably use it too much. But it's so handy!
CrankySpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:34 AM   #10
Mini
Right, not nice

Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The whole of Ebonics can suck my pucker. That shit's grating.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
DitzyBrunette
"I'll never be sorry."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini View Post
The whole of Ebonics can suck my pucker. That shit's grating.
Same here. I didn't want to use that word in case it offended anyone, but good God do I hate Ebonics. That's one of the things that is always on my MySpace or any dating profile I have - do NOT speak to me with Ebonics.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
Captain Save
never had a 40

Location: At the bottom of the coffee cup, with lots of chocolates and pastries.
Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

One day I will learn the origin of the term 'Ebonics.'

My favorite slang term is 'cumstain.' There's a story behind that one, and it's not sex or hygiene related. It actually a little bit amusing, to tell the truth.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

I have mixed feelings about Ebonics. I believe that at one point it was simply called "black english," tho I can't remember where I heard that. On the one hand it's totally ridiculous and just not proper english, and it grates on my nerves to hear it, but when I get pissed or annoyed it comes out to a certain extent. Can't help it. Still, it's just so street.

But on the other hand, as a form of expression it's just as legitimate a vernacular as James Joyce's or even Shakespeare's. Several black writers have written beautiful and well known novels/dialog in black english including June Jordan, Sapphire, Toni Morrison, and James Baldwin (I think, but don't quote me on the last one). In that regard it deserves respect for communicating something about the black experience whether other blacks can relate to it or not....yeah I have a lot of mixed feelings about it.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about Ebonics. I believe that at one point it was simply called "black english," tho I can't remember where I heard that. On the one hand it's totally ridiculous and just not proper english, and it grates on my nerves to hear it, but when I get pissed or annoyed it comes out to a certain extent. Can't help it. Still, it's just so street.

But on the other hand, as a form of expression it's just as legitimate a vernacular as James Joyce's or even Shakespeare's. Several black writers have written beautiful and well known novels/dialog in black english including June Jordan, Sapphire, Toni Morrison, and James Baldwin (I think, but don't quote me on the last one). In that regard it deserves respect for communicating something about the black experience whether other blacks can relate to it or not....yeah I have a lot of mixed feelings about it.
I think the reason it grates on people is because they perceive it as a "poor" use of English. However, if you read studies about it, you'll find that it is a legitimate form of English, with it's own set of rules of grammar/syntax that make complete sense. Sort of like some of the differences between UK English and American English. It's really quite fascinating.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #15
KHayes666
Go away

KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankySpice View Post
I think the reason it grates on people is because they perceive it as a "poor" use of English. However, if you read studies about it, you'll find that it is a legitimate form of English, with it's own set of rules of grammar/syntax that make complete sense. Sort of like some of the differences between UK English and American English. It's really quite fascinating.
I'm really sorry if this offends anyone, I'm only saying it to make a point.

Cranky, while you're right about the differences in UK English and American English with an example being Colour in Britain and Color in America......its not as grating as hearing recording artists come up with brilliant, political messages such as "my niggas pull triggas"

Switching letters around isn't so much language jargon as it is different forms of syntax, however slang words are slang words. Kind of like calling someone a "tosser" in the UK so to speak?
Old 11-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
DitzyBrunette
"I'll never be sorry."

Quote:
In that regard it deserves respect for communicating something about the black experience whether other blacks can relate to it or not....yeah I have a lot of mixed feelings about it.
This is why I didn't use the term myself - but I still can't stand it. On MySpace or FB or whatever, I'm writing that profile or page for myself and it's all mine, but here when we write things it's for the entire community to read and share so I wasn't sure if someone would get offended. So I kept it safe by just choosing the actual words that annoy the crap outta me.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #17
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about Ebonics.
In that regard it deserves respect for communicating something about the black experience whether other blacks can relate to it or not....yeah I have a lot of mixed feelings about it.
I remember Ebonics all too well: it was popularized by a very white educator in New York City at the time I happened to be living there, and it got a lot of press. It was an attempt to render the spoken dialect of African-Americans in the New York City area into a written language which would then be used exclusively in the teaching of African-American children there. The name "Ebonics" came from 'ebony' (= black) and the suffix 'ics', meaning "a suffix that sounds modern and scientific." I always thought it was racist, in that it presupposed two separate but equal (didn't we get past that with Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka?) systems of instruction -- in two different dialects. It seemed to me that the white high school graduates, having learned what is generally called standard American English, would be able to apply for and find jobs pretty much anywhere in America, whereas the black graduates, speaking, reading, and writing only in Ebonics, would be restricted to jobs in ... Harlem. I was aware that opportunities there were limited, and I couldn't help wondering if perhaps that wasn't the the whole reason for Ebonics: to keep black people from competing with white people for jobs? But then, I have a nasty, suspicious mind ...
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #18
Still a Skye fan
Normalcy is overrated

Still a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging in

Let's see, I was an english major in college and I work as a reference librarian...pretty much every other word coming out the mouths of the current crop of teenagers and young 20 somethings who use my library makes me cringe and appreciate my job all the more.

I have too many hated slang words to list.

Dennis

Michelle (Read or Dream)
Still a Skye fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #19
olwen
Disco Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHayes666 View Post

Cranky, while you're right about the differences in UK English and American English with an example being Colour in Britain and Color in America......its not as grating as hearing recording artists come up with brilliant, political messages such as "my niggas pull triggas"

Switching letters around isn't so much language jargon as it is different forms of syntax, however slang words are slang words. Kind of like calling someone a "tosser" in the UK so to speak?
Slang is slang, but whether we like the words or not that is how the english language evolves. There is also a subtle underlining political difference between ebonics and say rhyming slang. There are several dictionaries devoted to rhyming slang and in a way putting it to book form in this way legitimizes it. There probably is a dictionary of urban slang somewhere, but a dictionary specifically of ebonics? I couldn't say. Black folks can't even agree about its legitimacy tho so for the time being it will remain a point of controversy. I admit too some words I like but most I don't. Nahmean?
Old 11-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #20
olwen
Disco Bear

Quote:
This is why I didn't use the term myself - but I still can't stand it. On MySpace or FB or whatever, I'm writing that profile or page for myself and it's all mine, but here when we write things it's for the entire community to read and share so I wasn't sure if someone would get offended. So I kept it safe by just choosing the actual words that annoy the crap outta me.
I fell you, ma. LOL In all seriousness, I know exactly what you mean. It's confusing sometimes which is why I have mixed feelings about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
I remember Ebonics all too well: it was popularized by a very white educator in New York City at the time I happened to be living there, and it got a lot of press. It was an attempt to render the spoken dialect of African-Americans in the New York City area into a written language which would then be used exclusively in the teaching of African-American children there. The name "Ebonics" came from 'ebony' (= black) and the suffix 'ics', meaning "a suffix that sounds modern and scientific." I always thought it was racist, in that it presupposed two separate but equal (didn't we get past that with Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka?) systems of instruction -- in two different dialects. It seemed to me that the white high school graduates, having learned what is generally called standard American English, would be able to apply for and find jobs pretty much anywhere in America, whereas the black graduates, speaking, reading, and writing only in Ebonics, would be restricted to jobs in ... Harlem. I was aware that opportunities there were limited, and I couldn't help wondering if perhaps that wasn't the the whole reason for Ebonics: to keep black people from competing with white people for jobs? But then, I have a nasty, suspicious mind ...
That is indeed part of the reason why it became such a contentious issue. I can speak from my own personal experience of going into job interviews or starting new jobs and hearing the person interviewing me - usually white say "Oh you speak so well." I've heard that phrase more times than I'd like. As it is my niece likes to use this slang and we've all made it a point of explaining to her that she can talk like that at home and with her friends but if she wants to get a job she needs to speak proper english so she'll be taken seriously. That's just a reality black folks have to deal with.

All the same tho, when poets elevate the language to a level of art it still manages to communicate something rather clearly. I'm not that fond of poetry but I respect what some people can do with such words.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #21
Mini
Right, not nice

Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Legitimate language or not, it makes the user sound ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned it's on a par with Klingon.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #22
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

My favorite slang word is dude. I use it all the time. I am a 46 yr old woman and I will say it to whomever, whenever.

I can start a sentence with it, "Hey dude, what time do you think you will be here tomorrow?". I can use it as a means to let someone know that what they have said is stupid - "dude". I can just make a statement that tells them how I feel "dude, seriously?!?"

Or it can be used to refer to a man, as in "did you see that dude?" And my husband knows I am gonna give him crap about whatever he has just said when my response to him is "dude, dude, come on, dude."

I love the word dude.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #23
olwen
Disco Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A_Bunny View Post
My favorite slang word is dude. I use it all the time. I am a 46 yr old woman and I will say it to whomever, whenever.

I can start a sentence with it, "Hey dude, what time do you think you will be here tomorrow?". I can use it as a means to let someone know that what they have said is stupid - "dude". I can just make a statement that tells them how I feel "dude, seriously?!?"

Or it can be used to refer to a man, as in "did you see that dude?" And my husband knows I am gonna give him crap about whatever he has just said when my response to him is "dude, dude, come on, dude."

I love the word dude.
LOL, dude is a good word too.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #24
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHayes666 View Post

What you are referring to, though, is slang - not language structure. Ebonics (since we are calling it that) has specific rules, just as Standard English does, regarding grammar, syntax, etc. For example, "Don't be hatin'" vs. "Don't hate me". In the rules of ebonics, you can't say "Be don't hatin'" just as in Standard English we wouldn't say "Hate me Don't".

I think the whole "let's teach the kids in Ebonics" was nothing more than a publicity gag - it wasn't a serious attempt. However, Ebonics as a language in and of itself is really fascinating to look at - it's legimate, and it was formed just as many other languages were formed. Including standard english, which "stole" words and structures from the various cultures surrounding the region in which it came into common use.

I think the closest parallel we can draw is Cajun, which borrows heavily from french and english but is in and of itself it's own language.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #25
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

The more ridiculous a word...the more I love it. I think the way and context of which a word is said adds to the ambiance for me, too.......

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote