Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Event Discussion (Archive Only)

Old 05-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default How 'Canadian' do you live?

Well, my German car was built in Mexico, and the Swedish truck I drive for work was built in the U.S., but I try to protect and maintain my Canadian-ness.

My composite-construction Meadow acoustic guitar was made in Waterloo, Ontario.

My BlackBerry was developed in Waterloo, Ontario (but made in China).

I have a telephone (invented by Canadian A.G. Bell)

I try to make a point of any Canadian cultural influences, no matter how tangentially they may apply (see above...er, and below).

I recycle, using my Blue Box (an initiative developed in Guelph, Ontario).

While I don't play the game, I do have a basketball (game invented by Canadian J. Naismith).

I know the difference between a cheque and a check.

I know that 'Doctor' and Stompin'' can be used to describe the same person.

I own several Robertson screwdrivers, of different sizes.

I know what a washroom is, and that a bathroom must have a bathtub (or, begrudgingly, at least a shower).

I constantly try to flush out other Canadians.

I'm sorry.*

I know what a 'Salmon Arm Salute' is.

I know what a 'Kenora dinner jacket' is.

I know that real Poutine needs cheese curds, not just cheese.

I don't recognize Justin Bieber as one of my fellow countrymen.

I feel uncomfortable about the "God keep our land" line in the rewrite of our national anthem, and sing it the old way.

I keep an ice-scraper/snow-brush in my car at all times (makes a good back-scratcher).

I am aware of other countries in North America.

Many of my friends and acquaintances are children of immigrants, as am I.

I chuckled at the way the spoken line "I hate Scarberia" appeared in the subtitles as "I hate suburbia" in Orphan Black.

I think of myself as average.

Despite my distaste for Don Cherry, I get a kick out of the way he dresses, and admire the deep love he had for his late wife.

I have a sawed-off hockey-stick in the track of the rear sliding door at my house.

I know someone is more 'Canadian' than me.

How about you? What quintessentially Canadian traits do you exhibit, or have you observed?

(This thread is open to non-Canadians who might have a bit the Spirit of the North in them too, eh?)

*At the moment, most specifically about using the term 'flush out' in such close proximity to the mention of washrooms. Oops.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:00 PM   #2
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oops.

In a fit of braggadocio, I listed only those things that I thought made me more Canadian.

Now, with head hung low, in the interest of fairness and transparency, I present a list of the things that just might, in the eyes of some, make me appear a bit less Canadian.

I don't like hockey.

I don't like beer (in fact, I rarely drink any alcohol).

I don't do 4:20 (possibly a shock to many of you).

I don't like Rush (the band, not the movie or the novel on which it was based). I think Max Webster did the whole 'experimental rock' thing more accessibly, and with greater humour.

I don't ski. I've tried my hand (or, more accurately, my butt) at both cross-country and downhill, but I can't get into it.

I don't skate (I'm not sure if this is in spite of, or because of lessons I took as a kid).

I dislike cold. Vehemently.

I can't build a decent fire (quite an hindrance when viewed in the context of my previous statement).

I haven't fished in about 10 years, and don't plan to.

I tend not to enjoy fireworks displays.

I don't camp just for the sake of camping (music festivals are another matter).

I don't support the monarchy.

I'm vain.

I don't own, nor do I wish to own, a boat.

I don't own, nor do I wish to own, a snowmobile.

My house is not stocked up for emergency power outages or for being snowed in.

I think Quebec has the right to leave if it wants to (but I hope it doesn't).

I don't drive a minivan.

Oh, the shame of it all.

Weigh this list against that in my previous post and decide if I qualify for Canadianism at all.

(Then again, if you're a true Canadian yourself, you're probably not the judgemental type. )
Old 05-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #3
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Let's see:

- I think ten years of hockey as a kid qualifies me to pass judgement on professional hockey players and coaches.

- I also played soccer, but that was to keep busy when it wasn't hockey season

- I don't always get Timmies, but when I do I can seldom resist making it a double-double.

- I have tapped maple trees, collected sap, and make token contributions to the boiling down process (granted this was also as a kid).

- I'm originally from Manitoba, one of those provinces that nobody can really take offense about.

- I camp periodically, and have such camping paraphernalia as a proper Coleman stove (none of that new-fangled propane stuff!)

- I listen for the hockey scores on the radio before I get up in the morning, even in June.

- My family tree includes, over the last few generations, English, American, United Empire Loyalists, and non-anglo immigrants, and I married the daughter of immigrants.

- I down-hill, cross-country, and water-ski (and while we never had a cottage, parents had a motor-boat for almost all of my life, so did a lot of water-skiing and boat camping in the Summer)

- I drive a Japanese car that was built in Canada

- I like vinegar on my fries (note for any brits reading this: what you'd call chips)

- I'm familiar with the pleasures of drinking a pop while sitting on the chesterfield

- I know that the holiday we just had is truly known as the May Two-Four weekend

- I regularly use the CBC music site, and have a 3+ hour playlist on there that I use parts of pretty regularly.

- I've been to a cabane a sucre

- I own a parka and serious snow boots

On the other hand:

- I can't drink beer anymore (intolerance)

- I don't hate Toronto or Alberta or Quebec

- I've never owned a jean jacket and have only ever had one flannel shirt (long departed)

- I've never ice-fished, gone hunting, ridden on a dog-sled, or owned a ski-doo (I did ride one once or twice as a kid).

- I don't take winter vacations to warmer parts of the world

- I hate using drive-throughs at fast food places

- I don't really care about what Canadians are in a particular American TV show or movie.

- I'm not a big fan of salt-and-vinegar flavored chips anymore (note for any brits reading this: what you'd call crisps)
Old 06-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
John Smith

John Smith can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesJohn Smith can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I'm a cynically-political Black living to Quebec... so that's answers practically to everything. 😑

Envoyé de mon SM-G386W en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2016, 06:01 AM   #5
fatgirl33
Just doodlin'

fatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 club

I've switched over to French's ketchup because they use Ontario tomatoes.

Brenda
Old 07-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #6
FreeThinker

Upping my Canadian cred:

I got around to watching Bon Cop/Bad Cop recently. Not exactly high art, but entertaining.

(I got a kick out of the hockey team's mascot: A beaver wearing snowshoes)
Old 07-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

"Mon char, mon char!" for some reason that line just cracked me up.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #8
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Whenever a conservative American starts going off on a xenophobic rant thinking I agree with him I start using Canadian pronunciations and watch as he or she slowly realizes I'm not who they thought I was.

When I worked in the San Francisco financial district I was pretty sure I was the only person in the very large building who had ever snared a coyote or blown up a beaver dam. Or gone to work in the dark and come home in the dark while working regular hours without any OT. When I moved to California the old Chevy Suburban I brought with me had a block heater, an inline coolant heater, and an auxiliary heater for the rear of the passenger compartment -- but no air conditioning.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Getting caught up in "Canadian politeness loops" is a real thing

Thanks for that Tad hahaha
Old 09-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #10
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
When I moved to California the old Chevy Suburban I brought with me had a block heater, an inline coolant heater, and an auxiliary heater for the rear of the passenger compartment -- but no air conditioning.
Now that's Canadian, real prairie style!

Canadian?

- when my wife offered to buy me snowblower for Christmas, I already knew the specs for the one I wanted.
- there are winter tires on the car from November to April
- the other car, an antique Westfalia, spends the winter in storage
- we got roofracks for the car to haul skis
- I cross to the sunny side of the street when walking downtown in winter
- Stan Rogers is a musical hero - and North West Passage is the ultimate Canadian road trip song.

I'm sure I'll think of more.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:18 PM   #11
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I confess I failed at being Canadian. Being Canadian means leaving the house with a sweater, no matter how balmy the morning in September is. Froze my tits off this afternoon!

Though, shivering in September, refusing to acknowledge Fall by wearing a sweater is rather Canadian.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #12
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

I am wearing 4 layers to account for my commute but also transit warmth/lack thereof.

Ah, late autumn. It's like a strip and dress tease all the time.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #13
Tad
mostly harmless

Now this is how to seriously Canadian ....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ness-1.3852355
Old 11-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #14
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Now this is how to seriously Canadian ....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ness-1.3852355
Saw this half-a-dozen times on my Facebook feed before it appeared here - it is seriously Canadian, indeed!
Old 11-28-2016, 08:51 AM   #15
Tad
mostly harmless

I’m not sure if the fact that I didn’t watch the Grey Cup makes me more or less Canadian … I mean, I didn’t watch it, right? But on the other hand, how many Canadians like having the CFL around, but don’t really pay it much attention?

Either way, a belated cheer for the RedBlacks for a) winning over the heavily favored Stampeders, and b) deciding that instead of carrying on with the blow-out they started in the first half, they’d let Calgary back into the game to make for a nail-biter that went to overtime. Got to love that generosity, and I’m sure that was what it was, right?
Old 11-28-2016, 01:24 PM   #16
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

My response is what is the grey cup?
Old 11-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #17
fat hiker

The Grey Cup is the championship of the Canadian Football League - professional football in Canada. It's the Canadian analog of the Super Bowl.

It's called the 'Grey Cup' because it was donated by a former Governor-General, Lord Grey, to recognise the best Canadian football team, way back in 1912. (When our Governors-General were still British appointments, as the British Empire was still in full swing.)
Old 11-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #18
fat hiker

I bought new leather winter boots, and before I exposed them to any salt and slush, took them home and coated their seams and stitching and toes with Dubbin.

Does Dubbin even exist in other countries?
Old 11-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #19
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat hiker View Post
I bought new leather winter boots, and before I exposed them to any salt and slush, took them home and coated their seams and stitching and toes with Dubbin.

Does Dubbin even exist in other countries?
Looks like it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubbin

Personally I tend to use mink oil for the same purposes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mink_oil

I suppose which to use might just come down to what you grew up with?
Old 01-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #20
fat hiker

You actually get the references in this "Where am I?" video:
Old 01-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #21
Tad
mostly harmless

I'd not seen that before. It is, ummm, different? Not entirely sure whether I like it as an ad or not, but I'll give them credit for trying something a bit out of the usual.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #22
fat hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I'd not seen that before. It is, ummm, different? Not entirely sure whether I like it as an ad or not, but I'll give them credit for trying something a bit out of the usual.
Prefer a slightly more traditional approach? Try this one, featuring one of my favourite sports: