Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Event Discussion (Archive Only)

Old 08-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Best "stuff" in/around......Ottawa?

24 November 2014 -- totally abusing my mod powers to broaden the topic of this thread. Was "best food", making it "best stuff"

I wondered whether to do this on the foodee board or the Canada board, but I figured here would have a better chance of finding people from Ottawa

So here is the situation: I love food, especially good food. Not always gourmet, I'm quite willing to go out of the way to see if some place truly does have the best poutine in town, or whatever. This might be falling into stereotypes, but I figure that people around Dimensions probably care more about food than do most, at least on average. So I thought some of you may know of some great eats in town that I haven't discovered.

What I'm hoping is that those who are in Ottawa, or familiar enough with it to have opinions, will share what they consider outstanding food sources.

I'll start:

Pattisserie (baked goods like croissants, as well as cakes): Fidelice, on St. Joseph in Gatineau. Their chocolatine are addictive, their cakes sublime. My whole family is willing to make the 8km bike ride there on a weekend just for the chocolatine. It is just south/west from Galleries de Hull.

Burgers: The Works (they have about four locations now). My only complaint about them is that they don't take reservations and there is normally a long line up to get seated.

Chocolates: Truffled Treasures is pretty good, but I think even better is a new place, MC Chaloin, also on St. Joseph in Hull, this time north/east from Galleries de Hull by several blocks. Really cool chocolates, give the pepper ones a try!

Fresh corn on the cob: Parkdale market, the southernmost stall. Get there early in the day or they will be out of the sweet caramel, but if you get there in time it is the best corn that you don't pick from your own garden. (they sell only their own, or if they buy from neighboring farms they make it clear, so you know what you are getting from them)

So, what are some of your favorites?

PS: Feel free to make similar threads for other cities.

Last edited by Tad; 11-24-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default A few spots...

First off, I have to second the Works. I have one within walking distance of me, so the SO and I will do takeout and bring it home to avoid the line ups waiting for a table.

I mentioned this place in the other Ottawa thread, but I'll mention it again- Pho Moonlight in Kanata. Vietnamese restaurants have popped up everywhere in Ottawa over the last few years. Pho Thi on Merivale, across from Future Shop, is excellent as well.

Pizza- I have to vote for Gabriel's. They're all over town, but I find their pizza way better than the larger chains.

I've always had a soft spot for Lone Star fajitas, but I've found lately they don't seem quite as good as they used to be and I'm not sure why...anyone else notice this??

Has anyone been to Friday's on Elgin? I've wanted to go there for a long time and just haven't gotten around to it. (I've heard good things about it, but I also want to check it out because it's reputedly haunted...food and spirits...pun intended and instantly regretted...)
Old 08-10-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
fatgirl33
Just doodlin'

fatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 club

Whenever I'm in Ottawa (or in Montreal) on business, I try to go to Cora's for breakfast. They have great stuff! And portions that are plenty big, too.

Brenda
Old 08-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
ciaobella

ciaobella can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesciaobella can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Hmm here are a couple suggestions, some I've tried personally and some are suggestions from people I trust that I haven't had the chance to go to yet.

Italian - Giovanni's on Preston if you don't mind it being slightly pricey or Ambrosia in Aylmer if you do. I love the ravioli & sea scallop dish at Giovanni's and the Sphaghetti Ambrosia (prociutto, goat cheese and roasted red peppers mmmm). I wouldn't go for the tiramisu at either though as my recipe is by far the best I've ever tasted. Friends and family agree. PM me if you would like it.

Indian - Light of India on Bank.

Greek - Souvlaki House. Apparently their garlic bread & roasted garlic and tatziki is to die for... their plates are huge (or so I've been told) so that is good for us dimmers.

Seafood - One Fish, Two Fish. Their calamari is excellent (11$) and their shrimp and sea scallop bucatini is my fav. dish (21$). Servings aren't huge but I don't mind that when it's really good food.

Shawarma - We like La Shish on Merivale when we don't make it ourselves. PM if you want that recipe as well. I hear Shawarma Palace on Carling is excellent as well.

Bakklava - Definitely La Brioche on Bank. I am in sugar heaven the minute I enter the place! :P

Stir Fry - I have a penchant for Mongolian Village (Robertson Road) because I adore calamari and they almost always have it as an option.

We have also recently discovered Jack Aster's in Kanata. LOVE their garlic pan bread. My stomach can't handle the cheesy version, but I drool everytime others have it around me. So good. Their baja shrimp tacos are great with spicy chili sauce (you have to ask for the sauce). Made my version of them this week at home... still missing something. Need to do more research.

We live near a Montana's and I must say their wings, nachos, spinach dip, garlic cheese bread, ribs, sirloin steak, fajitas (huge portion omg!) and backwoods chichen grill burger with cheese and pemeal bacon are really good. We eat there quite often and haven't been disappointed. I'll specify it is the one on Merivale simply cause they are not all created equal in my mind.

Anyway, hope this helps someone. If I think of anymore I'll be sure to share.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks! Please keep them coming

Bella: Oh, I love bakklava if it is done well, but that can be hard to find. Where along Bank Street is La Brioche? (I'm pretty sure I've seen it, but I can't quite place where I've seen it). Also good to see you post....I've not noticed you around lately, so glad to see you are still visiting at least occasionally

Does anyone have a favorite gellato place? I've had some great gelatto...in other cities. The gellato in Ottawa has been good, but so far I can't say I've found any that was great.

Finally, one more suggestion: Pizza! I always tend to prefer the independents over the big chains. I grew up on the pizza from Bella Vista (Alta Vista @ Bank street) and it is still really good. A lot of my friends still swear by the Collonade on Metcalfe. I think my current favorite is Carlos, a little place in the Wellington West area (except on Friday nights. I think the elderly Italian ladies that normally run the place take Friday nights off, and it just isn't quite the same).
Old 08-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
ciaobella

ciaobella can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesciaobella can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

lol @ Carlos! My aunt and uncle swear by them!

Louis pizza in the east end of town is great as well.

La brioche is in the glebe area of Bank, sorta where the glebe ends and you head towards South Keys...

I never actually left the boards. I just don't always have anything to add. I find it hard to pierce this community and find my place\voice. I haven't given up though.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
~nai'a~

~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaobella View Post
lol @ Carlos! My aunt and uncle swear by them!

Louis pizza in the east end of town is great as well.

La brioche is in the glebe area of Bank, sorta where the glebe ends and you head towards South Keys...

I never actually left the boards. I just don't always have anything to add. I find it hard to pierce this community and find my place\voice. I haven't given up though.
I can really understand what you feel because I'm new here...
Finding your space or voice, like you said, is not that easy. I'll see what hapends and I stay positive!!

edx: concerning gelato, friends told me about a place on the market in Ottawa that is supposed to be really good. They have chocolates and are reputed for the gelato. I'm not quite sure exactly where but I know it's inside a building of some sort.

ciobella: I really like the shawarma's at Maroush in Gatineau. When I go to visit a friend of mine, we usually make a stop there. I think there is one on St-Joseph boulevard too, in Hull. In Aylmer, forget it: nothing!!
Old 08-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Excellent!!

Awesome suggestions everyone, this is great! I knew I had to get out more...

I'll vouch for Jack Astor's in Kanata, but it also happens to be the loudest place I've ever been to. Maybe I've gone at bad times, but there are always lots of families with kids when I've been there. Just a heads up if that sort of thing bothers you.

Of course across the street at the Canadian Tire is Glen's chipwagon, one of the best, and busiest, in this part of the city...
Old 08-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
ciaobella

lol too funny, I used to go to Glen's with my uncle and cousins all the time when I was a kid!!

Seems there are at least a few of us from the same area of Ottawa by the sounds of it...

nai'a thanks for the shawarma suggestions, my friend that usually makes them for us will be happy to hear there are take-out places that are decent in his neck of the woods as well.

edx: there is a gelato place on preston that is really good (can't remember the name but the sign is fairly distinctive, they do pastries as well) and I believe the place down town is called piccolo grande or something along those lines.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
Tad
mostly harmless

Thanks for the gelato suggestions. I'll have to make it a point, in the remains of summer (if we ever get any more sunny days ?!?) to tour them and make a comparison

How about stores for ingredients?

We keep finding great stuff at the Ottawa Bagel Shop on Wellington.....like smoked salmon puree (makes putting together a bagel with smoked salmon and cream cheese easier and cheaper), an amazing selection of balsamic vinegars (although mostly out of our price range), tofu cream cheese (for my lactose intolerant wife), and they often have really good soft cheeses on sale because they are pretty much ripe and need to be eaten (they have a great cheese selection, but mostly more expensive than we're willing to pay).

Any other suggestions for lesser known places for various ingredients?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:54 AM   #11
~nai'a~

~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed

For ingrediants, I really like to visit the Mid East Food Center on St-Laurent boul, in Ottawa.

http://www.mideastfoods.com/

Whne I'm there, I feel enveloped and find myself wanting to try new ingrediants from all over the world!

It's like you've stepped out of your car and you are standing somewhere else in the world... I'ts like your on a trip! I juste love going there!

You will find food but also all types of things like beauty prodocts, kitchen ustensils, CD's, books, etc...

Now I think I will go tomorrow.... It's been too long!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #12
ciaobella

lol great minds think alike. I was going to suggest the Middle East Food Store on Bank actually. That's where I get everything I need for my home made shawarmas. Plus they have really fresh pita there. Mmmm pita.

I would also suggest Nicastro's on Merivale for all things Italian. Prices in general aren't too bad but depends what you are looking for naturally.

Our regular haunt is the Farm Boy on Merivale cause I love their selection of cheese, fresh bread and deli meat. Prices seem rather reasonable to me and I love that even with cheese I can buy many small pieces of different varieties for 3$ or so each. Oh and do try their potato scallion bread it is sooooooo delish. Only thing we don't buy there is the fresh meat cause they never cut and clean them right. For that sort of thing you can't really beat Costco.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #13
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaobella View Post
l Only thing we don't buy there is the fresh meat cause they never cut and clean them right. For that sort of thing you can't really beat Costco.
When we first moved up to Ottawa from Kitchener/Waterloo we barely ate meat the first year, because it seemed so expensive and so bad up here! In K-W there are big, weekly, farmer's markets, where a lot of people sell meat directly, and the quality and price was excellent. When we go down to visit we try to come back with a cooler chest loaded up with meat from the market there!

Anyway, we now do a mix of cheap and good. For cheap, the Yours at Carling & Woodroffe (across from Carlingwood) puts their meat which needs to be used in the next couple of days on at half price. So every couple of weeks we'll go down and stock up, freezing most of it and using some for dinner that day. It is a bit hit and miss what they have, and what it is, but that gives us some cheap meat. I think some of the other Yours stores do the half price clearance thing too, but I'm not positive.

For good, we go to Sasloves, a butcher on Wellington St. West (they also have a location in the market, but I think it is a little more expensive). Very good quality meat, but more expensive than the super-markets. But you get what you pay for sometimes, and especially with the chicken we notice the difference in flavor (as in: it has some).
Old 08-21-2008, 06:10 AM   #14
Tad
mostly harmless

Default Coffee!

Here is a topic near and dear to my heart--where to go to get good coffee?

I like the Bridgehead chain pretty well, so I think that is always a safe choice. In the market Planet Coffee is always kind of funky and seems to have decent java. In Hull, where I work, La Brulerie on Montcalme has seemed pretty good the few times I've been in there.

Any other recommendations for coffee shops? I'm always willing to try out another one
Old 08-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #15
moonshadow

moonshadow has said some nice things
Default Also a Planet Coffee fan

I have been searching for a good coffee place in Ottawa for a while, but I agree that Planet Coffee is pretty good.

Ciaobella is correct on the baklava ... nothing compares to LaBrioche on Bank Street. Mind you, the Baklava at the Greek Festival each year is fantastic.

If you keep going to the south end of Bank St, you will find a gem of a restaurant called Flying Piggy's. Very small, very funky, great food.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #16
moonshadow

moonshadow has said some nice things
Default Sri Lankan anyone?

A really great restaurant, that isn't expensive is Ceylonta on Somerset. It isn't terribly fancy, but the food is fantastic.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #17
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
A really great restaurant, that isn't expensive is Ceylonta on Somerset. It isn't terribly fancy, but the food is fantastic.
Oh yes!!!!!!!! When my wife and I moved to Ottawa back in '95 we lived not far from there, and discovered it I think not long after it opened. We've been going back ever since. It is possibly my wife's favorite restaurant. It isn't as cheap as it used to be, but it is still a very good price for the food.

I wonder if there is anywhere in the city that sells the type of noodles they use to make the 'string hoppers' because I love those, should figure out how to make them at home
Old 09-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #18
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

If you're interested in driving a little south of town, to Manotick, you should try the Chicken Kiev at Hard Stones Grill (5511 Manotick Main St.). At 14 bucks, I'd almost consider it pricey, but it was worth it! We had ours with a fabulous baked potato (yes even the potato itself was good) and crispy veggies.

Oh, and the garlic dressing on the salad is pretty much orgasmic.

Don't bother dressing up to go to Hard Stones; It's a casual, family-style place.

Hardstones map.jpg

We found this place while checking out some of the locks and historic sites along the Rideau River. If the drive to the restaurant is hard to justify, make a day of it, and call it 'Educational'.

Also, if you're interested in poppyseed streudel, you ought to lug home one of the monsters from the Rideau Bakery (one location on Rideau Street, and another one on Bank Street -- although some Shoppers Drug Marts carry their goods as well). These things are dense. Thick and heavy with so much poppyseed, you can't help but make a mess that you'll be only too happy to lick up. There's a bit of raisin in it as well, if that's an issue, but mostly just pounds and pounds of poppyseed in a kind of egg-bread looking pastry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx View Post

PS: Feel free to make similar threads for other cities.