Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default It's Oatmeal Season!

When the weather cools down, I start craving oatmeal for breakfast. Yesterday I made oatmeal seasoned with brown sugar, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. A steaming bowl of heaven.

Declare your oatmeal love!
Old 11-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
littlefairywren
Chi Chi

littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!

Yum!!

I love it with brown sugar and cold thick cream. So decadent, but nomnomnom!
Old 11-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I usually make steel cut oats in my rice cooker, it comes out fluffy and moist....add brown sugar, butter, and dried cranberries. YUM!
CrankySpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankySpice View Post
I usually make steel cut oats in my rice cooker, it comes out fluffy and moist....add brown sugar, butter, and dried cranberries. YUM!
Raisins and dates are also great in oatmeal.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:40 AM   #5
isamarie69
Live and let die!!!

isamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticed

Man I can not eat sweet oatmeal. My family is all scottish, When I was small they would serve it to us with lotsa butter and brown sugar. While they all ate it with loads of salt. To me its so much better salty. I make it dence and salty with ice cold milk, and I use the milk in small portions so it continues to give me that hot cold contrast. There is definitely an art form to eating oatmeal lol. And I would never eat those instant packets eewwo. However I do prefer the quick oats because they seem to set heavier then the normal oats.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:54 AM   #6
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I love brown sugar, butter, maple syrup and cinnamon in my oatmeal, it's really sweet and sticky great with French toast, which is the only way I eat oatmeal.

I love instant packs though, I ate them a lot as a kid...Peaches and Cream, Apple Cinnamon, and Maple Brown Sugar were my favorites, and recently the Blueberry is a regular thing around our house.

Does anyone remember in the late 90's instant oatmeal came with little packets of raspberry and strawberry jam? You made shapes on your oatmeal, like art....ugh yeah....
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
archivaltype
shake n bake

archivaltype has super-sized reparchivaltype has super-sized reparchivaltype has super-sized reparchivaltype has super-sized rep

Oatmeal!! I love it so much. Nothing is more deliciously satisfying on a cold fall/winter morning/noon/night.
I eat mine with lotsa brown sugar and milk and toaaaaaast. I looooove dipping a little corner of toast into the oats. nom nom nom.

:confused:
archivaltype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Mmmmm. Yesterday I had regular, old fashioned oatmeal, cooked with dried cranberries and cinnamon, then added a couple spoonfuls of flax meal, a cut up banana, drizzled with brown rice syrup and half and half. It was delicious.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I mix a frozen berry mix into my oatmeal with a little splenda and vanilla soy milk.
HottiMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
jewels_mystery
Urban Hippie

jewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going on

I love my steel oats in the morning. I throw in some cinnamon, dash of vanilla and a splash of french vanilla coffee mate. yumm
Old 12-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
Dromond
Old school

BUMP!

Yummy, delicious oatmeal. Maple syrup + oatmeal = NOM.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #12
tinkerbell

tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've been tempted to use pumpkin pie spice, but I wasn't sure how it would taste! I must try this now!

I love oatmeal, I like mixing in yogurt, it tastes like the flavor packets, but a little healthier.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Hot oatmeal with lots of cream and either sugar and a bit of butter or pancake syrup (I know, I'm a heathen--I prefer Mrs. Butterworth to real maple syrup lol)

Sometimes a sliced banana and some cinnamon too but always with cream.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
(I know, I'm a heathen--I prefer Mrs. Butterworth to real maple syrup lol)
I'm a heathen, too. I know pancake syrup is HFCS + artificial flavoring, but I love it!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
Dromond
Old school

HERETICS! Burn them!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #16
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamarie69 View Post
Man I can not eat sweet oatmeal. My family is all scottish, When I was small they would serve it to us with lotsa butter and brown sugar. While they all ate it with loads of salt. To me its so much better salty. I make it dence and salty with ice cold milk, and I use the milk in small portions so it continues to give me that hot cold contrast. There is definitely an art form to eating oatmeal lol. And I would never eat those instant packets eewwo. However I do prefer the quick oats because they seem to set heavier then the normal oats.

This is EXACTLY how I have mine! I sneak a bit of double (heavy) cream into the milk too, so the milk is how it was when I was a child and they still left the cream on the top of the milk in the bottle. Heavenly. Unsurprisingly, I'm Scottish Sweet makes me gag when it comes to porridge. I too, love the cold, hot contrast. My mum made us porridge like that every day in winter, so we went out to school like little boilers, however icy or cold it was, lol.

Last edited by Ruby Ripples; 12-11-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #17
Captain Save
never had a 40

Location: At the bottom of the coffee cup, with lots of chocolates and pastries.
Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I pour boiling water over a bowl of old fashioned oats with dried cranberries at the bottom and cover it until it's done, stirring once or twice. While that's going, I microwave a Granny Smith in a bowl, cut, cored, and cubed, with a heavy sprinkle of cinnamon. When that's done, I add the two together, stir, and graze until I'm warm and relaxed with heavy eyelids on the living room couch...

Now that I've seen this thread, I know what I'm having for dinner tonight. In the morning it wil be pancakes, swimming in syrup and butter...oh, that? Ignore that gallon of Mrs. Butterworth's on the countertop; that's for, uh, guests, yeah, guests...you never know when the kids will stop by for breakfast, right?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #18
activistfatgirl
donuts at the finish line

activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishty View Post

Does anyone remember in the late 90's instant oatmeal came with little packets of raspberry and strawberry jam? You made shapes on your oatmeal, like art....ugh yeah....
I know I'm necro-quoting this, but omg, I remember that. I think I would puke if I had to eat that now, but then it was awesome!

I was doctor ordered to start eating breakfast, and oatmeal it is. I've been eating Nature's Gate instant packets, but it's kinda meh. I don't have time to cook real oatmeal, but this idea of making the real stuff in a rice cooker has me very intrigued. How does everyone else make it? Instant vs. cooked, etc?
Old 12-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #19
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by activistfatgirl View Post
I know I'm necro-quoting this, but omg, I remember that. I think I would puke if I had to eat that now, but then it was awesome!

I was doctor ordered to start eating breakfast, and oatmeal it is. I've been eating Nature's Gate instant packets, but it's kinda meh. I don't have time to cook real oatmeal, but this idea of making the real stuff in a rice cooker has me very intrigued. How does everyone else make it? Instant vs. cooked, etc?
I make a a bunch of real oatmeal the night before and then put it in single serving containers. It's perfect.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #20
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Packet oatmeal, any variety, and then I add in the little individual Trader Joe's trail mix packets. They are single serve nuts and dried fruits and make a perfect addition. I will get the bulk stuff when I can't get my TJ fix, and then add in a few tablespoons. I have an old fashioned electric kettle (one in the office and one at home), boil water and off I go. I think it is better than cooking in the microwave and takes about the same time. Plus you have water for tea.

Any one seen the advertisements for the tiny bite size dried plums? Yeah raisin sized prune bits, but I think it would be nice to try. But not sure if it would be before the morning commute
EvilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #21
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

In the 1970s, My mother made Quaker regular oats almost every winter school-day morning. Ritually, I would add a little milk, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and a pat of butter.

I don't think I've even purchased instant oatmeal for years. (Instant grits, yes.. but that's another thread..)
Old 12-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #22
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

I love McCann's steel cut oats that are the quick make style. They take about 7 minutes, but are well worth it. Then add a bit of butter and some honey. So good. I get mine in bulk packages from Amazon and it is about 18. for six boxes with free shipping. In Walmart, the boxes are about 5. bucks each.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #23
Skye23

Skye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Trader Joes used to sell packages of frozen oatmeal, the real kind but precooked and ready to go - it was pretty good too. Just a couple mins in the microwave and it was done. I think they still sell it but I haven't bought any since last winter so I'm not sure.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #24
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I tried making oatmeal in the rice cooker yesterday. The result was absolutely perfect! Yum! Plus, I got some healthful aerobic exercise afterwards trying to scrape out the rice cooker. Talk about adhesive!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #25
BubbleButtBabe
No one cares anyway

BubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging in

Long cook oats with a little butter,a little milk and very little sugar,with toast and sausage on the side..MMMMM Just like my Daddy use to make..

Only two miracles are worth seeing:
The miracle of loving
And
The miracle of forgiving-Sri Chinmoy
BubbleButtBabe is offline   Reply With Quote