Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 12-01-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
Cat
Gone baby gone

Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Iron Foodee Challenge for December

The secret key ingredient -- oranges.
You can use the zest, pulp or juice in your recipe. It can be a main dish, salad, soup or dessert or anything in between.

While it may seem to be an odd selection for this holiday month, I often think of oranges in Christmas stockings. It's a fairly traditional stocking stuffer from what I understand. Probably because it's good for those frigid months where vitamin C is in short supply.

While SVS mentioned that this isn't an actual contest, I am going to pony up a $10 Amazon gift certificate for this month's Challenge "winner" to make it all a bit interesting.

Recipes, (original or otherwise) should be posted as a reply to this post by December 26th. I'll put up a ballot on December 27th to December 31st where everyone can vote on their favorites. The recipe with the highest number of votes will be "crowned" the Iron Foodee for the month. I will then contact the winning chef to determine where to send the electronic gift certificate.

I would think that including photos and specific reviews would get you many more votes, so plan accordingly. Also, while orange doesn't need to be the main ingredient, the flavor should come through on some level.

Did I cover it all? I hope so.

Good luck!!
Old 12-01-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Great great great! Excellent choice of ingredient and a fun twist - a contest!

Now to put my thinking cap on
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
Emma
On Timeout

Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!

I don't know how to cook but i think i might try lol
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:54 PM   #4
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurvyEm
I don't know how to cook but i think i might try lol
Trying is what it's all about
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:00 AM   #5
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
It's a fairly traditional stocking stuffer from what I understand. Probably because it's good for those frigid months where vitamin C is in short supply.
Back in the olden days (like maybe all of 60-70 years) before transportation was reliable, quick and reasonably priced, an orange was an exotic item. Seeing them in the market was rare and they were never cheap, therefore having one in your stocking was quite a treat unless you lived in Florida or California. This is the explanation my Mom gave us from her experience growing up in north central Minnesots in the 40's.

My two favorite ways to use OJ (frozen concentrate, it's more intense) are disgustingly easy.

#1. Orange cream cheese frosting - 3 to 4 ozs cream cheese, 2 Tbs butter, 2-3 Tbs oj concentrate and powdered sugar. Beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy, beat in oj. Beat in powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached. Frost cake, my faves are spice and carrot. If you leave the icing a little gooey, it starts to sink into the cake.

#2. Prep whole chicken for roasting. Quarter and insert whole orange where sun don't shine (in the chicken!) and place chicken on rack in roaster pan. In a small pan melt 2 Tbs butter with a clove or 2 of minced garlic (or however many you can handle ), add a couple Tbs of honey and 2-3 Tbs of oj concentrate. Baste chicken with this mix every 10 minutes or so until juices run clear. The pan juices from this make the best damn gravy and the chicken is pretty fine too.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:17 AM   #6
MLadyJ

MLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot pics

I saw an interesting use for oranges on tv a while back. You use a mandolin slicer and slice the oranges very, very thinly. Dust them with sugar (the regular kind) and then either dehydrate them or put on a cookie sheet and in the oven at a low temp ( I think it was 200) until crispy (not burned.) and then you can use them as garnishes or EAT them sort of like chips....Now I have to admit that I haven't tried this yet..but it sure sounds GOOD!!

Oh and how could I forget...Mimosas..what could be better than orange juice and champagne..
MLadyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:14 AM   #7
Emma
On Timeout

Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!

My ideas are:

Duck stuffed with mushrooms, with a stilton and orange cheese sauce.

Or

Chocolate orange cookies :P

So no one steal them :P
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:26 AM   #8
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday
...Prep whole chicken for roasting. Quarter and insert whole orange where sun don't shine (in the chicken!)...
OMG this had me laughing hysterically! Glad you know you need to explain every step to us - especially if we'll be taking pics of our efforts

btw, both of those recipes sound delicious!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 12-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #9
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Well, this isn't my official entry, and it's not a recipe, but it is a seasonal use of the orange. For a holiday centerpiece, stud an orange with whole cloves... the fragrance is wonderful! Of course, it only lasts a couple of weeks. My mom used to have me do this each year for Christmas when I was growing up. Of course, nowadays whole cloves are, like 5-6 bucks for a little container, not enough to generously cover an orange, so it isn't exactly cheap.
Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #10
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

Check at a restaurant supply place (like a Cash and Carry) or even Costco for whole cloves Risible. I find that I can get an 8 oz container of most spices for about what you pay for that itty bitty bottle at the grocery. It's more than worth it to buy big bottles of the ones I use a lot of.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:26 AM   #11
MassiveMike

MassiveMike can now change their title
Default My Orange recipe

Hi all! Haven't posted in while so I figured I should join in. Especially seeing as I have a holiday recipe I discovered and tweaked a few years ago. I make it several times a year during this season and it uses orange.

Cranberry Sauce with Orange

Ingredients:
2tsp Orange Zest
3/4 Cup liquid (juice of orange with water added to make it 3/4 C)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar packed
1 bag of fresh cranberries (12oz usually)

Steps:
1. Combine liquid and Brown sugar in heavy sauce pan over medium heat stirring til sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to a boil.

2. Add berries and zest, stir. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until berries pop.

3. Cool completely. Will last about a week in the fridge.

Soooooooo yummy! And it jells up nicely. It is easy too and a crowd pleaser. Great with all sorts of dishes. I also like mixing some with mayo to make a great topper for a turkey sandwich.

Enjoy!
Mike
MassiveMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:07 AM   #12
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Just for clarification, a single recipe using the secret ingredient or a meal using it?
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:00 AM   #13
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy
Just for clarification, a single recipe using the secret ingredient or a meal using it?

Single recipe, Fuzz.

Or enter several. More chances to win!

And...I think pics will give people an edge. You need to make the recipe, not just suggest it.

Cat, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #14
Cat
Gone baby gone

Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm on the same page, SVS.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #15
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday
Check at a restaurant supply place (like a Cash and Carry) or even Costco for whole cloves Risible. I find that I can get an 8 oz container of most spices for about what you pay for that itty bitty bottle at the grocery. It's more than worth it to buy big bottles of the ones I use a lot of.
Friday,

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestion!
Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #16
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have 3 recipes I'm practicing right now
Old 12-04-2006, 11:59 AM   #17
Cat
Gone baby gone

Default Not an entry...just an example

Not an entry...just an example! I think i've posted these before, but they're good enough to post again, 'cuz it's cookie season!

I make these every Christmas time. It's got a delicate yet send-able consistancy. The flavors are cinnamon, chocolate with a subtle hint of orange. Just enough orange to make ya go "hmmmm...yummm".

Cinnamon-Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 cup butter / room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp. orange zest
1-1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
2 egg yolks
1-3/4 cups flour
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
cinnamon sugar

Directions:
Combine the butter, sugar, zest, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Beat until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and beat again until fluffy. Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour, chips and mix just until incorporated. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface. Divide in half. Roll each piece to form a log 1-1/2" in diameter. (You can, as I have done in the photo above, shape the logs to make hearts, squares, etc.) Wrap logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm -- about an hour or more. Preheat oven to 350. Unwrap the dough and cut each log into rounds about 1/4" thick. Put on baking sheet about 1-1/2" apart. Bake until edges are brown -- about 15 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and cool about 5 minutes. Put the cinnamon sugar in a bowl. Add warm cookies and toss to coat. Return cookies to rack and let cool completely. Repeat with remaining cookies. Enjoy!
Old 12-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #18
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

Here's my recipe:

4 Juice oranges
1 sharp knife
1 orange juicer
1 tall glass with ice

Slice the oranges in half
Squeeze them into the tall glass with ice using the juicer

Sip slowly.

You can add mint for an exotic flair - or Vodka for a treat.
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:46 PM   #19
missaf

Default Recipe #1

Brined Turkey Breast
with orange and clove Aromatics

Brine:

In a large stock pot large enough to hold 1 full turkey breast cage, combine 1/4 of the pot with vegetable stock, 1/4 with water, and the following:

1 teaspoon peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon Allspice berries
2 c. Kosher salt
1 c. Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon crystalized ginger.

Heat this mixture until everything is dissolved, let cool to room temperature, then chill completely in refridgerator. Once the mixture is cool, add the rinsed turkey breast, and chill in fridge for 6-10 hours (I do this over night).

Cooking:

Rinse the turkey breast, discard liquid. In a microwave dish, combine the following:

1 Orange, cut up, with 3 cloves in each rind slice
1 Onion
3 Tbs liquer (I use Scotch Whiskey)
1/4 c. water
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon crystalized ginger.
Microwave this mixture for 5 minutes, then place in cavity of turkey.

Cover the breast of turkey with oil on all skin surface, and cook for 20 minutes at 500 degrees. Once skin is a cracklin' brown color, turn the oven to 350 defrees, cover with roasting pan lid or tin foil and allow to cook for 90 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees. Rest the meat for 20 minutes to allow the juices to re-distribute and you'll have the very best white meat you've ever tasted!

The orange and clove flavor steams up inside the meat, creating a super super moist white meat that is flavored through every bite. Your whole house will smell divine for the holiday! This is worth the extra effort!
Old 12-12-2006, 04:54 PM   #20
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Do entries require a photo - to illustrate and also to show we made it for the competition?

Just wondering. Cat?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #21
missaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft
Do entries require a photo - to illustrate and also to show we made it for the competition?

Just wondering. Cat?
I'd take a photo, but we ate it LOL I have the carcass of the turkey to make soup with, though
Old 12-13-2006, 06:24 AM   #22
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by missaf
I'd take a photo, but we ate it LOL I have the carcass of the turkey to make soup with, though

Then we'll assume it was delicious!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:46 AM   #23
missaf

Pooh's Snowballs

1 cup softened butter (2 sticks)
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
zest of two oranges
1/4 c. orange juice
3 cups flour
1 cup ground almonds (I skipped these for but allergies)
powdered sugar for dusting

Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add vanill extract, egg yolks, orange zest and orange juice, and beat until thoroughly combined. Add flour, then stir in ground nuts. Wrap and refrigerate dough until chilled, about 1 hour.

Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (I use Hamilton Beach Silpats). If no silpats, lightly flour surface, roll dough unto 1-inch balls. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. While cookies are still warm, roll in powdered sugar. Roll again once cookies have cooled. Makes 3 dozen.

The dough is a little dry and crumbly. So the cookie is a little crumbly too.

The dough:

The first coat of sugar:

The plating:

*bow*

Last edited by missaf; 12-14-2006 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:49 PM   #24
Cat
Gone baby gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Just wondering. Cat?
Hmmm.. I don't want to exclude someone who may not have a camera. I would encourage, but not require photos.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:30 PM   #25
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

I agree. I do think photos will give entries an edge, tho