Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 02-03-2006, 08:17 AM   #26
Happy FA
Loving Lovely Large Lady

Happy FA has super-sized repHappy FA has super-sized repHappy FA has super-sized repHappy FA has super-sized rep
Default Don't you dare cook that any more

I like my good quality beef cooked no more than rare. Of course what is meant by rare seems to vary greatly from place to place. In some places rare means that they cook it to the same medium well done as any other request, which sends the useless shoe leather back to the kitchen where it generally is replaced by something that has not actually hit the grill but was apparently waved over it at a distance by the PO'ed grill cook and is now totally raw. Such places are one shot wonders and by that time I usually have them remove the useless piece of meat which I've made enough cuts in to assure that no other diner can receive it in this form.

In better places the waitstaff will drone on about cool pink centers, warm pink centers, cool red centers..... For me, this is bizarre.. what I like is a warm red center, so the meat has been tenderized by the cooking and I don't have to chew each bite eighty or a hundred times but the flavor hasn't been burnt off.

One of the best things about a good quality steak house is that they grill on ultra hot grills of over 1000 degrees which sears the surfaces very rapidly creating a delicious crusty surface(particularly if they've applied some salt which aids in this crust formation) and locking in the juices. In this way the center can be deliciously tasty and soft and tender which contrasts so well with the charred exterior. Almost like a rare steak sandwich with the crusty exterior on each bite being like the "bread" to the rare steak within.

If the meat is cooked anymore than medium rare, which in my view would be about an eighth of an inch of browned edge on each surface with a red or pink center it's inedible. And, I send it back unless I'm in a place like a diner or low-rent restaurant not of my choosing where there's no possibility that they could get it right(and shame on me for ordering steak in such a place).

Of course, my father and brother always want their food well well done and ask for the end cut on Prime Rib because its cooked the most. In fact, when my brother is at my house and we make burgers on the barbecue grill his standing order is.... cook it till you think its well done and then leave it on for another ten minutes. How he can eat that carbonized inedible dry monstrosity is totally beyond me. But, having read Anthony Bourdain's a Cook's Tale, I know he's the lifesaver for restaurants who can get rid of the bad and rotting meat to guys like him because they won't know the difference if their meat is cooked that much. Uggggh.
Happy FA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:19 AM   #27
MLadyJ

MLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot pics
Default Meat...mmmmmm

I love steak and eat mine medium rare. I like roast beef the same way. I am pretty much an unrepentent carnivore. My very favorite cut is a large, thick and well marbled rib-eye. I have a friend that comes to visit and she #1 hates fat (on meat) and #2 can't stand any pink at all!! To boot she likes only filet mignon ..and absolutely butchers it to remove the slightest vestige of fat. We all laugh..but what a waste of fabulous meat (Sorry N.H. if I ratted you out!!) I am REALLY hungry right now and not a cow in sight!!
MLadyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #28
VinnyPA

VinnyPA can now change their title
Default rare...very rare

Other than pork, I take my meat very rare. When ordering something at a restaurant I tell them "as rare as you can legally serve it". Or sometimes I tell them to chain the cow to the table, shave a portion of it, and give me a fork (that is sometimes optional).
VinnyPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #29
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft
Oh behave, I didn't mean THAT
I see you anticipated my answer Randi! LOL Good catch.

I like my steak Rare - yummy!!!!
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #30
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I like my steak medium well and (steak enthusiasts, turn your heads) drowned in A-1 Sauce!

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #31
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
So what's black n blue? Pepper and blue cheese?
Simply put, Yes. One steak house nearby has a spicy pepper rub, and they use these high temp broiling ovens. And then they smother the steak in blue cheese crumbles (although I think the menu read Roquefort) and broil it just enough. Don't need any steak sauce with it prepared that way.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:59 PM   #32
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina
My father used to just pinch a glob off the package of ground beef and eat it just that way. Made me shudder.
My dad did the same thing!!! Ewwwww!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #33
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinker
Yee.

In an unfortunate turn of events, I looked at the forum overview and saw "How do you take your meat?", followed by "Fuzzy".

Hmm...No thanks.
Aw come on, you can always scrape it off!! Picky picky.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 02-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #34
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy FA
...they grill on ultra hot grills of over 1000 degrees which sears the surfaces very rapidly creating a delicious crusty surface(particularly if they've applied some salt which aids in this crust formation) and locking in the juices. In this way the center can be deliciously tasty and soft and tender which contrasts so well with the charred exterior....
Happy, as always, you tempt me. You tantalize me. You torture me!

Coincidentally, I was just talking today to a friend about how much I like my steak to have a crispy crust. And then I read this tonight. Sigh....

I think I need a damn fine steak. And SOON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy FA
......Of course, my father and brother always want their food well well done and ...when my brother is at my house and we make burgers on the barbecue grill his standing order is.... cook it till you think its well done and then leave it on for another ten minutes. How he can eat that carbonized inedible dry monstrosity is totally beyond me.....
Are you sure you're related to them? I find it hard to believe they could be so CALLOUS with good meat.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #35
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think you're gonna have to use a little more elbow grease to get me off your steak.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:11 AM   #36
BBWDREAMLOVER
The belly rules the mind.

BBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Oh behave, I didn't mean THAT

I love beef medium rare. If my steak or burger is cooked more it is absolutely RUINED for me.

What about you?
Well, not into eating animal blood ewwwwwww
BBWDREAMLOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #37
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes
VERY well done. I usually ask them to start the meat prep before that of the peopel with whom I'm eating. If it's pink at all--me no likey!

Jes, I'm with ya too on this. I'm not much of a slab of meat person. I eat meat but not tons. I rarely (pun intended) eat steak, could care less for prime rib and detest weird items like tongue!! YUCK.

Even worse? Those people who feel the need to tell me I AM WRONG for not eating meat bloody and moo-ing.
ValentineBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:20 PM   #38
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I like meduim rare. But Im not a big fan of steak, the only part I really like is the fat when it gets crispy. I hate prime rib it smells funny to me.

I say this all the time. Im a burger girl I love them, but medium rare.
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:42 PM   #39
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina
My father used to just pinch a glob off the package of ground beef and eat it just that way.
Just another me too post. My step dad did this all the time while he was grilling. Except he would pinch it off, salt it then eat it. My mother would holler, but he would slip us some on the sly. He also gave us raw sausage he had just made from our pigs.

I don't eat either of these things now. I guess maybe he was trying to off us kids quietly .
Old 02-06-2006, 10:05 AM   #40
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Oh yeah I remember that. My Great Grandfather use to do that. I remember thinking how gross.
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:50 PM   #41
candygodiva
Just like you imagined...

candygodiva makes people happy simply by logging incandygodiva makes people happy simply by logging incandygodiva makes people happy simply by logging incandygodiva makes people happy simply by logging incandygodiva makes people happy simply by logging incandygodiva makes people happy simply by logging incandygodiva makes people happy simply by logging incandygodiva makes people happy simply by logging incandygodiva makes people happy simply by logging in

MMmmm Make mine bloody! Just chop the horns off and send r in! Be sure to bring a band aid.
I just love the flavor of rare beef. Just a minute or two on each side depending on thickness. I wouldn't turn my nose up if it were slightly red even. As long as the temperature is right inside to have killed off any bacteria, then I'm A OK!
candygodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:32 AM   #42
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

I don't really like beef much as a whole, but when I eat it, I want it rare, slightly chilly on the inside.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:35 AM   #43
Boteroesque Babe
All cookies cleared!

Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
How do you take your meat?
With my head back and my eyes closed. Whilst thinking of England.

Sorry, Sove. I don't wanna go for the easy jokes. I just gotta.
"If you stand on a soapbox and trade rhetoric with a dictator you never win. That's what they do so well; they seduce people. But if you ridicule them, bring them down with laughter, they can't win." ~ Mel Brooks

"The country is run by extremists, 'cause moderates have shit to do." ~ Jon Stewart

"And she doesn't wear polyester except when she's kidding."~ Egbert Souse
Boteroesque Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:17 AM   #44
Kimberleigh
gardening, mostly.

Kimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boteroesque Babe

Sorry, Sove. I don't wanna go for the easy jokes. I just gotta.
You close your eyes? Me? I like to see....and as for steak? Rare, passed twice above the candle.
Kimberleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:17 PM   #45
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

sweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going on

Dead and cooked, preferably!

- J. Garcia
- R. Hunter
sweetnnekked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:16 PM   #46
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Show the cow the stove, and cut me off a peice.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:37 PM   #47
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

smothered in shorts..

OH wait..not that kind of meat..LOL

I like medium well
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:54 AM   #48
swamptoad
Berry Good!

swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!

It's got to be well-done!

I appreciate it if its not burnt, though.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:08 AM   #49
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

Grilled, rare, with blue cheese and garlic butter. Hope it's nice enough this weekend to grill.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:58 AM   #50
BeaBea
Man up or move on!

BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boteroesque Babe
You think of England? Lol, not even I do that and I'm actually here!

Seriously though, seared crusty on the outside and bloody rare inside, well seasoned with salt and black pepper please. (And now its not even lunchtime and all I can think of is steak!)

Tracey

www.beabea.co.uk
BeaBea is offline   Reply With Quote