Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 05-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
madvfxartist

madvfxartist has said some nice things
Default Question for the bisexuals

So, I have a question. I think I am bisexual, basically because I am really fickle and kinda go in shifts on who I am attracted to, men or women. My question is, is that normal? Sometimes your in a male mood, sometimes in a female mood? Am I just weird?

BTW I am not really out outside of the internet, I have only been in one relationship so, I am kinda new to everything....
madvfxartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Hmm, I don't have any set definition of what bi means. I have my own definition for my own sexuality, but it isn't the same as others. I think as long as you are clear in your own sexual desires, and you communicate that to your partner(s), then however you feel bi is perfectly OK and normal.

I'm monogamous, I prefer complete (sexual, emotional, mental, intimate, spiritual, committed, connected, etc) relationships with women, but I find certain men arousing. So I guess I'm a lesbian-identified bisexual, if that makes sense.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I think I know what you're saying. I consider myself bisexual but at times I feel more strongly attracted to one sex or the other but I always like both.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
madvfxartist

I get what your saying guys. I have been trying to sort out my feelings and myself more, but I still feel so confused sometimes...
Old 05-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I used to feel that way but I've decided to just let myself feel what I feel and go with the flow. No rush to put a label on myself.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Teleute
Heh heh. "Member".

Teleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging in

I do that occasionally - I'll find that one type is catching my eye a lot more for a period of time. Usually it's women (I lean toward the lesbian end of the spectrum anyway), but sometimes I'll find that I'm eyeing mostly men for a while. Trans/genderqueer people pretty much always catch my eye, heh.

If you're concerned about how it might affect your future relationships, don't worry so much - I'm married and monogamous, and I definitely still find my husband attractive during the "omg ladies" phases... I just switch my fantasy material for a while As you get more relationship experience, you may find that the strength of the 'cravings' diminishes so you have less of a back-and-forth effect, or you may find that you're happiest in an open relationship where you're able to act upon your moods.

Oh, and... I would certainly say you're bisexual. I sometimes feel that it shouldn't really matter what you call yourself, especially as you're just starting to explore your sexuality and gain relationship experience, but then again it's strangely reassuring to have a label sometimes. I go with "queer" myself, as I feel bisexual doesn't really cover everything involved in my sexuality.
Teleute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleute View Post
I do that occasionally - I'll find that one type is catching my eye a lot more for a period of time. Usually it's women (I lean toward the lesbian end of the spectrum anyway), but sometimes I'll find that I'm eyeing mostly men for a while. Trans/genderqueer people pretty much always catch my eye, heh.

If you're concerned about how it might affect your future relationships, don't worry so much - I'm married and monogamous, and I definitely still find my husband attractive during the "omg ladies" phases... I just switch my fantasy material for a while As you get more relationship experience, you may find that the strength of the 'cravings' diminishes so you have less of a back-and-forth effect, or you may find that you're happiest in an open relationship where you're able to act upon your moods.

Oh, and... I would certainly say you're bisexual. I sometimes feel that it shouldn't really matter what you call yourself, especially as you're just starting to explore your sexuality and gain relationship experience, but then again it's strangely reassuring to have a label sometimes. I go with "queer" myself, as I feel bisexual doesn't really cover everything involved in my sexuality.
This is totally unrelated (although, great post!) but I just wanted to point out we have the same birthday.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madvfxartist View Post
So, I have a question. I think I am bisexual, basically because I am really fickle and kinda go in shifts on who I am attracted to, men or women. My question is, is that normal? Sometimes your in a male mood, sometimes in a female mood? Am I just weird?
I'm this way, too. Ok, so I'm engaged now and not looking for partners, but I'll still LOOK when someone is hot And I go through the phases - for months I'll only see attractive men, and then it will flip and only women seem to look good (can you guess which phase my fiance prefers? haha).

So while I basically bounced from straight to lesbian, I always just said "bisexual" since it represents the average....
Old 05-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
Celestial Ceece
SSBBW Singer

Celestial Ceece carries a lot of weight on this boardCelestial Ceece carries a lot of weight on this boardCelestial Ceece carries a lot of weight on this boardCelestial Ceece carries a lot of weight on this boardCelestial Ceece carries a lot of weight on this board
Default Identity Crisis!

I identify as queer but have used the label "bisexual" because it is easier for "normal" people to understand what I mean by that. I am not particularly fond of the term bisexual though, because I think, for me anyway, it implies that my sexuality is black and white - men and women - binary. My sexuality is full of color and not defined by a label!

Now having said that, I have had different periods in my life where I was attracted to one gender more than the other, or a specific type of person. Being that I'm a grown-ass woman and around my sexual peak (30 years old right now - hoping my libido is good and strong like this for a WHILE), I am attracted to what I am attracted to and I don't like one type of person over another based on gender or what not. I just like what I like, and that's it!
Old 05-29-2009, 02:29 AM   #10
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch View Post
Hmm, I don't have any set definition of what bi means. I have my own definition for my own sexuality, but it isn't the same as others. I think as long as you are clear in your own sexual desires, and you communicate that to your partner(s), then however you feel bi is perfectly OK and normal.

I'm monogamous, I prefer complete (sexual, emotional, mental, intimate, spiritual, committed, connected, etc) relationships with women, but I find certain men arousing. So I guess I'm a lesbian-identified bisexual, if that makes sense.
Oh!! I think we have the same sexuality! If i was forced at gun point to describe my sexuality i think that would be it.
mergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:40 AM   #11
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I get what your saying guys. I have been trying to sort out my feelings and myself more, but I still feel so confused sometimes...
What do you find the most confusing/conflicting do you think?. That you are having feelings for both male and female but that you sometimes have a stronger preference at some times or that you think it would be difficult to explain this sexuality to other people (maby even partners).
I read a study a while ago that women prefer different types of men during different stages in their menstrual cycles;When they were ovulating they prefered a more manly looking man and when they are not they prefer a more feminine looking man. I'm not comparing your sexuality to this, i'm just illustrating that our sexuality can be fluid for a number of reasons, maby biological, psychological or even just because you happen to see more hotty ladies at one point which might inspire you and at another time you see more male hotties and this might inspire a wave of stronger feelings for men. If you can be fine with that then there should be no problems and as Melian said, it shouldn't get in the way of relationships as you can always direct your fantasies to whatever gender you are feeling strongly about. As for others, it really doesnt matter what they think, nor if they dont understand your sexuality, though i think most will. You are most certainly bisexual (if we are talking definitions, although there are so many shades of that) because you are attracted sexually to both male and female. Anyway, welcome on board, feel free to talkn this out cause we are all ears and other bits!
Old 05-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
madvfxartist

I guess I am confused most about how people would treat me. I mean, originally I am from Upstate New York, and even though my family is very liberal, I am pretty sure I would get days of lecture. I got a tattoo when I was 18, and I had been looking forward to it since I was a kid, and my whole family killed me for it. What if I brought a girlfriend home? I can't even imagine. I also worry about my friends. No one knows except my friend divals (his handle on here....anyone know him?), and a long time ago I asked them questions, trying to figure out what they would say, and I got a heavy negative result. I don't want to hide, but I don't want to be treated different than before.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:32 AM   #13
mergirl

I think this is a conflict for anyone who has ever had to 'come out'. Not wanting to hide v's not wanted to be treated differently. I think most of the time what happens is that people might feel and treat you differently for a short while after you come out, but when they get used to the idea and see that YOU as a person havn't changed things tend to go back to normal. The treating differently might not be negative either. A lot of people over compensate and will be over nice to you! It all depends of your friends and family and how you feel they will react. I know they reacted badly to a tattoo but sexuality isn;t something you can really chose. I dont think just bringing a girlfriend back and going "oh didn't i tell you i was bi?" would be the best approach..i think bringing it up in a more gentle way might be good. At the end of the day it is your decision whether or not to tell friends family. Personally, i have to get how i'm feeling out there and would feel awful if i had some sort of secret part to myself but then that is just me. I think if you actually had a girlfriend there would be more pressure on you to 'come out' as a lot of people feel uncomfortable being closeted or not being able to be themselves around thier partners friends and family. Do your parents have any gay friends? Maby you could bring up a pretend friend you know that 'came out' and see how they react!! lol. Its difficult i know and i would love to say with utter certainty that of course everything will be fine and of course evryone will accept you and have no problems. This is likely to be the case but sometimes it isn't, so its just a situation you are going to have to gauge for yourself. good luck. We are all here on call if you need any support.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
ToniTails
"so FLUFFY!"

ToniTails makes people happy simply by logging inToniTails makes people happy simply by logging inToniTails makes people happy simply by logging inToniTails makes people happy simply by logging inToniTails makes people happy simply by logging inToniTails makes people happy simply by logging inToniTails makes people happy simply by logging inToniTails makes people happy simply by logging inToniTails makes people happy simply by logging inToniTails makes people happy simply by logging in

For me, it depends on the person- male or female- physically, i am more attracted to women, tho --- i'm lucky my family knows and is very supportive --- my ex husband's family maybe not so much lol

Last edited by ToniTails; 06-02-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: typo
ToniTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl08 View Post
I used to feel that way but I've decided to just let myself feel what I feel and go with the flow. No rush to put a label on myself.
This exactly, except i'd replace the word "rush" with "need". I like who i like when i like them. Sometimes i find myself more attracted to females than males...othertimes i'm all about the boys. Whatever.
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #16
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have been attracted to both sexes for as long as I can remember not sure why tho'.I tend to think I was just born that way.
My Dr said after HRT and SRS I would more than likely be more attracted to the opposite sex but that hasn't been the case so far.
I have had a steady BF for about 3 years and we seem to click OK.
He knows all about my past and is so supportive of my bi-ness.He has no problem if I want to go out with a GF for a little girl on girl.
I do love him for that he's wonderful. Uber geeky but awesome non the less.
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
GWARrior

GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

no need to try and figure it out. humans have this annoying quality where they HAVE to try and explain everything.

you are attracted to some people, but not others. just enjoy yourself!

i looooove men, but there are plenty of women that im just as attracted to. lately ive been finding men that kinda look like women very sexy.
GWARrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:02 AM   #18
CupcakeWhisperer
hom nom nom

CupcakeWhisperer can now change their title

I think sexuality is a very present-tense thing for most people - whatever happens at the moment of attraction is the only reality that matters, and is a lot more pure than a binary prepackaged label. Realizing that made me a lot less confused. Keep that in mind but also read about the Kinsey scale.
CupcakeWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #19
SSBBW Katerina
FillOutUrProfileFellas

SSBBW Katerina knows EXACTLY what's going onSSBBW Katerina knows EXACTLY what's going onSSBBW Katerina knows EXACTLY what's going onSSBBW Katerina knows EXACTLY what's going onSSBBW Katerina knows EXACTLY what's going onSSBBW Katerina knows EXACTLY what's going onSSBBW Katerina knows EXACTLY what's going on
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleute View Post

All I can say is "Ditto". Good call, Teleute.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #20
vinarian
Crazy Person

vinarian can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesvinarian can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I think it depends on you - personally, i like women ALOT more than men, but i aldo do like men. What is normal? Thinking everyone has to be the same is what causes hate crimes - Who you are attracted to is normal for you.
vinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #21
spockck

spockck has said some nice things

no your not weird it happens to me on a daily basis
spockck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:05 AM   #22
SweetTea

SweetTea can now change their title
Default Resource

I'm happy you posted, cause I think a lot of people (read: ME!) went/are still going through a similar conundrum. I read a genius book about something called "sexual fluidity" and I think it explains a lot of what you're experiencing. this book explains all sorts of things, including changing sexual preference, lesbians who end up marrying a man, married woman who fall in love with other girls, girls dating back and forth between both genders, etc. I loved it because it made me feel normal abut something that has been a source of self-consciousness.

I remember when my family first found out that I had been secretly seeing another girl. There were tears, yelling, questions, disbelief, and a lot of heartache, but ultimately, my family knew that they were going to love me no matter what I did. It's the curse of being related to someone. I have faith that your family will react in a similar way: uncomfortable at first, but gradually learning to tolerate it, if not understand and respect your decision. I really hope everything turns out OK for you. Just remember the important thing is that you find a person that you love, not a gender that you love. Best of luck, darling!
XOXO
SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:19 AM   #23
strangeangel
Lady Strange

strangeangel can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesstrangeangel can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Ceece View Post
I identify as queer but have used the label "bisexual" because it is easier for "normal" people to understand what I mean by that. I am not particularly fond of the term bisexual though, because I think, for me anyway, it implies that my sexuality is black and white - men and women - binary. My sexuality is full of color and not defined by a label!!
I have to concur with Ceece - I have almost the same sentiments as Ceece, although I identify myself as pansexual and not bisexual if not as queer, but it's hard for people to understand the term "pansexual" sometimes as well. In which case I go back to identifying as queer. "Bisexual" does not at all describe my sexual inclinations, even though I do occasionally love to ogle gorgeous gay/bi men, prefer gay porn to straight and lesbian porn, and have a penchant for hitting on (literally hitting) cute BHMs on occasion.

And yes, I am back on DIMS
Old 11-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #24
Amarillowave

Amarillowave can now change their title

i like the word pansexual. Some days an erect penis gets my heart racing. Others, a hot lady turns me on. Some days, both at almost the same time, lol
Amarillowave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #25
Gentleman Zombie

Gentleman Zombie can now change their title

Quote:
So, I have a question. I think I am bisexual, basically because I am really fickle and kinda go in shifts on who I am attracted to, men or women. My question is, is that normal?
I think so, that is precisely how I am. It's no different than your desire for food, sometimes you want Chinese, other times you crave Mexican. I know it's a really lame analogy but I think it has some merit.

Humans are very self restricting, this comes from their need to identify with a particular group. We are herd animals. So unfortunately we impose imaginary barriers on ourselves. Our brains like order and struggle with ambiguity. You can't be a very regimented and restrictive individual and be bisexual. You need to be able to throw your hands up in the air and give up the idea of classifying yourself.

I think your description of the "shifts" you feel, vacillating between homo and hetero desires is the foundation of bisexuality. And like the others, I think even the term Bisexual really buys into society's need to define things in a binary way, this *or* that. Pansexual is good, I like any term that means fluid or dynamic.

When people ask me about my sexuality, I always reply "They don't have a word for what I am".