Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Event Discussion (Archive Only)

Old 10-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #26
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx View Post
Mother Tuckers has consistently disappointed. It is in the Byward Market (major restaurant/tourist area), and is an all you can eat buffet, with roast beef as well as all sorts of other things. Sounds great, even if it is not all that cheap. But we went there I think three times over many years, and left disappointed each time. Simply put, not much of the food was tasty enough to make us really want to eat that much.
Slightly off-topic here, geographically at least, but we stopped at the Mother Tuckers (or was it Tucker's Marketplace?) in Belleville I think, one time driving toward Toronto from Ottawa.

They did not tell us that they were going to close in less than an hour, and that they would not be replenishing the items.

We felt cheated, and not respected as customers.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #27
Ichida

Ichida can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesIchida can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesIchida can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

i HATE when they do that!

We are regulars at an all you can eat place (ok place) and when they pulled that stunt on me I told them i was never going to come back and the supervisor came out and looked at them aghast and said "They are REGULARS!"

It is nice to know your repeat business is appreciated but on the other hand...if I walked in there for the first time I still expect to be treated with respect and get FED!!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #28
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichida View Post

It is nice to know your repeat business is appreciated but on the other hand...if I walked in there for the first time I still expect to be treated with respect and get FED!!
I know what you mean...it's nice to be valued on your first visit there, but it's hard not to think you should get a little something for being a regular as well...

Like you, I'm of two minds on the subject.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #29
SpecialK

SpecialK can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSpecialK can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSpecialK can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I was scolded by edx for not posting in this thread since he figures being east of Kingston I'm closer to Ottawa than Waterloo!

I had a delicious dinner at a restaurant called Capones (I think that's the name) in Ottawa somewhere.

Kingston also has some great restaurants, although not fat-friendly. Woodenheads has great gourmet pizza, but the restaurant is so crowded and the tables are close together.
Frankie Pestos and Fasooli's for delicious Italian food, but again, not really fat-friendly seating, especially in the booths.
Of course, there is White Mountain ice cream.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #30
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh, must note those names! Kingston makes a great road trip distance from Ottawa, would be nice to have a restaurant all picked out ahead of time, next time that the boy is off at cub camp for a weekend

The Kingston restaurant I've heard about most is called something like the Flying Pig (I think....has 'pig' in there somewhere.....) in downtown Kingston. Not sure if it is more of a tourist trap or actually good. Do you know where I'm talking about, and have you been?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #31
SpecialK

SpecialK can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSpecialK can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSpecialK can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

That would be "Chez Piggy" and no I've never been but I've heard good things about it. From what I recall, it's a bit more upscale.

As for Gananoque eats, I'd recommend the Gananoque Inn (Musky Jake's) on Stone Street, or the Maple Leaf restaurant on King St kind of across from the Town Hall. The Golden Apple is probably the best known restaurant in Gan, although I've never actually eaten there and lately it seems to going through some growing pains/operational challenges. Not sure if it's open at the moment or not. I got a raw burger at Good Time Charly's at the Best Western once so I tend to avoid going there. I've been to the Bravo once and I was pleasantly surprised since it didn't look like anything special from the outside. I've heard it can be hit or miss though. Looks like they'd make a good breakfast. (Probably pretty obvious where I live by this point. lol!)
Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #32
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Semi-related: 'date' spots in Ottawa?

We actually have managed to arrange for the elusive Saturday Evening Babysitter this coming Saturday. Most often we've had a babysitter on a week night, and we maybe grab late supper, or do some poking around at stores of the type that would be painful with child in tow, or go get a drink and nachos, or something like that. Since we actually have a Saturday, I'd like to find an excuse to dress up at least moderately well and go somewhere/do something justifying the clothes. But we've not done something like that in sssooooooo long that my mind is pretty much blank (basically in the last ten years we've dressed up for weddings and funerals). Doesn't have to be suit and tie/fancy frock, but at least something justifying (or at least making reasonable) pulling out a sports jacket and nice shirt for me and a silk blouse for her....

Anyone have any ideas for me?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #33
SpecialK

Hmmn... anything on at the NAC? What about a smaller theatre? Anywhere they play live music? Stand up comedy?

What are you both interested in?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #34
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
That would be "Chez Piggy" and no I've never been but I've heard good things about it. From what I recall, it's a bit more upscale.
Zal Yanovsky's (RIP) old place...never been, but always wanted to go...more so to maybe meet Zal, but never had the chance...saw him walking down Princess St. once, but didn't work up the nerve to speak to him...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zal_Yanovsky
Old 10-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #35
Ichida

Ichida can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesIchida can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesIchida can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

As an aside I love girls and guys in silk shirts - it hugs rolls SOOO well!! What a perfect garment to wear while going out to eat.

Not really up in Ottawa, but if you are ever by Peason Intl there is a GREAT italian place called topiary's steak and seafood. High class dress. Food is good but the atmo makes it SOO worth it.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #36
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichida View Post
As an aside I love girls and guys in silk shirts - it hugs rolls SOOO well!! What a perfect garment to wear while going out to eat.
Agreed! (and I like silk in general ) However all of her silk blouses are a bit older, so at least a size big. They may still look OK because of how well silk drapes, but they don't have that silk over fat rolls bonus touch. C'est la vie!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:24 AM   #37
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default "Oh to live on....Sugar Mountain..." Neil Young

There's a thread started on the Foodie board dedicated to Swedish Fish. (The candy, of course...) Thinking of it made me want to give props to Sugar Mountain, as I often frequent their larger location in the Market. (On William St. Mall)

As far as their bulk selection of candy, to be honest, you can get some of it much cheaper at a Bulk Barn...but you can mix it all together in one bag if you want at SM! It's also the place to go to get weird American candies like "Abaa Zabba"(sp?). (Made famous, for me anyways, in the movie "Half Baked".)

Any place with separate sections for Gummis, Chocolates, Jellybeans, and Licorice is amazing in my book. (I avoid the licorice myself though...meh...) They're always playing campy 70's and 80's songs in the store, and the decor follows suit. Fun!

Personal recommendations- the chocolate-covered cookie dough, followed closely by the chocolate-covered brownie bits. Both in the same bag, heavier on the cookie dough- PARADISE!!!
Old 12-19-2008, 02:21 PM   #38
Tad
mostly harmless

My wife and I tried an Ethiopian restaurant for the first time last week. I forget the exact name, but it was on Wellington West, near the Giant Tiger.

One of those brilliant combinations of quality and cost that you sometimes get at little ethnic restaurants. I think the whole meal--enough to leave us stuffed and unable to eat the last tasty bites, accompanied by spiced tea, came to about thirty bucks. (We are going back tonight with our ten year old, will see how that goes....)

I've seen a few Ethiopian restaurants around, so if there was one near you, maybe give it a try. It is mildly spicy, somewhat similar spicing to Indian food, but not as hot, and with more emphasis on meat.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #39
SpecialK

I'm going to be in Ottawa next weekend to see John Pinette at the NAC.

I think we're having dinner at Metropolitain (a French bistro). My date knows Ottawa much better than I do so I'm leaving that up to him.

Breakfast the following morning is apparently going to be at a bakery in the market.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #40
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post

Breakfast the following morning is apparently going to be at a bakery in the market.
Maybe The French Baker? Awesome croissants and such. If that is what you like for breakfast, its a great choice

If you prefer your classic eggs, sausage, potatoes diner breakfast, I'd venture the hike down Elgin street to the Elgin Street Diner. Quite a good breakfast, with awesome mashed potatoes (seriously, almost as good as mine!). Also 99 cent cappuccino, which is almost worth it right there from my point of view

Anyway, wherever you eat, please let us know how you liked it!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #41
BBW Soultra

BBW Soultra has said some nice things

Elgin street diner has been a great spot for 3am after bar munchies!

I also second Louis' Pizza and Lonestar as was previously stated on the
thread...I love Louis' gravy, it has a hint of cinnamon and I find that it's
the perfect touch to their poutines...which have changed recently, they used to be oven baked in a tin dish but last I went they were served
only on a plate...so i'm not sure if it was a one time thing...i sure hope so!

Lonestar does have the best fajitas in town!
They also have the best homemade nacho chips and salsa!

I'd also like to add Biggs on St-Laurent...good food and big portions!
Their zucchini sticks and burgers are so yum yum delicious!!!

Shawarma King on rideau st. is hands down the best...well at least
now it's the best, my buddy used to own a little wagon on bank st
near the civic centre but got pushed out by bagel time! They didnt
like the fact that he was giving them competition at lunch time!

I've also discovered indian cuisine and i tried this little place called
Mukut Indian Restaurant which is also on rideau st...i'm a sucka
for the butter chicken!

For egg rolls there's a place called Wings on Montreal rd.
It's a little dive but for great take-out and not too expensive
they are the place!

This thread is really making me hungry just thinking about all this food!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #42
Tad
mostly harmless

Default "Memories" in the market

We had a baby sitter on Saturday night, and decided we'd take the bus downtown-ish, grab a couple of coffees on Bank street, wander past the tulip beds on parlement hill, then rewards ourselves by grabbing dessert in the market.

Well, most places in the market don't even show dessert on their menus these days, it seems! (at least not on the menus posted outside). We were literally about to give up when I said "Let's go to that one last place, the last before we hit Sussex, then we can give up." That last place ended up being "Memories" which turns out to be a dessert place. Well, they do have some regular food items too, but it is clear that their main focus is on dessert.

Like most dessert places I found the servings to be too big and too sweet for my taste, but that aside pretty good. I had the chocolate decadence or something like that, which had a massive layer of chocolate (ganache, truffle, some description like that) in the middle. My wife had chocolate-raspberry something-or-other, and I'd say it was better, with the raspberry playing nicely against the chocolate.

For me the highlight was my bowl of hot chocolate. European-style hot chocolate, that reminded me of what I used to get at Cafe Whim if any of you have been around Ottawa to remember that place. It is made with steamed milk, and is not so sweet. My wife had one of their extensive list of spiked coffees, and it was good too.

The room itself was of modest size and improbably noisy--I think the result of a hard wood floor and old-fashioned tin ceiling and lack of soft surfaces to absorb the sound bouncing between the too. But it was not painfully loud, just a bit more hubbub than I'd expect for the size and nature of it. They also have a large and quite nice looking patio, which we sat out at while waiting for a table inside, if it had been a bit warmer I think we'd have sat outside quite happily.

I would go back for sure, at the least for the hot chocolate and spiked coffee. I think next time I'll try one of the fruit crumbles instead of the cake, but that is more a matter of taste I think. Certainly a lot of other customers were happily devouring slices of cake.

So, not a home run, but if you are looking to go out for dessert in the market, an entirely decent choice.

As for accessibility for big folk, it was all tables (no booths). The chairs were reasonably solid looking, but things were a little cramped. I'd say it was possible for people of any size, but might be bit uncomfortable inside for those with super-sized hips. I don't recollect how solid the patio furniture looked.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #43
chris_yvr

chris_yvr has said some nice things

My vote goes to Maroush shawarma on Elgin.
It's the first place I go to eat when I'm in Ottawa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EWcgZ_XC5I
Old 05-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #44
sexycutiepie

sexycutiepie has said some nice things

I live in Ottawa,best italien is on Bank Street called Flying Piggy's ...amazing...
Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #45
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexycutiepie View Post
I live in Ottawa,best italien is on Bank Street called Flying Piggy's ...amazing...
1) Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to try it out sometime! (errr, where along Bank Street? It is a long street! Although I'm sure I could look it up if I have to....)

2) Hey, welcome to Dimensions, great to have another Ottawan on the boards I hope we'll see more posts from you, wherever around the boards, eventually

Last edited by Tad; 05-19-2009 at 07:29 AM. Reason: spelling fix
Old 03-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #46
MattB

Default Bump!

Okay...bumping this old thread since I started a new thread on the Foodie Board about Arby's.

So Arby's has finally opened up in Ottawa (Kanata specifically...) so I thought if any Ottawa foodies here have tried it you can share your thoughts here too. So far I'm kinda 'meh' about it, but for whatever reason the place is absolutely packed all day. Not really qualified for "Best food in/around......Ottawa?" yet, but I'm still curious...

Anyone have any new fave places in town? I didn't do much exploring over the winter...

I assume that Tad will have some input post-Lent???
Old 03-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #47
bustymummy

bustymummy has said some nice things

We really have Arby's back? It was here years ago where the Lick's on Banks st. was (I think it's a car rental place now). I used to go as a kid so it's more of a novelty but I can't go cross boarder or to kingston without stopping for it!

Where specifically is it?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #48
MattB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustymummy View Post
We really have Arby's back? It was here years ago where the Lick's on Banks st. was (I think it's a car rental place now). I used to go as a kid so it's more of a novelty but I can't go cross boarder or to kingston without stopping for it!

Where specifically is it?
Hazeldean Rd. in Kanata, it used to be a Burger King. Take the Castlefrank exit off the 417...
Old 03-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #49
Tad
mostly harmless

Hopefully I'll stay away again until after Easter*, but I had a lapse in willpower today and dropped in to check a few of my favorite boards, and saw Matt's post.

In the early nineties I worked in suburban Montreal for a couple of years, and there was a mall near me with an Arby's in the food court. I ate there rather more than I should have, given how little I was making at the time and size of my phone bills from staying in touch with my gf/fiancee. The crazy thing was that it wasn't all that good....at least never as good as I wanted it to be. All the same, a mediocre roast beef sandwich is still better than no roast beef sandwich!

If I was still working in Kanata (or given that I'm in the tech industry, maybe I should say: when I'm working in Kanata again) I'd definitely make a trip down there occasionally, in hopes that somehow they'd serve me a _good_ roast beef sandwich

Also, great to see that Arby's lured someone out from the woodwork--glad you posted, bustymummy, and I hope that we'll hear more from you!

-Tad

* I'm not religious, but I like the idea of having a time each year to give something up or take something on, so I tend to do something for Lent, in some low key sort of way. This year I've been trying to give up Dimensions (and to some degree similar sites). Not so easy, given that I have a dozen or so year habit of coming here! But after this breakdown today hopefully I'll get back on track.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #50
MattB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Hopefully I'll stay away again until after Easter*, but I had a lapse in willpower today and dropped in to check a few of my favorite boards, and saw Matt's post.

(snip)

-Tad

* I'm not religious, but I like the idea of having a time each year to give something up or take something on, so I tend to do something for Lent, in some low key sort of way. This year I've been trying to give up Dimensions (and to some degree similar sites). Not so easy, given that I have a dozen or so year habit of coming here! But after this breakdown today hopefully I'll get back on track.
No worries Tad, you didn't miss a thing around here...