Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Event Discussion (Archive Only)

Old 03-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #51
abel

abel can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Finally, one more suggestion: Pizza! I always tend to prefer the independents over the big chains. I grew up on the pizza from Bella Vista (Alta Vista @ Bank street) and it is still really good. A lot of my friends still swear by the Collonade on Metcalfe.
I live in Japan, but if I'm in Ottawa these two really rock!

I also liked the Nate's Deli, smoked meat sandwiches on Rideau.

It's generally an awesome city for food. Two many places to mention, I've only talked about the low-end inexpensive stuff here.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #52
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Not a lot new to add here, haven't eaten out much lately and none of that was memorable, but a couple of quick comments.

- Was talking to someone who has made a serious project of trying out different places around the city for breakfast, and he said his favorite was on Brookfield (runs from Bronson to Riverside, then turns into Hog's Back until Prince of Whales, then turns into Meadowlands.....got to love Ottawa streets names!). The only place for breakfast on Brookfield that I'm aware of is what we used to call The Brookfield Confectionary (I grew up in that general area). I know it added an eating area years ago, but I never would have thought to have tried it. Still haven't been there (it is not convenient to us)--but have any of you tried breakfast there? If so, how did you like it?

- Had a discussion with some others about The Works recently, and they really didn't care for it much. The last time we went it didn't wow us, but we thought maybe it was just an off day....but maybe they are slipping? Any of you go there much and have an opinion?

- Having received a $50 gift certificate to "Steak" (new restaurant in the market), I took the boy there one night when my wife had other plans. It was fine, but didn't blow me away, and the gift certificate only covered a little over half the meal (we had an appetizer each, steak, and one glass of wine). Nothing especially wrong with it, just not at all sure that the price is worth it. The ambiance didn't appeal to me much either, but if you tend to like restaurants in the market you may like it well enough....very open plan, airy, and loud, while I prefer muted, divided up, and more hushed.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #53
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

I swear I go to places other than Fast Food and Chip Trucks, but...

"Wee Chippy" chip truck behind the Tim Horton's on Eagleson Road in Kanata...Amazing Poutine!
Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #54
CuppyCakeSSBBW

CuppyCakeSSBBW can now change their title

I used to love Buffalo Charlie's, in the market. They had the best 4-cheese baked pasta. I'm pretty sure they've closed now though.

I'm still all about the Lone Star when I'm in Ottawa. Of course, now we have Santa Fe here in Brockville, and it's even better, so no need to make the trip as often. lol
Old 04-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #55
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Not in, and only 'around' by loose definition, but I was once assured by a native of the small town of Athens (down towards the St. Lawrence, but not right on it) that the chip wagon in town there made the best poutine anywhere. Amongst other things apparently it used cheese curds from the Forfar cheese factory....although I think since then that it has stopped making its own cheese, so I don't know how well this assertion would hold up.

But other nominations for the best poutine in the area?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:22 AM   #56
Mama_Baer

Mama_Baer has said some nice things

Best poutine I have found in Ottawa is S&J Fries on Carling just east of Maitland...(In the parking lot of the Produce Depot which by the way has the best selection and prices for fresh produce).
But back to poutine.
This guy is amazing! He uses curds from St Albert which happen to be a personal preferance of mine.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #57
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Hour and a half wait for Pizza delivery in Ottawa tonight...game night of course...

Last edited by MattB; 04-16-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Specified 'delivery', like I'd leave the house 5mins before the game starts.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #58
Mama_Baer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Baer View Post
Best poutine I have found in Ottawa is S&J Fries on Carling just east of Maitland...(In the parking lot of the Produce Depot which by the way has the best selection and prices for fresh produce).
But back to poutine.
This guy is amazing! He uses curds from St Albert which happen to be a personal preferance of mine.

Whoops! My mistake!
Its "S&G Fries"..
Went there today and shared a poutine with the hubby!
Delish!
Old 05-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #59
patmcf

patmcf has super-sized reppatmcf has super-sized reppatmcf has super-sized reppatmcf has super-sized rep

Shawarma Palace.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #60
~nai'a~

~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmcf View Post
Shawarma Palace.
Did I read Shawarma??

Miss shawarma needs to know where to find this Palace...

patmcf, help!!! Hahahahahaa!
Old 05-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #61
patmcf

patmcf has super-sized reppatmcf has super-sized reppatmcf has super-sized reppatmcf has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~nai'a~ View Post
Did I read Shawarma??

Miss shawarma needs to know where to find this Palace...

patmcf, help!!! Hahahahahaa!
464 Rideau Street.

They have beer and shisha
Old 05-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #62
~nai'a~

~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed

I am so there next week end!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:15 AM   #63
Tad
mostly harmless

Default I've got a request

Hot weather always makes me crave things like Thai food, but I've not found thai in Ottawa that I really liked all that much.

Anyone have suggestions for Thai food around around? The Siam bistro is in our neighborhood, and it isn't bad, but I don't find the flavors to be as lively as in some Thai food that I've had in other cities.

So, anyone have personal favorites, or places to stay away from?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #64
gypsy
gone

gypsy makes people happy simply by logging ingypsy makes people happy simply by logging ingypsy makes people happy simply by logging ingypsy makes people happy simply by logging ingypsy makes people happy simply by logging ingypsy makes people happy simply by logging ingypsy makes people happy simply by logging ingypsy makes people happy simply by logging ingypsy makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgirl33 View Post
Whenever I'm in Ottawa (or in Montreal) on business, I try to go to Cora's for breakfast. They have great stuff! And portions that are plenty big, too.

Brenda
Brenda, the good news is, Cora's has been exploding around southern Ontario - There are a couple around Hamilton area, and I have seen a few others around the 'burbs of the GTA. Check near you - there has to be one close by now!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #65
patmcf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Hot weather always makes me crave things like Thai food, but I've not found thai in Ottawa that I really liked all that much.

Anyone have suggestions for Thai food around around? The Siam bistro is in our neighborhood, and it isn't bad, but I don't find the flavors to be as lively as in some Thai food that I've had in other cities.

So, anyone have personal favorites, or places to stay away from?
If you want great Thai food I suggest taking a day trip to Kingston. There is an excellent variety there, however, Mango on Princess street is absolutely amazing and it is really affordable as well.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #66
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'd also advise a trip to Cornwall, which I believe is a bit closer than Kingston. We have 3 Thai restaurants

They are: J&T, Moon, and Thum's Kitchen.

J&T and Moon are owned by the same person and have the exact same menu as each other. I prefer the atmosphere of J&T though. A little more lively and cheery. Moon is very quiet and stern-looking. But all the same stuff

Thum's Kitchen is pretty awesome. She used to operate out of Moose Creek but finally moved to a much bigger place inside Cornwall and is right near North End Pizzeria. It's at the North end of Pitt Street beside a Greek resto called Philo's. Anyone who's been to Cornwall before might know the place as Bob Auline's old building. It was a sports bar just recently, and a nightspot before that. Here's to hoping Thum's Kitchen will last longer than all the rest because Thum really deserves that kind of success and hopefully she'll be the one to stay there
Old 07-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #67
MattB

Default Sushi??

Any recommendations for a good Sushi place in Ottawa? Going to try Sushi Kanata soon, but I'd be willing to travel to find a good place....like, all the way to the East End if necessary.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #68
Tad
mostly harmless

Matt, I like sushi, but I'm miles from an expert....I know what you get at the supermarket isn't that good, but I can't promise I'd be able to tell the sublime from the adequate.

That disclaimer out of the way:

- I kind of like Sushi Umi on Wellington Street West (near the Bagel Shop, a few blocks west of Holland). And my wife really likes their miso soup, as well as the sushi.

- Also there is one in Gatineau (old Hull), on St. Joseph a little north/west (away from Ottawa) from Galleries de Hull (shares a strip mall with a Penningtons, across the road from a Zellers....but I don't remember the name) that a couple of co-workers were a big fan of, but I've not tried it myself.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #69
MattB

Thanks Tad! I'll be on the Gatineau side for work later this week and I'll check it out. I'll be in that area anyways...

I'm in and out of Westboro a few times a week too...
Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #70
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Thanks Tad! I'll be on the Gatineau side for work later this week and I'll check it out. I'll be in that area anyways...

I'm in and out of Westboro a few times a week too...
Matt, if you are along St. Joseph, do yourself a favor and stop into Fidelice (just a few blocks towards ottawa from Galleries de Hull). An amazing cake/pastry place. Take a cake home for that night, or just get an awesome chocolatine......best pastry in the city IMO.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #71
Mama_Baer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Any recommendations for a good Sushi place in Ottawa? Going to try Sushi Kanata soon, but I'd be willing to travel to find a good place....like, all the way to the East End if necessary.

We love Sushi Khan on Baseline just east of Merivale (past the Loblaws).
Our second favourite is Sakura on Merivale (right hand side, across from Red Lobster and Zellers)
Friends of ours love 1000 Island Sushi on Carling (Just before the big Canadian Tire) but frankly I have had issues with the service. The food however was fantastic, but bad service is a deal breaker for me.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #72
MattB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Baer View Post
We love Sushi Khan on Baseline just east of Merivale (past the Loblaws).
Our second favourite is Sakura on Merivale (right hand side, across from Red Lobster and Zellers)
Friends of ours love 1000 Island Sushi on Carling (Just before the big Canadian Tire) but frankly I have had issues with the service. The food however was fantastic, but bad service is a deal breaker for me.

Great suggestions, thanks!

Yeah, bad service is a deal breaker for me too. I've been in sales so long, I understand that people can have bad days but when you keep getting crappy service red flags go up.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #73
MattB

Bump! The Canada board will rise again!!!

I pass by the Richmond Bakery a few times a week, anyone been? Recommendations??
Old 07-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #74
Tad
mostly harmless

No idea on the Richmond bakery, sorry.

My office is moving from Gatineau to Ottawa--more specifically we'll actually be near "Little Italy" (i.e. Preston Street). I know that strip a little bit, but far from well. Anyone have any favorites along there that I should check out at lunch sometime?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #75
MattB

Tad- Weird...at the time you posted yesterday, I would've been passing by the Richmond Bakery (without stopping) again...I can't be certain if it was the EXACT moment, but I know it was about 10am or thereabouts since I had the CFRA newscast on. I was headed to Smiths Falls...

Weird Dims Synchronicity...