Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board

Old 07-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Seeking Advice

I did a search and could not see a thread for just advice on all things. I didn't want to make there thread about one topic in particular. I just wanted a general thread where people can ask questions about anything dims and non dims related to get advice. (Everything from dying your hair color to whether or not you should get married or divorced. I want it to be a thread where people can get good sound advice.)

I will start. I need advice about work. About 2 years ago I turned down a position because financially it would not have been smart to take it. That position is available again. Here is my problem.

Cons:

-The financial aspect has not changed. It would still cost me a bit more to travel there for work. (Major since I just financed a new car and I pay 3 tuitions, plus all of my other bills.)

-I would be taxed more because I will be working in a different state. Those are the down sides to the job. (Which means less money in my paycheck after taxes.)

Pros:

- I will not be in constant contact with my manager.
- I will work in an office by myself.
- I will not have to deal with the office politics as in my current office.
- I get paid the same to do less work.

I need advice on whether or not I should take it for peace of mind, or suck it up and stay at my office that is more cost effective.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

**Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please move to the correct forum. Thanks!)
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
wrestlingguy
"Bitter Old Man"

wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Sometimes peace of mind is a raise in and of itself. Is your current position a high stressed one? Do you look forward to leaving at the end of the day?

Also, how much longer of a commute is it for you?

The financial aspect can be lessened if you have the ability to carpool with someone. Whether you or they drive, let's face it, splitting the cost of gas can potentially make the new job on par with your current one.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
mp7251

mp7251 does more than just post hot picsmp7251 does more than just post hot picsmp7251 does more than just post hot pics

Like WG said, do you hate going to work presently? Is there a long time future and advancement available in either position? Does one expect you to work overtime without compensation? Are medical benefits a factor? Is there a 401K where employer meets part of your investment? There are a lot of things to weigh.
mp7251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Would the travel time be much different on a normal day? What about when weather is bad? (time spent on commuting can be a big difference in life satisfaction, I think)
Old 07-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Travel

- Bad weather, I would go into the office in the city instead of the CT office or work from home.
- Time traveling is about the same.
- Cost of traveling would almost double
- No carpool

Benefits

_ My benefits would stay the same because it is the same company and it is considered a lateral move.
- I would be paying more in taxes since it is another state so less in my pay.

Compensation

- OT would still be the same as it is now because it is the same "department"
- I am already capped so I won't get any more raises.

Future advancement

- I don't see any openings to move up and I don't see my manager of his manager making an effort to either move me into another position where the cap changes, or working on a plan to compensate me in any other way.

** For me the compensation would be in getting away from my manager and his 2 favorite lackies and have some peace of mind.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

More questions:

- Would the work be any different/would you have any opportunities to do anything new?
- Have you looked for work at other companies that are closer?
- Have you looked at how well your budget could adjust, especially if gas prices shoot back up again in a year or two? (I suspect that it will be longer than that, but better safe than sorry!)

Not hating to go into work is worth quite a lot! But to me it feels like this is a fairly painful way to achieve that
Old 07-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

I love the company, hate my co-workers. I don't hate coming in to work just yet, but I dread coming into work.

Work

-As for as work I would have less work to do than I do now. I would have to actively search for things to do. (Not really a problem for me because I like to find new projects to work on)

I haven't done a search at other companies, because I really do love the company I work for. This company is really people oriented which is rare for the corporate world. The problem is not the company, but my pain in the ass jealous manager. He likes to micro manage me, not to make sure that work gets done, but to make sure that he is "attached" to any work I do because many managers and partners ask me to do work for them.

I think it might just be best to stay where I am and maybe go back to school. Then once I have my MBA, then move to another company where I can be the manager or open my own company.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #8
bbwbud

bbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybbwbud is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Take the move, so then your manager won't be over your shoulder when you post here and we can enjoy your company! Really, you should do what ever makes you feel better and plan the big move when you get your MBA.
bbwbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #9
Tad
mostly harmless

Taking the new job, would you report to someone different?
Old 07-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #10
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

Thanks bbwbud... @ Tad.. I would still report to the same manager... I just woukd be in the same office as him.. and he never visits the other offices..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #11
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My first impulse is to say take it because being away from the boss in your own office sounds like a sweet deal. Less work for same pay sounds good, too, however, I'm worried about the "more cost" aspects you have mentioned. Can you afford to do this?

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #12
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post

Work

-As for as work I would have less work to do than I do now. I would have to actively search for things to do. (Not really a problem for me because I like to find new projects to work on)
Since you're capped, a good project -- should you take the new job -- might be exploring other companies to see if they have better opportunities for promotion. Another might be updating your resume. And a job with less work to do might be ideal for somebody working on her MBA ... See? I can think up all kinds of stuff for you to do! (I love watching other people work)
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #13
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lol.. thanks Doc.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:14 PM   #14
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Will the new job pay for your MBA? It would be nice if that is possible;in addition, just planning for graduate school involves it's own set of consideration regarding best schools, the time and expense etc. etc.

[SIGPIC]http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/image.php?u=841&type=sigpic&dateline=1258169105[/SIGPIC]
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:58 AM   #15
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

Tony, the company I work for will cover the cost of the MBA. Living in NYC there are plenty of good business schools and colleges I can go to. Which is why I am considering taking advantage of the tuitions reimbursement and just going for my MBA.

Or maybe I should just do what a lot of others do. Find a position at another company in a higher rank/position (meaning management/supervisor, because that is the next step up from where I am currently). Then after 2-3 years in that position, apply back at this company as a supervisor/manager position.

(** totally off topic, I just realized I have a yellow can! Yeah me!)
Old 07-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #16
Tad
mostly harmless

I'm also seeking advice, also vaguely job related -- but actually about using Linkedin.

Some years ago I signed up for the site but really didn't make much use of it. I put in the companies I'd worked at, and two or three times a year I'd log in and accept any contact requests I'd had, but that was it.

I'm starting to look around at other job possibilities, and I guess one of the things I need to do is make better use of Linkedin, if only to look like I'm living in the 21st century. Looking at pages of a couple of people who know what they are doing, they have a huge number of connections, pretty much their entire resume up on there, and an impressive list of people who have written about how wonderful they are. So I'm way, way, off from where I guess I 'should' be.

Has anyone bootstrapped their presence on Linkedin, and have suggestions about you reasonably quickly establish more of a presence on there? (preferably without being a huge pest to people? But maybe that is part of the process?)
Old 07-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #17
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I hate linkedin in the same way I hate paypal. It is nonsensical, but its this sort of low level aversion. That being said, I now strongly make use of it to keep in contact with all the contractors and people I work with. When you put my name in Google it totally knows who I am and brings me up right away. (Which is also kinda creepy - the Google! It knows everything!)

If you want a strong presence with linkedin, connections are unfortunately the way to go. And keep searching for yourself and finding your profile - basic web analytics. Having an unusual first or last name also helps! Oh, and endorsements, although I sometimes find those annoying.

Connections aren't considered being a pest to most people that use it. The connection itself basically says..."Do you know Tad?" other than that, it isn't really a pestering activity, because the person simply says "Yes" and it is done.

To be blunt I connected to my old VPs, directors, managers...that is how I got my last credential. Asked my old manager if he would vouch for me! That was the hard part for me...connecting "up" - but then a few execs said they love keeping in contact with linked in, and it has become the executive bread and butter.

So go for it! You can also connect to your friend's friends. It isn't really weird anymore, and is pretty expected - and because no one gives out super personal info on LinkedIn, there isn't a feeling of privacy invasion that one might get on something like Facebook.
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #18
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
I hate linkedin in the same way I hate paypal.
I generally dislike ‘mandatory optional’ things. You know, all the ‘If you want to be taken seriously of course you have to stay late at work on a regular basis—but overtime is optional’ and ‘Sure you can stay active anyway you want, but unless you go to a gym or are part of a group or supervised by a trainer we aren’t going to take what you do seriously’ and of course ‘You can use sites like Facebook and Linkedin however you want, or not at all, but if you are not actively networking you will be found wanting.’ (I guess ‘mandatory’ isn’t quite the right word, but you get what I mean).

I shouldn’t sneer at networking, given that four of the seven jobs I’ve held came about at least in part because of my ‘network.’ But that was the natural, organic, network of friends, co-workers, family, etc. I feel like now it is “Let’s whip out our networks and see whose is bigger!” you know? Being judged by your formal network, that what was a means to an end has become an end in itself.

Or maybe I’m just old and curmudgeonly Then again, my wife is even worse in this regard -- I have accounts I've not made much use of, she doesn't even have accounts.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #19
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I feel like now it is “Let’s whip out our networks and see whose is bigger!”
First of all: This. so this!!
Secondly: Bahahaha!

Also: not mandatory...obligatory?

I'm too antisocial in general to have a "real" network . The only reason I even have as many as I do is that I was working in 100% projectized department for 3 years - met a lot of people who networked me...I just log in once a quarter and add people I've worked with recently. Usually after whining as hard as I do while updating my resume...which is an even bigger "lets whip it out" situation!

----

My own ask for advice:

Flooring for the upstairs. When we moved in, we inherited 14 year old navy blueish 'builder' carpet. Not only is it hideous, it is worn thin and now smells like animals. I have two aussies and soon to be two cats. I loathe carpet because it is impossible to keep clean and scent free. My guy on the other hand, loves nice carpet and his second choice is hardwood.

But we are pretty rough on the flooring, and with two dogs they have already scuffed up our ugly parquet flooring. I suggested tile but a) my husband is like who would do tile upstairs? and b) OMG ITS EXPENSIVE! (Now, by tile I mean flagstone type flooring that we could put carpet over.)

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestion on flooring for the upstairs (a bedroom, a hallway and two offices) that :
a) doesn't hold scent
b) doesn't stain
c) can withstand two 40-50lb dogs skittering over it, dropping cow bones on its surface, and general rough treatment
d) isn't slippery when wet

Last edited by Xyantha Reborn; 07-22-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Also: not mandatory...obligatory?
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #20
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

Unfortunately LinkedIn is part of doing business this day. But I agree with you, it sucks!
Old 07-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #21
Tad
mostly harmless

It isn't my favorite flooring, but some of the laminate floorings are engineered to be pretty darn tough. I'd think it is one of those things where you'd need to do your research, because I'm suspect laminate varies from 'cheap and easily damaged' to 'you could drive on it occasionally.'

But more seriously what I'd do, if one of you is willing to put yourself through it, is go into a high end flooring store and talk to them. You may or may not end up buying from them, but at least you'd hear from people who really know their stuff (hopefully).
Old 07-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #22
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

I agree with Tad. I would also add, going to a pet store. They might also have some suggestions.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #23
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwbud View Post
Take the move, so then your manager won't be over your shoulder when you post here and we can enjoy your company! Really, you should do what ever makes you feel better and plan the big move when you get your MBA.
My daughter finished grad school last year. She had multiple job offers. She actually chose the lowest paying one because it was the one she thought she'd enjoy the most. A year later she's been promoted and is interviewing for a better job with another employer who generally doesn't hire new grads. If you like your job situation success is more likely.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #24
fat hiker

fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I shouldn’t sneer at networking, given that four of the seven jobs I’ve held came about at least in part because of my ‘network.’ But that was the natural, organic, network of friends, co-workers, family, etc. I feel like now it is “Let’s whip out our networks and see whose is bigger!” you know? Being judged by your formal network, that what was a means to an end has become an end in itself.
Tad, the only people who I've ever met who see a LinkedIn network as an end in itself were in PR and real estate - and they were a minority. LinkedIn is just a tool, an electronic yet organic network of friends and colleagus.

So, how best to use LinkedIn to explore job opportunities? Put your whole resume up on LinkedIn - a skills-based or functional resume works better than a chronological one. Add details about each job, especially skills and accomplishments. If you do volunteer stuff, add that. Ask more people to be contacts - don't be shy, we all know it's for professional and career reasons. Previous supervisors are especially valuable, as are contacts in other companies - but don't hesitate to ask people from other parts of your life. If you volunteer, ask other people who volunteer with you. If you are still in contact with old college friends, ask them.

At the college, we've had students who were told by prospective employers - don't bother sending us a resume, send us a link to your LinkedIn page. I have received unsolicited job offers on mine - and a lot of job ads come my way too. LinkedIn itself has lots of tips on what makes a great page. So, go for it!
Old 07-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #25
Tad
mostly harmless

Hiker--maybe it is just that the people who have talked to me about Linkedin were of the 'true believer' type who were proselytizing? But I'll stop whining about it and get updates done, even if it still feels very, very, weird to me.