Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 05-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default The last movie you watched... and score out of ten - Part 2

Here's the link to Part 1.

Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
HDANGEL15
GREATFUL

HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Wendy & Lucy

WENDY & LUCY 9/10

I had to rent this movie, I was in NYC with my friend lucy (my real name is wendy) and we saw that on a marquee and were like holy shit...it got good reviews and all..

I found out it was about a girl and her dog...pretty artsy, lowbrow movie, but kept me intrigued none the less...liked the cinemotraphy the most...and a girl and a dog? how can you go wrong?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Violet_Beauregard

Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I saw "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" about two weeks ago. Hugh Jackman is fantastic. As was Liev Schreiber. It gave a lot of back ground on Jackman's character and how he became Wolverine. Definite set up for a Wolverine sequel, which would be welcome. There was a semi-nude scene by Hugh Jackman, and I saw him on Oprah and he did the nude scene himself... no body double. H-O-T-T-I-E!!!! He really bulked up and worked out for this movie... he looked fantastic. And Liev Schreiber was outstanding. This role was a bit "physical" for him, but he was very good in it.

All-in-all though, it was a great movie. I do hope they do a Wolverine sequel. They need to cover the period from when he actually becomes Wolverine, which is where they left off in this movie, and where he meets Xavier.... who they briefly introduced in this movie. I would like to see them do an Origins movie for each of the characters in the X-Men. It was be great to learn all of their backgrounds.

Excellent movie. Highly recommended. Definite 10 out of 10.
Violet_Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:55 AM   #4
Matt L.

Matt L. can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMatt L. can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Plans are under way for a Wolverine sequel.
Matt L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
ThatFatGirl

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

We've watched a lot of movies lately since discovering Netflix's "Watch Instantly" selections and the hubby's purchase of a large flat screen monitor (prior to being laid off, of course). What I remember most recently and scores:

Pan's Labyrinth - 9/10

Beautiful, dark and sad.. cried like a baby at the end. Guillermo Del Toro has quickly become one of my favorite filmmakers. He had a hand in two of my top favorite horror movies of the last decade (The Orphanage and The Devil's Backbone) and has many more films on the horizon I'm excited about (more horror films and The Hobbit!).

Them ("Ils") - 7.5/10

Horrible, true story about a couple invaded and attacked in their rural Romanian home by some intruders.. won't spoil it by telling you who. This was a great on-the-edge of your seat thriller, no gore, but scary as hell right up to the end.

Teeth - 7/10

Much funnier than I anticipated. Seems incredibly horrible to laugh one moment then watch this young woman be the victim of sexual assault (more than once even), but the perpetrators get theirs. Vagina Dentata.. oh my.

Blackout - 6.5/10

Stuck on an elevator with a serial killer for nearly 24 hours! It had its moments.

Penelope- 7/10

Lacking in some areas, but the kiss at the end with James McAvoy? So hot I had to watch it three times. I love that boy.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #6
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Children of Heaven 9/10
this is a sweet Iranian movie about a brother and sister. they are very poor and the brother loses his sisters shoes on the way home from getting them repaired. They are too afraid to tell their parents so they share his shoes. It's a harship for them at school because of the shoe situation. The poverty of the area they live in is so sad. It's a really sweet movie. The kids are adorable. The brother winds up trying to win a regional race to get a pair of new shoes.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

UP 10/10! One of the best animated movies I have ever seen. Very funny, surprisingly emotional, excellent. And I saw it in 2D. I can't wait to see it in 3D
Old 05-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm so envious PamelaLois! I want to see up, we're just not sure where to stash Alex. We got Max the Up video game for his kindergarten graduation. It's a lot of fun.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
ThatFatGirl

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Two more surprisingly good scary movies these last couple of days:

Shiver - 7/10

Spanish film about a light sensitive teenage boy and his mom who move north to a small village in the country so that he might have more of a life where the days are shorter. Mysterious deaths of livestock and town folks in the woods has everyone suspecting the weird, new kid, but he has been in the woods and has seen "it".. some good plots twists in this one.

Stuck - 7.5/10

What made this so horrific (therefore good) to me is that it is based on a true story that I remember reading about a woman who runs into a homeless guy crossing the street while driving under the influence. He is stuck in her windshield, injured, but alive and begging her to get him help. She's pissed he crossed when he shouldn't and what this situation could mean to her future (and a promised promotion to Nursing Assistant Captain at the nursing home works at). She debates what to do.. get him help or "get rid of the problem." Unbelievable! Mina Suvari gives a great performance here as does Steven Rhea as the down-on-his-luck guy having an unbelievably bad day.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

I watched Stuck recently on Netflix. Boy was that a dark movie.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
Les Toil
On Timeout

Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

The Uninvited. 2/10 Not really even worth a revue.
Les Toil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #12
NancyGirl74

NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Pan's Labyrinth 9/10. The only reason I didn't give it 10/10 was because the amount of blood got to me but I'm squeamish about that sort of thing. Otherwise it was an amazing work of art. Poignant, touching, horrifying, moving, gentle, harsh, ugly, and beautiful all in one.
NancyGirl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #13
pdgujer148
Breakfast Messiah

pdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

"Drag Me to Hell" 9/10

This movie was a blast--the audience I was with burst into spontaneous applause at the end.

"Drag Me to Hell" is both the best horror film, and the best comedy I've seen this year.
pdgujer148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
1300 Class
Pam Poovey's Stunt Double

1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have just started my Peter Watkins season.
First up was Punishment Park. Recently released on DVD, this extremely controversial film by Watkins, putting the slightly silly premise aside is an extremely realistic and well done film, shot as a pseudo documentary - considering the small budget, use of non/amateur actors for most parts and the style in which it was shot. Its a very political film, and they are shot from both sides, and I think that Watkins was damning both the militant counter-culture (violence breeding violence) and the 'establishment'. As the film progresses and violence increases on both sides after a number of incidents, its a remarkable film, and I can see why it caused such a storm when it was released back in 1971. However what is equally interesting is the examination of the group at the special tribunal, in whcih they try (sometimes) to justify themselves. Its a remarkable insight into the views and expressions of the time, as the detainees try and argue and the tribunal argues back.

Reviewers [upon the release of the DVD] have comented on how many similar aspects of the film are emerging again due to the War on Terror/Iraq and the legislation that has been passed. On the surface there are certain similarities between the world that Watkins established in the introduction and what is/has happening now. One thing that springs to my mind is that the lines between the 'Establishment' and the 'counter culture' are far more blurred and both are less militant in their actions and stances, perhaps even less ideologized in their beliefs now than in 1970/1. I would even venture that today's counter-culture is more willing to work within the rules of 'the game' than it was then. Still its a film that shows how both sides can be condemned and that society and law and order can be reduced to a simple, brutal game that can't be beaten.

8.9/10.
1300 Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
Wild Zero
ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!

10/10
Old 05-31-2009, 07:36 PM   #16
HDANGEL15
GREATFUL

HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!

OBSESSION- 6/10

BEYONCE KICKED some white butt big time, worth the price of the ticket just for that alone.....alot like the michael douglas movie with the stalker crazy bitch ....so no surprises...but entertaining
Old 06-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #17
Les Toil
On Timeout

Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Seven Pounds--7.5/10

Very much enjoyed this. Authentic tears were shed by the Les Man. Very moving. Rosario Dawson once again proved herself to be one of America's greatest actors.
Les Toil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #18
furious styles
goodbye halcyon days

furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!

b-b-b-b-bump.

Rashomon - 10/10 : Another Kurosawa masterpiece with a cerebral story line that paints a disturbingly accurate picture of the human condition. To say that the cinematography of Kazuo Miyagawa steals the show is disrespecting the picture "as a whole" too much, but it really is something to behold.
I wish there was a board called: Let's Just All Be Fucking Honest With Each Other For Five Minutes.
furious styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:33 PM   #19
pdgujer148
Breakfast Messiah

pdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I hate to bring bad news, but "Transformers 2" isn't very good.
pdgujer148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:36 AM   #20
BMOC

BMOC can now change their title

These are all movies I've seen in the last six weeks. I mostly rent because I don't get time to go to the movies anymore and I don't have cable anymore.

Legend of the Black Scorpion- A version of Hamlet done Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon style. It was ok but not as interesting as other movies of the genre or even other versions of Shakespear's play 6/10

Let the Right One In- Swedish vampire movie. Very original. Highly recommended. And I don't even like vampire movies. 9/10

Sex Drive- Road comedy. Pretty funny stuff. Watch the rated version of the dvd first, then watch the unrated. Like watching two different movies but both versions are good. 8/10

Role Models- Paul Rudd is just a funny guy to me. Funnier than Seth Rogen any day. This is hilarious. A little raunchy at times. 8/10

Zack and Miri Make a Porno- The only Seth Rogen movie that's made me laugh since I saw him in 40 Year Old Virgin. Maybe cuz it's about porn, I don't know. 8/10

Drunken Master- Never got around to watching this till recently. Saw the remake/sequel, Legend of Drunken Master from the 90s. This one is from the 70s and shows how agile Jackie Chan was in his 20s. Incredible stunts. No wires, except for one or two basic scenes. Amazingly entertaining movie. 9/10
BMOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #21
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter

Very disappointing. I'd loved the Watchmen movie, and I had expected this to be on par with it, filling in one of the side plots that had been cut from the film.

Unfortunately, although it tells the story well, it simply doesn't deliver. A big deal is made in the graphic novel about the art style of the "Tales of the Black Freighter" comic and how disturbing it is (and it really is), and that was completely removed here- it's simply cartoonish animation that lacks the detail (and therefore the impact) of the comic in the novel. Also, like in 300, the narration is incredibly hit-and-miss; while it works often enough, there's times where it falls incredibly flat.

That said, the story is still very good. Mostly unchanged, and like in the film the changes work fairly well; the unsettling climax is still very effective, and some of the bits added in really work to make the whole thing more disturbing, as it should be.

Ultimately a major disappointment.

5/10

Ghostbusters

Still hilariously funny, the film holds up exceptionally well. If you haven't seen it, shame on you. If you have, see it again.

10/10

Dial M for Murder

A somewhat underwhelming Hitchcock film; the first bit of it struck me as campy and forced. The remainder of the film, however, was on par with what one can expect from Alfred Hitchcock, although lacking anything that would set it apart like his greater works.

7/10
Old 06-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #22
debz-aka
What does this thing do?

debz-aka can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesdebz-aka can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Tell No One
Terrifying French murder mystery! The director hits the ground running and I was with him every step, that movie left me exhausted and emotionally drained, but in a good way! Highly recommend this film if you like murder mysteries.

http://www.nouterusnojobnoproblem.blogspot.com
debz-aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #23
Mathias
SAMCRO

Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Transformers 7/10

*Despite some HUGE plotholes, it was still an ok movie.

Slither- 3/10

*Just... Disgusting. I almost threw up.

My wishlist
Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #24
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I haven't done this in awhile so here's a few I saw recently -

I Love You Man - 9/10 - I thought it was totally cute, predictable ending but better than your average romantic comedy type movie (bromance in this case.)

Drag Me To Hell - 2/10 - Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Last House on the Left - 5/10 - Weak plot, overly gory, too unbelievable, yet still made me nervous to go outside in the dark..
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:45 PM   #25
CAMellie
Gabriel Spencer

CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Twilight - 4/10

About what I expected.
CAMellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movies, rate