Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 07-15-2006, 04:58 PM   #51
Kimberleigh
gardening, mostly.

Kimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainahblue
.... thinking about getting a parrot now....
me too!
We parrot-sat for a friend who had a very scary illness and had to be hospitalized for almost 6 weeks. Deeker was an African Grey, and the absolute funniest bird I have ever seen, he definitely could have been on America's Funniest Animals. He didn't fly well, but could scramble like nobody's business. The dogs were by turns cowed and incredibly curious, but there were no accidents.
He would burp and make - I swear - a farting noise, like a raspberry - if he saw you eating. Over and over and over. We wound up moving him to the bedroom when dinner was ready.
He would cackle when the phone rang and then do loop de loops around his perch. If you turned on music with a good beat, he'd dance - bobbing the head, shuffling from foot to foot, it was crazy. By the time he'd left, he could imitate the precise tone of our phone too.

I just worry about the darn bird outliving me, and having to "will" him to someone....
Kimberleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #52
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Ha ha ha, oh my goodness yes. Felix is only about a year and a half old, and she makes some INCREDIBLE noises. The can do the motorola ring-change noise so well I have to check if I'm not paying attention to one or the other, makes a farting noise that I simply couldn't imagine where she learned it, and speaks and laughs in my voice. I think I also heard the 24 scene-change tick noise, and the knock on the front door the way it sounded in our old apartment. I mean, that's not even all of it, but she is hilarious.

Two of my others talk too, but not as well. Leroy is always cat-calling at me, and telling himself what a good boy he is. lol

Sorry to continue on about them, but it is hard not to. I love talking about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberleigh
me too!
We parrot-sat for a friend who had a very scary illness and had to be hospitalized for almost 6 weeks. Deeker was an African Grey, and the absolute funniest bird I have ever seen, he definitely could have been on America's Funniest Animals. He didn't fly well, but could scramble like nobody's business. The dogs were by turns cowed and incredibly curious, but there were no accidents.
He would burp and make - I swear - a farting noise, like a raspberry - if he saw you eating. Over and over and over. We wound up moving him to the bedroom when dinner was ready.
He would cackle when the phone rang and then do loop de loops around his perch. If you turned on music with a good beat, he'd dance - bobbing the head, shuffling from foot to foot, it was crazy. By the time he'd left, he could imitate the precise tone of our phone too.

I just worry about the darn bird outliving me, and having to "will" him to someone....
Old 07-15-2006, 10:02 PM   #53
Michelle
Member Schmember

Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!

So glad to see your birds. I'd love to hear the story of your cockatoo.

Birds are such fun critters. They're hilarious, for one, and so darned affectionate. I have two cockatiels and it's really fun being the leader of a flock. It's amazing how well they travel. I have a little travel case for them and they really love going for car rides. I've taken them to work several times because the ladies in the office keep asking me to, and they have a great time at the office. My oldest, Nigel, loves to take pieces of paper and stuff them between my calculator buttons and then remove them. He also likes to "help" me type on my keyboard.

The vet told me that when I got Nigel he'd probably regurgitate to me between a year and a year and a half, because he was so bonded to me, and that's what tiels do to their mates. Well, Nigel regurgitated last weekend, but it was to his reflection in the bathroom mirror. Apparently he thinks he's so charming, he took himself as his mate. The ultimate in narcissism!

I had another male named Ian, but sweet little Ian got PDD and died in June. So now I have Emma, who was a baby when I brought her home. She's moving into adolescense and doing the little kid thing of hanging upside down on her cage and spreading her wings and running around everywhere, testing things out. She's getting fairly proficient at flying, but doesn't have landing down very well yet, and ends up landing on my face half the time.

Birds are really cool creatures and I'm totally in love. Here's a picture of Emma cuddling with me ...

... and one of Nigel and Emma (Emma is in the foreground) on my shoulder.

Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #54
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Out.of.habit, never apologize for talking about your birds. Michelle knows me enough to know I never have enough of it, and that goes for yours, too. I want to hear the cocatoo story, too. I mean, how often does one find a bird just walking down the street??

Michelle, I always love to hear about your birdies. I find them fascinating creatures and never tire of it. Your babies are beautiful, but not as beautiful as you.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:57 AM   #55
Peanut the Wonder Dog

Peanut the Wonder Dog can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaclear
How do we give rep to our pets?

These animals rock! Very cute!
Uh, my mom (Sandie) and dad (Wayne) do it all the time.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:48 PM   #56
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Thanks Tina, for that reassurance! That's awesome of you - I guess I'm getting over that newbie "I hope they like me..." phase.

So- Madison.

I was driving to work (my last day as an practicum intern, interestingly enough) and prior to my morning coffee, I saw an incredibly white pigeon wandering down the sidewalk across the street from me. Noticing a man walking behind it, staring confusedly, it only took a couple more seconds for my mind to register "parrot." Mind you, this was downtown Worcester, MA (Kelly Sq, if you're familiar), and traffic is by no means... gentle, particularly not at that hour. So, performing a marvelous k-turn mid-block, I pulled up next to said confused man, who was at this point holding the bird.

"S'cuse me sir, is that your bird?"
"Honey, I don't even know what the hell kind of bird this is. I think it's hungry though, it was chewing on some twigs."
"I think I can take care of that, mind if I give it a shot?"
"Sure. I don't know what to do with a bird. I just don't know if it's tame, or if it'll get in the car without flying off."
I put out my hand to the bird, and said gently, "Step up." She did.
"Do you have any change?" said the man...

I set her quickly on the floor of the car, not being sure how friendly she was and got out the pellet/seed travel food I had in the glove compartment (this is not because I drive around looking for parrots to rescue, I had been traveling with Felix the weekend before...lol), a couple parrot foot-toys from my purse, andsome water in one of those liter-size aquafina caps (and a couple bills for the man). She dove beak-first into the food, drank some of the water, and began to do a toss-catch trick with the cap. I was hers.

So, I drove home, asked my brother (whom of which was serendipitously visiting at the time) to bring out a carrier, so that I could figure out what to do with her, and I called work to let them know I would not be coming in that day (which was ok, this had not been the ideal relationship). At this point, Madison, having given up on showing me her trick, climbed underneath the passenger seat where it was cool, and had closed her eyes. I (bravely or stupidly) put my hands under the seat and pulled her out gently, and placed her in the carrier with food, water, and toys. Then, I went to my bird guru's home, where she clipped her wings (since at this point, even if she could fly unclipped, she wouldn't have been able to fend for herself, or protect herself from harm), and we made an appointment with a vet after being unable to locate any owners that had called shelters, vets, or made posts online or in the local paper.

Vet's best guess:
Madison is a 25y/o, likely older, wild-caught Goffin's Cockatoo. Her band indicates that she had been imported legally, but that was outlawed in the 80's. He guessed that she had been out in the "wilds of worcester" for weeks, if not a couple months. He also guessed that she had climbed into the shade in my car to pass on, and likely would not have lived through the day without medical attention.
He gave her some vitamin shots, did some bloodwork (to test for major and minor psittacine diseases, as well as other important functions), and cleared her to go home with me, quarantined from my other babies.
Whew! The search began to find owners, thorough, though half-hearted. A couple months later, I let that go. The consensus was that it was meant to be.
So, a little about Madison. Crazy, wild-caught cockatoo as she may be, it took her a couple months to recouperate. She started playing more, making more noise, and was constantly cuddly. She spoke once, swearing, and saying "Shut the f*** up," leading me to believe that she had at some point been abused. She is also deathly afraid of perches she isn't familiar with, broomsticks, and had been VERY afraid of stepping onto hands (after she was strong enough to protest). She is much better about hands now, a year later. This bird has every reason to be a mean, biting, screaming (okay, she's a 'too, she will always scream), crotchety old bird... and she's not. She loves to be held and pet, loves to be cuddled and swaddled like an infant. She is incredibly sweet, and warms to nearly everyone in a short period of time.
It's something, really. She is incredible.

There you have it. The (long) story of Madison.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:53 PM   #57
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

PS: Rainahblue, if you're ever looking for info on starting with birds, totally let me know!

Michelle- your 'Tiels are adorable! They are such awesome birds.

Thanks all for being interested in the story! :o) I loved writing it out!
Old 07-16-2006, 08:20 PM   #58
EllorionsDarlingAngel
Loving my lil Princess!

EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina
These are pics of my friend, Friday's, cat, Jez (I think her nickname is Queen of Everything, if I'm remembering correctly! ).

And my fave. She looks regal, no?

Jez, is wonderful, Friday.

I'm loving looking at all these aminals!

So sweet... I am sorry for your lose Tina. Thank you for the rep... it's not letting me rep you back right now but as soon as I can I will... I hope one day I get my kitty too. I looked them up and one site I went to is selling them for like $600 shots and fixed included. I hope I will be able too!! They are so darn cute!
I also want a yorkie. My cousin has one and she is Preggers so hopefully she will keep me in mind on that... hehehe...
I love cats!! I am not a big dog person but I have had a few dogs growning up I will have to share some pictures.. Of my boxer Chance.. He was my baby! But When we moved here we couldn't keep him only small dogs and cats with a deposit which is really high.I have to get a job soon so maybe we will be able to do it soon.
He is with my other cousin who lives in Cali so I don't get to see him any more I have asked her for more pictures but she has yet sent any. I miss him so much!

I MISS HIM!!!
Old 07-16-2006, 08:20 PM   #59
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

There are my boys

Last edited by bigsexy920; 01-17-2012 at 05:30 PM.
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:24 PM   #60
swamptoad
Berry Good!

swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainahblue

Oooohh Cuddles is purty... good photo!

Thanks.

I like using sepia (old-fashioned) look occasionally when I take pictures.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:37 PM   #61
BigCutieCindy
Simply Flabulous

BigCutieCindy has super-sized repBigCutieCindy has super-sized repBigCutieCindy has super-sized repBigCutieCindy has super-sized repBigCutieCindy has super-sized rep

I've posted pics of my babies before. These pics are really new though I'm not sure they show off all Geo and Luna's cuteness!

Here's Geo...he's 13 years old, was a stray that decided to live with us (me and my ex....I got custody). I love my boy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 004sm.jpg (81.8 KB, 259 views)
BigCutieCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:39 PM   #62
BigCutieCindy
Simply Flabulous

BigCutieCindy has super-sized repBigCutieCindy has super-sized repBigCutieCindy has super-sized repBigCutieCindy has super-sized repBigCutieCindy has super-sized rep

And here's my beautiful baby girl!

Here's Luna....She's about 9 or so....also a stray...and again, I got custody!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0128sm.jpg (67.0 KB, 255 views)
BigCutieCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:36 AM   #63
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Erin, Chance is a beautiful Boxer. I'm sure you do miss him terribly. It's hard to give them up, isn't it?

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Old 07-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #64
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I love all these pets. Luna is ADORABLE. I want a fuzzy, furry kitty!

Here's Chloe, on my messy purple couch (we're in the middle of a move and the place is in chaos).

Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #65
Tina
Older and wiser now

Out.of.habit, I really enjoyed the incredible story of Madison. Thank you so much for telling it.

Vickie, I've always thought that Chloe is so pretty, and yet cute at the same time, little orally-fixated imp that she is.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:32 PM   #66
EllorionsDarlingAngel
Loving my lil Princess!

EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EllorionsDarlingAngel has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina
Erin, Chance is a beautiful Boxer. I'm sure you do miss him terribly. It's hard to give them up, isn't it?
Yeah he's my baby..I have so many other pictures but the hard not on the computer and we dont have a scanner so...I have a cute one of him in my old navy blue sunviser...her looks so cute...I do miss him so much.. Yes it is.. and it was only suppose to be for a short time.. I was going to ask the front office if we could keep him here but I didn't get a chance and before I know it my aunt told me cousin and he was wisked*sp* away to Cali.. let me tell you I told my aunt don't give him away I am going to see if I can keep him but she didn't listen to me and gave him back to my cousin. I was mad at the both of them for sometime. I still kinda am. I don't get to see him anymore or see pictures. We have a family website and I have tried a couple of times to get her to send me pictures but she hasn't she did once and I lost my hotmail account so they are gone.. I asked again and I have gotten nothing. So I will try once again and we will see what happens. Wish me luck.

Sorry.. had to vent a little.

Thank you tho. Hugs

Everyones kiddies(cats and dogs) are so beautiful!
Old 07-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #67
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

I just wanted to write one last little post here to thank everyone for their kind words, and general wonderfulness (there I go, creating words again...).
Also, the rep! (How much does that rock?!) Thanks for taking the time to read my ridiculously long story!

Kimberleigh- I'm in Newark Valley (halfway between Binghamton and Ithaca), I grew up in Binghamton, and I'm back now after a three-year stint in the Boston area. :o) I missed Upstate.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #68
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Here's Hugin - my roomie, Nancy, is his Mommy. I am Aunt Randi.

Aunt Randi bought him this great catnip mat (it opens and you can put catnip inside). He loves rolling around on it and getting stoned, as you can see.

Rolling around hugging the mat. Look at that smile! So cute!

One stoned kitty!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:42 PM   #69
Tina
Older and wiser now

OMG, Randi, that second pic is really funny.

Erin, I'm sorry to read what you've gone through here. It's awful that she has your dog but won't even send you pictures. I don't blame you one bit for being hurt and angry.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:53 PM   #70
swamptoad
Berry Good!

swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!

SVS, great pictures!

hahaha!!!

Old 07-18-2006, 02:45 AM   #71
Ericthonius
Unrepentant

Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ericthonius has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Oh man... I feel like Jim Fowler or Steve Irwin. Why? I'll tell you...

I've had a stray and very tiny cat living on my porch for the past two weeks, I'm not sure if it's a Munchkin or a kitten actually but it's tiny either way. Fine in and of itself but I've got two other furkids already living with me, my 'Wild House Panther' and my 'Free-Range Couch Lion', named Reinhard and Morgen, respectivly. I spoil them and love both of them silly. Also, the neighborhood Tom/Alpha Male has adopted me it seems as we're both the only things out late at night. I put out a bowl of food for him when he comes around which isn't every day but maybe four out of seven days in a week and scratches on my door and meows to tell me that it's time to turn off the flood-lights in front of my house and throw out my garbage. (Cats are wonderful creatures of habit that you can set your watch by some of them.)

Anyhow... The local Tom, 'Limpy', comes by my place tonight after being MIA for about 5 days or so and the kitten who has been living on my porch was there at the same time and sparks flew. I was afraid for the poor kitten's life as these two weren't going to get along. I took the container of food in my pocket that was for him and went down to the first landing on my outside stairs and fed Limpy there. Crisis defused for the moment as the kitten took off. Then Limpy leaves escorts me to turn off the lights and the Kitten, now called,'Pixy', as I'm not sure if it's male or female yet but it sure is small, returns. Then everybody converges on my porch at the same time! My two kids are right inside the screen door watching the fireworks and then Limpy growls at first Pixy then me then Rienhard, which sets Reinhard off, too (Wait! The fun is just beginning!), and I know something ugly might happen any second, so I had to think of something fast. Back in the house, tear the livingroom apart and dig out the cat carrier, assemble same, (My cats see me with it, think it's time for the Vet and freak!), back outside and set the carrier with food in it as a trap to grab Pixy without Limpy seeing it happen as he I think wants in occasionally but he is a barn cat, I'd prefer a cat that'll stay indoors only. Besides, this whole area is his turf and well, you get an idea as to what the situation is now, and to top it all off he belongs to my next-door neighbor. Somehow, it worked, (Thank Freyja) and I got Pixy in the house, alive and unharmed but real scared.

Now the second part develops:

My cats are pretty surprised by this whole episode and when I open the carrier in the house, Pixy runs through the place and hides under the bed. It's a big King-Sized Sleigh bed almost 8X8 sq/ft. Plenty of area for a 2lb. kitty to hole-up under. Then my two Smilodons, (my Morgen or 'Punkin' as I like to calll her is 14 pounds of Maine Coon Cat. I guess she qualifies as a BBK?), move in to see up close and personal what they've been looking at through the screen door for the past few weeks. Curiosity and all that. That was at 01:00 this morning and it's now almost 06:00 and the hide and seek is still in progress and I haven't a clue if they're going to get along or not as both of my furkids are acting really pissed-off at me about this impromptu development. I hope they do get along as I won't just open the door and let Pixy out again. S/He wandered into this area by either chance or whatever and picked my house specifically when there are other houses within spitting distance with kitties too so re-introducing the cat to an already stable environment isn't fair to the other outsde kitties, so I guess the best thing to do in this case if I arrive at a (Gods forbid), negative prognosis, would be to go to the place I got Morgen from as they're a No-Destroy Shelter and see if they'd be able to place the cat with a good home.

This has been a very anxious night for me that isn't over yet. Maybe because it's been 4 days short of a year since I brought Punkin home and I'm forgetting what went on with her and Reinnie and all this hissing and Woo-Wooing is normal. I hope that all three of them calm down and get along as the not knowing what to do is making me feel terrible.

Below is a not too recent picture of Reinie and Punkin, the other two I'll have to use my digital later today but it's limitation is an odd malfunction and it will only work if attached to the computer. It won't work on batteries for some strange reason.

rmrugred1.JPG
Old 07-18-2006, 05:51 AM   #72
Rainahblue

Rainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging in

Interesting animals you have, IdahoCynth... I had to click on your Axolotl.org link, since I’d never even heard of the little cuties. I love the way they look!

Oh, Tina, I loved your stories of Gandalf and Patch. Gandalf does sound like the sweetest souled dog ever. I know you miss them.

Michelle, Emma and Nigel are goorjus! I’m so sorry about Ian.

Friday I love that sleepy kitty pic - that’s how I look in the morning.

Out.of.habit., I love your birdie story! It was definitely meant to be… We’ll be moving before the end of the year, and I’d love a bird once we’re settled. I’ll take you up on the offer of letting me pick your brain then.

ChimpisDarlingAngel, that stinks. It’s frustrating when people don’t realize how much our pets mean to us.

Wow, Ericthonius, what an adventure! Definitely keep us posted...
Rainahblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:01 AM   #73
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Hi Ericthonius,

I have a couple of suggestions for you if it is not too late (or for the next time you bring a kitty home!).

It is best to keep the new kitty in a small enclosed area (I use the bathroom for this) for the first few days, up to 2 weeks, depending on the kitty. Then spend lots of time in there with new kitty. This allows the new kitty to get adjusted to the new surroundings and to you, and the current kitties to the new kitty. When you see them start to play "footsie" under the bathroom door they are usually ready to come out.

You will want to take Pixy to the vet and get him/her tested for FIV and FELV, get initial shots, and determine what sex the little thing is

Thanks for being compassionate enough to bring this little thing in
Old 07-18-2006, 07:09 AM   #74
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

I'd name names, but I'm late for work! Ya'll (and I do mean the 'a'll') know who you are:

I <3 Big Hearts!
Old 07-18-2006, 07:11 AM   #75
FitChick
On Timeout

FitChick can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFitChick can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

We adopted a white cat with one blue and one yellow eye recently. We named her Helen (as in Keller), because genetically, most white cats with one blue eye are deaf in the ear on the side where the blue eye is.

But since it now seems her hearing is fantastic (at least its better than mine!), and since she has filled out and looks so much better than when we first got her, we decided the "Helen" stands for Helen of Troy!

We met a woman online who found her as a stray, starving and seemed to have recently had kittens. This nice lady took her home, took her to the vet, got her spayed and cleaned up, and apart from being way underweight at the time and having a beaten-up face (another cat or dog must have attacked her), she was okay.

We have had her for a month, and the facial injury is gone, she has gained weight, and her fur looks beautiful! Now if only I could find the scanner and digital camera so hubby can scan in or take some pics of her (both are still packed up somewhere, since we recently moved.)

Our black cat, Cleo, who got out of the house shortly before we moved from NJ, unfortunately has not yet been found. She was last seen eating outside a neighbor's house in NJ, and the woman who lives there keeps trying to grab her, but with no luck.
FitChick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animals, pets