Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 07-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #26
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #27
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Another spanish one...

"Tanto cae gotas de agua en el cantero hast que se rompe"

loosely translated- only so many drops of water can fall/drop on a stone (cantero is actually stonemason I think) until it breaks

Also

"Ms sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo."
translation- the devil knows more from age than from being the devil...

Spanish people have a saying for everything..lol
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:11 PM   #28
Forgotten_Futures
The *other* Holy Trinity

Forgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging in

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will build a better idiot."
Old 07-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #29
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post
ok..not so much as a catch 22, but you get the idea...

"If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk.

It is from a story that reads...

"If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he'll probably ask you for a straw. When he's finished, he'll ask you for a napkin. Then he'll want to look in a mirror to make sure he doesn't have a milk mustache. When he looks in the mirror, he might notice his hair needs a trim. So he'll probably ask for a pair of nail scissors. When he's finished giving himself a trim, he'll want a broom to sweep it up. He'll start sweeping. He might get carried away and sweep every room in the house. He may even end up washing the floors as well! When he's done, he'll probably want to take a nap. You'll have to fix up a little box for him with a blanket and a pillow. He'll crawl in, make himself comfortable and fluff the pillow a few times. He'll probably ask you to read him a story. So you'll read to him from one of your books, and he'll ask to see the pictures. When he looks at the pictures, he'll get so excited he'll want to draw one of his own. He'll ask for paper and crayons. He'll draw a picture. When the picture is finished, he'll want to sign his name with a pen. Then he'll want to hang his picture on your refrigerator. Which means he'll need Scotch tape. He'll hang up his drawing and stand back to look at it. Looking at the refrigerator will remind him that he's thirsty. So... he'll ask for a glass of milk. And chances are if he asks you for a glass of milk, he's going to want a cookie to go with it."

Author Laura Numeroff
My e-mail repeater didn't include the author's name so I Googled the first line. We have had a collection of kids' books for much longer than we have had grandkids but now, the books and the kids go together like ice cream and berries. This book will be added to the collection as soon as I can find it.

Actually, this is much like the story of how Mrs Ho Ho and I got together, except we sort of took turns being the mouse. I crept into her arms and she crept into my heart.

She knew me for years before she first visited me when I took a job out of town. She was very impressed with my cooking and how clean I kept the place swept out (only I used a vacuum cleaner).

We just celebrated our Silver Anniversary. I still do most of the cooking and cleaning (I have a new vacuum now). I don't sleep in a little box; she has a nice soft place beside her in her bed (our bed now).

And it is a sort of circular story. We keep doing the same old loving things day after day after day . . .

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:33 PM   #30
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Awww.. Ho Ho... that is so sweet....
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:37 AM   #31
Taenia

Taenia can now change their title

"Life is beautiful"
Old 07-31-2015, 08:26 PM   #32
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, the speed of light, you know, Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure, how amazingly unlikely is your birth
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Eric Idle

The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.

Douglas Adams

What was that about hats again?
Old 08-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #33
wrenchboy

wrenchboy is a member of the 500 clubwrenchboy is a member of the 500 clubwrenchboy is a member of the 500 clubwrenchboy is a member of the 500 clubwrenchboy is a member of the 500 clubwrenchboy is a member of the 500 club

It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not. Peter Steele
wrenchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:42 AM   #34
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

"Be yourself, because everyone else is taken."- Oscar Wilde
Old 08-08-2015, 07:50 AM   #35
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post
"Be yourself, because everyone else is taken."- Oscar Wilde
I love it, but . . . I think someone else took the 'me' I was supposed to be, and look what I got stuck with?

Old 08-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #36
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I find myself quoting this in my head sometimes.....the most beautiful thing I have ever read:

On Children

Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #37
Ho Ho Tai

[QUOTE=Green Eyed Fairy;2142651]I find myself quoting this in my head sometimes.....the most beautiful thing I have ever read:

On Children

Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
[/QUOTE/

GEF-

This brings back an old memory. In the '60s and '70s I worked in a very small research shop at Univac. We had a computer - a cast-off 1218 prototype called the Control Unit Tester (CUT). That was a phony designation that the original developers hung on it to keep the brass from snooping too much. It had an 8 microsecond 'add' time and 4,000 x 18 bit memory. (We were overjoyed a few years later to find another 4,000 word memory block that could be haywired into our machine. We added other cast-off peripherals that no one else had found a home for, including an X-Y plotter that could draw straight lines, like a draftsperson with a ruler.

With a bit of programming, we were able to make it draw letters in short segments. With the pen head bobbing up and down, it looked like a chicken plucking corn. The first text we cranked out was that Gibran piece. One copy took about 20 minutes.

We used that thing to develop sonar algorithms for the Navy. My first patent resulted from that. I kept getting Renewal of Secrecy orders for decades afterward. I think that the first use (Gibran) was the best.

I gotta say it. "You kids don't know how good you've got it!"

Old 08-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #38
balletguy

balletguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging in

Wish in one hand and shit in the other....see what fills up first.
Bad Santa
balletguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #39
Ho Ho Tai

Default "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter."

Friends -

I sent this out as an e-mail today. You may like it too.

Great quote: "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again, Fail again. Fail better." wrote Samuel Beckett. In life tenacity is everything, something Americans do better than most."

A great maxim for teachers and other mentors to pass on to their students.

This quote is on the blog of a local weather man, Paul Douglas. He is largely a 'commercial' weatherman, catering to businesses and agriculture rather than doing TV weather. But he is wittier than most and not afraid to poke fun at the inaccuracy of weather models and weatherpeople. You can read his blog at

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/Pau...as_on_Weather/.

As a weather forecaster, he is better than most and somewhat better than Punxsutawney Phil and the Farmer's Almanac.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #40
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

This
Old 08-18-2015, 02:39 PM   #41
balletguy

balletguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging in

You can't always get what you want
balletguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #42
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletguy View Post
You can't always get what you want
But if you try, sometimes you might find you get what you need.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:36 AM   #43
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

You can go and take a flying fuck at a rolling donut.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #44
Ho Ho Tai

Default "The only way around is through"

"The only way around is through"

Though this phrase is attributed to Robert Frost, I cannot find source in which he says it quite this way. He did include a similar phrase in a poem.

I have spent so much time in my life looking for work-arounds, alternate pathways and the like. I'm pretty sure that many of you have too. In the end you probably still have to deal with 'it' and so much time and energy have been wasted meanwhile.

I have finally come to grips with this trap - most of the time anyway.

1. Measure your resources against the magnitude and nature of the 'it'.
2. If you need more, try to get them.
3. If you have the resources, pull on your boots and plow into 'it' - headlong.
4. If you don't have the resources, forget 'it' and find other, surmountable goals.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:54 AM   #45
Ho Ho Tai

Default "Meditation is not what you think"

I ordered some books from the Theosophical Society a while back. I just discovered a bookmark inside one of them with this admonishment written on it:

"Meditation is not what you think"

I love the wordplay. I love 'fruitful' puns - puns that are both a clever play on words and which reveal a deeper truth. This qualifies.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:06 AM   #46
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Attributed to Dr. Seuss. I flatter myself that I am not the type to be swayed by cliche, but as simple as this is it really did change my perspective on losing something when I first heard it at a time when it was particularly applicable.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2015, 06:02 AM   #47
biggirlsrock
Cunning Linguist

biggirlsrock is a member of the 500 clubbiggirlsrock is a member of the 500 clubbiggirlsrock is a member of the 500 clubbiggirlsrock is a member of the 500 clubbiggirlsrock is a member of the 500 clubbiggirlsrock is a member of the 500 club

I might've been born yesterday, but I was up all night!!!
Old 09-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #48
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Whenever someone says, "My mama didn't raise no fools." My reply is always, "You must have left home at an early age,"
Old 09-13-2015, 11:40 AM   #49
FluffyButterfly80
Let's be friends!

FluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging in

"Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change."
-Dr Wayne Dyer (R.I.P.)
Old 12-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #50
swamptoad
Berry Good!

swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!

Don't be afraid to go out on a limb. That's where the fruit is.

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

Tags
quotes, sayings