Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board

Old 01-16-2006, 01:07 AM   #1
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default How To's/What Is it? The forum info thread!

How to post a picture when you don't already have it on the web.

To place a picture in your profile.

Go to User Control Panel> Edit Profile Picture. Under where it says "Custom Profile Picture, use the browse button to browse your hard drive, finding the picture you want and then press "Save Changes."

To put a picture in a post.

Scroll down below the dialogue box you're typing in to make your post. See the bar/button that says "Manage Attachments"? Click it. Now, when the window pops up, you go to the area at the top that says "Upload File from your Computer" and hit the "Browse" button. Then search your compy for the pic you want to post and select it, then hit Upload. When it's done uploading, scroll down in the little window and hit the "Close Window" button. Then finish your post, or whatever and hit "Submit Reply." Voila! you're done.

What is Reputation (signified by the green and yellow boxes under our avatars) and how does it work?

This is an explanation from Conrad, our Webmaster. Often people wonder what these little boxes are for, and then even after we think we know, it may not be clear. So, thank you, Conrad, for the clear, concise explanation!

The rectangles are informally called "cans" (though the system itselfs calls them "pips"). The number of "cans" is related to the number of reputation points a user has. Reputation points are earned each time someone leaves a positive comment for you. When you hover the cursor over the "cans," a label shows up. That label is also related to reputation points, although it uses different numerical values than the cans. If you want to see what the labels are, click here.

As for the colors, the first five cans are dark green. You earn one for each 150 rep points. The next five cans are light green. You earn one for each 250 points. The next eight cans are golden. Each golden can costs 800 points. If you do the math, you can see that you max out after 8,400 points. That is when the cans are replaced by a big golden star, and the cans start over (in addition to the golden star).

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus

Last edited by Tina; 04-05-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:08 AM   #2
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have made this a sticky, and hope to make a more general sticky (or turn this into) of how tos/what is it? type questions. Please keep this thread free of other responses so it can be easily merged or added to, and will be strictly informative posts for those who need to find instructions or an answer to commonly asked forum issues.

All non-related comments or things that get addressed directly will be removed to keep this thread as useful and uncluttered as possible.

Last edited by AnnMarie; 01-16-2006 at 04:55 PM.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ann Marie, maybe you can add to the subject title of this thread something like, "and other helpful tips" or something like that?

This is for people who don't know how to Private Message (PM)

First make sure your PMs are turned on.

User CP> Edit Options> then check Enable Private Messaging.

Now, if you want to PM someone, click on their user profile and if the person has no avatar, then a menu will unfold and select "Send a private messsage to *whomever". It will then open up a page that will enable you to send them a message. If they have an avatar, then it will go to their profile and on the right, under their profile pic, you will have the option of sending them email through the board software, or sending them a PM. Easy peasy.

To easily see if you have any messages, up on the right of almost any Dim page, you'll see, "Welcome, [whatever your name/handle is," and it will have a link that says "Private Messages" and let you know how many are unread and how many you have total.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Old 01-16-2006, 11:25 AM   #4
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Changing Your Custom User Title

You can change your Custom User Title (words under your name, over your avatar) when you reach at least 100 posts (you'll become Senior Member), and get at least 30 rep points. **Conrad, if it's ONLY 30 rep points and post count is not an issue, please let me know or edit this**

When that happens, if you'd like to change your User Title, you do this:

User CP > Edit Profile > Optional Information

You type in your new User Title, then scroll to the bottom and click "Save Changes" - Voila!

Adding an avatar:

Go to UserCP (top left side of the page, first link)

Click Edit Avatar (left side column)

Click "Use Custom Avatar"

You can either link to an avatar that you have stored online someplace by typing the URL in the "Option 1" field

OR

You can upload an avatar to Dimensions by using the Option 2 field and navigating to an image on your own computer. Click upload to complete.

Note: avatars can only be 80 x 80 pixels wide for regular members, and 100 x 100 pixels wide for Clubhouse/supporting members.

File size is also restricted, just read the box to see how large the file size can be for uploading.

Last edited by AnnMarie; 06-18-2007 at 07:55 PM. Reason: added avatar instructions
Old 01-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
JMNYC

JMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging in

How does one place a photo to the right of your posts, like Ann Marie's flower and Tina's smile?

Thanks!
JMNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:20 PM   #6
Tina
Older and wiser now

Do you mean an avatar, Josh? Like the one with Ann Marie's bunny pic, or the pic of me, right below our user names?

Old 01-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
JMNYC

JMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina
Do you mean an avatar, Josh? Like the one with Ann Marie's bunny pic, or the pic of me, right below our user names?

Ah---think I figured it out.

And, oh my God, I just realized Ann Marie's image is a cat with a thingie around its neck.

Josh Magoo
JMNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:42 PM   #8
Tina
Older and wiser now

I was wondering about that "flower" bit in your post. Glad you got it worked out, and it looks like you are yummy chicken noodle soup.

Old 01-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #9
saucywench

Default Hey, Tina

How do you create a hotlink in here? An example as you have used before is to have the word Here be a link to what you want to point out. That's not an actual hotlink; I just faked it to look like one.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:40 PM   #10
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

To create a hotlink in posts:

Type the name of what you'd like to be the text of your link

Example: Click Here

Highlight that text (Click Here), and click the icon above that looks like a globe with a piece of chain on it. A box will pop up that says "http://"

In that box, either type or paste the URL of the place you are sending viewers. Make sure you don't paste another http:// after the first, or your link will not work.

Your link will then look like this: Click Here

(I know you asked Tina, but I figured I'd put it in here in case anyone else was wondering right now.)
Old 01-21-2006, 07:20 PM   #11
Tina
Older and wiser now

Heh. I've been doing it the hard way, by hand.

The code is basically (substitutuing parentheses for these brackets [ ])

(url=http://www.blahblah.com)Here's the link!(/url)

Thanks, AnnMarie.

Old 01-21-2006, 10:21 PM   #12
FEast
Bountifulicious!

Location: 18-53 College Point Blvd, Ste 14DJ, Flushing, NY 11356
FEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticedFEast never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Heh. I've been doing it the hard way, by hand.

The code is basically (substitutuing parentheses for these brackets [ ])

(url=http://www.blahblah.com)Here's the link!(/url)

Thanks, AnnMarie.
Me, too! I've been wonderin' why Conrad didn't set it up so we could do both, as some other vBulletin Boards do, and it never occurred to me to try it that way. Good to know, and a great time-saver.~Bountifully, Foosh

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." :bow: ~Eleanor Roosevelt
FEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:14 AM   #13
saucywench

Thanks, AM!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:55 AM   #14
olivefun
Belly bellissima

olivefun is a member of the 500 clubolivefun is a member of the 500 clubolivefun is a member of the 500 clubolivefun is a member of the 500 clubolivefun is a member of the 500 clubolivefun is a member of the 500 club
Default Bold?

If you want a part of your text to appear in bold,

Put one of these at the start of the selected text:
[ B]
and one of these at the end:
[ /B]

(In my example I put a space just after the first parentheses, so that this will appear here)
olivefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:11 PM   #15
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivefun
If you want a part of your text to appear in bold,

Put one of these at the start of the selected text:
[ B]
and one of these at the end:
[ /B]

(In my example I put a space just after the first parentheses, so that this will appear here)

OR you can just highlight the text you want to be in bold and click on the "B" icon above your typing area, it will insert the tags for you. Italic and underline are there as well!
Old 02-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #16
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Why isn't my birthday listed on the calendar? I did input my d.o.b when registering?
Old 02-10-2006, 12:38 AM   #17
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
Changing Your Custom User Title

You can change your Custom User Title (words under your name, over your avatar) when you reach at least 100 posts (you'll become Senior Member), and get at least 30 rep points. **Conrad, if it's ONLY 30 rep points and post count is not an issue, please let me know or edit this**

When that happens, if you'd like to change your User Title, you do this:

User CP > Edit Profile > Optional Information

You type in your new User Title, then scroll to the bottom and click "Save Changes" - Voila!
What are rep points? How do you get them?
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:43 PM   #18
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAndProud

A Basic Run Down on Rep Points

In a nutshell rep points are points given to you by other members.

Dimensions only allows members to give out positive rep, no negative rep can be assigned.

You can give another member rep by click on the second icon from the left in their user panel next to a post. It's a tiny scale of justice. Click on that, you will get a pop up menu and you can give rep there - type in a message to them if you'd like.

If you'd like to check the amount of rep that you have, you go to your UserCP, on the main page you will see any rep you have listed.

All users start out with 10 rep points.
Positive rep is indicated by a green icon. Neutral rep (rep given by someone who likes what you said, but doesn't yet have enough rep to actually add to your own) is indicated by a greyish/blue icon. A red icon would indicate negative rep, but again, that has been disabled on this system.

You must spread rep around quite a bit before you can give it to the same person twice, and you can only give out a certain amount of rep in a day.

Once you have over 100 rep points, you get your second green rep box (as seen below the avatars in the user panel next to people's posts).

I think that covers most of it.

Last edited by AnnMarie; 03-29-2007 at 09:39 PM. Reason: removed link to FAQ because it hasn't worked for over a year
Old 02-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #19
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles
Why isn't my birthday listed on the calendar? I did input my d.o.b when registering?
Is your DOB in your User CP (you said registering, so I'm not sure if that's what you meant)? I think it has to be under Edit Profile>Date of Birth> and you'd have to have either "display" option set from the drop menu. I think if you have the "hide" option chosen, that may prevent it from showing.

This is all I could find in the FAQ about them, so if it IS in your profile and you haven't selected the "hide" option, seems like it should have come up!

Birthdays may be shown on the calendar if the administrator has enabled this feature. Your birthday will automatically be shown on the calendar if you have entered the date of your birthday in your profile. Note: if you do not enter the year of your birth when you edit your profile, your age will not be shown on the calendar.

If you enter your birthday, your name will also appear on the main forum page when it is your birthday.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:47 AM   #20
saucywench

Quote:
I think that covers most of it in a nutshell... anything I've missed should be covered in the FAQ.
One thing that I've been wondering about that I didn't see in the FAQ...

If you've been repped by someone who hadn't yet made enough posts to the forums for their rep to count, does it count retroactively once they have made enough posts, or does the neutral rep remain neutral?
Old 02-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #21
Tina
Older and wiser now

From what I've seen it doesn't count, Saucy. Just rolls off the list and that's it. Nice sentiments, though.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #22
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

Quote:
From what I've seen it doesn't count, Saucy. Just rolls off the list and that's it. Nice sentiments, though.
Yeah, what she said. At least from what I've been able to tell. It's more a nice gesture, enjoy the warm fuzzy.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:43 PM   #23
saucywench

Quote:
Yeah, what she said. At least from what I've been able to tell. It's more a nice gesture, enjoy the warm fuzzy.
Oh, I do. Did. Just curious.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #24
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Argh...I finally got 31 rep points and I still am not able to change the name thing!!

I went to User CP > Edit Profile > Optional Information and there's only Instant Messaging, Home Page URL and Date of Birth.

Does it take time for it to be ok'd by moderators or something? (I just got it about 10 minutes ago.)
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #25
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

Quote:
Argh...I finally got 31 rep points and I still am not able to change the name thing!!

I went to User CP > Edit Profile > Optional Information and there's only Instant Messaging, Home Page URL and Date of Birth.

Does it take time for it to be ok'd by moderators or something? (I just got it about 10 minutes ago.)

It's automatic, we don't need to flip a switch or anything. Last I knew, it was over 100 posts and over 30 rep points, but perhaps Conrad decided to change that in some way. Hmm.