Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Event Discussion (Archive Only)

Old 07-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Happy Canada Day!!!

So proud to be from this glorious country of ours!!!

SO...

What are your plans to celebrate?

Or... if you arrive late for this... HOW did you celebrate?

For me, I'm possibly staying indoors for most of it unless I find out the berry farm is open, then I will probably hit them up for either some strawberries or even some raspberries! Nummy! I may also hit up the fireworks display by the riverside later on at night if I feel like it and find a way there, lol. I love being right at the river and seeing the fireworks explode RIGHT over my head

Tell me about your plans!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:07 AM   #2
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

I have no plans to do anything specifically for Canada Day today, just going to relax at home. Since it's an unseasonably cool day I may take advantage of it and do some baking...Food nerd that I am...

In all the years I've lived in Ottawa, I've never gone downtown to the Hill on Canada Day...
Old 07-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
Ruffie

Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Well super exciting plans here *snort*. PLan on getting the basement cleaned out and organizing materials for renovations. The plus is that its been so hot and humid that it will be cool in the basement. Sons supposed to come over for a family barbecue so marinating steaks, chicken, and ribs and will watch the fireworks from the backyard as we live 4 blocks from the riverbank. So work during the day and supper and evening relax.

Hope you all have an amazing day!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
bluver1234

bluver1234 has said some nice things

I plan on getting obliterated hahaha
Old 07-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Happy MapleSyrupNickelbackBaconBeaver Day Everyone!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
fingermonkies

fingermonkies has said some nice things

Just got back from an amazing midnight boat ride under one of the brightest starry skies that I've seen all year. Thanks Canada!!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:14 AM   #7
gypsy
gone

gypsy makes people happy simply by logging ingypsy makes people happy simply by logging ingypsy makes people happy simply by logging ingypsy makes people happy simply by logging ingypsy makes people happy simply by logging ingypsy makes people happy simply by logging ingypsy makes people happy simply by logging ingypsy makes people happy simply by logging ingypsy makes people happy simply by logging in

I had to work. However, I have today off, so that's a fair exchange, methinks.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:18 AM   #8
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

We ended up not going out at all, my son's gotten to that age where he isn't interested in the 'kid stuff' but also not interested in going to watch performances. I did do a bit of work on the porch I'd been meaning to get around to for a while. If I'd known we weren't going to go anywhere I'd have gotten around to re-finishing the window sills, but as it was I was just kind of killing time.

Oh, and ate too much hamburger and too much strawberries with whipped cream
Old 07-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
Mama_Baer

Mama_Baer has said some nice things

I am one of the "late arrivals".

We had a nice, quiet Canada Day. It was unseasonably cool, so we took advantage of it and had all the windows open to air the place out. My mum, who had been visiting, headed back to T.O in the morning. (Which was actually quite smart. She would have been probably the only one LEAVING Ottawa on Canada Day LOL)
Everyone went to bed early. Kinda boring LOL!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 AM   #10
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Hey Carla,

I taught myself " Oh Canada" in one afternoon.

Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyWQzLWW8C4

xo
Old 06-30-2011, 07:10 AM   #11
MattB

BUMP.

Happy Canada Day weekend everyone, I know there'll be more than a few of you starting early.

As for me, my annual streak of not going downtown for the festivities is safe. Even today with the arrival of the Duke and Duchess, downtown will be a mess...
Old 06-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

I would start some celebrations tonight, but can't

I dnt get the hype around those two and am glad I don't have to be in the city for their arrival. It's sure to be insane anywhere you go. Same in Montreal when they arrive there.

Might go get some Canadian Club later or some Crown Royal so I can celebrate from home. Looks like I'll be missing out on the fireworks this year because my mother isn't well.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Sorry your mom isn't well, Carla.

We'll be avoiding downtown Ottawa like the plague on the 1st. We had thought of going down this evening, because they usually do a dry run of the evening concert on the 30th. However someone at work said this morning that people were already showing up to hold good places, this morning! So might be pretty crazy already by this evening.

On the 1st my goals are to eat strawberries and go for a bike ride somewhere not crowded. My possibly go up along the river to watch fireworks (we are an easy bike ride from an island in the Ottawa river that has a good view of hte fireworks), if I can convince wife and/or son to go, but I doubt I'll go on my own.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

That sounds lovely, Tad Strawberries are still in season? Or are they near the end? I can never be sure. I like raspberry season, too, I just wish both of them had a longer time, lol. Back when I lived out in the country, I would bike to the berry farm because it was only a kilometre or two away.

I'll probably go out to a beach somewhere with mom and hopefully my dog if I can sneak her out properly. Most places aren't crowded on Canada Day as everyone is in the big central park of our city where all the festivities are held. I don't even know what's actually going on this year and forgot all about Canada Day until about 3 days ago, lol.

It's too bad there's no tequila produced in Canada. I'd go get that and mix it in my beer... that's from Mexico LOL.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
MattB

Sorry to hear about your Mom Carla...

However, without even looking anything up I can safely predict that Canada Day in Cornwall will involve the following...

1. A rock band of 50-year old men playing Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive songs...

2. Some form of Highland dancing...

3. Beer Tents. Beer Tents. Beer Tents...

4. Staring and gossiping...

5....oh, and Fireworks...

Old 06-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #16
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

The beer tents are the only redeeming feature of the event at Lamoureux Park. Lol. Unfortunately I won't be in attendance for anything and robably won't even celebrate from home. At this rate, I think I will be spending the entire day in bed. The summer is not a good season to be depressed, I'll tell ya that much.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
MattB

Well, at least you'll miss the one traffic jam a year there...

On another note, I had the opportunity to take on a 3-month temporary job (thanks to my current employer for giving me some extra time away) that allowed me to travel almost literally from one end of the province to another for the first time. I gotta say, Ontario is way more beautiful than I thought it was. I drove the whole time so I really saw the province.

Of course the various towns and cities seem very similar to each other, unless you get a chance to really spend some time in each one. There were times where I almost forgot where I was, it was all blending together so much.

Luckily, you can find a Tim's on every block...caffeine helped keep me going...
Old 06-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #18
BlueBurning
On Timeout

BlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this boardBlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this boardBlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this boardBlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this boardBlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this board

My fiancée and I are hosting a small party at our place, drinking some arnold palmers most of the day, bbq and watch the fireworks from our balcony!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #19
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Happy Canada Day to all, and most especially to my darling Timothy. I love you.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #20
fatgirl33
Just doodlin'

fatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 club

Happy belated Canada Day everyone! I hope everyone had a great time and got home safe.

Took my daughter to the fireworks, but she was tired and frightened... maybe try it again in a couple of years!

Happy 144th Canada!
Brenda
Old 07-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #21
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Hope you all had a good weekend!

All I remember from the last 3 days is that I went to a goth-drag party and didn't stop drinking after that point. Haha.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #22
MattB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melian View Post
Hope you all had a good weekend!

All I remember from the last 3 days is that I went to a goth-drag party and didn't stop drinking after that point. Haha.
A Canada Day Tradition...
Old 07-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #23
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

I'm getting my Canada Day drink on now (and for the past 3 days) I was a lil late cuz I had the booze ready, but had health issues. So I'm drinking it now
Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #24
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaSixx View Post
I'm getting my Canada Day drink on now (and for the past 3 days) I was a lil late cuz I had the booze ready, but had health issues. So I'm drinking it now
As long as the drinking gets done, we can excuse the lateness
Old 05-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #25
Olivio

Olivio has said some nice things
Default Happy Canada Day

I've heard that if you enter Canada with an ABA JD you still have to do another year at one of their schools and an externships in Canada before you can be licensed. Is this true?