Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Hyde Park (Archive Only)

Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #126
disconnectedsmile
RATING: AWESOME

disconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Do they require a greater degree of emotional and personal investment than a woman?
once more: depends on the game, depends on the woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Snackbar View Post
"I'M A ZEBRA, I'M A ZEBRA, FUCK YOU, I'M A ZEBRA!"
Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #127
LalaCity

LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joswitch View Post
Whut? Seriously, I really don't get the whole "Oh noes! there's more than two paragraphs! I canNOT deal!! Aaaaarrrgh!!!"

It's just reading, people. It will not kill you.
Been saving this.

Last edited by LalaCity; 09-27-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #128
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

i think its so weird that people are so concerned about what guys do with their free time,as if it really matters. men are not so scarce that i really care. it doesn't bother me if some emotionally disconnected guy spends all of his time playing video games in the basement because he can feel in control there. for me he is totally irrelevant. i don't want to change him. i don't even care who he is. in my world he does not exist. i'm much more interested in someone engaged in a real life and doing something that truly matters that i can respect. he is as much of a non entity for me as i am for him. live long and prosper *favorite vulcan hand sign*

Last edited by superodalisque; 04-06-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #129
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamitch View Post
Dude you and Jo need to get together and swap stories

Actually we have an ongoing contest at the courthouse regarding whose ex-wife screwed them over the worst:

-- I win in the monetary damage category.

-- One of my coworkers wins in the whose ex was the craziest category (take note; women you pick up at a strip club are not likely to make good wives).

-- And one of the court clerks wins in both the whose ex was the meanest most cold hearted category and the overall title (his ex was truly evil).
Old 04-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #130
disconnectedsmile
RATING: AWESOME

disconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by superodalisque View Post
i think its so weird that people are so concerned about what guys do with their free time,as if it really matters. men are not so scarce that i really care. it doesn't bother me if some emotionally disconnected guy spends all of his time playing video games in the basement because he can feel in control there. for me he is totally irrelevant. i don't want to change him. i don't even care who he is. in my world he does not exist. i'm much more interested in someone engaged in a real life and doing something that truly matters that i can respect. he is as much of a non entity for me as i am for him. live long and prosper *favorite vulcan hand sign*
did you say something, super o? i didn't see you there.

edit: "This message is hidden because superodalisqueis on your ignore list"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Snackbar View Post
"I'M A ZEBRA, I'M A ZEBRA, FUCK YOU, I'M A ZEBRA!"

Last edited by disconnectedsmile; 04-06-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: because lol
Old 04-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #131
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnectedsmile View Post
did you say something, super o? i didn't see you there.
oops i didn't see you either
Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #132
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Current Mobile Industry Trends

Current Mobile and Tech Trends
February 23, 2011
Tech Industry Trends: Mobile Media – 2010 review & 2011 trends to watch
2010 review & 2011 trends to watch

"The number of mobile devices now surpasses the number of PC’s. 2 billion people connect to the internet; more than half connect through mobile devices. There are now 1.3 million apps on mobile devices, as compared to 10’s of thousands on PC’s. 2010 witnessed dynamic growth manifested in the mobile market.
“For many people, mobile media consumption has rapidly moved from an occasional activity, perhaps even a novelty, to an essential service they depend on every day while at home, work or on the move.” – comScore Mobile Year in Review.
Mobile media usage has grown way beyond talking and texting. Consumers use the internet and various content applications by the end of 2010:”…

•46.7% of US
•41.1% of Europeans
•over 50% of Japanese

The most growth over 2010 was seen in:

•auction sites
•shopping guides
•online retail
•Women’s magazine content

The leading content types are:

•social networking
•general reference
•and television guides

Social media use is led by:

•Facebook, reaching 90% of US and 85% European social media users
•YouTube
•Twitter

The most common mobile use includes:

•game playing
•searching
•taking video
•using maps

Games were the largest app content type over 2010, the number of people downloading a game increased by 52% in the US last year led by the free content choices which surpassed paid game content in early 2010.

Source:

RedfishTech
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well… maybe things might be changing as more women become involved in the industry

Website
Women Gamers

[SIGPIC]http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/image.php?u=841&type=sigpic&dateline=1258169105[/SIGPIC]
Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #133
superodalisque

its sad to think of so many people wasting so much time uselessly staring at their palms for hours on end--pointless. i wish the same attentions was given to solving the worlds problems. now that would be some game to win that would actually make a difference and make at least some people heroes for real.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #134
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
its sad to think of so many people wasting so much time uselessly staring at their palms for hours on end--pointless. i wish the same attentions was given to solving the worlds problems. now that would be some game to win that would actually make a difference and make at least some people heroes for real.
I think it's sad to put down people's hobbies like that. If the hobby doesn't take over their life, but adds enjoyment and enrichment to their lives, does it matter what it is? Whether it's gaming or crocheting, bowling or painting? It's only when anything takes over your life that it becomes a problem.

And lets be honest - while we can all do our part to help the world be a better place, not everyone is cut out for solving those problems.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #135
superodalisque

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
I think it's sad to put down people's hobbies like that. If the hobby doesn't take over their life, but adds enjoyment and enrichment to their lives, does it matter what it is? Whether it's gaming or crocheting, bowling or painting? It's only when anything takes over your life that it becomes a problem.

And lets be honest - while we can all do our part to help the world be a better place, not everyone is cut out for solving those problems.
i'm talking about when its taking over their lives. hey, if they aren't doing anything else, living, paying attention to the rest of the world, not accomplishing anything or even having personal relationships...? i think thats what we were talking about, folks exchanging it for healthy human relationships. yeah they do have a problem.

Last edited by superodalisque; 04-06-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #136
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
i'm talking about when its taking over their lives. hey, if they aren't doing anything else, living, paying attention to the rest of the world, not accomplishing anything or even having personal relationships...? i think thats what we were talking about, folks exchanging it for healthy human relationships. yeah they do have a problem.
same can be true for any obsession...

[SIGPIC]http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/image.php?u=841&type=sigpic&dateline=1258169105[/SIGPIC]
Old 04-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #137
Lamia
Like OMG!!

Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossystate View Post
I don't think either gender is safe from the that kind of shit. In as many, if not more, commercials, the woman is cleaning up, with a smile, messes made by boys and men playing hockey with bowls of salsa on the kitchen counter. I cringe everytime I see that yogurt commercial you are talking about, and I cringe when I see, for the millionth time, the woman or young girl as servant to the boys in the house. Both are pretty hostile, even when it less over the top. I know that you want mutual respect...and that is the ticket...but two times now you have certainly laid more of the responsibility for things being respectful and fun, at the feet of women.

@ Mack...lol...make me a sandwich...chop chop
Women should allow themselves more play time. I fail to see how this suggestion is some sort of burden. Not once did I suggest women be more respectful to men. Twice now you've taken two very positive statements I've made and put a negative spin on them. I think that says just as much about you as your implications make about me.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #138
LalaCity

LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!

This all begs the question: who's stopping these aggrieved men from playing video games and screwing polymer bimbos?

I personally don't have any problem with their decision to remove themselves from gene pool, so...
Old 04-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #139
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
Women should allow themselves more play time. I fail to see how this suggestion is some sort of burden. Not once did I suggest women be more respectful to men. Twice now you've taken two very positive statements I've made and put a negative spin on them. I think that says just as much about you as your implications make about me.
I didn't see them as positive, so I said what I did. I find it odd that you go to the place of saying that women ( could be any group ) need to " allow themselves more play time ", when all that is being discussed is one...one...activity. This could be men complaining about something lots of women are into. Who would say, " oh my gosh, men need to allow themselves more play time ". As if there are not a million other ways people ' play '. That's pretty much it.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:44 AM   #140
Lamia
Like OMG!!

Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
I didn't see them as positive, so I said what I did. I find it odd that you go to the place of saying that women ( could be any group ) need to " allow themselves more play time ", when all that is being discussed is one...one...activity. This could be men complaining about something lots of women are into. Who would say, " oh my gosh, men need to allow themselves more play time ". As if there are not a million other ways people ' play '. That's pretty much it.
I'm saying it in response to things said by women in this thread about men needing to grow up and man up and stop acting like little boys as if play is only for children.

Play is for everyone and I am aware that there are many ways to play. I didn't insinuate otherwise.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:45 AM   #141
Ernest Nagel
is old

Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Yeah, and you can have real, deep change-your-life love & loving with neither commitment nor obligation. Amazing I know. I've been so lucky in my life!
I don't doubt for a moment that's possible. I'm skeptical as to whether it's sustainable in more than a very few cases. I've discovered many people are uncomfortable with protracted happiness, especially if it feels undeserved. It took some getting used to for me but again, it was worth it.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:15 AM   #142
superodalisque

Quote:
i agree with that. but what people often seem to forget is that maybe more women WOULD play if they had serious partners in the responsibilities of life that they could rely on. if we all spent hours upon hours in the basement or in the mall or something the world and its infrastructure would grind to a halt. maybe this is why male earning power is going down, not because they are being paid less but they are spending less time actually working or focusing on their careers. right now women can have some play time but are still basically raising and teaching almost all of the children, going to college the most , getting the the best grades in every field, performing best on the job, providing most of the best healthcare and social services for people who are in need.

sometimes too, folks need to remember somebody has to play just a little less so that women can play a little more if thats whats deemed more desirable in a partner. mostly society that has left all of the serious stuff up to us for 30% less pay. in this so called equal world women are still expected to take care of most of the stuff in the home. domestic slaves don't have the time to play and tired people generally have less of a sense of humor. over work kinda does that to people. i personally think a lot of women should start saying no to all of that obligatory cooking and cleaning for one thing, but unfortunately a lot are already inappropriately brainwashed. they'd be much happier if they let it all go and did more of what they really wanted to do as well. the problem is that they have a conscience about the well being of others. and generally speaking, they are the only ones who shoulder the blame if things don't turn out well. misbehaving kids? look at the mother. messy home? criticize the mother.

Last edited by superodalisque; 04-07-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:19 AM   #143
superodalisque

Quote:
Originally Posted by LalaCity View Post
This all begs the question: who's stopping these aggrieved men from playing video games and screwing polymer bimbos?

I personally don't have any problem with their decision to remove themselves from gene pool, so...
woman looks at man and says: "ew! you smell like a big ol barbie."
Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #144
superodalisque

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyc View Post
same can be true for any obsession...
certainly, but we are talking about this one. and also one that somehow women are suppose to shoulder the blame for because we lack Barbie innocuousness and mouse click compliance to the whims of others.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #145
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Nagel View Post
I don't doubt for a moment that's possible. I'm skeptical as to whether it's sustainable in more than a very few cases.
My two longest LTRs lasted 3 and 4 years respectively. Pretty decent, really. Longer than many marriages!

Quote:
I've discovered many people are uncomfortable with protracted happiness, especially if it feels undeserved. It took some getting used to for me but again, it was worth it.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #146
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
certainly, but we are talking about this one. and also one that somehow women are suppose to shoulder the blame for because we lack Barbie innocuousness and mouse click compliance to the whims of others.
reductum absurdum
Old 04-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #147
superodalisque

Quote:
reductum absurdum
how so? there are plenty, though admittedly not all, in the thread who have said openly that they thought men exchanged video games for a relationship because relationships are hard work and women are tough to deal with. they have admitted that they feel more in control with a controller in their hands and thats why they prefer it? they don't have to take any chances or make much of an effort.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #148
Keb
Princess

Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Keb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Well, hang on--games and computer time are connecting people from around the world in a way that they weren't connected previously. When I think about Australia or the Netherlands, I think about individuals I know, some quite intimately, who live in those places--even if we've never met IRL before. If everyone could connect human beings, friends, to other places, it would be much harder to justify wars and the like.

Yes, people need balance and "real" experiences are important, too, but the friends I've made playing games online are really valuable to me. The world has become a smaller and more friendly place for me as a result.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #149
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

read the first artifcle mack27 linked to - it's not that the writer doesn't want to put any effort into dating. It's that the writer considers the effort/reward ratio to be far too great.

Also: it's quite possible to be easy, rather than tough to deal with, without being "compliant". For instance I'm an assertive guy, but also approachable e.g. at work when I'm teaching.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #150
Admiral_Snackbar
Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie

Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
@Snack:

Dude, again with the attempts at personal shaming in what is a discussion of politics and wider culture. :yawn:

Also, your assumptions about the whats, whys and wherefores of my dating life are both wrong, irrelevant and noneofyourfuckinbusiness.

Also, also I KNOW that anything on the internet can be found! I do have the courage of my convictions, thanks for asking. I never write shit on here that I wouldn't be prepared to stand by in other contexts.
As I said in my original post, it's only my opinion, not to mention we're on a web forum. However, when you tend to live the mantra "when you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras," and some other guy is going around yelling "I'M A ZEBRA, I'M A ZEBRA, FUCK YOU, I'M A ZEBRA!" it tends to draw attention, and not the good kind.

Quote:
@Snacky (again):

And really, dude, try and think before you attempt to put a BOOGA BOOGA scare in me. If I've posted at length about how I think marriage 2.0 = not so good - why would I be worried about putting off women from dating me who WANT marriage 2.0?? Surely the reverse would be case - I would be happy to filter out dates who want that.

I mean, c'mon you'll have to do much better than that.
I think you know full well that it's not a scare tactic I'm presenting; this has as much to do with your opinion of women as it does with marriage and you damn well know it. Don't be obtuse in thinking your diatribes only relate to your dislike of marriage 2.0, like it's a goddamn buggy version of some software. If you ever have to take Viagra, is your girlfriend going to refer to it as Joscock 1.5 Professional Edition?

Quote:
My two longest LTRs lasted 3 and 4 years respectively. Pretty decent, really. Longer than many marriages!
Again, for the record: Committed LTRS and common-law situations are NOT marriages. From a legal, societal, religious and child custodial standpoint, they are apples and oranges. But hey, put your words down, write a book--I'm sure there's a niche market for you to find common ground. Come back and tell us all about your 8-year common law non-marriage with kids that is wildly successful and she's as committed to not committing as you are. You're going to find women who think that way but in my experience (and at least in the States), unless she's a twice-divorced woman with three kids, the type of woman you're talking about is as rare as hen's teeth.