Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board



View Poll Results: What causes you to feel "out of place" here?
Age 112 21.17%
Lack of familiarity with/exposure to the internet 25 4.73%
Relationship status 66 12.48%
Body type 104 19.66%
Gender 38 7.18%
Political views 61 11.53%
Language 20 3.78%
Other 207 39.13%
I don't feel out of place here 124 23.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 529. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
FreeThinker
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upper Canada
Posts: 4,464
FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Feeling "Out Of Place" At Dimensions

The attached poll allows for multiple answers, and is anonymous.



Whilst reading another thread, I noticed a poster saying that, while Dimensions is something of an "online home", this person always feels like a bit of an outsider looking in.

In a response, another poster, in offerring reassurance, referred to this first person as one of "the old guard".


Eureka.


Could it be simply that older folks like the poster in question (and myself) feel somewhat "outside" more because of where Dimensions is rather than what Dimensions is?


Dimensions is an internet-based forum.


Well, duh.


The significance of that, however, may be that, to the younger generation, being on the internet means being with people, yet, to us older folk (despite our protestations that we are modern thinkers who have adapted to the changing times), being on the internet means being away from people.

Do those of us who are "of a certain age" view the mere act of being online as an antisocial activity rather than a social one?

Maybe it's just my bias showing, as a 41-year-old who has only been online for a little over three years.

I can't help thinking of posting on Dimensions (or any web forum, although this is the only one in which I regularly participate) more as walking onto a stage, whereas I think the younger folk may view it more as entering a room. The feeling of cameraderie, of intimacy and immediacy, is more natural, perhaps, to those who have had this medium available for a greater portion of their lives.

I am often surprised (and gladdened) by how quickly and easily some young new posters seem to fit into our community (even calling it "our community" seems presumptuous on my part), particularly in light of my continuing sense of being "the new guy" here.



Am I out of my head, or could there be something to this?
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:30 AM   #2
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!
 
Friday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,767
Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default

I understand what you mean Free (and I've got 10 years on you by the by), although I've been online a few years longer. I find that many of my contemporaries find it puzzling and downright odd that I not only spend a lot of time socializing on the 'puter, but have made dear, dear friends through the internet and that 'Yes. I really am using vacation time to go visit someone I met on the computer.'.

I don't really see how getting to know someone on the 'puter is any different that getting to know them in the breakroom at work or over a cup of coffee after church. In fact, as busy and wide flung as most people are these days, I think it's a plus to be able to maintain a conversation like you and I currently are even though we may post hours and thousands of miles apart. Some people don't get quite the feeling of reality from words on a screen that I think they get from someone sitting there looking them in the eye but I just think it's a wonderful way to find and connect with people who share interests...or share with you a brand new interest, or maybe help you see something from a totally different angle than you've ever seen it before.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
Ruffie
 
Ruffie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 1,703
Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default I think

From what alot of newbies have said to me(cause I will talk to anyone) is that they feel more unwelcome. THis is more in chat whre they come in say hello and then are basically ignored throughout the time they are there. I try to remnd them its cause alot of us know each other for a good many years and so talk freely wth each other and this too will come in time. But it won't if we don't make the effort. Perhaps when chatting or seeng a new person on the boards taking time to respond to them pas the initial hi would help folks feel more welcome and that ths place is less"cliquish" as I have heard flung around?
Ruffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Violet_Beauregard
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,400
Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default

Speaking for myself only.... I have felt extremely out of place in the last few months.

I tend to feel a bit out of place because there are so many who actually "know" each other, in "real" life, as opposed to the internet. I find I have trouble getting involved in some discussions, because it's clear that the discussion is an "inside" thing. I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but it can be tough to get involved.

That said... there are some VERY VERY VERY nice people here, who have been extremely kind to me, and I have NO complaints about that. I appreciate everyone being so friendly and nice. I've posted a fair amount of pictures, and I've always gotten very wonderful compliments, which I greatly appreciate. I try to return those comments and compliments to everyone else as well, because I do know how good they make ME feel... I know others would like to receive the same.

I find that I don't feel my posts are "clever" enough... that what I have to say seems insignificant, compared to what some of the others have posted. So rather than post something stupid or insignificant, I don't post at all. I like reading what everyone else posts, but I keep my thoughts to myself, unless something really strikes me. I do worry that I come across badly because I don't get involved more. I don't want to be seen as snobby or better than anyone else. That's not the case at all, I just don't feel as smart some others here. So I just read a lot.

I've cut back my posting in the last few months... specifically for one reason. I cannot tolerate the rude, nasty comments that go flying around periodically. (not at me, thank goodness) Internet or not, I don't see the need to be flat out rude to someone because you don't like their post, or you think they said something that's aimed at you. What usually follows is back and forth posts trading insults...each one getting progressively more nasty and rude. I can't stand it. I have said this about people in every day society.... when did it become okay to be rude to people?

I also realize that somethings are said to be a joke or said sarcastically.... but, being written as opposed to being spoken... one doesn't hear the vocal inflection to know that it was intended to be a joke or was said sarcastically. I think that starts a lot of nasty discussion.

Generally I enjoy being here... I just would like to feel more comfortable in the discussions.
Violet_Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
BothGunsBlazing
Back...ish
 
BothGunsBlazing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edison, New Jersey
Posts: 2,159
BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default

I personally don't feel left out, but then .. I am pretty much a loud mouth, so I don't count.

I had this really long thought out post typed out until I realized that .. yeah, I do understand how difficult it can be to fit in and to put yourself out there, but I also am going to say some people just get off on martyrdom and like to complain about not fitting in and don't do anything about it .. even when handed an olive branch to do just that.

aka - http://dimensionsmagazine.com/forums...ad.php?t=40953
BothGunsBlazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
Ruffie
 
Ruffie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 1,703
Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Violet.

Can't rep you, must spread some more around before giving some to you again. But I think what you said was right on the money. There have been alot of that nastiness hanging about in these forums of late. It is a turn off, cause I think that alot more can be said and it hits home more effectively if done with some modicum of decorum and restraint. Negativity breeds negativity and often people respond in that manner and as you mentioned it gets into a fest of comments that have very little to do with the intent of the posters or even the origional intent of the thread.
I for one am thankful to those that are willing to speak their minds with grace and dignity as you do and wanted to let you know that
Ruth
Ruffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur
 
Sandie_Zitkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,042
Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default

I feel out of place. For one reason only. Some of the young men here are EXTREMELY, direspectful, rude and misogynistic (oh no I said it!) toward the women here. NO - it's not a joke, so don't even try it.

I don't understand it, I don't like it and I don't understand why it is allowed. I'm a little too old, feminist and respectful of myself to put up with it.
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
Violet_Beauregard
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,400
Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default

Thank you Ruth... I really appreciate that.

I was hoping it wasn't just me who noticed the nastiness. You're right too, that one can get their point across in a much more effective way. To me, it wastes too much time and energy being negative and nasty. I just prefer to look at the bright side, and be friendly to everyone.



Vi




Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffie View Post
Can't rep you, must spread some more around before giving some to you again. But I think what you said was right on the money. There have been alot of that nastiness hanging about in these forums of late. It is a turn off, cause I think that alot more can be said and it hits home more effectively if done with some modicum of decorum and restraint. Negativity breeds negativity and often people respond in that manner and as you mentioned it gets into a fest of comments that have very little to do with the intent of the posters or even the origional intent of the thread.
I for one am thankful to those that are willing to speak their minds with grace and dignity as you do and wanted to let you know that
Ruth
Violet_Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
Butterbelly
Melting in the desert
 
Butterbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 989
Butterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging in
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet_Beauregard View Post
Speaking for myself only.... I have felt extremely out of place in the last few months.

I tend to feel a bit out of place because there are so many who actually "know" each other, in "real" life, as opposed to the internet. I find I have trouble getting involved in some discussions, because it's clear that the discussion is an "inside" thing. I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but it can be tough to get involved.

That said... there are some VERY VERY VERY nice people here, who have been extremely kind to me, and I have NO complaints about that. I appreciate everyone being so friendly and nice. I've posted a fair amount of pictures, and I've always gotten very wonderful compliments, which I greatly appreciate. I try to return those comments and compliments to everyone else as well, because I do know how good they make ME feel... I know others would like to receive the same.

I find that I don't feel my posts are "clever" enough... that what I have to say seems insignificant, compared to what some of the others have posted. So rather than post something stupid or insignificant, I don't post at all. I like reading what everyone else posts, but I keep my thoughts to myself, unless something really strikes me. I do worry that I come across badly because I don't get involved more. I don't want to be seen as snobby or better than anyone else. That's not the case at all, I just don't feel as smart some others here. So I just read a lot.

I've cut back my posting in the last few months... specifically for one reason. I cannot tolerate the rude, nasty comments that go flying around periodically. (not at me, thank goodness) Internet or not, I don't see the need to be flat out rude to someone because you don't like their post, or you think they said something that's aimed at you. What usually follows is back and forth posts trading insults...each one getting progressively more nasty and rude. I can't stand it. I have said this about people in every day society.... when did it become okay to be rude to people?

I also realize that somethings are said to be a joke or said sarcastically.... but, being written as opposed to being spoken... one doesn't hear the vocal inflection to know that it was intended to be a joke or was said sarcastically. I think that starts a lot of nasty discussion.

Generally I enjoy being here... I just would like to feel more comfortable in the discussions.
I agree with Violet on a lot of what she said. I've noticed more and more that nasty, rude, inappropriate, and unwarranted comments seem to get by, and it doesn't matter gender. Another thing I've noticed is that what people say around here gets taken out of context a lot and there is always some blow up drama, which tends to make me want to stay away even more.

Violet even noted that a lot of Dimensions folk "know" each other and get together for bashes, etc. I don't know really know anyone from Dimensions and I can't exactly afford to go to the bashes, which has made me feel a little left out of the discussions.

I completely quit going into chat because I can't handle the rudeness of people in the chat room...again, another place where what people say gets taken out of context.

Because of these things, I don't participate in dicussions as much and log onto the forums less and less, and I definitely don't participate in chat anymore.
__________________
smooth like butter, jiggly like jello

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
- Anais Nin


"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Butterbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #10
Spanky
Freakishly Normal
 
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,230
Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet_Beauregard View Post
Thank you Ruth... I really appreciate that.

I was hoping it wasn't just me who noticed the nastiness. You're right too, that one can get their point across in a much more effective way. To me, it wastes too much time and energy being negative and nasty. I just prefer to look at the bright side, and be friendly to everyone.



Vi


You are one of the examples of what is right with Dimensions, Vi.

This is such a sucky medium (not Dimensions, threads in general) for human interaction that years from now we will look back on it and laugh. People write things and in ways they would never do in person. I liken it to the driver riding through town cutting people off, flipping and bird honking and then doing it to someone they know personally.

"If I knew it was YOU, I would have never done it." What about the nice people who you do not know. Did they deserve it??

Sooner or later, human relationships need a physical. I am not talking about sexual. I mean looking at a face, expressions, physical emotions, hand gestures, body movements, voice intonations, eye contact, etc. It is how we as humans have communicated for thousands of years. It is tough to navigate without those things.

My avatar has been on for awhile due to my general frustration. Makes me want to scream. My kitty posse too.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:09 AM   #11
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher
 
imfree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tn Loop Ranch (Lebanon, Tn.)
Posts: 9,317
imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default I Agree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffie View Post
Can't rep you, must spread some more around before giving some to you again. But I think what you said was right on the money. There have been alot of that nastiness hanging about in these forums of late. It is a turn off, cause I think that alot more can be said and it hits home more effectively if done with some modicum of decorum and restraint. Negativity breeds negativity and often people respond in that manner and as you mentioned it gets into a fest of comments that have very little to do with the intent of the posters or even the origional intent of the thread.
I for one am thankful to those that are willing to speak their minds with grace and dignity as you do and wanted to let you know that
Ruth
I agree, but hope most of it is because of
the ambiguity of language, in it's translations
and regional dialects, and not because of
ill will. I rept'er for ya'.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Not pious, just saved by grace. Your true Christianity
shows in how you treat those who hate you.

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
Violet_Beauregard
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,400
Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default

Thanks to you both. I'm glad to know it's just not me that gets so frustrated at people's lack of manners.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbelly View Post
I agree with Violet on a lot of what she said. I've noticed more and more that nasty, rude, inappropriate, and unwarranted comments seem to get by, and it doesn't matter gender. Another thing I've noticed is that what people say around here gets taken out of context a lot and there is always some blow up drama, which tends to make me want to stay away even more.

Violet even noted that a lot of Dimensions folk "know" each other and get together for bashes, etc. I don't know really know anyone from Dimensions and I can't exactly afford to go to the bashes, which has made me feel a little left out of the discussions.

I completely quit going into chat because I can't handle the rudeness of people in the chat room...again, another place where what people say gets taken out of context.

Because of these things, I don't participate in dicussions as much and log onto the forums less and less, and I definitely don't participate in chat anymore.



Thanks Spankster... I'm out of rep for you, but know this... you are a true gentleman.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
You are one of the examples of what is right with Dimensions, Vi.

This is such a sucky medium (not Dimensions, threads in general) for human interaction that years from now we will look back on it and laugh. People write things and in ways they would never do in person. I liken it to the driver riding through town cutting people off, flipping and bird honking and then doing it to someone they know personally.

"If I knew it was YOU, I would have never done it." What about the nice people who you do not know. Did they deserve it??

Sooner or later, human relationships need a physical. I am not talking about sexual. I mean looking at a face, expressions, physical emotions, hand gestures, body movements, voice intonations, eye contact, etc. It is how we as humans have communicated for thousands of years. It is tough to navigate without those things.

My avatar has been on for awhile due to my general frustration. Makes me want to scream. My kitty posse too.
Violet_Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
Tad
mostly harmless
 
Tad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,565
Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default

I guess we all have our own reasons for feeling like we don't fit in....I suspect almost everyone gets that feeling at least some of the time, I know I certainly do.

On the one hand I've been around here for ages, so it might seem odd that I feel out of place a lot of the time. Truth is that I decided long ago that I wasn't going to let feeling out of place stop me from participating. That is one of the advantages of the more impersonal, net/forums, type of interaction: I can't see anyone rolling their eyes at me unless they work at really hard, I don't get to see how many people are standing in groups when I'm not, and so on.

On the other hand, of course I don't feel like I fit in.

- I'm neither single nor looking, and a lot of the threads here kind of have some degree of that assumption to them.

- I don't know any regular posters in person, I'm not going to bashes, and I don't expect that to ever particularly change.

- I'm an FA, but these days my wife is probably smaller than what most here would call a BBW, so one of my original reasons for coming here in the first place, way-back-when, is pretty much gone, and I can't even offer second hand sympathy towards other BBW's plights. And frankly a lot of the BBW here, with a fair amount of justice, have limited patience with FA involved with non-BBW women, feeling that if being an FA is so important to us why didn't we get involved with one, and if it isn't so important why do we hang around Dimensions?

- I'm obese by the medical charts, but probably not big enough to get called a BHM around here. So I'm not the sort of eye candy appreciated by many of the women here who have traditional preferences in male physique, but neither am I big enough to really feel that I fit in on the BHM board.

- I enjoy weight gain, on others or myself, and that feels like a barely tolerated thing around Dimensions these days. At the same time I'm trying to not gain (or even drop a few pounds), and I'm supporting my wife along the same lines, so I don't feel like I can contribute much to those threads that are talking about weight gain.

- I'm a guy, and most of the friendships that have developed between posters are between women, and it really does feel sometimes like guys are tolerated and even sometimes appreciated, but not really part of things fully. Mind you, I'm not sure I want "to be part of things fully" so this is not a complaint, but it does leave me feeling out of place at times, more of a commentator than a participant.

- Some of it is probably just my innate personality. I think I'm more comfortable on the fringes of things than in the middle of them. On the few occasions that I do feel like I really belong to a group, it pretty much leaves me feeling weird and unbalanced.

In short, yah, I often feel out of place, but most of that is unavoidable due to who I am, and much of the rest of it is no doubt probable due to my personality.
__________________
Criticism is so often nothing more than the eye garrulously denouncing the shape of the peephole that gives access to hidden treasure.
-Djuna Barnes, writer and artist
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #14
Spanky
Freakishly Normal
 
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,230
Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx View Post
I guess we all have our own reasons for feeling like we don't fit in....I suspect almost everyone gets that feeling at least some of the time, I know I certainly do.

On the one hand I've been around here for ages, so it might seem odd that I feel out of place a lot of the time. Truth is that I decided long ago that I wasn't going to let feeling out of place stop me from participating. That is one of the advantages of the more impersonal, net/forums, type of interaction: I can't see anyone rolling their eyes at me unless they work at really hard, I don't get to see how many people are standing in groups when I'm not, and so on.

On the other hand, of course I don't feel like I fit in.

- I'm neither single nor looking, and a lot of the threads here kind of have some degree of that assumption to them.

- I don't know any regular posters in person, I'm not going to bashes, and I don't expect that to ever particularly change.

- I'm an FA, but these days my wife is probably smaller than what most here would call a BBW, so one of my original reasons for coming here in the first place, way-back-when, is pretty much gone, and I can't even offer second hand sympathy towards other BBW's plights. And frankly a lot of the BBW here, with a fair amount of justice, have limited patience with FA involved with non-BBW women, feeling that if being an FA is so important to us why didn't we get involved with one, and if it isn't so important why do we hang around Dimensions?

- I'm obese by the medical charts, but probably not big enough to get called a BHM around here. So I'm not the sort of eye candy appreciated by many of the women here who have traditional preferences in male physique, but neither am I big enough to really feel that I fit in on the BHM board.

- I enjoy weight gain, on others or myself, and that feels like a barely tolerated thing around Dimensions these days. At the same time I'm trying to not gain (or even drop a few pounds), and I'm supporting my wife along the same lines, so I don't feel like I can contribute much to those threads that are talking about weight gain.

- I'm a guy, and most of the friendships that have developed between posters are between women, and it really does feel sometimes like guys are tolerated and even sometimes appreciated, but not really part of things fully. Mind you, I'm not sure I want "to be part of things fully" so this is not a complaint, but it does leave me feeling out of place at times, more of a commentator than a participant.

- Some of it is probably just my innate personality. I think I'm more comfortable on the fringes of things than in the middle of them. On the few occasions that I do feel like I really belong to a group, it pretty much leaves me feeling weird and unbalanced.

In short, yah, I often feel out of place, but most of that is unavoidable due to who I am, and much of the rest of it is no doubt probable due to my personality.
Ed, I guess other than our body sizes, you sound a lot like me, at least our situations here. For the most part, respect is shown on almost all sides.

One thing a few of the ladies have mentioned to me in private, is the almost daily barrage of "come ons" PMed to them. Yes, they are men, looking to hook up (even trying the marrieds). Imagine getting hit on by women via PM. Ok, joking, most guys would go "Alriiiiiight! Woo hoo!!" But as for you (it seems) and me, especially being married, it would be very unsettling.

I can't imagine what the ladies have to go through. But it probably tarnishes all of the men here in that one has to show that they are not just married or single "preverts" looking to e-hook-up "teh wimmens of dims". The grouping of women is natural. They have a lot in common and probably feel safer knowing one isn't going to send a PM with their bewbies hanging out titled "Cute Kitty Cats".

If you can petition Conrad for a "married male Electrical Engineer FA" section of the boards, all three of us can go there.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
Violet_Beauregard
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,400
Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default

I can vouch for this... it happens to me daily... either thru Dimensions, or most often thru MySpace.

I do have a yahoo group, and I get hit-on thru there too, but quite frankly, I expect it there, due to the nature of the pictures.

But it never ceases to amaze me at the number of "friend requests" that I get thru MySpace from 18-30 year old guys. Don't get me wrong... I'm flattered that they find me attractive, but seriously... my age (44) is stated right there on the front of my page... do they REALLY want to have a relationship with someone MY age? No... they want to get laid. Period. Well, youngsters, it isn't going to happen with me. If I can't have an adult conversation with you, and if I have to explain to you who the Banana Splitz and the Monkees were.... then we aren't going to be "hooking up" in the near future.

Like I said though... it is flattering, but I'm sorry, I'm not going to date someone I could have babysat... or better yet... someone who's young enough to be my child.


Back on topic though: I think you and Ed both contribute GREAT posts and I can't imagine that either of you would feel out of place here, but I suppose we all do at one point or another. I think it's just going to happen because there is such a mix of personalities. That's not always a bad thing, it can be tough over the internet though.








Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
......
One thing a few of the ladies have mentioned to me in private, is the almost daily barrage of "come ons" PMed to them. ......

Last edited by Violet_Beauregard; 05-27-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Violet_Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #16
Leishycat
Dark and scarry
 
Leishycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,578
Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default

I feel kind of out of place, but I keep coming back. I don't really know why I feel out of place, though I suspect it's partly because of gender, partly due to feelings of inadequacy, and partly because of age. I tend to agree with edx - I kind of get the impression that guys are only tolerated, but that's rather baseless on my part, I've never been made to feel unwelcome or anything.

Maybe I'm just one of those martyr-y people. I hope not, those people annoy me horribly.
__________________
In the future, the world was dark and scarry.
Leishycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #17
ataraxia
 
ataraxia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: nowhere
Posts: 992
ataraxia carries a lot of weight on this boardataraxia carries a lot of weight on this boardataraxia carries a lot of weight on this boardataraxia carries a lot of weight on this boardataraxia carries a lot of weight on this board
Default

I've been around here a good while. I showed up a little before the Paysite board was split off from the Weight board, back on the old board system.

My problem is the high volume. I can't even read most of the posts here, let alone respond to it. It's sheer luck that I even saw this thread.

I do agree that there's an "in crowd". It's made up of those who can keep up reading and responding to it all. Many of those are the same people that regularly go to the bashes. They're the ones we recognize right away in the pics.

As for the nastiness... I protested the creation of Hyde Park from day one. If it's not on-topic, and it's not nice either, why should we allow it in our community? Why can't we tell people who want to fight, politicize, or proselytize to "take it outside", and go to some other forum?
__________________
Quantum physics means never knowing WTF is going on. :confused:
ataraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #18
Violet_Beauregard
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,400
Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default

I RARELY venture into Hyde Park. I'll look around for a moment... and immediately leave. The nastiness that I've witnessed, was on all the other boards (Main, Lounge and Weight). Opinions are going to fly in Hyde Park, which I would expect, but on the other boards... that's where I can't stand it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ataraxia View Post
I've been around here a good while. I showed up a little before the Paysite board was split off from the Weight board, back on the old board system.

My problem is the high volume. I can't even read most of the posts here, let alone respond to it. It's sheer luck that I even saw this thread.

I do agree that there's an "in crowd". It's made up of those who can keep up reading and responding to it all. Many of those are the same people that regularly go to the bashes. They're the ones we recognize right away in the pics.

As for the nastiness... I protested the creation of Hyde Park from day one. If it's not on-topic, and it's not nice either, why should we allow it in our community? Why can't we tell people who want to fight, politicize, or proselytize to "take it outside", and go to some other forum?
Violet_Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #19
Violet_Beauregard
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,400
Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default

I think it's interesting that Ed, Spanky and yourself have all mentioned that you feel the guys are only tolerated. I've not felt that myself at all, BUT I will say this: The guys have every right to be here, and personally, I welcome them. I think a good discussion should include both perspectives. I enjoy interacting (when I actually do) with the guys and I love having them here! So as far as I'm concerned, please... stick around!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Divals View Post
I feel kind of out of place, but I keep coming back. I don't really know why I feel out of place, though I suspect it's partly because of gender, partly due to feelings of inadequacy, and partly because of age. I tend to agree with edx - I kind of get the impression that guys are only tolerated, but that's rather baseless on my part, I've never been made to feel unwelcome or anything.

Maybe I'm just one of those martyr-y people. I hope not, those people annoy me horribly.
Violet_Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #20
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the Twilight Zone
Posts: 4,582
Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
If you can petition Conrad for a "married male Electrical Engineer FA" section of the boards, all three of us can go there.
And if you'll make it a "married male Electrical Engineer and Professor of Classical Languages FA" section, I'll come, too. That way we'll have enough for bridge.
__________________
Now all you women,
Don't you come around
Unless you weigh
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #21
Leishycat
Dark and scarry
 
Leishycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,578
Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet_Beauregard View Post
I think it's interesting that Ed, Spanky and yourself have all mentioned that you feel the guys are only tolerated. I've not felt that myself at all, BUT I will say this: The guys have every right to be here, and personally, I welcome them. I think a good discussion should include both perspectives. I enjoy interacting (when I actually do) with the guys and I love having them here! So as far as I'm concerned, please... stick around!
I've been here for five years, and I don't plan on goin' nowhere!
__________________
In the future, the world was dark and scarry.
Leishycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #22
Spanky
Freakishly Normal
 
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,230
Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet_Beauregard View Post
I think it's interesting that Ed, Spanky and yourself have all mentioned that you feel the guys are only tolerated. I've not felt that myself at all, BUT I will say this: The guys have every right to be here, and personally, I welcome them. I think a good discussion should include both perspectives. I enjoy interacting (when I actually do) with the guys and I love having them here! So as far as I'm concerned, please... stick around!
Vi, I speak for myself when I say that "tolerated" comes off as a slight bit negative. I think most (almost all) of the women here have been absolutely respectful and kind. If an equal percentage of men here were the same to the women, a more wonderful site it could never be.

I see no problem with women bonding here more easily and strongly than with men. I hold no grudge nor would I ever whine about it. It is just the way it is.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #23
Mathias
SAMCRO
 
Mathias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 6,587
Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default

I feel out of place because of my age, and also because I can't articulate my thoughts so well over the internet which is why I don't participate in Hyde Park or whenever an argument seems to happen.
__________________
Did I ever tell you the definition of...insanity?

My wishlist
Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #24
Bafta1
 
Bafta1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: A barren wasteland
Posts: 449
Bafta1 makes people happy simply by logging inBafta1 makes people happy simply by logging inBafta1 makes people happy simply by logging inBafta1 makes people happy simply by logging inBafta1 makes people happy simply by logging inBafta1 makes people happy simply by logging inBafta1 makes people happy simply by logging inBafta1 makes people happy simply by logging inBafta1 makes people happy simply by logging in
Default

I feel out of place because I live on the other side of the world to anyone. I mean, I'm jealous of the meet-ups, especially on the East Coast. More and more people from dims actually get to meet one another, which is wonderful. But it means that the bonds between some are stronger, naturally, that between others. And knowing that it's unlikely that I'll ever have the opportunity to solidify friendships with people, in actuality, makes me feel sad and alienated, as though my connection to people stops where the screen begins.
Bafta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #25
Shosh
Susannah
 
Shosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 9,545
Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bafta1 View Post
I feel out of place because I live on the other side of the world to anyone. I mean, I'm jealous of the meet-ups, especially on the East Coast. More and more people from dims actually get to meet one another, which is wonderful. But it means that the bonds between some are stronger, naturally, that between others. And knowing that it's unlikely that I'll ever have the opportunity to solidify friendships with people, in actuality, makes me feel sad and alienated, as though my connection to people stops where the screen begins.
Mate You are far away? What about me?
Shosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Dimensions Magazine. All rights reserved worldwide.