Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 02-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Jeans addiction

I am not generally a slave to fashion and get just as much of a kick out of finding a nice shirt on one of Kohl's "80%-off!" racks than occasionally indulging in a designer item. And I generally don't obsess over wardrobe.

I do have one weakness though. Jeans.

I probably have at least 50 pairs, and though that's plenty enough for several lifetimes, I always find a reason why I really need another pair. There was a time when I just couldn't believe how nice and well-made very inexpensive jeans from Walmart or Target can be, and so I loaded up on those. There was a time when I overcame resistance to pay a lot for jeans when I found that CostCo often has premium jeans like Diesels and 7-for-all-mankinds at half off.

Vexingly, it's also in the very nature of jeans to generate the need for just another (pair or two). They don't cost a lot, so it's an impulse buy. You can't throw the old ones away because, after all, the rattier they look, the more fashionable and cooler they become (else we wouldn't pay extra to get pre-aged jeans with holes in them). And jeans have this infuriating tendency to fit great and then not fit right at all if you go up or down by just a bit. So you need winter jeans and summer jeans and jeans for times of indulgence and times of restraint.

My latest unfortunate quest is finding button fly jeans. No idea why. About 99.8% of all jeans sold have zippers, and it's usually only the expensive ones that have buttons, and yet that's what I am driven to right now. So when I go shopping and do locate a pair of button fly jeans in my size and the price isn't outrageous, I need to get them.

Auugh!
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

Let me count how many pairs of jeans are in this house that belong to me...

two pairs of levi's 511s
one pair of 684s or 784s (can't be certain)
six pairs from Silver Jeans
one pair from True Religion
one pair from Lucky Brand
three pairs from Target
and at least 4 other pairs...

So at least 18 pairs. o__o I agree with you on liking button-fly, but my real current kick is corduroy, which technically aren't jeans, but they're structurally similar to the point where I consider them a brother to regular denim.

My main issue is with thin denim. I don't mind a little stretch, but, for example, the pair of Lucky's I have are just this bizarre thin, semi-stretchy denim that I can't really wrap my head around.
The Orange Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Well, it's time for an update on my jeans addiction, whether you like it or not.

Shortly after I wrote the original post it was determined that I indeed had far too many jeans. So I spent an evening sorting them all out, reminiscing on when and how I bought each pair, debating on whether they really had to go or if I could someone justify hanging on to them. It wasn't easy. The thought occurred to me how weird it is that jeans generally cost the more the rattier and torn they look, but when donating, things should look as pristine and new as possible.

When all was said and done, a rather large stack of jeans, many un- or hardly worn, were sorted and packed for transfer to a charity. So mission accomplished, and I had recovered a sizable amount of closet space. And actually felt pretty good about it.

Have I fallen off the jeans addiction wagon since? Only twice. One time I found a pair of irresistible Area Postale button fly jeans I couldn't resist. The second time I discovered that Abercrombie & Fitch had all of their jeans, all button flys, 50% off. Couldn't pass that up. I am still lusting after a good pair of 7 For All Mankind (wonder how they got that name) jeans, but I've never found them for a reasonable price.

Diesel jeans remain my all-time favorites but they, too, cost a fortune. When I visited Switzerland with my son this past summer, we walked the famous Bahnhofstrasse shopping district in Zurich and found a whole Diesel store. Between the ritzy location and the exceedingly weak dollar-to-franc exchange rate, jeans there reached US$500. Yikes.

So there. Next update February 2013. Wish me well.
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
Shortly after I wrote the original post it was determined that I indeed had far too many jeans. )
By your wife, or...? You wrote it so passively, as if you have no say in the matter, Conrad. Is your better half governing your lower half? No one can help an addiction.

Last edited by Jes; 02-24-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Captain Save
never had a 40

Location: At the bottom of the coffee cup, with lots of chocolates and pastries.
Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

As addictions go, I think jeans is one we can accept and laugh about goodnaturedly. I doubt you'll be arrested and sent to the Betty Ford clinic for filling up the closet with them.

I have about five or six pair: two for summer, two for winter, and two for which I've gotten compliments, but they're a bit snug and getting worn out in an undisclosed location. I have no desire to surprise fellow shoppers at Walmart with what I have in my jeans, so they've been put in the 'not to be worn in public' pile.

Generally, most of my clothes shopping is in the military uniform shop, but when I do look for regular clothes I've been having a tough time trying to find button fly Levi's to replace the older pairs I have. Maybe I need to go with the flow and find new brands?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
MRdobolina
tasty kakes

MRdobolina knows EXACTLY what's going onMRdobolina knows EXACTLY what's going onMRdobolina knows EXACTLY what's going onMRdobolina knows EXACTLY what's going onMRdobolina knows EXACTLY what's going onMRdobolina knows EXACTLY what's going on

been collecting denim for a while now started with vintage (thrift store) levi's 501s .. gradually got into it .. eventually ended up with japanese made denim .. now i think im set for life with regards to jeans

captain,
if you really like that pair of jeans you can bring it to yr neighborhood dry cleaners they can patch it up and reinforce it so the jewels wont show
MRdobolina is offline   Reply With Quote