Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 12-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #576
Pattie Vincent

Pattie Vincent can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina View Post
Thank you very much, biodieselman!

I made this thread sticky, because whether one agrees whether there is such a thing as global warming or not, it cannot hurt to do what we can to be good to our wonderful planet.

I request that only helpful, not argumentative, posts be posted, or they will be removed, as this is meant to be an informational thread. Thanks!

- Tina
Hi Tina,

Hope you don't mind. I found this nice article - and I think that it is a good source of information too.

Some things we just take for granted. In most stores now they ask you if you want your receipt printed or emailed to you. I usually just say printed out of habit because I double check my receipts now and then with my credit card statements or just to be sure I have them when I need to return something. Who would have known that if I ask the cashier to just email it to me, I would be helping to save the environment!
Pattie Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #577
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I occasionally have receipts e-mailed - but I often find that the store then starts sending me unsolicited email offers, which I have to cancel.

Paper receipts, on the other hand, can be recycled.

But the other ideas are good.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:49 AM   #578
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

We got a "smart" thermostat over the summer. We'd called our electricity provider to ask about money saving options and they offered us a free Nest brand thermostat as part of a trial program in our area.

It's really neat, and has saved us money and cut our power usage. I like that a little green leaf shows up on the display panel or app when you're in power saving mode. I find myself dealing just fine with it being a little warmer or cooler in order to see that leaf.

And every month, we get a usage report that also ranks us in the percentage of electricity consumers in our area, and gives suggestions based on our data to conserve even more electricity by altering the programming settings.

We like it so much, that if we can't take it with us when we move, we'll willingly pay full retail price for another one.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #579
Maddog

Maddog has said some nice things

Interesting to see how much has changed within 10 years. Biodiesel is dead, at least for cars (might be interesting for planes). I'm a huge fan of electric cars, and hope that we will see a breakthrough within the next 5 years, with all the new models in the pipeline.
Maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:18 PM   #580
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
Interesting to see how much has changed within 10 years. Biodiesel is dead, at least for cars (might be interesting for planes). I'm a huge fan of electric cars, and hope that we will see a breakthrough within the next 5 years, with all the new models in the pipeline.
Indeed. I already know people who have a Nissan Leaf as their sole family car, using the savings in fuel to pay for the odd rental, or belonging to a car-sharing company for those longer journeys or where they need a larger vehicle (zipcars.com, vrtucar.ca, communauto.com). The longer range of the Chevy Bolt, the new Leaf, the new e-Golf, let alone the Tesla 3, will make this more and more practical and desireable.

Did you know that, in Germany, Tesla's Model S outsells Mercedes-Benz and BMW's luxury electric sedans by a 3-1 ratio?