Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 04-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default R.I.P. Merle Haggard

Merle Haggard died of pneumonia today, on his 79th birthday, in California.

He is missed.
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

What did Merle sing?

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:21 PM   #3
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

You may remember Workin' Man's Blues, Ramblin' Fever, the theme to the television show Movin' On, Okie From Muskogee, The Fightin' Side Of Me, That's The Way Love Goes, Leonard, Kern River, Red Bandana, Mama Tried, Let's Chase Each Other 'Round The Room Tonight, My Favorite Memory, Daddy Frank, and You Take Me For Granted, just off the top of my head.

'The Hag' wrote a lot of his own material, but did some great covers, as well. The duet he and George Jones did of Willie Nelson's song Yesterday's Wine is probably the definitive version, and his duet with Willie on the Townes Van Zandt song Pancho And Lefty was a fine recording as well.

Reportedly, he was doing time for attempted robbery when he saw Johnny Cash perform in prison, sparking his own musical ambition.

A self-taught guitar and fiddle player, his singing style echoed that of Lefty Frizzell, but to reduce him to the role of imitator would be a great disservice.

He was a proponent of the 'Bakersfield Sound' that came out of California (as a contrast to the lush arrangements and slick production typified by the 'Nashville Sound'), and much of his work through the eighties and nineties incorporated some very jazzy sensibilities.

Country Music Royalty.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #4
Still a Skye fan
Normalcy is overrated

Still a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging in

So sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences to his family and friends.

Michelle (Read or Dream)
Still a Skye fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #5
socrates74

socrates74 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokessocrates74 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I think future generations won't have anyone similar. Pop country is the current coin-of-the-realm. "Video killed the radio star". It was only a matter of time before its tentacles strangled country-and-western.
socrates74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:34 AM   #6
FreeThinker

There's still a vibrant alt-country scene. Don't despair.

We'll have to know where to look, but country that sounds country will still be around, somewhere.

Personally, I've been writing stuff that sets country music back 50 years, and I'm not the only one.

No, there will never be another Merle Haggard. Nor should there be. But the genre lives.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics
Default Country music lives

Listen to Chris Stapleton sing "Nobody to Blame" and you will hear the influences of Hags, Waylon, Travis Tritt, Bocephus... Country music is always out there and not just the music of decades past. We may be in an era that features Country Pop, but it previously featured the Countrypolitain sound, balladeers, Southern Rock - but it always goes back to its roots. Honky Tonk never dies. If you like than support it when it comes around.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:47 AM   #8
Angel
no apologies for being me

Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Listen for Merle:

Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:58 AM   #9
Angel
no apologies for being me

Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post
'The Hag' wrote a lot of his own material,

A self-taught guitar and fiddle player,

Country Music Royalty.
from Austin City Limits in 1978

Angel is offline   Reply With Quote