Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 10-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
wrenchboy

wrenchboy is a member of the 500 clubwrenchboy is a member of the 500 clubwrenchboy is a member of the 500 clubwrenchboy is a member of the 500 clubwrenchboy is a member of the 500 clubwrenchboy is a member of the 500 club
Default funny named towns

I am an over the road truck driver and I find it absolutely facinating all the different names all over the United States. Since we are from all over the the world we can have posts from all corners of the planet. Post names of funny or unusual names of cities, rivers, parks whatever. I will start with some of my favorite.
Hollering Woman creek in Texas
Big Bone Lick park Kentucky
Hungry Mother park Virginia
Wimauma Florida named by a railroad developer for his 3 daughters Wilma Maude and Mary
Squirrel Level road Virginia. I can imagine it now...Hey Bubba..did you level that trailer when you put it in? Scratchin his head, Cletus replies... Well...it's squirrel level.,,,
wrenchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

I've been in Intercourse and Blue Ball, Pennsylvania. Then there's Mars, PA.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
Saoirse

Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!

The town next to mine is Cummington.

Which is not too weird, but someone discovered a mineral in Cummington and that mineral is called Cummingtonite

eeeehehehehehehehe
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
Ohio Lady

Ohio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging in

The place I live is called Beaver
Ohio Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
Pokerking2010

Pokerking2010 is a member of the 500 clubPokerking2010 is a member of the 500 clubPokerking2010 is a member of the 500 clubPokerking2010 is a member of the 500 clubPokerking2010 is a member of the 500 clubPokerking2010 is a member of the 500 club

There's a Jupiter near me.
Pokerking2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
Ohio Lady

Ohio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging inOhio Lady makes people happy simply by logging in

There is also a place near me called Knockemstiff, Ohio
Ohio Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #7
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Not all that funny of a name, but this amused me.

There is a speck of a town we drive through periodically called Numogate. My wife and I would continually discuss how the name should be pronounced, and concluded it really depended on what language it came from. (the obvious English pronunciation would be NEW-moe-gate, but it didn’t exactly look English in derivation, and there are languages where it would be something like nuh-MOH-gat-TAY). Which led us to speculate where the name could have come from—named after some obscure place in England, some lesser known figure from ancient greek history, an English spelling of some name in India….

Eventually we had to look it up. It turned out that during the settlement of Montague Township, of which it is part, the original village was, creatively, called Montague. When there was enough settlement to set up a second post office, the new post master had to come up with a name for the place….and he just rearranged the letters of Montague to get Numogate.

In other words, we over-thought that one by a wee bit
Old 10-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #8
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oklahoma can claim Frogville, Cookietown, Slapout, and Bugtussle.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Weed, California.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
bbwbud

bbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
The town next to mine is Cummington.

Which is not too weird, but someone discovered a mineral in Cummington and that mineral is called Cummingtonite

eeeehehehehehehehe
So you live in Goshen, or Williamsburg? I used to go to the Cummington Fair when I lived in Western Mass. Very pretty area, with a popular nude bathing spot as I recall.

As for towns, I want to move to Big Knockerstown in England, or Nipple, Utah.
bbwbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Not all that funny of a name, but this amused me.

There is a speck of a town we drive through periodically called Numogate. My wife and I would continually discuss how the name should be pronounced, and concluded it really depended on what language it came from. (the obvious English pronunciation would be NEW-moe-gate, but it didn’t exactly look English in derivation, and there are languages where it would be something like nuh-MOH-gat-TAY). Which led us to speculate where the name could have come from—named after some obscure place in England, some lesser known figure from ancient greek history, an English spelling of some name in India….

Eventually we had to look it up. It turned out that during the settlement of Montague Township, of which it is part, the original village was, creatively, called Montague. When there was enough settlement to set up a second post office, the new post master had to come up with a name for the place….and he just rearranged the letters of Montague to get Numogate.

In other words, we over-thought that one by a wee bit
The best part is you don't have to slow down when driving through Numogate, it's like they're saying "don't bother, nothing to see here..." (They'd be right too...)
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #12
wrenchboy

wrenchboy is a member of the 500 clubwrenchboy is a member of the 500 clubwrenchboy is a member of the 500 clubwrenchboy is a member of the 500 clubwrenchboy is a member of the 500 clubwrenchboy is a member of the 500 club

Most people are familiar with the town that the Kennedys made famous. Kennebunkport Maine. Did you know that it is right next to Kennybunk Maine?
Old 10-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #13
Saisha
Delphinum natare doces

Saisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Raccoon Holler Road in NC.

Child of the ocean.
Saisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:49 PM   #14
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh, if we're talking streets...

Moose Creek*, Alaska, has the following:
Da Niece St.
Da Nephew St.
Go Thatta Way

I've driven on all of them.

*Which is, not surprisingly, is named after Moose Creek (a tributary of the Tanana River) which winds around and through the town of 746 people. You can probably guess where the waterway got its name.
It's about 25 miles east-southeast of Fairbanks, AK.
CleverBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #15
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Cut-n-Shoot, Tx.
LeoGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #16
spookytwigg
Have an A-1 day

spookytwigg makes people happy simply by logging inspookytwigg makes people happy simply by logging inspookytwigg makes people happy simply by logging inspookytwigg makes people happy simply by logging inspookytwigg makes people happy simply by logging inspookytwigg makes people happy simply by logging inspookytwigg makes people happy simply by logging inspookytwigg makes people happy simply by logging inspookytwigg makes people happy simply by logging inspookytwigg makes people happy simply by logging in

I know that somewhere in the UK we have a Penistone and a Wetwang

Also not too far from where I am is Ramsbottom.
spookytwigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #17
Saoirse

Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwbud View Post
So you live in Goshen, or Williamsburg? I used to go to the Cummington Fair when I lived in Western Mass. Very pretty area, with a popular nude bathing spot as I recall.

As for towns, I want to move to Big Knockerstown in England, or Nipple, Utah.
Neither Goshen or Williamsburg, but if you travel Rt. 9, thru Williamsburg, Goshen and Cummington, mine is the next town!

I LOVE THE CUMMINGTON FAIR!!!!!! I missed it this year, but I usually go every year. Its such an awesome fair!! And I have never been to the infamous nude bathing spot, since Ive always heard stories of gay butt sex in the woods.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #18
bbwbud

bbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
Neither Goshen or Williamsburg, but if you travel Rt. 9, thru Williamsburg, Goshen and Cummington, mine is the next town!

I LOVE THE CUMMINGTON FAIR!!!!!! I missed it this year, but I usually go every year. Its such an awesome fair!! And I have never been to the infamous nude bathing spot, since Ive always heard stories of gay butt sex in the woods.
Chesterfield?? I've heard of the sex going on at the nude beach, and I've never been there, either...Now if it was a place to have al fresco nookie with BBW, you may find me there...
bbwbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #19
Saoirse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwbud View Post
Chesterfield?? I've heard of the sex going on at the nude beach, and I've never been there, either...Now if it was a place to have al fresco nookie with BBW, you may find me there...
not Chesterfield. lol Chesterfield isnt on Rt. 9

Last edited by Saoirse; 10-08-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #20
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Old 10-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #21
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

Another two I've passed through in Texas are Uncertain and Point Blank.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #22
moore2me
Lions don't need to spank

moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Arkansas' Contribution

We have some famous Arkansas towns and locations. I guess the most popular is Toad Suck. This has spawned Toad Suck Park, Toad Suck Festival, Miss Toad Suck, and all kinds of wearable art.

2nd runners up are Possum* Trot and Possum* Grape.

*(For ya'll not familiar with possums, the official name of such as beast is opossum.)

We also have some towns that have a name on the highway and there is no town there. The residents have all moved on or passed away. No one came to take their places.
moore2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #23
wrenchboy

I have a friend that is named Possum. People that don't know him call him Tommy.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #24
wrenchboy

I went through Oklahoma today. It was ok.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #25
Saisha
Delphinum natare doces

Saisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions community

There's also Idiotville, OR

Child of the ocean.
Saisha is offline   Reply With Quote