Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 05-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Favorite games/toys growing up.

I was in another thread where things turned into the new card games of Pokemon and cartoons, I wanted to start a thread of your favorite game or toy(s) growing up.

I hope this is the right forum for this, and I hope their isn't another thread like this. If there is, moderators please feel free to delete this one.
That being said...here goes..

I'll go first, my favorite games/toys growing up were trouble (there was something about the sound of that bubble popping when you pressed it down), hopscotch and play-doh.
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post
I'll go first, my favorite games/toys growing up were trouble (there was something about the sound of that bubble popping when you pressed it down), hopscotch and play-doh.
Play-doh not so much, but there was this stuff called Slime, which was kind of stretchy and snotty. Perhaps more geared toward boys. Yeah, perhaps.

I also had some stuff I got from a vending machine that was like Slime, but it glowed in the dark. Ever keen!

I used to like lawn darts, but that was apparently wrong.

Toy cars were my thing. Hot Wheels, Ertl, Matchbox, Majorette, and some Siku (from Europe). I ended up paining many of them. Often they'd just get orange marker lights and red taillights, but sometimes I'd get more elaborate (pulling the exposed motor out of a Mustang, filling the hole with Liquid Metal, and painting it black and gold to create a Shelby GT350H comes to mind, as well as mixing red, yellow, and black [because I didn't even have orange at the time] to create just the right shade of brown to serve as woodgrain panelling on the side of of Matchbox's Mercury station wagon).

Assembling model cars was also something I did quite a bit. And I only blew one of them up with a firecracker!

Monopoly was a game I played a lot, particularly with the chubby girl down the street. Come to think of it, I don't really enjoy Monopoly that much anymore.

I had a bunch of Big Jim toys. Something about role-playing, I guess. Nowadays I'm playing Grand Theft Auto, but I think it's because I always enjoyed assuming the identity of someone else, particularly if that character is competent and successful. I imagine many who play with "action figures" have some of this going on.

As far as games that required no purchase of board or cards, we played Hide-and-seek quite a bit, along with a variation of it on bicycles. In this version, played in the wooded trails of a nearby park, the Hiders would get a 1-minute lead before being searched down by whoever was 'it'. Hiders could stay in their first hiding spot for up to 5 minutes, but after that, could only remain stationary for as long as one minute. They could also remain in motion. If 'it' came within about 20 feet (very flexible and open to much interpretation or debate) of a Hider, then that person would be 'it' next time. If 'it' didn't find anyone within 15 minutes, all players would reassemble at the start point, and 'it' would be 'it' once more.

This game involved a lot more careening through the woods at ridiculous speeds, both on and off of dirt trails, than it really needed to. But then, maybe it did need to.

When we were quite young, my brother and I used to 'animate' our stuffed toys, either doing dialogue with or between them, or having them 'perform' songs while a record played (of course, I mean an LP or a 45).

And, of course, a great big cardboard box always unlocked limitless possibilities.
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
Still a Skye fan
Normalcy is overrated

Still a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging in

My favorite toys while growing up? Hmmm...

Well, we're talking early-mid 70s here. I remember playing with my older brother's GI Joes...back when they were 12" tall!

I had various Mego action figures. I still have my Star Trek figures and playset.

I had a big box of legos which came in a BROWN box...that's it. This was years before the many play sets came out and I had a ball with those things. I still remember building an Apollo Moon Lander.

I built various aurora universal movie monster kits...still have those!

I had various hot wheels.

I had a Stretch Armstrong until I decided to see what made him stretch...then he was the late Stretch Armstrong.

Unlike today, when kids seem to be glued to cell phones or video games, I used my imagination and had lots of fun. Oh yes...

Dennis

Michelle (Read or Dream)
Still a Skye fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

my brother and i killed a stretch armstrong too! we wanted to see how far he really stretched and played tug of war with him. if i had only known then how much he is worth now...lol. but seeing the goo inside was sorta worth it

some of my other favorite toys...

-my grandmother had an all metal bodied play RV that was about the size of a breadbox. the lid folded up and you could have your dolls live in the rv. we of course used it as our own personal go cart and rode it down the hill near my grandmother's house by sitting on top of it. if you stopped before getting hit by a car you win..hahaha. no, really she lived on a side street and one of us kept watch...

-i used to love to play scrabble with my mom...and still do. she is the only person that will play with me because i like to play without keeping score and just try to make big words to fill up the board.

-my other grandma used to play po-ke-no with us. it is like bingo that you played with cards. that is how i won my favorite stuffed animal growing up...she would give the winner a prize and the loser a clothes pin...

aww..sweet memories....
luvmybhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

lol... my brother had an inflatable hulk and a "stretch" hulk. That hulk went through changes. My sister, the nurse, used that stretch hulk when she was learning how to insert needles....lol.. poor toy.

I used to play pokeno too.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
Highsteppa
Kneel before Zod

Highsteppa has super-sized repHighsteppa has super-sized repHighsteppa has super-sized repHighsteppa has super-sized rep

One of my favorite toys as a kid.
Highsteppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #7
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

All right, my first post in the 40's forum!! When do I get my membership card?

This was our favourite game growing up, but like all games my siblings and I had it usually only got used a couple of times before we inevitably lost important pieces of the game...

Mr. Mouth

Of course we had lawn darts too, good wholesome fun!
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
Saisha
Delphinum natare doces

Saisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions community

One of my favorite games in growing up was Mousetrap - also liked Clue too! I also used to have the coolest battery operated robot - it was black, had a square head to it and it would move forward 3 times, stop, the head would split open and a Gozilla-like head would roar! It had a red light-bulb in it's mouth that would turn on when it roared. Don't know whatever happened to that thing but I still remember it was a lot of fun
Saisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

does anyone remember these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg atari (1).jpg (14.6 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg ColecoVision.jpg (54.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg speak and spell.jpg (15.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg spirolgraph.jpg (11.1 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg viewmaster.jpg (7.6 KB, 111 views)
Old 06-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #10
Still a Skye fan
Normalcy is overrated

Still a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging in

Yup! I had a spirograph and a viewmaster.

Mom always said no to a home video game system so I just played them at friends' houses or fed quarters to the arcade machines. Mom always wanted me and the sibs to do crazy things like play outside and get exercise. Weird

I was an early reader so I never needed a speak and spell...heck, I never bother with spell check on my computer today as it never needs to correct anything.

Dennis

Michelle (Read or Dream)
Old 06-22-2014, 05:30 AM   #11
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

Yeah.. I think we had better imaginations when younger because we didn't have a choice. We needed to make up games so as not to be bored. Video games were not something everyone had. I loved playing outside! Getting out to the park, playing hand ball, on the jungle gyms, going down that metal slide in the summer that burned your ass in the summer. All of that stuff was better than sitting in and playing video games. Not that those are not fun. God knows I clocked a lot of hours playing Chronotrigger, Tekken, Street Fighter, Pac-Man etc..
Old 07-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #12
Still a Skye fan
Normalcy is overrated

Oh, I probably fed enough quarters into arcade machines to pay for several machines.

However, I also preferred being outside more...my elementary school had one of those fantastic huge metal slides - loved that thing!

Michelle (Read or Dream)
Old 07-02-2014, 05:18 AM   #13
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

Default A few more board games...

A few more board games that I loved....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parchesi.jpg (14.1 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg perfection.jpg (20.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg trouble.jpg (121.3 KB, 89 views)
Old 07-02-2014, 05:19 AM   #14
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

Default Crayons!!!!!!!!!!

and my favorite of all.. (even now... I still love crayons!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crayola.jpg (12.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #15
Saisha
Delphinum natare doces

Saisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Have to totally agree with you

Child of the ocean.
Saisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:20 AM   #16
KHayes666
Go away

KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
does anyone remember these?
I still have a ColecoVision in my closet.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #17
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHayes666 View Post
I still have a ColecoVision in my closet.
Get out! really! That is awesome! Does it still work?
Old 07-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #18
Still a Skye fan
Normalcy is overrated

Quote:
Heck...who DOESN'T love crayons? "Perfection" brings back lots of memories too.

Dennis

Michelle (Read or Dream)
Old 09-01-2014, 03:05 AM   #19
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

i was watching something on youtube the other day and saw a video that had pong in it. gave me some serious flashbacks. i remember when we thought atari was amazing!
luvmybhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:07 AM   #20
balletguy

balletguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging in

Wow Pong.....that was awesome, that's still kind of my speed
balletguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #21
KHayes666
Go away

KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Get out! really! That is awesome! Does it still work?
It did the last time I used it in 2010
Old 09-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #22
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Who can remember their favorite game of Yard Darts?

Oh dear, I think we killed Uncle Jim!
Old 09-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #23
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Who can remember their favorite game of Yard Darts?

Oh dear, I think we killed Uncle Jim!
LOL! Happy Birthday Fuzzy.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #24
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Every now and then I remember the commercial jingle for that game Perfection.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #25
KHayes666
Go away

When it comes to game commercials....everyone from my generation knows this one: