Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 05-10-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Jay West Coast
Witness to the Thickness

Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default East Africa Dims Types

Anyone happen to around in the general East Africa region? Rwanda, Burundi, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Eastern Congo, Malawi?

Sorry if this is a re-post and I missed it.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Jay West Coast
Witness to the Thickness

Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!

Really? 117 views and NO REPLIES?!

Uugh.....
Old 07-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'll reply.

Are you traveling to East Africa, Jay? Lucky you! Seems like a fascinating region of the planet to visit ...

Old 07-04-2009, 01:48 AM   #4
Lina
The humans are dead..

Lina carries a lot of weight on this boardLina carries a lot of weight on this boardLina carries a lot of weight on this boardLina carries a lot of weight on this boardLina carries a lot of weight on this board

I will be in Uganda for a few months, and then Tanzania. I assume all the other African FA's will keep me plenty-of-busy. Fingers crossed...
Old 07-17-2009, 12:43 AM   #5
Jay West Coast
Witness to the Thickness

Yeah should be pretty rad. I'm living in Rwanda until January abouts.

East Africa Dims folks! Hollah!

(Where in Uganda and Tanzania?)
Old 07-17-2009, 03:28 AM   #6
Filly
Searching Restlessly

Filly can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFilly can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFilly can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Wow Rwanda? That's fantastic! I looked into doing some jobs in some of the African countries but I need to get more money together before I could come over.

Hopefully there are some Dims members there to keep you out of trouble during your stay. Best of luck.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
Lina
The humans are dead..

Lina carries a lot of weight on this boardLina carries a lot of weight on this boardLina carries a lot of weight on this boardLina carries a lot of weight on this boardLina carries a lot of weight on this board

Let me share a little about being a fat girl in Africa...

Yesterday a young boy approched me and asked if I had been out near the village yesterday morning. Because he heard a rumor going around the village that there a very large mozongoo (means white but I can't spell that word).

Later that afternoon a group of kids wanted to let me know that I look like a sumo wrestler.

I was told by everyone that fat(ish) people in Africa are lazy, and they are very shocked that I am able to stand for very long or even walk down the street. Screw that. I am able to jump down into a swamp hole and dig mudd and weeds out to clean a drinking hole. I am even strong enough to unload thousands of bricks from a truck (in a damn skirt!!)

Those things are minor and maybe not the biggest deal, but when I am around everyone they act like I am a freakshow. Which of course, the people I come into contact with have never seen a fat person.

I am constantly torn between coming home or staying. I am living my life's dream, but living my biggest nightmare.

Hope it's not a huge downer to read. I just have been really pent up emotionally here and even my friend who I am traveling with do not understand, they think that I am being overly paranoid. I am so happy for dims right now. I have 7 weeks left, longer if things seems to improve, otherwise I can't wait to get home.

Last edited by Lina; 07-19-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Lina, I'm sorry to hear how difficult it is for you there. Would it help to think of the opportunity you have to influence their opinions? Maybe the residents there will see you, a strong, healthy, beautiful young woman, and begin to change their preconceptions/prejudices.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I think they're fascinating, if saddening, to read.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #9
Observer
Editor/Writer/Commentator

Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

You are no way a sumo wrestler in size, but are a very attractive young lady. If I weren't married and three times your age I'd be tempted to jet across to where you are and have a talk with those ignorant blokes!

Have you thought of perhaps doing that yourself?

You're an adequate writer and I've seen your youtube talk - what about a local column or radio commontary along the lines of "Mozangoo Meanderings" that would include references to the stereotyping you've encountered.

Just an idea.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:14 AM   #10
Lina
The humans are dead..

Thanks for the nice messages! I am sorry but I'm taking over this thread Jay.

We went out to a club last weekend and it was a COMPLETELY different story from two weeks ago. I was shocked at the amount of guys and GIRLS who wanted to dance with me. I had the hardest time getting out of the club without getting dragged back in. I did make the mistake of dancing too much with one of the teachers at the school where I'm volunteering and now ... it's slightly awkward.

I think the biggest difference is the ability to not take myself or others so seriously. I know I break all the stereotypes, and I am really enjoying it.

I'm headed to Northern Uganda to travel for a week. A few clubs along the way, I get a whole new group of people to shock and awe. (With my dancing skills... not.)
Old 08-01-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
Jay West Coast
Witness to the Thickness

Hahha...yay, Lina! I'm glad you've had some size-positive experiences to balance out the awkward ones.

To be honest, I find that in East Africa the context is everything. When I'm up in rural and poorer areas, I get the OMG-ITS-A-MUZUNGU thing constantly. It can be really hard to get used to, and I'm sure would be that much worse if I weren't a white-looking male (I fit the expected stereotype perfectly).

On the other hand, I've noticed that in the high-society circles and soirees, nice clubs and at high-end shops, like muzungus, big women are treated with a special appreciation, and as much as most fat women here are already married and snatched up, I can imagine in the right (educated class) setting its got to be quite awesome to be big muzungu girl.

Let me know how many marriage proposals you've received when we meet up on September 6.

Which reminds me...September 6 Meetup in Kigali! Let me know if anyone else is interested in coming! We'll be eating at Caiman or Republika, and clubbing at Terero. Should be awesome.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:08 AM   #12
missy_blue_eyez

missy_blue_eyez is a pillar of the Dimensions communitymissy_blue_eyez is a pillar of the Dimensions communitymissy_blue_eyez is a pillar of the Dimensions communitymissy_blue_eyez is a pillar of the Dimensions communitymissy_blue_eyez is a pillar of the Dimensions communitymissy_blue_eyez is a pillar of the Dimensions communitymissy_blue_eyez is a pillar of the Dimensions communitymissy_blue_eyez is a pillar of the Dimensions communitymissy_blue_eyez is a pillar of the Dimensions communitymissy_blue_eyez is a pillar of the Dimensions communitymissy_blue_eyez is a pillar of the Dimensions community

LOL! Hmmmmm Im not sure I can make September the 6th, I dont think Ive got an outfit suitable for African safari......... lol I cant help but laugh at how cool it is that there are Dims meet ups going on in Africa!!!! How excellent! Hope its going well Jay!
Old 08-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #13
Tau
IXAMXDECADENCE

Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'll be in Kenya, Nairobi, from the 27th of November to the 1st of December. The 28th is a friends wedding but I'm going to be bumming around exploring the city and hopefully heading for Mumbasa on the 29th and 30th then flying back to South Africa evening of the 1st. If you're around and wanna hang, holla!
Old 08-28-2009, 06:52 AM   #14
Tau
IXAMXDECADENCE

Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina View Post
Thanks for the nice messages! I am sorry but I'm taking over this thread Jay.

We went out to a club last weekend and it was a COMPLETELY different story from two weeks ago. I was shocked at the amount of guys and GIRLS who wanted to dance with me. I had the hardest time getting out of the club without getting dragged back in. I did make the mistake of dancing too much with one of the teachers at the school where I'm volunteering and now ... it's slightly awkward.

I think the biggest difference is the ability to not take myself or others so seriously. I know I break all the stereotypes, and I am really enjoying it.

I'm headed to Northern Uganda to travel for a week. A few clubs along the way, I get a whole new group of people to shock and awe. (With my dancing skills... not.)
Really, really glad to hear you're having a better time!
Old 08-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
Jay West Coast
Witness to the Thickness

Hey! Lina and I and some other friends hung out tonight and had a great time in Kigali! Missed everyone who was there in spirit!

Tau, Lina will be back in the States in November, but I'll be around. Not impossible that I'll be in Nairobi for that weekend, but I'm more likely to be in Rwanda or Uganda. Let's talk again as the date draws near!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:06 AM   #16
Jay West Coast
Witness to the Thickness

Pics to come (when I get my cord back from Kigali...).

Last edited by Jay West Coast; 09-01-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #17
Tau
IXAMXDECADENCE

Will be keeping an eye out for pics
Old 09-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #18
Isa
In search of....

Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Jay,

Are you blogging about your time in Africa? If so, is it public because I'd love to read about your experiences.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #19
supersizebbw
Who run the world..Girls!

supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

bumping this thread 7 years later!