Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 12-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Microwave Recipes

So, as I posted, our oven broke. We had it fixed, when it decided that it wasn't happy with that and decided to die again. And since it's the time of year where I usually turn into a cake/cookie factory, I'm sorely disappointed. Our new oven is being delivered by the guy who owns the repair shop (it's not really new, but meh, he promises it works) today.

I've been living off of what we can make in my electric frying pan and microwave food, like TV dinners (such as the large frozen turkey slices and packaged mashed potatoes with Green Giant Steamers.) I'm also lucky enough to have a crockpot, so making the Christmas Roast was at least easy. We were also planning on the Pork and Sauerkraut being made that way.

So, while I didn't have an oven, I experimented. And that's when I found this, and even with an oven, I'll be making this again because it's actually pretty good. I tried a prepacked microwave cake that came out greasy a few years ago, so I was hesitant to try this:

http://www.thebittenword.com/thebitt...late-cake.html

Quote:
Directions

Whisk 1/4 cup flour, 5 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 egg, 3 tablespoons milk, 3 tablespoons vegetable oil and a dash of vanilla extract and salt in a large mug until smooth. Microwave until puffed, about 2 minutes.
When I was desperately craving a chocolate fix, this cured it. It was quick, it was easy, and it wasn't terrible. Hooray!

Anyone else have any microwave recipes?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Deven, you can cook almost anything in a microwave that you can cook on a stove or oven. You can brown ground meat, like beef or sausage, but it won't cook steaks and stuff properly, and you can't bake in it. But I use my MW oven all the time to make chili, marinara sauce, hamburger helper, sauces, steam veggies, etc. I bought something called The Pasta Boat at the local CVS, cost about 5 bucks, and in it you can make any kind of pasta or rice. Usually those "As seen on TV" items suck, but The Pasta Boat rocks.

Start with simple things and work your way up to the more complicated. The first thing I learned to cook in the MW was scrambled eggs.

MW Scrambled Eggs:

3 eggs
microwave safe bowl
salt and pepper to taste

In a microwave safe bowl, fork-scramble 3 eggs, add salt and pepper to taste. Place bowl in center of MW and set the timer to 3 minutes. Start the MW on high and watch the bowl carefully. When the egg starts to puff up around the edges of the bowl (about 20-30 seconds or so), stop the MW, break up the eggs with a fork, stir and restart the MW. Watch again til the egg puffs up (10-15 seconds), stop, stir, restart. Continue til the egg reaches the amount of doneness you like. It will take a couple cycles.

For a quickie omelette, I stir in cheese, ham and mushrooms during the last couple cycles. The eggs come out super fluffy and delicious.

I have TONS of microwave recipes, I can post them or you can PM me anytime. The Marinara sauce is particularly delicious.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've never done anything serious in a Mike. Just defrost, steam, or re-heat. ( and the occasional exploded potato) When my oven did the big firework, (no really, the element acted like a big 4th July sparkler.) I also used my electric skillet, crockpot, and campfire dutch oven (with charcoal.. outside).

*considers looking for a pasta boat..*
Old 12-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I've never done anything serious in a Mike. Just defrost, steam, or re-heat. ( and the occasional exploded potato) When my oven did the big firework, (no really, the element acted like a big 4th July sparkler.) I also used my electric skillet, crockpot, and campfire dutch oven (with charcoal.. outside).

*considers looking for a pasta boat..*
I've seen the pasta boat in commercials. I just never trust anything in ads I see on TV. My friend got the hands free stirring device, and it didn't work. It also scratched her pan to all heck.

I had a mountain pie maker, and a camping stove. I just never considered it. Our stove died a slow, painful death. The broiler wires literally burned out. It was rewired. Then, I went to bake something while using the front burner, and the front burner wouldn't work. The oven heated, but it wouldn't stop going up in temperature (we have an oven gauge that hooks to the rack.) He could rewire the broiler, but everything else was a bust. A shame, too. It was an old stove. He brought us one in exchange for one we had (that was an old gas powered one,) and just a delivery fee. Real nice guy, but he has an... interest in my mother that is not reciprocated.

The new one works pretty well, so far. Mom's making mac and cheese with chicken nuggets tonight, so we'll see how it is temperature/time wise.

And I made the microwave cake last night because I was too tired/lazy to throw in a cake mix. Did the trick, and I added some caramel sauce.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've seen lots of reviews of the chocolate mug cake.. looks like something that could be addicting...
Old 12-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevenDoom View Post
I've seen the pasta boat in commercials. I just never trust anything in ads I see on TV. My friend got the hands free stirring device, and it didn't work. It also scratched her pan to all heck.
Most of those As Seen On TV things suck, but the pasta boat actually works as promised! I gave it a shot because I had a CVS gift card, the boat was on sale for $5 and I had nothing to lose. Best $5 ever spent that wasn't on dark chocolate.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #7
SuzyQutsy

SuzyQutsy has super-sized repSuzyQutsy has super-sized repSuzyQutsy has super-sized repSuzyQutsy has super-sized rep

fish is amazing in the microwave and another way you can make cakes is pudding style by steaming them.

Last edited by SuzyQutsy; 01-05-2012 at 12:54 AM.
SuzyQutsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

With parboiled/converted rice, add 2.25 cups of water to every one cup of rice in a large pyrex dish, heat for 5 mins, stir, then somewhat cover (need a gap for pressure release) and cook 20-25 minutes until water looks completely absorbed at the bottom. Then take it out, uncover, and let sit for 2-5 minutes to absorb all water and so it doesn't get starchy/sticky. Then, with a fork, fluff the rice and serve.

I like to add bouillon cubes to my water before cooking to give a lil flavour.

By the way, I cook basically everything in the microwave unless it's too big. My microwave is going capoute because of over-use.

Last edited by CarlaSixx; 01-05-2012 at 08:52 AM.
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
Deven
Wendigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQutsy View Post
fish is amazing in the microwave and another way you can make cakes is pudding style by steaming them.
There are some fish that come in steamer packets in the frozen section. I don't typically eat fish, but I was told to try Tilapia by a friend, so I bought some... I'll try it later this week...