Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 06-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Favorite Sayings, Phrases and Quotes

Ok, I didn't see a thread about this, so I figured what the heck..

I know we have all heard some good sayings, phrases and quotes. I thought it would be great to share them.

Most of my favorite sayings are in Spanish. Below is my top favorite quote:

Eres un cero a la izquierda.

-Literal translation- You are a zero to the left-

-meaning, you are about as useful as a zero to the left of the decimal.. (which is pretty useless..lol)

ie: 0.00

What are some of your favorite sayings, phrases and quotes?
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post

Eres un cero a la izquierda.

-Literal translation- You are a zero to the left-

-meaning, you are about as useful as a zero to the left of the decimal..
That is deliciously nerdy sounding!

I've come to really like a phrase that I picked up from a co-worker, which describes goings-on at my company far too often but also applies to a lot of other situations: "Going to fast to stop for gas." Hopefully it is self-explanatory
Old 06-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

"Join me or die! Can you do any less!?!?" -Mr. Sparkle

Yes it's a Simpsons quote, and I really should grow up, but this actually has made it into many casual conversations I've had over the years. (Including one time my buddy was unsure of going to Taco Bell with me...)
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Below are a few that have stuck with me over the decades. Some of these I use regularly:

"So sick it took four doctors to get me healthy enough to die."

"Finer than frog's hair split three ways and sandpapered down right fine."

"Slicker than snot on a marble."

All of the above courtesy of my girlfriend's dad in Alabama.

------

"Holy jumping mother of God in a sidecar with chocolate jimmies and a lobster bib!"

Max: "Lest we be trod upon!"
Sam: "I hate it when you say 'lest we be trod upon'."

"Cheeze Wizzorama, Sam! That was neat!"

"Ooh! Lookie, Max. I mean Sam."

Sam and Max comic book.

------

"Scallops are just mashed potatoes made of fish."

The ever-so-quotable Jes, who used to post here.

-----

"You Goddamn kids get off my Goddamn property or I'll Goddamn yer Goddammers, Goddammit!"

A neighbour lady when I was growing up, addressing two boys with a slingshot.

------

"Primo bitchin', Tom!"

Coached audience response to an hypnotist who did a show at my high school.

------

"Sometimes you write about your own experiences, sometimes you write about other people's experiences, and sometimes you just make s**t up 'cause life don't rhyme."

Steve Earle.

------

You know, having a good memory isn't all it's cracked up to be.
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #5
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Heh, of one colorful poster in particular....

Even if I'm not saying it quite right, I like think-to myself, "If she isn't nuttier than acre full of snakes...
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #6
LeoGibson

LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!

A few of my favorites.

Otter: Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon: I thought you were pre-med.
Otter: What's the difference? Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief.

D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it. He's rolling.

---------

I was puckered up so tight you couldn't have gotten a greased BB up my ass.

Busier than a one legged man in an ass kickin' contest

Does the Pope shit in the woods?

That makes my ass want to sop syrup

I'm so confused I don't know which way to point my pecker

I don't know whether to shit or go blind
LeoGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post

Busier than a one legged man in an ass kickin' contest
*Snipped*

I love this!
Old 06-06-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

Default My favorite line From Harry Potter

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”

― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Sirius Black)

I this was my favorite line from the books and movies....
Old 06-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #9
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default "First, do no harm."

This expression is usually thought of as a part of the Hippocratic Oath.

From Wiki "Primum non nocere is a Latin phrase that means "first, do no harm." The phrase is sometimes recorded as primum nil nocere.
[1]"

While associated with physicians and others in the medical community, I feel that it should be administered to every student and new grad as they prepare to enter the world at large. Most would ignore it, especially those with careers in politics, banking, or Wall Street, but perhaps it might stick with sufficient people to reach a critical mass - some day.

Would that I see such a day!

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

When I see a quote I like, I stick it into my personal document of quotes. I don't always know the names of the person that the quote is from, or the context, but if I like the sound of, I grab it.

I won't drop the whole list on you, but here are a couple:

"Stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone ought to be." --Elizabeth Gilbert

"Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory." -- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 06-10-2015, 05:50 AM   #11
sharms86.sh
Princ3ss86

sharms86.sh has said some nice things

"Non sum qualis eram" latin meaning "I am not as I was once." Horace

My personal favorite 'It's not Rocket Surgery'

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
sharms86.sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:25 AM   #12
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Most of my favorite sayings are literary:

from P.G. Wodehouse: "If people were dominoes, he would have been the double blank."

from Terry Pratchett: "If you build a man a fire, he will stay warm for one night. If you set a man on fire, he will stay warm for the rest of his life."

from Kathryn Jensen White (speaking of a BBW): "If her daddy told her to haul ass, she'd have to make two trips."
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:28 AM   #13
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharms86.sh View Post
"Non sum qualis eram" latin meaning "I am not as I was once." Horace
In my old age, I frequently employ this quote. I don't know where it came from. I may have invented it myself. I forget.

"I'm not the man I used to be - but then, I never was."

Old 06-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #14
Ho Ho Tai

I had occasion to share this quote with a pianist lately - a man who plays dynamite Rachmaninoff,

"Whether the angels play only Bach praising God, I am not quite sure. I am sure, however, that en famille they play Mozart." Karl Barth

adding that when the imps entertain the devil, they play either Tartini or Rachmaninoff.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #15
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post

"Going too fast to stop for gas."
I'm going to start using that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post

from Terry Pratchett: "If you build a man a fire, he will stay warm for one night. If you set a man on fire, he will stay warm for the rest of his life."
Wow! I've been misquoting that for years without even knowing its origin! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharms86.sh View Post

My personal favorite 'It's not Rocket Surgery'
Reminds me of how a former boss of mine would say, "a dozen of one, a half-dozen of the other."

Not really a detail guy, that one.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:32 PM   #16
FlashHeart
Joor Zah Frul

FlashHeart can now change their title

I've been watching supernatural again and love Bobby's saying when ever anything goes awry....."BALLS!!!". I was going to say its been running off on me but.......lol
FlashHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:17 AM   #17
FreeThinker

I realized that I quote Homestar Runner a fair bit:

* Combolations, Elizagerth!

* Good jaerb!

*You've got to say it with a flourish.

*(singing) Traipsing along, traipsing, traipsing along, when an e-mail got stuck in my eye.

*You was tryin' to jank me!

Then there's this one from Kentucky Fried Movie:

*We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude.

(I often paraphrase this to fit a given situation, but I keep the "extraordinary magnitude" part )
Old 07-08-2015, 04:45 AM   #18
firefly

firefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this board

To quit is not a valid option.

This did help me a lot in the past years.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:41 AM   #19
FreeThinker

This one is from an ex of mine. I rarely use it, but I can't forget it:

"Well. Doesn't that just suck big hairy moose c**k."

(It kind of provides its own visual)
Old 07-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #20
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut

Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round saying I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away. -Dennis speaking to King Arthur
Old 07-14-2015, 04:06 PM   #21
WTF

WTF can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesWTF can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

This is kind of a weird one but a phrase I like is "clear leather". Its a firearms reference meaning to completely unholster a gun. I heard it in the song Big Iron by Marty Robbins and just thought it was kinda sexy. I dont know of any other meanings, so I dont get to use it often.
WTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:49 PM   #22
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

"We deal in lead" Steve McQueen
Old 07-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #23
FreeThinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesterny View Post
"We deal in lead" Steve McQueen
"Time starts now." -- Steve McQueen
Old 07-19-2015, 06:38 AM   #24
biggirlsrock
Cunning Linguist

biggirlsrock carries a lot of weight on this boardbiggirlsrock carries a lot of weight on this boardbiggirlsrock carries a lot of weight on this boardbiggirlsrock carries a lot of weight on this boardbiggirlsrock carries a lot of weight on this boardbiggirlsrock carries a lot of weight on this board

2 of my favorites are from Foghorn Leghorn...

I'm busier than a centipede in a toe tappin' contest.

and

It's hotter than a sweatband in a fireman's helmet.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #25
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

Default How to explain catch 22 to a child..

ok..not so much as a catch 22, but you get the idea...

"If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk.

It is from a story that reads...

"If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he'll probably ask you for a straw. When he's finished, he'll ask you for a napkin. Then he'll want to look in a mirror to make sure he doesn't have a milk mustache. When he looks in the mirror, he might notice his hair needs a trim. So he'll probably ask for a pair of nail scissors. When he's finished giving himself a trim, he'll want a broom to sweep it up. He'll start sweeping. He might get carried away and sweep every room in the house. He may even end up washing the floors as well! When he's done, he'll probably want to take a nap. You'll have to fix up a little box for him with a blanket and a pillow. He'll crawl in, make himself comfortable and fluff the pillow a few times. He'll probably ask you to read him a story. So you'll read to him from one of your books, and he'll ask to see the pictures. When he looks at the pictures, he'll get so excited he'll want to draw one of his own. He'll ask for paper and crayons. He'll draw a picture. When the picture is finished, he'll want to sign his name with a pen. Then he'll want to hang his picture on your refrigerator. Which means he'll need Scotch tape. He'll hang up his drawing and stand back to look at it. Looking at the refrigerator will remind him that he's thirsty. So... he'll ask for a glass of milk. And chances are if he asks you for a glass of milk, he's going to want a cookie to go with it."

Author Laura Numeroff

Tags
quotes, sayings