Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 03-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
Chuggernut

Chuggernut does more than just post hot picsChuggernut does more than just post hot picsChuggernut does more than just post hot picsChuggernut does more than just post hot pics
Default Online "Blind Idiot" translations?

I remember a few years ago someone using an online 'double-translation' service, that translated something from English to Language X, and then back to English, with humorous results (The reference to "Blind Idiot" comes from the earliest attempt:"Out of sight/ out of mind" translates into "Blind Idiot"!). Does anyone know of an online service that can do this? (And I don't mean Babelfish, or Google Translate, I mean one that will translate, and retranslate back again).
Chuggernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:09 PM   #2
RabbitScorpion
vienna carrier-no venom

RabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Funny, but what I had heard decades ago was that the US military had entered "Out of sight, Out of mind" for a Russian translation, placed the result in a Russian to English translation, and got "Invisible Insanity'.

When internet translation sites were young, and they had not gotten the idiomatic bugs figured out, there were a lot of hilarious failures. A resort town in Michigan called Gaylord opened its tourism site, touting it as "Your Four Season Vacation Destination". People in Europe tried to copy it from one language to another, only to be seen in English as "Homosexual God! You evacuate Your four flavored arrival point!".

I don't know of any site that does both translations in one fell swoop, but you could translate one way, then cut and paste (control V, highlight result, move cursor to first window, control P) to translate it back.