Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #26
Lady at Large

Lady at Large has super-sized repLady at Large has super-sized repLady at Large has super-sized repLady at Large has super-sized repLady at Large has super-sized rep

No Elle I haven't eaten there...I will have to try it out. Have you been to the TeaPot on Capitol Hill? Such goooood food! My sister lives on Capitol hill so she susses out everything in her area for me, I am in the burbs Tacoma.

"I used to be a tater farmer, but the truth is the taters farmed me!"
Grandpa Simpson
Lady at Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #27
elle camino
shitclock's tickin.

elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!

heh, yeah i've been there. to say the least.
i get obsessive about food so there was a period a couple of years ago where i'd eat there like 5 times a week. which wasn't good because my favorite thing there (the rose drumettes) also happened to be the most expensive thing on the menu.
nowadays i'm a much bigger fan of In the Bowl, on Summit and Denny. less expensive and bigger menu, plus it's just across the street so i can practically just roll home after gorging myself on ginger noodles.
elle camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #28
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

There is tons of vegan food that is super tasty not to mention healthy and even fattening.

I do eat vegan a lot, and eat most of my veggies raw. It's tough to eat out vegan in most areas tho, even here in the Bay Area there are very few places to get good vegan stuff pre-made (I mean restaurants or to-go food.)

(I love cheese tho...also ice cream and seafood...free range links and chicken....not vegan at all! These are some of the reasons I don't eat 100% vegan.)

Last edited by Santaclear; 10-30-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Santaclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #29
JMNYC

JMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging in

Cheese is a wash, I haven't found any that doesn't taste like garbage.

Yesterday I discovered fried eggplant. OMG OMG OMG

Slice eggplant in 1/2 inch pieces.
Heat pan on medium, brush both sides of eggplant with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
Cover pan and fry each side 5 minutes, until both sides are brown.

Let cool and eat as a snack, or let 'em cool and put 'em on your salad.

Another thing I dig of late is a hot cup of Very Vanilla soy milk with a smashed banana; it's a combination eat/drink thing and it mellllows you out.
JMNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #30
JMNYC

JMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle camino View Post
[B]“Meat”loaf
(Makes 2 loaves/6 to 8 servings)

all in all it's hardly a macrobiotic or carbon-footprintless meal, but it's cruelty free, a ZILLION times better for you than normal meatloaf and mashies, cleaner to make (no fishing the finished product out of a pool of grease), and comforting/tasty as heck.

You've sold me. I'm gonna try it, maybe Saturday or Sunday. Maybe I'll bake it for the Missus for dinner, with candles and her favorite wine. I'll let you know how I go---even maybe take a photo. Thanks for sharing that recipe, thank you...

Last edited by JMNYC; 10-30-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:03 AM   #31
Lady at Large

Lady at Large has super-sized repLady at Large has super-sized repLady at Large has super-sized repLady at Large has super-sized repLady at Large has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMNYC View Post
Cheese is a wash, I haven't found any that doesn't taste like garbage.
That is why I just can't go strictly vegan. My sister swears she found 'the good' stuff...but I think good has to be a relative term at this point.

Elle, my sister lives so near you and is vegan, if only you were also lesbian I know you would know her...lol I will have to try out the places you suggested, I am going to ask my sister today where her faves are.

Grandpa Simpson
Old 10-31-2008, 12:07 PM   #32
katorade

katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm hardly vegan or vegetarian, but I have many veggie friends, so when I cook for a group, a lot of times I'll make something vegan or at least vegetarian friendly. I was also a vegetarian for a year or so, but I just love steak way too much.

If I have a party, I almost always make a vegan 7-layer dip using vegan refried beans, soy cheese, and vegan sour cream. I have yet to have a carnivore realize it was vegan unless I told them, and even the die-hard meat eaters ate a giant pile of it. The key is to stir some taco seasoning directly into the sour cream before spreading it on as a layer. It's delicious.

I also love assorted veggies sauteed, then stewed in coconut milk with yellow curry, then served over rice with some sriracha sauce on the side.
katorade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #33
activistfatgirl
donuts at the finish line

activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Have y'all tried almond cheese? I've found that it's actually quite tasty, and melts. It's not vegan though. It's mostly vegetarian, but has a small amount of milk protein. A good call for those in the mostly-quasi-lazy vegan category.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:29 AM   #34
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default veggie burgers

They're so expensive and I have to admit, my favorite type aren't vegan (Amy's Cheddar Burgers). I tried to make the recipe from Veganomicon and they were very bland. I'm not expecting something to taste like meat, just flavorful.

And this blog makes me drool:

http://letsgetsconed.blogspot.com/
Old 11-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #35
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Soyakaas makes a really good soy cheese. Especially their mozzarella.

I tend to like all soy cheese OK melted, but Soyakaas is the only brand I truly enjoy just cold. If you compare soy cheese to dairy cheese, there will be heartbreak. I find with all these foods that using them as a "substitute" will be disappointing (soy ice cream kinda blows, for instance) but approaching them on their own terms, on a case-by-case basis can be tasty and rewarding.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:00 AM   #36
cute_obese_girl
Herbivore

cute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging in

Tofuttie cuties are pretty spot on. If you gave one to someone without telling them it was dairy free, they wouldn't guess it wasn't a regular ice cream sandwich.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."-Albert Pine
cute_obese_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #37
JMNYC

VEGAN BEAST LOAF!

"all in all it's hardly a macrobiotic or carbon-footprintless meal, but it's cruelty free, a ZILLION times better for you than normal meatloaf and mashies, cleaner to make (no fishing the finished product out of a pool of grease), and comforting/tasty as heck.[/QUOTE]

OK---ready, set, go...Sunday night, 6:29 PM---

Went to Whole Foods, Stew Leonard's, Shoprite and local Fine Fare.

Gonna make dinner for two. Will let you know how it turns out...

CONTACT
!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #38
JMNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMNYC View Post
VEGAN BEAST LOAF!

"all in all it's hardly a macrobiotic or carbon-footprintless meal, but it's cruelty free, a ZILLION times better for you than normal meatloaf and mashies, cleaner to make (no fishing the finished product out of a pool of grease), and comforting/tasty as heck.

[/B]![/QUOTE]

RAH RAH RAH...thanks for the recipe...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Meat.jpg (27.6 KB, 101 views)
Old 11-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #39
Lady at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaclear View Post
If you compare soy cheese to dairy cheese, there will be heartbreak. I find with all these foods that using them as a "substitute" will be disappointing (soy ice cream kinda blows, for instance) but approaching them on their own terms, on a case-by-case basis can be tasty and rewarding.
Especially if you are still eating the original item, I think if I got far enough away from cheese that I could only remember it as it a distant memory I might think there are good 'substitutes'.

Grandpa Simpson
Old 11-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #40
JMNYC

And another vegan yummy treat...eggplant!

Sliced a whole one up tonight, baked it at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, turned 'em over and baked another 5, then spread hummus and a splash of balsamic vinegar on 'em.

Would have taken their pic when they were arranged on a nice plate, but..

ROWRRRRRRR! ATE 'EM UP

*smack*
Old 12-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #41
hollyfo
dead sweat in my teeth.

hollyfo can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeshollyfo can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Hey, I've been vegetarian for 6 years and vegan on and off. Some friends and I had a vegan Thanksgiving this year, I made vegan green bean casserole, substituting milk for soy milk and making my own mushroom soup by frying mushrooms in olive oil, adding flour and vegtable stock, spices and soy milk...it came out really well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vegangreenbeancasserole.JPG (36.0 KB, 81 views)
hollyfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #42
JMNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyfo View Post
Hey, I've been vegetarian for 6 years and vegan on and off. Some friends and I had a vegan Thanksgiving this year, I made vegan green bean casserole, substituting milk for soy milk and making my own mushroom soup by frying mushrooms in olive oil, adding flour and vegtable stock, spices and soy milk...it came out really well...

I like the mushroom soup whip-it-up idea...I'll try it.

For T'day, I made a batch of banana/peanut butter oatmeal cookies, which ended up suckin' because I used steel cut oats instead of the rolled or instant oats the recipe called for. The flavor was fine but the consistency lacked what cookies need. Not fit for family.

As a backup, I made plain old chocolate chip (vegan) and they came out perfectly, gobbled up by the assemblage.

Right now, I boil split peas, onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, a bay leaf, olive oil, salt and pepper and water. 90 minutes from now I'll transfer all into a blender, whip it up and return it to the pot. Top it with veggie parmesan, some croutons.

I have no spices, I discovered...gotta restock.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #43
CynPart2

CynPart2 can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle camino View Post
i'd say about 75% of my friends and family are vegan, so i cook and eat vegan more often than not, when i'm at home. i dig the challenge of getting out of the salad-and-tofurky-sandwich rut by making vegan versions of old-timey comfort foods.
It sounds like you'd love my favorite cookbook -- Cookin' Southern: Vegetarian Style. Ann Jackson has recipes for "Church Supper Carmelized Onions," "Coal Miner's Chicken Fried Steak and Gravy," vegan "Hoppin' John," and dozens more southern dishes. She also gives readers special tricks, such as how to create vegan country ham taste by broiling tofu with soy margarine and dark miso ... interesting book.

(I'm actually not a vegan, but it's been about 15 years since I've eaten meat other than seafood.)
CynPart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #44
ImNotFunny

ImNotFunny can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesImNotFunny can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

BEST THREAD EVER! I've been a veg for 10 years now (strictly for animals not for health) and I really thought I was the only fat veg in the world....well most of the world! Even when I tell people I'm a vegetarian I can see it on their face "but your large?" or "Gotta be for health reasons". When I first started the no meat thing I was pretty ignorant on what to eat so I lost 45lbs like nothing. Then I started substituting meals with fries.....delicious haha. The 45 came back plus more...it's all good. Now I found the awesome world of tofu, Indian food and black beans! Sorry I'm not sharing a recipe or anything, but I had to to let that all out!
ImNotFunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #45
elle camino
shitclock's tickin.

elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynPart2 View Post
It sounds like you'd love my favorite cookbook -- Cookin' Southern: Vegetarian Style.
totally just ordered that off amazon. thank you!!

also i blew it last week and picked the wrong thread in which to post my vegan stuffing recipe from this thanksgiving. derp.
here it is.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:59 PM   #46
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I just bought a can of vegan duck in a can. after eating companion's curried tidbits, I'm a bit frightened to touch this stuff (see nasty products thread.

maybe this will be better, hoping for the best. I picked it up on a whim from an Asian market today.

Last edited by MissToodles; 01-18-2009 at 12:03 PM.
MissToodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #47
elle camino
shitclock's tickin.

haha i have a friend who LOVES that stuff! eats it out of the can in front of the TV, all that.
i've never tried it because the smell kiiinda sicks me out. but i don't like real duck either so i don't know, maybe it's authentic?
Old 12-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #48
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles View Post
I just bought a can of vegan duck in a can. after eating companion's curried tidbits, I'm a bit frightened to touch this stuff (see nasty products thread.

maybe this will be better, hoping for the best. I picked it up on a whim from an Asian market today.
The duck is like night and day compared to the smushy tidbits. I usually load up my cart with the duck whenever i'm in the Bay Area (SF) and it lasts me months. I'm a picky person when it comes to texture and the texture of the duck is pretty good. The flavor is decent too. (but that's just me )
Old 12-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #49
CynPart2

CynPart2 can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottiMegan View Post
The duck is like night and day compared to the smushy tidbits. I usually load up my cart with the duck whenever i'm in the Bay Area (SF) and it lasts me months. I'm a picky person when it comes to texture and the texture of the duck is pretty good. The flavor is decent too. (but that's just me )
Glad to see I'm not the only person who likes canned fake meat products. Sometimes, I've gotta have those strangely tasty imitation Salisbury Steak patties and fried "Chik'n" bits in watery gravy from Worthington / Loma Linda; They're pretty hard to find now (probably because they sound so unappetizing), but I just discovered that folks can locate those scarce delicacies at the company website, www.worthingtonfoods.com.
CynPart2 is offline   Reply With Quote