Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 08-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Happenstance
Cautious Pessimist

Happenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default A Matter of Thirds

I come up with games for everything in my mind because I'm obsessive and like making pointless connections between things. It comes of doing nothing but word puzzle books as a child. Here is a game of my own design, that I shall explain to you.

I (or the creator of the puzzle) will provide three words. The three words are linked by the fact that they can be used with a fourth word, either before or after each of the original three to form a cohesive phrase.

For example! If the words are:
Surgeon, Mouse, Hyrule

Then the answer is 'field', because it forms 'field surgeon', 'field mouse', and 'Hyrule Field'.

The three words should be chosen such that only one word matches them all well.

An easy one:
1. Pork, Sticks, Suey

A moderate one:
2. Common, Negative, Horse

And a more challenging one:
3. Face, Fork, Dead

Try these, or come up with your own! For the sake of clarity, I suggest we number them as they are created, meaning that the next person to come up with one will number it as 4.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
Buffie
KittyBuffieKat

Location: Kansas City, MO (Most of KC is in Missouri and not Kansas, just FYI.)
Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm zoned out on cold pills because I have a sinus infection, so this sounds like the perfect thing to occupy my mind!

The first one I totally got.

#1 is "Chop". Pork chop. Chop sticks. Chop suey.

The other two though... I've got answers, but I'm pretty sure they're wrong.

Here's a guess.

Is #2 "Sense"?

#3 has me drawing blank-o but I had fun trying different things. For example, it is not "salad" nor "head" nor "horse".

I give up. A cheat plz?

Hear the Twitter Patter of Little Tweets.
http://bit.ly/BuffieTweets
Buffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
alison.victoria

alison.victoria can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesalison.victoria can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesalison.victoria can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happenstance View Post
I come up with games for everything in my mind because I'm obsessive and like making pointless connections between things. It comes of doing nothing but word puzzle books as a child. Here is a game of my own design, that I shall explain to you.

I (or the creator of the puzzle) will provide three words. The three words are linked by the fact that they can be used with a fourth word, either before or after each of the original three to form a cohesive phrase.

For example! If the words are:
Surgeon, Mouse, Hyrule

Then the answer is 'field', because it forms 'field surgeon', 'field mouse', and 'Hyrule Field'.

The three words should be chosen such that only one word matches them all well.

An easy one:
1. Pork, Sticks, Suey

A moderate one:
2. Common, Negative, Horse

And a more challenging one:
3. Face, Fork, Dead

Try these, or come up with your own! For the sake of clarity, I suggest we number them as they are created, meaning that the next person to come up with one will number it as 4.
1 is definitely "chop."

2 could be "power"? Is there such a thing as a common power in math? LOL.

3 I believe is "lift."

And I'm so tired that I cannot come up with a fourth.
alison.victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
Happenstance
Cautious Pessimist

Happenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going on

1 and 2 are correct. I suspect 'negative sense' is the one people are least familiar with, it being a molecular biology term.

Then 3... no... but 'salad' is an amusing guess. I'll let more people try before giving a clue.

Edit: Oh, hey. Good job Alison, 3 is indeed lift.

I can/will come up with a lot more of these if I think about it, I just wanted to see if the crowd here was receptive to word puzzle type things such as this.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
alison.victoria

alison.victoria can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesalison.victoria can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesalison.victoria can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Woohoo! Hehe. And I loooove word games. I'm just terrible at coming up with them. Lol.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
sprint45_45

sprint45_45 can now change their title

The third one was the easiest for me, but that is just lots of the random crap i know. I couldn't get the easy one.

Lets go BILLS
sprint45_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
Happenstance
Cautious Pessimist

How easy different ones are for different people probably says something about how your mind works. I just ranked them by how easy I think they would have been for me. Any psychoanalysts in the house?

4. cheap, bike, Joe

5. Grant, blueberry, violet
Old 08-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
sprint45_45

sprint45_45 can now change their title

4. is dirt
5. don't know

Lets go BILLS
sprint45_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #9
Ernest Nagel
is old

Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

5. Grant, blueberry, violet
Seed, maybe?
Old 08-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
Happenstance
Cautious Pessimist

4 is dirt.
5 is not seed.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #11
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!

Hill

Lane, Money, Arcade
Old 08-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
Buffie
KittyBuffieKat

Location: Kansas City, MO (Most of KC is in Missouri and not Kansas, just FYI.)
Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardon_grip View Post
Hill

Lane, Money, Arcade
Penny.

Uhhh...

Buck, Pig, Tags

Hear the Twitter Patter of Little Tweets.
http://bit.ly/BuffieTweets
Buffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:15 AM   #13
Happenstance
Cautious Pessimist

I've got nothing, Buffie. Let's call yours #7.

8. green, tea, city
9. big, black, Larry
10. back, car, hog
11. rain, body, milk
12. tax, original, city
13. big, bad, sauce
14. honey, green, colonel
15. mmm, it, baby

I've got a few more, but that should do for now...
Old 08-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #14
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've got nothing, Buffie. Let's call yours #7.

8. green, tea, city
9. big, black, Larry
10. back, car, hog
11. rain, body, milk
12. tax, original, city Sin
13. big, bad, sauce
14. honey, green, colonel Mustard
15. mmm, it, baby

I've got a few more, but that should do for now

Well, I got a couple right a way. Will have to think more about the others.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #15
Blackjack_Jeeves
I'm a pepper, too...

Blackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
8. green, tea, city
9. big, black, Larry
10. back, car, hog
11. rain, body, milk
12. tax, original, city
13. big, bad, sauce
14. honey, green, colonel
15. mmm, it, baby

I've got a few more, but that should do for now...
I'm pretty sure 10 is Panel. I'm going to guess that 8 is Leaf? And 9 could be King? Somehow neither sounds quite right, and yet I could almost see them working... A wrong guess is just that, but maybe it'll spawn a correct response from someone else!

A very ingenious game. I enjoy it, even though I may suck.
"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper." - Rob Serling

"The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

"Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?" - Kevin Throop III
Blackjack_Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #16
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffie View Post
Buck, Pig, Tags
give me some...SKIN
Old 08-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #17
Happenstance
Cautious Pessimist

Betty - good job, 12 is sin, 14 is mustard.

Jeeves - 10 is not panel, but apparently it works because 'hog panel' is something. Points off for me. 8 is not leaf, 9 is not king.

So we still have:

8. green, tea, city
9. big, black, Larry
10. back, car, hog
11. rain, body, milk
13. big, bad, sauce
15. mmm, it, baby

And I'm assuming skin is right for 7?

Edit: What the hell, I'm going to add one more because I like this one.

16. land, card, tiger

Last edited by Happenstance; 08-18-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Happenstance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #18
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
B
16. land, card, tiger
Shark?

How about throw, burn, crowd?

ETA: I guess that would be #17?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #19
Happenstance
Cautious Pessimist

Shark is a winner.

17: in?
Old 08-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #20
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

#9 is BIRD
Old 08-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #21
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

#15-is BOP
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 61MXB8H11JL._SL500_AA280_.gif.jpeg (6.6 KB, 448 views)

Last edited by vardon_grip; 12-20-2008 at 09:06 AM.
vardon_grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #22
Happenstance
Cautious Pessimist

Two more down, you're good at this Vardon!

I enjoyed coming up with the bop one...

Leaving us with:

8. green, tea, city
10. back, car, hog
11. rain, body, milk
13. big, bad, sauce

and there are unverified guesses out on:

7. buck, pig, tags (from Buffie)
17. throw, burn crowd (from edx)
Old 08-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #23
alison.victoria

Quote:
Two more down, you're good at this Vardon!

I enjoyed coming up with the bop one...

Leaving us with:

8. green, tea, city
10. back, car, hog
11. rain, body, milk
13. big, bad, sauce

and there are unverified guesses out on:

7. buck, pig, tags (from Buffie)
17. throw, burn crowd (from edx)
8 could be garden?? dunno
10 is wash.
17 I thought might be rug, but I don't think there's a such thing as a crowd rug. LOL
Old 08-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #24
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

#8- room
Old 08-19-2008, 06:03 AM   #25
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Shark is a winner.

17: in?
yep: throw-in, burn-in, in-crowd.