Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 08-29-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
Ned Sonntag
Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default ThatLovelyCreakingSoundEchoesAcrossTheNation

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 · Last updated 9:27 a.m. PT

Waistlines continue to grow in U.S.

By KEVIN FREKING
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

WASHINGTON -- The gravy train - make that the sausage, biscuits and gravy train - just kept on rolling in most of America last year, with 31 states showing an increase in obesity.

Mississippi continued to lead the way. An estimated 29.5 percent of adults there are considered obese. That's an increase of 1.1 percentage points when compared with last year's report, which is compiled by Trust for America's Health, an advocacy group that promotes increased funding for public health programs.

Meanwhile, Colorado remains the leanest state. About 16.9 percent of its adults are considered obese. That mark was also up slightly from last year's report, but not enough to be considered statistically significant.

The only state that experienced a decrease in the percentage of obese adults last year was Nevada.

"Obesity now exceeds 25 percent in 13 states, which should sound some serious alarm bells," said Dr. Jeff Levi, executive director of the advocacy group.

Health officials warn that a high incidence of obesity in a particular state doesn't mean it treats the issue less seriously than others. States have different challenges to contend with when it comes to obesity, said Dr. Janet Collins of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"Populations are not equal in terms of experiencing these health problems," Collins said. "Low-income populations tend to experience all the health problems we worry about at greater rates."

Indeed, the five states with the highest obesity rates - Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia, Louisiana and Kentucky - exhibit much higher rates of poverty than the national norm.

Meanwhile, the five states with the lowest obesity have less poverty. They are Colorado, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Vermont.

The leanest states shouldn't take a whole lot of comfort in their ranking, though, said Dr. Jeffrey Koplan, a former CDC director.

"This epidemic is a nationwide epidemic. Some some states are higher, some populations have it higher, but the trend has been up in every state, the trend has been up for every ethnic group, the trend has been up for rich and poor," Koplan said.

The group's estimate of obesity rates is based on a three-year average, 2003-2005. The data comes from an annual random sampling of adults via the telephone. The information is designed to help the government measure behavioral risks among adults.

The government equates obesity with a body mass index, or BMI, of at least 30. Someone who is 5-feet-4 would have to weigh 175 pounds to reach that threshold.

The index is calculated by dividing a person's weight in pounds by his height in inches, squared, and multiplying that total by 703. For some people, particularly athletes who exercise a great deal, the BMI index could show them as being obese when in fact they are in excellent physical condition.

Trust for America's Health made scores of recommendations for reducing obesity. For example:

-Employers should offer their workers benefits that help them stay healthy, such as nutrition counseling and subsidized health club memberships.

-The government should mandate routine screenings that measure the fitness of Medicaid beneficiaries, plus subsidize or reimburse them for participating in exercise and fitness programs.

-At the local level, governments should approve zoning and land use laws that give people more chances to walk or bike to the store or to work. Local governments also should set aside more funding for sidewalks.

The group also makes recommendations for individuals. But the recommendations that people eat well and exercise are known to Americans. And clearly, many just don't care to follow.

Collins said tobacco use is another area that could be labeled a personal choice, but government agencies have taken many steps to provide people with the environment and information they need to help them make their choices. The same should be done with obesity.

Levi said that a lot of the things that the government tells people to do about their weight aren't realistic, which makes obesity a societal problem, not just a personal problem.

"If we're urging people to walk more, and their streets are not safe, that's an unrealistic expectation," Levi said. "If we're urging people to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, and they don't have access to a supermarket or the cost is beyond their capacity, then we're not asking them to take responsibility for something they have control over."

The report says the health costs associated with obesity are in the billions of dollars annually. Citing a 2004 report, the advocacy group said $5.6 billion could be saved when it comes to treating heart disease if just one-tenth of Americans began a regular walking program.

---
Ned Sonntag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
The Obstreperous Ms. J
Omniscient Minority

The Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThe Obstreperous Ms. J is a pillar of the Dimensions community

hooray for sausage, biscuits and gravy!!!
(damn, I'm hungry now )
Old 08-30-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'd settle for sausage and biscuits right now. Interesting article, Neddy. (Seriously, Ned, you're such a doll.) I find it funny that 175 at 5' 4" is OBESE. It just doesn't strike me as that heavy.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
activistfatgirl
donuts at the finish line

activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I can't believe I'm morbidly obese. Someone better keep an eye on me, I might drop on the floor and die of a massive heart attack ANY MOMENT.

*is it getting cold in here?*
Old 08-30-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
EtobicokeFA
Proud FA

EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

And, yet the life expectancy rate still rises.

"How many years must fat people live, before they can die of natural causes?" (A poem from the NAAFA convention)

"Health is not a body weight, it's a measure of fitness."
EtobicokeFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
altered states
seņor member

altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadeianLinguist
I'd settle for sausage and biscuits right now. Interesting article, Neddy. (Seriously, Ned, you're such a doll.) I find it funny that 175 at 5' 4" is OBESE. It just doesn't strike me as that heavy.
I discovered at the doc's office that at 5'10" and 200, I too am obese. If only this allowed me one of those blue and white parking permits....
altered states is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
Biggie2

Biggie2 has said some nice things

seriously. I am a 6'1, 220lb athlete who has 12% bodyfat. But, BMI says that because I dont weigh 185lbs, I'm borderline obese. Go figure.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:25 PM   #8
A Bolder Boulder FA
Fallout

A Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticedA Bolder Boulder FA never has a post go unnoticed
Default Feel sorry for me

I live in Colorado

A Bolder Boulder FA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:58 AM   #9
Lear

Lear has said some nice things

here's a good one,
I'm 5'10" and 330 pounds and according to recent tests only 15% body fat, so how does that explain *slaps belly* this jiggle? i think we need to check some of our tests. by the way iaccording to the extended BMI chart I'm about a 47, guess I'm morbidly obese then, and it's fun being here

Normal BMI Chart
Extended BMI Chart
Lear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:09 AM   #10
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres huevos
I discovered at the doc's office that at 5'10" and 200, I too am obese. If only this allowed me one of those blue and white parking permits....
It's like you're either dangerously thin or the fattest fat fat fatty in the world. At my current weight, I'm almost underweight by .5%. However, if I just gain 35 lbs., I'm "almost obese" according to those popular BMI things. Either I'm a tubby little thing or I'm rail skinny. Make up your damn mind, AMA.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:20 AM   #11
FreneticFangs

FreneticFangs can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFreneticFangs can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

119 lbs?
Are you kidding me?
I can't remember the last time I was below 150... much less 119 lbs. My ideal weight is 140 lbs (to be "normal"), but I'd have to loose an extra 20 lbs to be "ok" in their chart.
*munches on cookie* Yeah right! My DOG weighs 119lbs
FreneticFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:21 AM   #12
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

My dog's bigger than YOUR dog! She's 150. (But she's my tiny wittle lap puppy.)

My ideal weight's about 130, but working third shift retail, a lot of my work's physical(ly exhausting) and emotionally demanding. If you're a naturally slim person, you'll lose a lot of weight doing it. I think I was 150 or so when I started seven months ago.

Last edited by TheSadeianLinguist; 08-31-2006 at 07:24 AM.
TheSadeianLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:01 PM   #13
Durin

Durin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized rep

Oh If I were only just Obese.

I am 5'7" and weigh as of this morning 255.5 lbs. That means I have a BMI of around 40. The last couple of years I have been happy that my weight has stabalized around 250lbs.

I would like to get down to around 210lbs. That is my Sam Gamgee fighting weight I would like to be at. The funny thing is looking at the chart I would still be considered Obese at 210lbs. Which for me would be "skinny".

Also on the Weight for someone of my height the highest weight is only in the mid 350lbs. It's interesting the medical community would consider me Obese if I was 204lbs or if I was 355lbs.

Who get's to decide what the medically O.K. weight is anyway? Most of the people I would meet on the street would be considered Overweight or Obese.

WTF
Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:02 PM   #14
Lear

Lear has said some nice things

132-208 is the ideal weight range for me, I'm only a mere 200 pounds over the lower range, gues my next big weight goal should be 200 over the upper number then right?
Lear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:26 PM   #15
Moonchild
Seniory McMember

Moonchild does more than just post hot picsMoonchild does more than just post hot picsMoonchild does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Sonntag
"Populations are not equal in terms of experiencing these health problems," Collins said. "Low-income populations tend to experience all the health problems we worry about at greater rates."

Indeed, the five states with the highest obesity rates - Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia, Louisiana and Kentucky - exhibit much higher rates of poverty than the national norm.

Meanwhile, the five states with the lowest obesity have less poverty. They are Colorado, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Vermont.
The first problem I have with this is that apparently taking up extra space is considered a health problem, whether it's detrimental to your health or not.

Second... If you're from Louisiana and NOT fat, you're doing something wrong. There are three things New Orleans is known for - blues, jazz, and food. 33.3% of those make you fat. And the rest of the south... come on, they fry everything down there, and they would continue to whether they had money or not.

Colorado? You know what people do there? Ski and snowboard and crap. Of course they're thin there. Same with Vermont. Hawaii? Are you kidding me? Who expects Hawiians to be fat? And Massachusetts and Rhode Island are full of new-age hippie herbivores whose only source of calories is Starbucks. Pshh.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:40 PM   #16
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchild
The first problem I have with this is that apparently t
Colorado? You know what people do there? Ski and snowboard and crap. Of course they're thin there. Same with Vermont. Hawaii? Are you kidding me? Who expects Hawiians to be fat? And Massachusetts and Rhode Island are full of new-age hippie herbivores whose only source of calories is Starbucks. Pshh.
I have family in Vermont and defintely not thin there unless you count the rich parts resort towns or Manchester. I never saw so many very fat people in my life even in the poor parts of nyc!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:03 AM   #17
Fuzzy Necromancer

Fuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtobicokeFA
And, yet the life expectancy rate still rises.

"How many years must fat people live, before they can die of natural causes?" (A poem from the NAAFA convention)
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that.
Fuzzy Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:37 AM   #18
EtobicokeFA
Proud FA

EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Necromancer
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that.
My feelings too, when I first heard it!

"Health is not a body weight, it's a measure of fitness."
EtobicokeFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #19
fatlane
Starting Arvist

fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Life expectancy is up, along with weight... have the insurance companies upped their height/weight tables recently to keep up with the increasingly healthier US population?

Just remember that acceptance is 71.4% of size acceptance.
fatlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #20
Weejee

Weejee can now change their title
Talking RE: Starbucks

On Aug 31 Moonchild wrote:

" And Massachusetts and Rhode Island are full of new-age hippie herbivores whose only source of calories is Starbucks. Pshh."

Heck! I gained 10 lbs from Starbucks pastries, all within 2 months!

Weejee

Old 09-10-2006, 09:44 PM   #21
dan

dan has super-sized repdan has super-sized repdan has super-sized repdan has super-sized repdan has super-sized rep

Ned,,I was in Florida a week back and noticed no shortage of bbw's there..As a matter of fact, It was blantently clear that it is an epidemic there,and it looked great to me.. Must be southern living..
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:51 PM   #22
Waikikian

Waikikian has said some nice things
Default Fat people in a thin state

Hawaii always ranks as a thin state because it has a large population of fairly lean ethnic-Asians and Filipinos. But they are fatter than their genetic relatives in Japan, Korea, China, Southeast Asia and the Philippines. Once you've lived here awhile you can easily tell the difference, and it is partly a weight difference, between, say, a Japanese person and an American living in Hawaii who is of Japanese heritage.

Everyone in Hawaii is fatter than he would be on the mainland because restaurant servings are huge in tourist markets and the original Hawaiian culture was fat friendly -- momano, the Hawaiian word for fat, has a positive connotation. You can sort of tell, looking at people, that the ones who would weigh 100 lbs. on the mainland weigh 120 here, the ones that would weigh 120 there weigh 160 here, the ones that would weigh 160 there weigh 220 here, and the ones that would weigh 200 there are pushing 300 here. There are many, many SSBBWs here and it's not at all unusual to see women well above 200 lbs. running or walking in Speedos.

The upside is that the weather here encourages fat people to walk and this keeps them healthy. The downside is that some who do not exercise, or who get too many of their calories from sugar and carbohydrates, become diabetic, due in part to a predisposition to diabetes by Pacific Islanders and Asians, so it's a bigger problem here than on the mainland. But for the most part it's a paradise for big people and the people who love them.
Waikikian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:37 AM   #23
biackrlng

biackrlng can now change their title
Default fat people in hawaii

HAWAII HERE I COME THANKS FOR THE INFO

BIACKRLNG FROMTHE OTHER COAST EAST COAST THAT IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikian
Hawaii always ranks as a thin state because it has a large population of fairly lean ethnic-Asians and Filipinos. But they are fatter than their genetic relatives in Japan, Korea, China, Southeast Asia and the Philippines. Once you've lived here awhile you can easily tell the difference, and it is partly a weight difference, between, say, a Japanese person and an American living in Hawaii who is of Japanese heritage.

Everyone in Hawaii is fatter than he would be on the mainland because restaurant servings are huge in tourist markets and the original Hawaiian culture was fat friendly -- momano, the Hawaiian word for fat, has a positive connotation. You can sort of tell, looking at people, that the ones who would weigh 100 lbs. on the mainland weigh 120 here, the ones that would weigh 120 there weigh 160 here, the ones that would weigh 160 there weigh 220 here, and the ones that would weigh 200 there are pushing 300 here. There are many, many SSBBWs here and it's not at all unusual to see women well above 200 lbs. running or walking in Speedos.

The upside is that the weather here encourages fat people to walk and this keeps them healthy. The downside is that some who do not exercise, or who get too many of their calories from sugar and carbohydrates, become diabetic, due in part to a predisposition to diabetes by Pacific Islanders and Asians, so it's a bigger problem here than on the mainland. But for the most part it's a paradise for big people and the people who love them.
biackrlng is offline   Reply With Quote