Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #26
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCynth View Post

Bacon, avacado, tomato with a little mayo on a toasted bun. Words can not describe how good this was.

What a Tasty looking Sandwich- I'm just use to seeing the BLT. Now is the addition of avacados a 'West Coast' influence? I would have to really search for a deli here that would add avacados to Sandwiches
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:51 AM   #27
IdahoCynth
Cockchafer

IdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyc View Post

What a Tasty looking Sandwich- I'm just use to seeing the BLT. Now is the addition of avacados a 'West Coast' influence? I would have to really search for a deli here that would add avacados to Sandwiches
For me the avacado is a daughter in law influence, I never would have started eating them if it had not been for her.
IdahoCynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #28
cute_obese_girl
Herbivore

cute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging in

My mom always put avocado on our BLTs. I guess that makes them BLATs I guess it could be a California thing. We put avocado on everything. You can even get avocado milkshakes here. I know how it sounds, but trust me it is yummy. Of course it could also be the Latin American influence in Southern California.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."-Albert Pine
cute_obese_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #29
Esme

Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have everything for a BLAT, so I'm probably going to try it tomorrow or Thursday. The other twist is, I picked up some turkey bacon and I'm going to try that. I hope it wasn't a waste of money.
Esme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #30
kr7

kr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticed

Since we're vegetarians, we use a bacon substitute (it's actually pretty good), that we jokingly refer to as "facon" (you know....fake bacon). So, our BLAT (yes we also use avocados) is actullay FLAT. LOL!

Chris
kr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #31
cute_obese_girl
Herbivore

cute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr7 View Post
Since we're vegetarians, we use a bacon substitute (it's actually pretty good), that we jokingly refer to as "facon" (you know....fake bacon). So, our BLAT (yes we also use avocados) is actullay FLAT. LOL!

Chris
LOL. Me too actually. I wasn't raised vegetarian, but I have been one since I was 16 and I eat facon too.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."-Albert Pine
Old 10-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #32
kr7

kr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute_obese_girl View Post
LOL. Me too actually. I wasn't raised vegetarian, but I have been one since I was 16 and I eat facon too.
Very cool! And I'm glad that someone besides me refers to it as facon.

Chris
Old 10-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #33
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esme View Post
I have everything for a BLAT, so I'm probably going to try it tomorrow or Thursday. The other twist is, I picked up some turkey bacon and I'm going to try that. I hope it wasn't a waste of money.
well...

eh...

good luck with that.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #34
Red

Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Sandwiches, it's all about the cheese and beetroot

Grab two tasty slices of fresh, grainy, seedy bread and butter with slightly salted Irish butter. Layer on thin slices of creamy, medium cheddar then place a layer of pickled beetroot (corrugated is the best, texture wise), sprinkle on a little bit of salt, cut into quarters and voila, sarnie heaven.

Serve with walkers cheese and onion crisps and a mug of tea.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:45 PM   #35
kr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Sandwiches, it's all about the cheese and beetroot

Grab two tasty slices of fresh, grainy, seedy bread and butter with slightly salted Irish butter. Layer on thin slices of creamy, medium cheddar then place a layer of pickled beetroot (corrugated is the best, texture wise), sprinkle on a little bit of salt, cut into quarters and voila, sarnie heaven.

Serve with walkers cheese and onion crisps and a mug of tea.
I absolutely love this idea. Got to try it.

Chris
Old 10-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #36
Esme

Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
well...

eh...

good luck with that.
I know. It's a matter of morbid curiosity and natural aversion.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:29 AM   #37
PrettyKitty
Dorkus Maximus

PrettyKitty can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesPrettyKitty can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesPrettyKitty can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I'm sort of insane when it comes to sandwiches. Sandwiches are the fourth greatest thing on the face of the planet.

I have this habit of going into someone else's kitchen and whipping up an amazing gormet sandwich in two minutes, usually out of random bits of unwanted stuff.

I wonder if you watched that Food Network sandwich challenge. Those looked so yummy. One guy even made a sandwich with spaghetti in it. Didn't look as bad as it might sound.
By the way, the sandwich pics are killer. ha
PrettyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:58 AM   #38
cute_obese_girl
Herbivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyKitty View Post
I wonder if you watched that Food Network sandwich challenge. Those looked so yummy. One guy even made a sandwich with spaghetti in it. Didn't look as bad as it might sound.
I saw that. It sounds like carb heaven to me

Old 10-07-2007, 10:33 PM   #39
Beckoo

Beckoo does more than just post hot picsBeckoo does more than just post hot picsBeckoo does more than just post hot picsBeckoo does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
I call them Beggin' Strips because that's what they look like Still tasty!
Beckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:46 AM   #40
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyKitty View Post
Spagetti sandwiches simply rock!!
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:47 AM   #41
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:

Bacon, avacado, tomato with a little mayo on a toasted bun. Words can not describe how good this was.
Well IC I think I should put you on ignore...lol I want both of the sandwiches lol

They look awesome!
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #42
IdahoCynth
Cockchafer

IdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
Well IC I think I should put you on ignore...lol I want both of the sandwiches lol

They look awesome!
I should put myself on ignore, because I want them both again too!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:59 AM   #43
cute_obese_girl
Herbivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckoo View Post
I call them Beggin' Strips because that's what they look like Still tasty!
LOL. You are totally right. Definitely not the most eye appealing meat alternative, but they taste good.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:46 AM   #44
Beckoo

Beckoo does more than just post hot picsBeckoo does more than just post hot picsBeckoo does more than just post hot picsBeckoo does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
LOL. You are totally right. Definitely not the most eye appealing meat alternative, but they taste good.
I think the best veggie item ever is the crumbled sausage I could just put it in everything! Of course only one damn store sells it down here and it costs almost $5 bucks a bag!!!!!!!!!! Oh well, it's worth it.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #45
Beckoo

Quote:

That looks so freaking good I just know if I made one it wouldn't look so appealing. How do you properly cut an avocado? I tried once and destroyed it! Actually, I don't even know how to choose one! Help, please.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:08 PM   #46
Suze
Too Vanilla For You

Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love roast beef sandwiches with pickles and mayo.
Ah, heaven.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:19 PM   #47
Esme

Quote:
That looks so freaking good I just know if I made one it wouldn't look so appealing. How do you properly cut an avocado? I tried once and destroyed it! Actually, I don't even know how to choose one! Help, please.
The trick to avacados is to get them a day or two before you actually want to use them. Let them sit on the counter and get happy for a few days, then they'll be nice and soft and ready to use. Don't squeeze the bejeebers out of it in the store. That'll just bruise it. You just want a little teeny bit of give when you touch it.

I cut mine all the way around, then twist them apart. I use the knife edge to remove the pit. Just gently pop the blade into the pit then twist it out to pop it out. You can used a spoon to scoop the inside out, or you can slice it inside the skin then ease the slices out either by turing it inside out, or running your thumb just along the edge. At least that's what works for me.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #48
Beckoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esme View Post
The trick to avacados is to get them a day or two before you actually want to use them. Let them sit on the counter and get happy for a few days, then they'll be nice and soft and ready to use. Don't squeeze the bejeebers out of it in the store. That'll just bruise it. You just want a little teeny bit of give when you touch it.

I cut mine all the way around, then twist them apart. I use the knife edge to remove the pit. Just gently pop the blade into the pit then twist it out to pop it out. You can used a spoon to scoop the inside out, or you can slice it inside the skin then ease the slices out either by turing it inside out, or running your thumb just along the edge. At least that's what works for me.
Thanks Esme I am going to the store tonight and I am gonna pick me a couple up! You know I never actually ate avocados or guacamole until just a couple of years ago. I have to admit I thought the green color was disgusting! I missed lots of years of good eats!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #49
IdahoCynth
Cockchafer

Quote:
Beckoo; They are ripe when they are sort of soft, not too soft.
When I clean them I cut them like this:

Then I take a spoon and start it at the small end between the skin and the meat of the avocado to scoop it out of the skin.

I use the spoon to scoop out the seed too. Then I just slice it.

There are other ways to cut them.

Here are some sites showing variations:
http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ciq-avocado.htm
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...an_avocado.php
Old 10-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #50
Beckoo

Thank you Now here is another question (annoying everybody) Can you store them if you don't finish them?
Quote:
Beckoo; They are ripe when they are sort of soft, not too soft.
When I clean them I cut them like this:

Then I take a spoon and start it at the small end between the skin and the meat of the avocado to scoop it out of the skin.

I use the spoon to scoop out the seed too. Then I just slice it.

There are other ways to cut them.

Here are some sites showing variations:
http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ciq-avocado.htm
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...an_avocado.php