Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Event Discussion (Archive Only)

Old 11-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #101
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

I have to pimp the new TD Place. My season tickets for the RedBlacks has been, hands down, the best entertainment investment I've made. Before this year, I wasn't even a football fan. I got swept up in the whole Lansdowne revival project and decided to give it a shot. So glad I did, I'm a hardcore fan now. The 'new' stadium is beautiful, even with the ongoing construction around it.

I can't speak to the food aspect, my wonky digestive system precludes me from experimenting outside of my comfort zone so I didn't risk it, but along with the usual fare (Gabriel's) they really nailed it with some different vendors and beer options. Next year I'll risk it.

My biggest worry was the parking, or lack thereof, at the stadium. The shuttle buses worked fabulously, but after the second game I ended up walking myself from Carleton to the stadium. An easy walk down Sunnyside to Bank. Considering what a disaster it used to be at Lansdowne, and continues to be at the Senators games, a 15 minute walk is no big deal. I get back to Kanata in around the same length of time from downtown as it does from a Sens game...in Kanata!

Overall atmosphere at the games is incomparable. The in-game entertainment is, well, sort of lame, but I suspect that will improve by next year. The real fun is the fans. My section in the south side (north side sucks!) is loud and raucous, and I'm surrounded by more lumberjacks than you can shake a stick at. I can only imagine what it will be like when we actually start winning games. So much fun! I would recommend it to anyone, even if you don't like football I think it would be a fun night out. If you're local, you may have heard rumours of Mr. Shoebeer. It is real, and I sit about 4 or 5 rows behind him. I took this video early in the season, but the act never got tiring at every game. He kept us all on our toes with different methods of shoebeering...

http://chillpatch.tumblr.com/post/95...nd-mr-shoebeer
Old 02-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #102
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Rather than edit my comment from last November...!? I'll add another place. If you're down in the Market and like Indian food, try Haveli on Clarence St. I am no expert on Indian food, but it was absolutely amazing. Stunning even...

Now that the Kanata/Stittsvegas area is merging, there are some fantastic new places opening up. One place is 'Beyond The Batter' cupcakes, just across from the Value Village near Five Guys. I want to say it's your typical specialty-type shop with eclectic cupcake styles, and it is, but it's dang good! Go there! STAT.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:56 AM   #103
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Sounds about right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
"...I am no expert on Indian food, but it was absolutely amazing. Stunning even.."
Yeah, if it's delicious in that savory/pungent & sweet (although sometimes soft or crunchy) unique blend of flavors & textures; that is basically how it's supposed to taste.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #104
MattB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
Yeah, if it's delicious in that savory/pungent & sweet (although sometimes soft or crunchy) unique blend of flavors & textures; that is basically how it's supposed to taste.
I could live off of it.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:03 AM   #105
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

A couple of new ones (at least from my perspective).

1) "Ministry of Coffee" has been in business on Elgin Street for a while, but they just opened up another location in my 'hood, so they are new to me. I would summarize it as a hipster coffee shop, but they put me on to cold, 'nitrogen' coffee (they steep it overnight under nitrogen, then keep it in a cask like beer, filled with nitrogen), which lets them get a really interesting a full coffee taste without the yuckiness that coffee gets when exposed to oxygen for long. A very nice drink on a hot day, if you really like the taste of coffee.

2) Bridgehead (local 'fair trade' coffee chain of maybe 15 locations) is adding an 'evening menu' at their roastery location (just off Preston) and maybe other locations (we forgot to ask). Wife and I got to go to a sampling of the new menu last night, and everything we had ranged from good to outstanding. The weakest was the lamb stew, which was good but kind of forgettable. However the roasted vegetables with cumin and cardamon were amazing, the dates wrapped in bacon and prosciutto were worth a trip on their own, the beet salad was very nice, and the two desserts were fantastic (one was a very rich chocolate mousse type thing, the other I think they said was a coconut-banana-cream pie, but the flavours and textures were so light and crisp it was nothing like what I think of when I hear 'cream pie.'). The cocktails were fine, we didn't try the beer (local brews) or wines that they had.

I could totally see us going out to have an evening decaff coffee and splitting dessert or the dates.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:39 PM   #106
MattB

A quick bump as I've been trying a few different places lately, mostly food trucks, so I'll have some more in depth reviews coming up.

Ribfest- looks like I'm missing it this year. Has anyone (if anyone still reads this thread, or still visits the forums for that matter) been down there yet this week? I find it's been pretty much the same over the years, so I'll only be disappointed over missing it if there is anything new or different worth checking out.

On a non-food note, Spaceman Music on Gladstone is having their "garage sale" tomorrow morning starting at 10am for any musicians out there. I'm going to avoid that as well, as I can't be trusted when it comes to guitars and gear, etc.

I'm getting excited for football! Home opener is in a few weeks after the World Cup is done.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #107
~nai'a~

~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed

Yes, some of us still read this thread ....

Haven't been to rib fest either tough! Wanted to go but had other plans...
Old 06-22-2015, 04:39 AM   #108
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

We made our annual pilgrimage to ribfest on Friday night. Didn't notice anything different. Tried a different place, Blazing BBQ I think it was, and didn't like it as much as some of the others we have tried, but that is a personal taste thing, nothing wrong, just not my favorite flavoring I guess. Roasted corn was better than when I'd had it in the past, different vendor I think, who also had roasted yams, which were also good. Line up for the twisted potato was too long to bother this year.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:16 AM   #109
MattB

Ok, just a quick post to mention that Stittsville is pretty much the food truck capital of...the capital...

I just saw an article of ANOTHER truck opening on Carp Rd. Some quick math in my head, and I can think of SEVEN trucks within the Carp Rd./Hazeldean area alone.

This requires further investigation over the summer...
Old 02-06-2016, 09:48 AM   #110
MattB

Default Wow, what a long post...

So has anyone checked out the LeBreton proposals yet? I think they both look great. I thought the non-Sens bid would be much better given the heavyweights backing it, but surprisingly I think the Sens proposal is superior...! As much as I love the Sens, I didn't have much expectations from their bid. I find their day-to-day marketing and branding supremely boring and tiresome, but their proposal is fantastic.

Of course by the time the full site is developed, Tad and I will be in retirement homes. The arena will supposedly be done in a few years if the bid is accepted however. Seeing as how the NCC has left the site empty for 50 years, what's a few more decades? (Typical Ottawa)

I know this is the "best stuff around Ottawa" thread, but allow me to vent a little bit about the Senators- and not the on-ice performance...

I've gone to two games so far this season, my first ones in a few years. I have to say, the new arena needs to be built asap. CTC is not 'old', but it's starting to really look tired. They've invested in new 'luxury' boxes, which I'm sure will help generate revenue, but the same old pain in the butt cramped seating still exists. Aside from the tight squeeze seats for those of us burly types, it's way worse for anyone around 6ft tall or so. My knees are almost right against the seat in front of me and I'm 5'11. It's probably unfair to compare it to brand new TDPlace, but I can sit in those plastic chairs for a full football game and not even think about it.

The atmosphere is now shockingly bad. I swear it was never like this when I had season ticket packages during the Alfie years. It's a tomb, until we score. Even then it's not the same. My buddy who goes to RedBlacks games with me was at the Sabres game, his first in a few years, and he was blown away by the general malaise. Zero excitement. What happened? Granted, even when the joint was hopping I despised the in-game marketing. As I said, that's why I didn't have faith in the Sens development bid for downtown, but thankfully it appears they decided not to do the typical Senators approach.

Interesting twist though...they opened up a mini Farm Boy store in the arena. There was a guy in our row eating from a mixed vegetable platter. Bizarre.

Anyways, I'll end the rant with one last change I'd make...new uniforms. We need to either return to the original black uniforms, or can the Trojan once and for all. My vote is for the 'O' to be the full time jersey. Make it so!
Old 02-07-2016, 05:13 AM   #111
Tad
mostly harmless

Yah, both bids look a lot better than the muddy pits that we have there now! I'm more worried about what would actually get built in the end. Somehow the Sens bid felt more believable to me on that front.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:05 AM   #112
MattB

That's one of the things I noticed as well. The Devcore bid felt like they were trying to cram everything possible into that space.

Granted, those are some deep pockets they have...
Old 11-14-2016, 02:59 PM   #113
Tad
mostly harmless

*bump*

I’ve been remiss in not adding a couple of things to this thread.

In terms of breakfasts, our favorite by quite a margin these days is at the Lieutenants Pump on Elgin, just north of Gladstone. I remember the place as a packed bar from my somewhat younger days, and it still seems to do good business in that regard, but Saturday and Sunday mornings they serve a very nice breakfast at a price comparable to other places that serve similar but not as nice breakfasts. Your order always comes with some fresh fruit, and a small square of dark chocolate, the bacon, sausage, and ham have all proven to be quite good, they get their eggs done right, and so on. Nothing revolutionary, but everything is just done a bit better than at most other places.

All cleaned up for the morning crowd the place looks nice, with lots of stone and dark wood, and its multiple rooms -- although also with quite a nice patio for use in better weather. Also, it seems to be popular with fans of European Soccer – they have some of the screens showing those games, and that seems to pull in some soccer fans, which helps add a little more energy than you normally see at breakfast.

The Manx, also on the south end of Elgin street. You have to look carefully to find it, as it is down a flight of stairs. Worth the effort though, it is simply a pub done right. Not very big, which means that getting a table is probably the biggest problem with the place. But while its menu is short, the quality on it is high. A long list of both whiskeys and beers. A stash of board games, should you want to break one open. And they just get all the little details right, from the copper clad tables that help brighten up the room to solid but unassuming (and armless) chairs to always seeming to have good quality wait staff. The crowd is more downtown locals than people out to party, generally. It just generally has a great vibe to it, which is why it always seems busy, even after 23 years in business. It is a bit tightly packed, and has a somewhat low ceiling, which can combine to make it a bit loud at times, which I’d call its one drawback besides just being too popular.