Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The WLS Controversy

Old 06-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #1
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default New option approved by the FDA

I'm not saying that this sounds like a great option, to my mind, but I thought I'd provide a link to a news story about it anyway.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/obesity-device-1.3635192
Old 06-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #2
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I'm not saying that this sounds like a great option, to my mind, but I thought I'd provide a link to a news story about it anyway.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/obesity-device-1.3635192
This is interesting enough I guess. but, I honestly wonder how well that will work. If the food is pumped out before digestions, then won't the body be depleted of vitamins and nutrients it needs that occur naturally during digestion?

Then you also have the eww factor. You eat and then have to pull up your top or pull down your pants to attach something to drain the stomach. What is it is in the middle of the draining and it slips out of your hand.. or out of place and there is spillage? Not to mention the odor that must come out of that. Also that must be a bitch to keep clean so that you don't get an infection.

Lastly, Who wants to attach a device to drain the stomach after each meal/snack, whatever?
Old 06-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #3
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I just read the URL and saw something about an "obesity-device".

Wouldn't that be interesting?
CleverBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:44 AM   #4
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post
Then you also have the eww factor. You eat and then have to pull up your top or pull down your pants to attach something to drain the stomach. What is it is in the middle of the draining and it slips out of your hand.. or out of place and there is spillage? Not to mention the odor that must come out of that. Also that must be a bitch to keep clean so that you don't get an infection.

Lastly, Who wants to attach a device to drain the stomach after each meal/snack, whatever?
Actually that sounds like medically assisted bulimia.
And it sounds like one of these schemes in which the attempt of weight loss is everything - nevermind the side effects.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:00 PM   #5
seavixen
Ditz Extraordinaire

seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I seriously cannot understand how this is a thing anyone would consider. It does sound like a medical device to roughly approximate bulimia without the complications of inducing vomiting - which...just, what? This does nothing to make a person's lifestyle healthier - nothing whatsoever. In fact, it essentially encourages binge-eating and tries to do away with the consequences. Awesome. I hate to say that it sounds American (indulging or acting out but then feeling entitled to a free pass), but...well...it does.

This just goes to show that health comes in second at best with a huge chunk of the medical community, and society as a whole. If a person genuinely wants to become healthier, losing weight is only a small part of it. These low effort, quick fix things are pretty awful, IMO, and there's not really anything "healthy" about it.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #6
seaturtle71

seaturtle71 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesseaturtle71 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I would do that in a heartbeat if I was more overweight and wanted to loose weight, I would love to eat a couple gallons of ben and jerrys then drain the whole mess out, This sounds like a miracle treatment.
seaturtle71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:49 AM   #7
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

As Seavixen said, it sounds like mechanized bulimia.