Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Event Discussion (Archive Only)

Old 07-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
Jonathan

Jonathan has said some nice things
Default Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge or Guelph?

Hello!

Well, I'm currently in Ottawa but moving to the K-W area and I'm just wondering if there are any lovely ladies who frequent the Board who are from the K-W or Guelph, Cambridge area?

If so, let's chat and get to know one another. I'll be new to the area and one can never have too many friends.

Jonathan
Old 09-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
lysh
learn me something

lysh can now change their title

answer: me me me!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
chillaxin

chillaxin can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeschillaxin can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I'm in the 'Loo!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #4
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I will say that you'll typically see more BBW out and about in K-W than you will in Ottawa. Much though I love our capital city, there is no doubt that as an FA the scenery is better in the K-dub!

(we moved the other way back at Christmas).

-Ed
Old 09-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Checksum Panic
Space Cowboy

Checksum Panic can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesChecksum Panic can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Ahhh the Tri-City. The G-Spot is my hometown. I've since migrated to the GTA tho. I do go back and visit.

Question: Are any of you familiar with Dirty Phil's in the Loo?...haha I hope so. (Soo dirty)
Old 09-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
chillaxin

chillaxin can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeschillaxin can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checksum Panic View Post
Ahhh the Tri-City. The G-Spot is my hometown. I've since migrated to the GTA tho. I do go back and visit.

Question: Are any of you familiar with Dirty Phil's in the Loo?...haha I hope so. (Soo dirty)
It's not as dirty as when they allowed smoking inside - those were the dirty days. You could barely see five feet in front of you. It's the still the most popular stank hole, and Ethel's comes in second. LOL!
Old 09-20-2007, 10:28 PM   #7
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checksum Panic View Post
Is that the one that used to be Phil's Grandson's Place? I didn't know it had changed. I was there once, and couldn't leave fast enough.

And dirty?

I don't know if you ever saw the East End Tavern, but that place was just nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillaxin View Post
It's not as dirty as when they allowed smoking inside - those were the dirty days. You could barely see five feet in front of you. It's the still the most popular stank hole, and Ethel's comes in second. LOL!
I'm indifferent toward Ethel's. I dont go to bars to drink, but if there's a band I want to see, I'll brave it. Thus, since they don't have a permit for live entertainment, I view Ethel's more as a restaurant, and an unremarkable one at that. The ribs were excellent the first time I went, but the next two times (everyone should get a fair chance) they were mediocre.

The Colonel Sanders shrine in the back is cool, though.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
chillaxin

It's still the same Phil's Grandson's Place - I guess "Dirty Phil's" is just a pet name. LOL!

Never been to the East End Tavern - don't suppose I ever will, now - thanks for the heads up!

I'd never eat at Ethel's, I can't stand that place. Two of my fav places around here are The Flying Dog and the new Wildcraft on King - the food is AMAZING there. Both places have great ambiance (classy yet comfortable) and the Dog is a dance/nightclub for (mostly) over 30 people.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:44 AM   #9
curvluver

curvluver can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokescurvluver can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

During my university days I used to love going to Phil's (gotta get the fishbowl while you're there...). Perhaps it was the only drinking establishment that would play music I liked...

Oh well don't live in the tri-cities anymore (now I live about an hour west of London, ON).
Old 09-22-2007, 03:14 PM   #10
chillaxin

It was only during ANYONE'S University days that people enjoy going there. It seems that once you graduate, you graduate from liking Phil's. LOL! We were partying with students on our street a couple of years ago and they invited us to go to Phil's with them - the very thought of it made us ill. LMAO! BUT - when we lived in the apartment right behind Phil's (little 3 storey white Laurier building) it was PERFECT to walk over in the winter!

Damn, that was twelve years ago...
Old 09-24-2007, 09:56 AM   #11
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Heh, when I went dancing as a student at that location it was still Don Cherry's Grapevine (and that whole mall was still pretty much new). Although I was more of a conversation and pitchers of long island iced tea at East Side Mario's type for the most part.

-Ed (class of '91 )
PS A dozen years ago I was back in K-W, living on Weber street, near the beer store--we were newlyweds and my wife was doing her MA at UW. But by then of course we did not go close to Phil's--we just went next door to the Arrow and the Loon for munchies, or downtown Kitchener to the Bismark, which was a most excellent pub under the Walper Terrace with amazing bison burgers, or to Mcgyver's for massive plates of seafood linguine alfredo. (why yes we did both gain weight that year, now that you mention it....)
Old 09-25-2007, 08:40 PM   #12
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Mel's Diner on University Ave. at Phillip St. for me.

Although, you can't argue with the Checkerboard on Belmont Ave. (near Union St, across from Vincenzo's) with their $5.99 schnitzel dinner.

Uh...not that that's really relevant to the thread.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #13
chillaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post

Although, you can't argue with the Checkerboard on Belmont Ave. (near Union St, across from Vincenzo's) with their $5.99 schnitzel dinner.

Uh...not that that's really relevant to the thread.
Well, let's see... it's a thread about the tri-cities, and it's on the Dim board.

I'd say listing some kickass restaurants in K-W is TOTALLY relevant to this thread!

I love Mel's diner, I've been going since the day it opened. We just went again recently! The students are still lined up to get in... I have not been to Checkerboard, I rarely visit that part of town but I'll keep it in mind.

There's also a little place called the Dearborn Restaurant that has a wicked schnitzel dinner, and I believe there's another place on Victoria, but I can't remember the name of it. I love the Germans for bringing us schnitzel!

edx: Phil's is over on King, Don Cherry's was on University - I used to go there too, in my first year. I remember when it shut down - tragic. Since then, that location has been cursed or something, few businesses have lasted more than a few years. East Side's is still there and booming of course. If you're ever back there, they built a Mongolian Grill in that mall as well. All you can eat and they grill it for ya right there.

I've been to the Bismark, years ago. I don't recall a Mcgyver's, though. Where was/is it?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:19 AM   #14
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Well, let's see... it's a thread about the tri-cities, and it's on the Dim board.

I'd say listing some kickass restaurants in K-W is TOTALLY relevant to this thread!
Quote:
Works for me :-)

I love Mel's diner, I've been going since the day it opened. We just went again recently! The students are still lined up to get in... I have not been to Checkerboard, I rarely visit that part of town but I'll keep it in mind.
When we were living in Kitchener most recently (summer 05 through to the end of 06) we rented a townhouse on Belmont just south of "Belmont Village" (that commercial strip running south from Vincenzos). We ate breakfast at the Checkerboard about once a month--good prices, and good food. It was actually one of the few places that I could eat the eggs (eggs and my stomach often disagree with each other, sadly).

Speaking of Vincenzo's amongst all the other incredibly yummy stuff there, if you check in their freezer section they have these individual size servings of gelato that are really good. A nice 'bring home for dessert' treat on a hot day.

But speaking of gelato, I hope you've been to "A whole lotta gelato" (or some name like that) in Uptown Waterloo. Best Gelato I've had outside of Italy, and fantastic ambience too I think. We used to take fairly frequent after dinner walks or bike rides up there for dessert (the Iron Horse Trail would take us almost right there).

Quote:
edx: Phil's is over on King, Don Cherry's was on University
-

OK, when Don Cherry's closed, one half of it became the Arrow and Loon, and the other half became a club--I was thinking that was Phil's but I guess not. It had some guy's name in the club name, and seemed popular with students.

Quote:
Since then, that location has been cursed or something, few businesses have lasted more than a few years. East Side's is still there and booming of course. If you're ever back there, they built a Mongolian Grill in that mall as well. All you can eat and they grill it for ya right there.
As I said above, we were living back down in K-W recently, although we've not made it back for a visit since we moved back up here at the end of the year. It looks like we'll finally make it down on the Thanksgiving weekend (should be fun traffic, oy!). We'll try to avoid the Oktoberfesters (my in-laws are there, so we don't have to worry about trying to fight the festers for a hotel room at least).

Quote:
I've been to the Bismark, years ago. I don't recall a Mcgyver's, though. Where was/is it?
McGyvers was at the Weber street end of the strip mall that has the Zellers, at Weber and Bridgeport. More or less across from the beer store. I'm not saying it was all that special of a restaurant, but back in 94-95 we lived almost across the road from it, so it was short waddle after eating a massive plate of rich linguine alfredo (this was back when my wife had not yet decided she didn't want to get bigger, and I thought that my liking big women meant she had no reason to care about her size....ah, to be young and naive! Anyway, we went there quite often, as we were both working so had money but not much time).

-Ed
Old 09-26-2007, 12:50 PM   #15
chillaxin

I've heard Vincenzo's was fabulous. Again, haven't been there yet, but I know the area you're talking about.

Funny you should mention Whole Lotta Gelatto - I used to go to songwriting group there once in a while. But it was in the winter and I was more interested in hot chocolate. I will go back soon!

Phil's is down where Morty's was. Don's became, uh... the place you mentioned I think, then the Fox and the Pheasant, Spaghetti Factory, another club I don't remember, then Voodoo Lounge, now it's a Martinis and the club half is called FUBAR. LOL!

We're at that point between wanting to Oktoberfest, and feeling too old to care enough to go through all the hassle. I still want my sausage on a bun and some beer, just not everything that goes with it. (Mind you, the students are getting younger and not as many can legally drink.)

I know what mall you're talking about now, we used to live on Moore Ave and walked over to Jumbo Video when we had no cable.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #16
FreeThinker

Quote:
There's also a little place called the Dearborn Restaurant that has a wicked schnitzel dinner, and I believe there's another place on Victoria, but I can't remember the name of it. I love the Germans for bringing us schnitzel!
The Metro Tavern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx View Post
OK, when Don Cherry's closed, one half of it became the Arrow and Loon, and the other half became a club--I was thinking that was Phil's but I guess not. It had some guy's name in the club name, and seemed popular with students.
Loose Change Louie's?

Quote:
It looks like we'll finally make it down on the Thanksgiving weekend (should be fun traffic, oy!). We'll try to avoid the Oktoberfesters (my in-laws are there, so we don't have to worry about trying to fight the festers for a hotel room at least).
Bringing us to the subject of Oktoberfest, I'm sure you know which place calls itself "Hosenbagenhaus" during drunk-tipping week, right?

(Hint: It was mentioned earlier in the thread)
Old 09-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #17
chillaxin

Quote:
The Metro Tavern.

Loose Change Louie's?

Bringing us to the subject of Oktoberfest, I'm sure you know which place calls itself "Hosenbagenhaus" during drunk-tipping week, right?

(Hint: It was mentioned earlier in the thread)
Yes! The Metro Tavern is awesome... and Loose Change! - how could I forget?! I spent many a cold night waiting in line without a coat to get in. LOL!

"Hosenbagenhaus"? I'm not usually able to pay much attention during Oktoberfest. LOL! I know we've been to the Aud, Transylvania Club, Concordia, Bingeman's, possibly the Schwaben Club, Fed Hall back in the day... It's all a big-feathered blur.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:59 PM   #18
FreeThinker

Quote:
Funny you should mention Whole Lotta Gelatto - I used to go to songwriting group there once in a while. But it was in the winter and I was more interested in hot chocolate. I will go back soon!
Who hosted this songwriting group?

Do you write/sing/play?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:00 PM   #19
FreeThinker

Quote:
"Hosenbagenhaus"? I'm not usually able to pay much attention during Oktoberfest. LOL! I know we've been to the Aud, Transylvania Club, Concordia, Bingeman's, possibly the Schwaben Club, Fed Hall back in the day... It's all a big-feathered blur.
Heh. Ethel's always puts that up on its sign during O-fest.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:46 AM   #20
chillaxin

I'm a SOCAN kid, actually. We're going to a conference tomorrow in the big TO.

I grew up playing piano, I have played bass in a band, I used to sing when I was younger, and I'm trying to get the piano and singing back up to snub. The singing is easier. LOL! My husband and I write songs together (and I write books as well). We had a CD come out this summer, actually. It's a horror anthology CD, and since you asked I'm going to pimp our stuff and give you the link if you'd like to check it out: Johnny Gruesome

Greg - the guy who wrote the book, wanted a theme song, which turned into a whole CD of songs about Johnny AND other horror stories - some of which are true. I even got a chance to sing one of the creepiest songs.

That specific songwriting group was a... SAC thing, I believe, run initially by Byron and Allister. It lasted about a year and the group got smaller and smaller.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #21
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
I'm a SOCAN kid, actually. We're going to a conference tomorrow in the big TO.

I grew up playing piano, I have played bass in a band, I used to sing when I was younger, and I'm trying to get the piano and singing back up to snub. The singing is easier. LOL! My husband and I write songs together (and I write books as well). We had a CD come out this summer, actually. It's a horror anthology CD, and since you asked I'm going to pimp our stuff and give you the link if you'd like to check it out: Johnny Gruesome

Greg - the guy who wrote the book, wanted a theme song, which turned into a whole CD of songs about Johnny AND other horror stories - some of which are true. I even got a chance to sing one of the creepiest songs.

That specific songwriting group was a... SAC thing, I believe, run initially by Byron and Allister. It lasted about a year and the group got smaller and smaller.
Cool! I took a glance through the link, will try and go back and investigate more thoroughly sometime.

Is the CD in any stores, or just on-line?

-Ed
Old 09-28-2007, 01:09 PM   #22
chillaxin

Quote:
Cool! I took a glance through the link, will try and go back and investigate more thoroughly sometime.

Is the CD in any stores, or just on-line?

-Ed
Just online - we don't have a rich publisher to support us. Or, you could catch us at a conference, usually horror conferences. Or, you could meet us on the street one day and buy one out of our trunk. LOL! (Same story for my writing right now.) Alas, we are but poor artsy-farts.

Thanks for checking it out!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #23
FreeThinker

Quote:
I'll be there at about 6 pm today.

Look for the longhair in a blue sweatshirt that has a treble clef and cowboy hat on it.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #24
sean7
Invisidivisible

sean7 can now change their title

dang, how'd I miss this thread?

one more to add would be Morty's, and the $0.59 wing nights!
Old 03-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #25
FreeThinker

Be sure to check out the J & B Restaurant for rich, delicious, filling food.

It's at 79 Victoria St N, near the Metro, but on the other side of the street, a little closer to King.

It's a Serbian place, offering a bewildering array of schnitzels, and an excellent goulash soup.

Not too pricey either.

Seriously good.

Oh, and the Metro now offers Chicken Kiev. Haven't tried it yet, as I didn't notice it before ordering last time I was there.

Also, if you get to Fergus, north of Guelph, check out the Goofy Newfie at 105 Queen St W. It's hard to find...it's just behind Legge Fitness. Features foods from the Rock. I went in there for the first time today for pan-fried cod and scrunchions, which came with cabbage, carrot, turnip, and beets, along with your choice of potato. Plenty of atmosphere and a great view of the Grand River.

I'll definitely be back.