Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 09-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Very Canadian problems

- When you want a quick sugar and caffeine hit, and there actually isn’t a Tim Hortons nearby.

- When you have used “sorry” three times in a paragraph, and the other person doesn’t understand how furious this means you are.

- When the low dollar takes the joy out of cross-border shopping.

- When you are stuck at a four-way stop, each trying to get the other person to go first (note: this problem is void in Montreal).

- When you have great seats to a fantastic concert, but don’t want to stand up because it will block the view of the people behind you.

- When you dream of your hometown hockey team winning the Stanley Cup in your lifetime (note: also void in Montreal).
Old 09-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

- When you really like someone and want to be closer aquainted...and the person says, "we should get together some time!" knowing full well the silent ending "...we should...but we never will." But being too reserved to force them to committ. While knowing they probably feel the same way.

- having to explain the vast difference between "sorry" and "i apologize"

- being forced to rush because someone way ahead of you feels the mandate to be overly courteous and hold the door

- when someone is standing within arms reach and you feel crowded.

The last is just an observation and is not exclusive to Canada, but there was also an article at some point mentioning canadians have some of the largest personal space requirements in the world.

Last edited by Xyantha Reborn; 09-04-2015 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
- The last is just an observation and is not exclusive to Canada, but there was also an article at some point mentioning canadians have some of the largest personal space requirements in the world.

i think I need to move to Canada. My close friends and family can get as close as they want. I don't play well with people that have problems with personal space boundaries. I like it when people are a good distance away from me. Like at least 3 steps.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Thats about the acceptable distance IMO. Preferably with people standing at an angle and not facing directly. Like, we should need to extend arms to touch. No touchy touchy. Dont lean over me - dont touch me.

As an aquaintance coming towards close friends, the distance decreases to mutual arm length. Little touchy touchy. You can give me a hug or touch me while talking to me (touching someone's elbow or brushing shoulders).

And if ur my friend and i love you, you get hugs!

Honestly Canadians dont touch too much. I touched my directors elbow to get his attention and he fully grasped my arm for a few breaths with a smile and to be blunt i was like "ahhhhh touching...!!!" Because we just dontdo it too much. At least in TO

Last edited by Xyantha Reborn; 09-05-2015 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Sucky phone spelling
Old 09-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #5
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Thats about the acceptable "friend" distance IMO. Preferably with people standing at an angle and not facing directly. Like, we should need to extend arms to touch. No touchy touchy. Dont lean over me - dont touch me.

As an aquaintance coming towards friends, the distance decreases to mutual arm length. Little touchy touchy. You can give me a hug or touch me while talking to me (touching someone's elbow or brushing shoulders).

And if ur my friend and i love you, you get hugs!

Honestly Canadians dont touch too much. I touched my directors elbow to get jis attention and he grasped my arm with a smile and to be blunt i was like "ahhhhh touching...!!!" Because we just dontdo it too much. At least in TO
All of this, although I will note I have several friends from Quebec who violate these procedures all the time. I assumed it was a cultural thing from la belle province...
Old 09-04-2015, 07:27 PM   #6
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

...why are provinces "female"?
Old 09-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
...why are provinces "female"?
Prince Edward Island is a dude.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

*gives you a suspicious look* no fair, i have no context to know if you are messing with me!

Canadian problem - knowing just enough french (which is mandated by law) to stare at french stuff and demand why each object is randomly male or female.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:52 AM   #9
MattB

Meanwhile in Alberta, my buddy sent this photo last night from just outside Calgary...September 5th. In Ottawa, we have a heat warning in effect.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #10
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
*gives you a suspicious look* no fair, i have no context to know if you are messing with me!

Canadian problem - knowing just enough french (which is mandated by law) to stare at french stuff and demand why each object is randomly male or female.
It is not only french. In the spanish language things are either male or female. I think it is because they are all part of the romance languages.

Who knows.....

back to the space thing.. yes....at least 3 steps away and off to the side a bit. only my closest friends and family can get close enough to touch me.

Here is something strange for a hispanic person, I am not found of being touched. Most hispanics are very friendly and they are very touchy feely with people they don't know. They love to hug at hello and kiss cheeks at good bye. TOO MUCH TOUCHING FROM PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW... so when it is time to go, and people are coming towards me, i stick my hand out to shake hands.. stop them quick.

So the space thing is not strictly a "Very Canadian problem"....lol
Old 09-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #11
canadianbbw4u

canadianbbw4u is a member of the 500 clubcanadianbbw4u is a member of the 500 clubcanadianbbw4u is a member of the 500 clubcanadianbbw4u is a member of the 500 clubcanadianbbw4u is a member of the 500 clubcanadianbbw4u is a member of the 500 club

A VERY Canadian problem is.... Camping in the mountains (BC) with a fire ban on, pours rain but they won't lift the fire ban and a temp of 5C at night... BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
Old 09-14-2015, 07:43 AM   #12
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

that suck, CBBBW4 Cold, and half the fun of camping is seeing what you can cook/burn on the fire! Granted the fire conditions out there have been extreme so I can understand the ban, but still a bummer of a camping trip
Old 09-14-2015, 05:30 PM   #13
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

That does suck! I hope you managed to have some fun!

And matt - ew. I dont need to see that sort of thing here (yet. Lol!)

---

Another one is no one (or very rarely) tells someone they are doing something wrong. Instead, we make expressionless and extended eye contact each other as we all watch the behaviour.

Extended eye contact, especially with strangers, is pretty uncommon.

So when you look around and see people exchanging that eye contact...you wonder if it was at you, and review everything you were saying and doing.

Last edited by Xyantha Reborn; 09-14-2015 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Add
Old 11-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #14
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

When even road range hilarity/politeness is considered 'Canadian'

http://www.citynews.ca/2015/11/25/tr...anadian-twist/
Old 05-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #15
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Finding it difficult to honour one's heritage in the face of creeping American technological 'help'.

To wit:
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_20160522_163729.png (103.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #16
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

[QUOTE=lucca23v2;2147230]It is not only french. In the spanish language things are either male or female. I think it is because they are all part of the romance languages.

German, too, except German has a neuter as well - and the weirdest things can be neuter. "Madchen" for instance, which is an unmarried girl, is 'das Madchen' - and 'das' is the neuter pronoun! (As in VW's ad, 'das Auto').